PDA

View Full Version : Make your Shield like an american quarter and bypass DR

silverwolfer
2013-02-21, 10:40 AM
Okay my theory

If you turn a quarter on its side, you see this

http://205.243.100.155/frames/Coin_Edge1.jpg

Now if you are using it like a throwing weapon,the edges hit someone not the flat parts of the shield. So in theory , if we use the quarter method, and make it two layers, or even three, you could have Silver, Cold Iron, and adamantium bypass DR all in the same attack.

You are welcome
-Silverwolf

Synovia
2013-02-21, 10:47 AM
Okay my theory

If you turn a quarter on its side, you see this

http://205.243.100.155/frames/Coin_Edge1.jpg

Now if you are using it like a throwing weapon,the edges hit someone not the flat parts of the shield. So in theory , if we use the quarter method, and make it two layers, or even three, you could have Silver, Cold Iron, and adamantium bypass DR all in the same attack.

You are welcome
-Silverwolf

Or the DM could just argue that the layer of Silver causes it to bounce off the DR/Adamantium creature's hard skin, and does no damage. Or your sheild delaminates.

Namfuak
2013-02-21, 10:51 AM
Or the DM could just argue that the layer of Silver causes it to bounce off the DR/Adamantium creature's hard skin, and does no damage. Or your sheild delaminates.

Honestly, if someone was willing to put this kind of money into a shield for the sole purpose of being able to bypass DR, I'd probably allow it. Or just let them make Captain America's shield for the price of all three and call it unobtanium.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-21, 11:50 AM
Were I the DM, I'd just heat your shield. Those metals don't have the same coefficients of thermal expansion and your shield would pop apart the first time you failed your reflex save against a fireball or dragon flame.

White_Drake
2013-02-21, 12:00 PM
Are those figures from extrapolation, assumption, or an extremely obscure splatbook?

silverwolfer
2013-02-21, 12:50 PM
Assumption probably , which means for me to have crafted this , I would have used a magical process, which means my shield is probably a wondrous item or magical arms and equipment, which means the DM would need to recognize, that it was all crafted together some how, so the fire trick wouldn't work , because the metals are not all riveted together, but magical put together.

or due it the simple way, I took three light shields, used sovereign glue, and made one heavy shield.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-21, 12:57 PM
Are those figures from extrapolation, assumption, or an extremely obscure splatbook?

Thermodynamics. Coefficient of thermal expansion depends on several characteristics of a material, and those materials aren't that similar.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-21, 01:02 PM
Thermodynamics. Coefficient of thermal expansion depends on several characteristics of a material, and those materials aren't that similar.

But one of them is entirely fictional. Put the adamantine between the silver and cold iron. Now you can't quote physics at the shield-maker, because no one knows the thermodynamic properties of fictional materials (but adamantine would probably have a coefficient of thermal expansion of WIN!).

TuggyNE
2013-02-21, 07:40 PM

The problem is that this is explicitly not a thing that works.
If you make a suit of armor or weapon out of more than one special material, you get the benefit of only the most prevalent material.

Now, sure, if you really want to, you can rule of cool this away, but the rules are clear and at least moderately reasonable.

But one of them is entirely fictional. Put the adamantine between the silver and cold iron. Now you can't quote physics at the shield-maker, because no one knows the thermodynamic properties of fictional materials (but adamantine would probably have a coefficient of thermal expansion of WIN!).

No matter what adamantine's coefficient is, it can't compensate for different rates of expansion on each side (assuming that there's enough heat being deposited to substantially raise the shield's temperature, or lower it for that matter). Best case, you'd have a coefficient roughly between the two, which would somewhat extend the usable range.

Gnome Alone
2013-02-21, 07:53 PM
Ok, sure, but wouldn't it make more sense to encase yourself entirely in shields, like all around your face and body and stuff, held up by pulleys and glue, and only attacking through a series of well-timed letter bomb deliveries? Perhaps by pegasi?

silverwolfer
2013-02-21, 08:23 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0eKfOQNkON0/T-npg7h72pI/AAAAAAAAMCQ/PPR3k8Td0GE/s1600/Oscar+can.png

like this?