PDA

View Full Version : Wizard/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge

SapereAude1490
2013-02-21, 12:07 PM
Hey. I'm gonna be playing a roguish campaign and staying away from combat, solving problems with bluff, diplomacy, illusions and the like. My friend is going high INT and CHA rogue, so a lot of skill points and social skills.

So I came up with this:

1 Wizard LvL 1 Spell Focus: Enchantment, Illusion
2 Warlock LvL 1 Beguiling Influence
3 Warlock LvL 2 Greater Spell Focus: Illusion Baleful Utterance
4 Wizard LvL 2
5 Warlock LvL 3
6 Wizard LvL 3 Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment?
7 Eldritch Theurge LvL 1 See the Unseen

I'm also choosing School Specialization: Illusion at the expense of evocation and necromancy.

Is this a viable build?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-21, 12:10 PM
Spell focus can't be applied to an Invocation as it's a Spell-Like ability.

I'd personally exchange the Wizard Levels for Sorcerer levels, Charisma synergy after all.

SapereAude1490
2013-02-21, 12:15 PM
What if my rolls on Charisma and Intelligence are the same?

Karnith
2013-02-21, 12:34 PM
It's better for both sides of your progression to be based on the same casting stat, so that you don't need to boost both of them: you only get so many stat increases from leveling up, and buying a Cloak of Charisma is cheaper than buying a Cloak of Charisma and a Headband of Intellect.

That said, you can build a perfectly serviceable warlock without having a high charisma score, if you select invocations that don't allow saves.

Psyren
2013-02-21, 12:37 PM

You still have stat increases to worry about. Which one will you put your boost to every 4 levels? Will you buy a Cloak of Charisma first or a Headband of Intellect? Which will you boost with Wishes first? And every Fox's Cunning you prepare is one less slot for an Eagle's Splendor, etc.

That's why it's better to be SAD than MAD. I recommend you go with the Sha'ir instead of the Wizard - just as powerful, but based on Charisma instead of Int. In addition, they cast divine spells too - so you can go into Eldritch Disciple too for 9ths and Dark invocations if you can either (a) get Turn Undead somehow or (b) use the adaptation (CM pg. 56) that drops the TU requirement from ED.

Onerai
2013-02-21, 12:43 PM
Spell focus can't be applied to an Invocation as it's a Spell-Like ability. *snip*

I believe you misunderstand... he's taking spell focus in illusion and spell focus in enchantment as his 1st and 3rd level feats. The "baleful utterance" invocation just happens to be being picked up at 3rd - it has nothing to do with the feat.

For the build: if you're not sure what to do with feats, there are a couple from "complete mage" based on fey heritage. One of them boosts the save DCs of both your Enchantment spells and Invocations, which is pretty cool. Just a thought.

Sugashane
2013-02-21, 01:11 PM
I'd tweak it by changing the Wizard to Sha'ir (Dragon Compendium). It is an arcane class that uses CHA AND you also have access to divine spells. So you qualify for Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple. :smallbiggrin:

SapereAude1490
2013-02-21, 01:19 PM
I appreciate your responses, but from my experience with the DM, he rarely gives us any magic items. You can't even purchase them.

And I intend to focus on non-combat. So dealing damage really isn't important.

I'll also be playing a human, so that's one extra feat.

Are the Fey Heritage and Fey Power feats really better than Spell Focus:Enchantment and Greater Spell Focus?

EDIT: Oh, one thing I should have mentioned earlier, the DM allows only two Books (other than PHB I and II)

Onerai
2013-02-21, 01:35 PM
I appreciate your responses, but from my experience with the DM, he rarely gives us any magic items. You can't even purchase them.

And I intend to focus on non-combat. So dealing damage really isn't important.

I'll also be playing a human, so that's one extra feat.

Are the Fey Heritage and Fey Power feats really better than Spell Focus:Enchantment and Greater Spell Focus?

EDIT: Oh, one thing I should have mentioned earlier, the DM allows only two Books (other than PHB I and II)

Your DC will be one lower, agreed. However, your DCs for your invocations will be raised along with your enchantments, and it does stack with Spell Focus if you choose to take that later. For what its worth, your CL for each is also boosted by one - handy for a theurge build.

Admittedly, Fey Heritage is something of a tax... but with no way to boost your saving throws using magic items, maybe the anti-enchantment save boost will come in handy? Doubly so if this is a sort of social intrigue based adventure.

If you're not using magic items at all and your stats are pre-rolled, I say go for the wizard over sorc, since it lets you get in earlier and it's more flexible.

SapereAude1490
2013-02-21, 02:21 PM
Well, my rogue buddy and I will mostly be stealing stuff and conning people.

So the invocations I'll need will be:

Beguiling Influence (for my Bluff skill)
Baleful Utterance (not sure about this one, but it's generally very useful)
See the Unseen(might be useful)
Spiderwalk(so I can climb the place we're robbing and throw a rope)

Later on, I'll get Walk Unseen, Fell Flight, Flee the Scene and Charm.

For my spells, I'll have 3+INT 1st lvl spells. I'm hoping that will be at least 6:

Charm Person (obvious use)
Sleep (for guards)
Silent Image
Feather Fall
Disguise Self
Color Spray (I doubt guards have more HD than 2, and even if they do, they'll still be stunned, losing dexterity bonus to AC and then my rogue buddy can sneak attack them with a sap - nonlethal damage)

With school specialization I'll have one extra illusion spell to cast. As a wizard I can also scribe scrolls if needed.

We will be planing our actions for extended periods of time(tracking guard patrols, befriending guards and officials, planing escape routes), not stealing stuff just like that. (think Ocean's Eleven)

8wGremlin
2013-02-21, 02:45 PM

That's a large omission!

Your two books are already taken

Complete Arcane, for the Warlock
Complete Mage, for Eldritch Theurge

Plus PHB 1 and 2

What is it that you want your character to do, in combat, social, out of combat etc.

SapereAude1490
2013-02-21, 03:05 PM
Well, our ultimate goal is to steal a crown from a king or an equivalent item. In the meantime, smaller jobs will do.