PDA

View Full Version : Magic item creation "duty cycle"

Cicciograna
2013-02-21, 01:19 PM
Both the DMG and the MIC state that in the process of creating a magic item the creator "works for 8 hours each day and cannot rush the process by working longer each day". We know that even Xykon complained about this rule.
I was thinking about removing it: would the impact be important?

Moreover, both books state that a character "can work on only one item at a time; starting to work on another item causes the materials used and XP expended on the first item to be wasted".
Again, would the elimination of this rule have meaningful consequences?

Thank you.

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-21, 01:22 PM
Warforged artificers would rejoice.

Duke of Urrel
2013-02-22, 04:21 AM
Keep in mind that any change that benefits PCs should also benefit NPCs. Making magic items easier to create should make them more readily available for everybody. Maybe magic items will become available at much lower than their market price on the black market!

I would consider bending the rules only for potions, which I feel are too restricted under 3.5 rules. If you sacrifice N times the XPs needed to brew one vial of potion and buy ingredients enough for N vials of potion, you should be able to brew N potions in the time it takes to brew one. Just use a bigger cauldron.

Gotterdammerung
2013-02-22, 10:50 AM
Changing these rules would only affect time. For a lot of games, time is a non-issue and therefore has no balancing factor. Many adventuring groups just decide to take a month off when their crafter needs time to do something.

If your campaign already considers time problems in the game to be a non-issue, then not only is it fine to make these changes, it is probably a good call. Fast-forwarding can often hurt the story, and with these changes a player has less need to fast-forward.

If your campaign tracks time religiously and often is presented with time sensitive plots, then It would be a bad idea to make these changes.

rot42
2013-02-22, 10:58 AM
Gotterdammerung pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Races of Stone has a magical forge that lets you work all night without sleeping all day.

Alienist
2013-02-22, 11:00 AM
I could be mistaken, but there doesn't appear to be any limit on the number of Dedicated Wrights you can make.

If there's no limit on the number of Dedicated Wrights, then there's no limit on the number of magic items you could have them making all at once.

You can't complete a +1 sword any faster, but you could make twenty, two hundred or even two thousand of them at once (given the same number of Wrights to work on them, and a nigh-infinite amount of gold and xp to pay the creation costs))

Cicciograna
2013-02-22, 11:21 AM
Changing these rules would only affect time. For a lot of games, time is a non-issue and therefore has no balancing factor. Many adventuring groups just decide to take a month off when their crafter needs time to do something.

If your campaign already considers time problems in the game to be a non-issue, then not only is it fine to make these changes, it is probably a good call. Fast-forwarding can often hurt the story, and with these changes a player has less need to fast-forward.

If your campaign tracks time religiously and often is presented with time sensitive plots, then It would be a bad idea to make these changes.
Good call. Thank you very much.