PDA

View Full Version : DMing Accessories

Big Fau
2013-02-21, 02:42 PM
Hey all, I've recently come into some disposable income and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for additional gaming accessories? I have 8 packs worth of dungeon tiles and a case full of figurines, a couple pounds worth of dice (weight, not currency), pencils and other essentials, and a decent DM screen, so I've got the basics down. I was wondering if there was anything anyone could think of that would be interesting?

Just a note: I know I said I have some disposable income, but please try to keep suggestions cheap.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-21, 02:51 PM
Battle mat with erasable pens. Ensure that the pens match the mat; different mats are erasable with different pens.

An iPad / equivalent has its uses.

A rules lawyer on retainer :smallsmile:

ArcturusV
2013-02-21, 02:53 PM
Well, investing in an Engineer's Pad is always good when I want to DM. It's pretty much the perfect format for quickly sketching out and planning any location/encounter. Then again I don't use dungeon tiles or anything myself. My group gets a blank grid on the table (Laminated), and some grease pencils to mark in stuff as needed. Works wonderfully actually.

Big Fau
2013-02-21, 03:02 PM
My group has no need for another battlemat, as two players own one each and we always have at least one on-hand (we bring in the second when we have a large battle coming up).

And an iPad is a bit rich for my blood. Trust me, I would have at least 1 tablet for my group to share if I could actually afford it.

zilonox
2013-02-21, 03:06 PM
I like the Area of Effects templates from Steel Squire (http://www.steelsqwire.com/prod02.htm). Quite handy for spell casters / traps.

Lolzords
2013-02-21, 09:01 PM
I've got a massive orange d20 which works pretty well as an impromptu flaming sphere

yougi
2013-02-22, 09:18 AM
1- Save the money.
2- Buy shares in a new company right before its stock explodes.
3- Buy this (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?456735-My-new-Gaming-Table-The-Emissary-from-Geek-Chic-%28Picture-Heavy%29).

Big Fau
2013-02-22, 09:34 AM
1- Save the money.
2- Buy shares in a new company right before its stock explodes.
3- Buy this (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?456735-My-new-Gaming-Table-The-Emissary-from-Geek-Chic-%28Picture-Heavy%29).

No space. I play at my local community college, not a house. Something like that would end up in a teacher's lounge somewhere, and we'd never get to use it.

yougi
2013-02-22, 01:59 PM
Well it was meant as a joke anyway.

In truth, there are imo three levels of D&Ding gear:

1st level: books, dice, paper, printed grid and blocks to represent characters

2nd level: MORE books, MORE dice, minis and battle mat

3rd level: Electronics OR high-end, 1500$+ set ups (like that table I linked)

IMO, if you have all the books you need, a battle mat, enough dice to change set when they roll badly, and enough varied minis to not always go "so this orc mini stands in for the demon, and this goblin archer is the minotaur", the next step is a large leap in price: a tablet, a large monitor to use as a map (photoshop and layer masks make for great maps). However, the difference in gaming enjoyment is not that big (from my limited experience).