PDA

View Full Version : What to do about a bad D&D experiance.

AthasianWarlock
2013-02-21, 02:57 PM
Last September my friend asked if I wanted to start playing 3.5 again. I am a senior in college and had not played since freshman year where the same friend made a op druid and the campaign ended in about a month due to time constraints. This time around we had a different DM and my friend made the same druid. I made a monk and the other character was a knight. Sessions went like this
Me: I will attack...ok I deal 2d8. Are they evil (for exaulted feats)...90% of the time (no). ok
Knight: Ok I knights challange...the creature isnt intellegent it fails (90% of the time)...ok 1d12
druid: My veolocoraptor is going to attack with 2 claw attack, ok now they take dex damage, ok now its helpless. I will use ocular spell which I readied to cast sandblast and kill this guy and will use wall of waves to kill the other 4 guys

It became annoying so I decided to retrain my character to become something relevant so I retrained him to be a psion. After a retraining quest he was a lev 7 psion lev1 subverted psion (dm approved I had to get help from an aboleth as a part of the quest). Immediatly at the first session I had the MOI psion recharge trick banned. This was after an extensive battle so I had no power points. I asked to rest and he said we might be attacked so I tried using pycoportive shelter. He said I could not use it. Then he had us fight the rest of the dungeon with me simply delaying action each turn. We knew we were about to fight the boss and I asked again, he said no. Then the druid menioned he was out of spells. So he let us rest. At the next session a similar situation happened. I asked to rest he said no, and then when I used the power he said a group of wizards would appear and kill me if I tried. He also banned psicrystals having feats, syncronocity, and item familiar. I have heard he banned ring of substance in the other party. What is to be done here. I want to have a relevant character but i am blocked at every attempt to make a character to do something relevant with the parties planar shepard. Should I just take my ball and go home?

Barsoom
2013-02-21, 03:01 PM
Seems like the DM is clearly favoritizing one player. Are there any complex interpersonal relationships involved?

Anyway, if the DM is intent on being like that, your only chance might be to talk to the Druid's player. If he's your friend, you may have a shot at talking out the power disparity between his characters and the others, and having him voluntarily scale down a bit - even if the DM wants to favoritize him.

ArcturusV
2013-02-21, 03:11 PM
Yeah. Or talk to the guy who was playing the Knight as well. Honestly if two out of three players say something, "Lets rest"... the DM should go, "Okay, you rest". He might try to punish you for it. But at leat you still get the rest. You have the Knight guy watching over you to help handle stuff. The Druid can... do whatever. Maybe refocus your build on buffing up the Knight and turning him into a bigger beast? Eh. It's hard. It depends on a lot of situational particulars we don't have here.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-21, 03:25 PM
1. Ask the knight player (out-of-game) if he's having similar frustrations.
2. Ask the DM what aspects of your character he has a problem with so that you can change them. Do so politely and make it clear that you're just trying to avoid friction.
3. Ask the druid player to maybe tone it back a bit, as you feel like you're being rendered useless.

Jornophelanthas
2013-02-21, 04:22 PM
This is not an in-game issue that can be fixed with in-game solutions.

This is an out-of-game issue between you and the DM, and it needs to be fixed out-of-game.

If you want to address this, you need to find a way to broach the subject with the DM, and possibly the other players as well. What you want is to voice your concern and hope that the others acknowledge this concern and are willing to work towards solutions.
(In order to voice your concern, though, you need to understand exactly what causes your frustration.)

I would advise to not be confrontational, as this may cause people to become defensive and prone to not wanting to think with you.

---

Having said that, it may well be possible that your DM is not willing to change at all. If this is the case, perhaps the best solution would be to leave that game, and find another. Some of the other players may even want to join you in another game (whether they decide to leave the current game or not).

Lord Torath
2013-02-21, 05:39 PM
I asked to rest he said no, and then when I used the power he said a group of wizards would appear and kill me if I tried.
This is a very bad sign. He is telling you that, as the DM, he is willing to go to any lengths to keep your character from using your basic class abilities.

This is something that needs to be discussed away from the gaming table. I would recommend you discuss this with your druid friend first, an probably also the knight player before attempting to discuss it with the DM.

Will you give us an update as to how the situation resolves?

qwertyu63
2013-02-21, 08:04 PM
Having said that, it may well be possible that your DM is not willing to change at all. If this is the case, perhaps the best solution would be to leave that game, and find another. Some of the other players may even want to join you in another game (whether they decide to leave the current game or not).

This. D&D is a game. You play it to have fun. If you're not, the DM has failed. Tell him, and if he doesn't fix it, kick him out of the DM position and replace him with someone else.