PDA

View Full Version : Bardsader-Update

Gwendol
2013-02-21, 03:40 PM
So, a while back I got some solid advice on making a "bardsader" and I took him for a testdrive against an Ettin today (arena-type fight). And it went quite well.

For prep I cast alter self (Tren) and exp retreat.

Once the fight began I started IC +3 from spells and items. After some unsuccessful ranged attacks from both sides I managed to line the Ettin up for a Battle leaders charge, while starting dragonfire inspiration as a swift action. I rolled a crit, which would have downed the giant right there, but wanted to continue the fight. Anyway, the ettin full attacks next and misses. My next attack comes up and I use Foehammer, wich just finishes the poor thing off.

I've played a lot of martial characters, but this was just sooo efficient. Hat off for the crusader!

Srasy
2013-02-21, 04:55 PM
What would you think would be funner from your experience a bardblade or a bardsader?

Gwendol
2013-02-21, 05:54 PM
I don't think I can answer that. At least not with some more experience. Considering I only have 2 levels of crusader so far I'm not even sure there is much difference?
Mine is designed more as a support character and secondary healer than a tank or melee monster, but my experience today showed he will not be too shabby in the damage dealing department.

Ravenica
2013-02-21, 05:59 PM
I keep reading it as Bardsaber... Obi wan never told you about your father *holds up hilt, Elan pops out*

Gwendol
2013-02-22, 01:53 AM
LOL! Love the image!

Gwendol
2013-02-22, 05:31 AM
What would you think would be funner from your experience a bardblade or a bardsader?

Ok, having looked over ToB with this in mind I can offer some perspective. There are some definitive differences between warblades and crusaders, where a bardblade might be more inclined to TWF, while a bardsader be more of a supporting THF BFC/charger/back-up healer type.

For me the latter is more interesting, but that's more because of details in the bard levels and how I play him than the choice of martial adept.

Piggy Knowles
2013-02-23, 05:28 PM
Glad it worked out well for you! I happen to really like bardsaders myself, although I've only played them in shorter term campaigns.

As far as crusader versus warblade, in general I prefer the crusader's ability set alongside bardic music, but YMMV. Basically you're looking at more Charisma-focus and party-friendly Devoted Spirit fun on the one side, and more offensive firepower on the other. I wouldn't necessarily call one version better than the other.

It might just be playstyle that makes me prefer th former. Bard + crusader just feels right, while bard + warblade feels more like I'm a warblade who happens to have pretty good bardic music, too.