PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Looking for creatures or templates with disease immunity.

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-21, 05:13 PM
Thread title pretty much says it all. I'd rather not use undead or constructs, and that's where I've run into a bit of a wall. I mean, I'm the DM, so I suppose I could always handwave this away, but I'd rather not.

Any ideas? I'd prefer lower or mid-CR monsters (It wouldn't really be fair to drop the Tarrasque on these guys, even if it does meet my criteria), but I'll take what you can find.

Asteron
2013-02-21, 05:17 PM
Half-Celestials (MM pg 144-146) are immune to disease.

JeminiZero
2013-02-21, 11:53 PM
Why do you want creatures with Disease immunity? If you need protection against just one disease, the Disease Immunity Feat [Heroes of Horror] should work well enough. If Magic of Incarnum is in play, you can get it by Shape Soulmeld: Pauldrons of Health or Necrocarnum Mantle.

Alternatively you can opt to become immune to the effect of the disease, but not the disease itself. Disease usually does ability damage, so anything that stops that should work well enough. To this end, there is the Voidmind template. A single level in Binder can give Naberius which provides ability fast healing.

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-22, 11:01 AM
Half-Celestials (MM pg 144-146) are immune to disease.

Well, I'm looking for things for the ("good"-aligned) party to fight, but thanks anyway.

Why do you want creatures with Disease immunity? If you need protection against just one disease, the Disease Immunity Feat [Heroes of Horror] should work well enough. If Magic of Incarnum is in play, you can get it by Shape Soulmeld: Pauldrons of Health or Necrocarnum Mantle.

Alternatively you can opt to become immune to the effect of the disease, but not the disease itself. Disease usually does ability damage, so anything that stops that should work well enough. To this end, there is the Voidmind template. A single level in Binder can give Naberius which provides ability fast healing.

The party (unbeknownst to them) is going to be traveling through a plague-ridden area, and I want some monsters that would plausibly still be unaffected by it, without using a lot of undead. I wanted to have that as a (very subtle) hint for the players that the only things still left there were immune to disease, but I had trouble finding any living creatures that fit the bill.

It is just one disease, so I suppose I could use Disease Immunity.

Where's Voidmind from again?

Garagos
2013-02-22, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm looking for things for the ("good"-aligned) party to fight, but thanks anyway.

Make the half-celestial some sort of "fallen" good guy. A former pally turned blackguard, a spellcaster who was tempted and corrupted by a demon/devil/undead/etc. Like you said, you're the DM, you can make it work if you roleplay it a certain way.

Gnaeus
2013-02-22, 12:08 PM
Its PF not 3.5, but Blight Druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/blight-druid) sounds very thematically appropriate.

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-23, 12:12 AM
Make the half-celestial some sort of "fallen" good guy. A former pally turned blackguard, a spellcaster who was tempted and corrupted by a demon/devil/undead/etc. Like you said, you're the DM, you can make it work if you roleplay it a certain way.

Hrm... I like this idea. I think I've got a place where that'll work, actually.

Its PF not 3.5, but Blight Druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/blight-druid) sounds very thematically appropriate.

It seems easy enough to port over; pretty much all the things it replaces are class features for the 3.5 druid.

Actually, that'll work really well; one of the party's enemies is an evil druid, and this suits him much better than the regular druid stuff. Plus, it's infinitely better than blighter. :smallamused:

HalfQuart
2013-02-24, 01:24 PM
There's also the Paladin 3 class feature Divine Health, which gives immunity to all disease. The Paladin variants (Freedom, Tyranny, and Slaughter) also get Divine Health, so alignment really isn't a problem.

HalfQuart
2013-02-24, 01:30 PM
There's also:
Geriviar (MM3) CR19

And from the List of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff), there is:
Immunity to disease
Monk
Paladin
Tattoed Monk 1, ecl 6, Complete Warrior, crane tattoo
Contemplative 1, ecl 11, Complete Divine
Radiant Servant of Pelor 2, ecl 8, Complete Divine
Warforged
Necrocarnum Mantle, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Pauldrons of Health, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Buer, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic
Nosomatic Chirurgeon 5, ecl 10, Eberron: Dragonmarked
Shadowcaster 15, Tome of Magic - sustaining shadow, see text
Child of Night 6, ecl 11, Tome of Magic - stacks with sustaining shadow, see text
Bone Knight 8, ecl 12, Eberron: Five Nations - plus other immunities
Disease Immunity, feat, Heroes of Horror, against one disease only, bonuses vs others
Seeker of the Song 4, ecl 14, Complete Arcane, all allies within 30', see text
Sanctified One 1 (Wee Jas), ecl 6, Complete Champion, for one minute per day
Fleshwarper 2, ecl 9, Lords of Madness
Pale Master 7, ecl 12, Libris Mortis
Haztaratain 7, ecl 12, Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona
Pestilence, domain, Spell Compendium, immune to the effects, but still a carrier
Feast, domain, ???, against ingested diseases
Heart of Steel, warforged graft, Faiths of Eberron