View Full Version : Neewa - Sha'ir Monkeys from OZ

8wGremlin
2013-02-21, 05:32 PM
Neewa

Winged Monkey of Oz

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6351180/Oz_Monkey_by_jimmyemery.jpg

Coolness factors

Flying Blue Monkeys are Cool He's wearing a Fez, and everyone knows Fez are cool He's even wearing a bow tie (honest!), bow ties are cool oh and...9th level casting any sorcerer/wizard spells +Air, Chaos, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Law, Luck, Sun, and Water domain Binder EBL=14

The Story

So their I was just menacing a bunch of munchkins for the wicked witch, I fink you call em halflings and she's all "give me your children... Or I'll turn your leader in to a newt..." And a bloody great big house lands on her head!I means a sodding great big wooden house... BAM! Kerr-splat..Just her skinny legs poking out... And her ruby shoes...

Anyways iz scarper and takes to the air to assess the situation..Witchy isn't moving and the munchkins aren't doing nothing and then this blond haired girl steps out, wiv her familiar a scruffy looking dog...

Now I can sense a disturbance in the force as Witchy karks it..And low and behold that fairy goody two shoes from up north comes air walking in... So I creep closer and have a gander

"oh no, your amongst the little people now" she says and starts talking to this blond haired witch calling her self Dorothy, from the land of Can-Ziss, came with her dog familiar Toto or sumfink , "didn't mean to land the house on the witch"

Anyhows the northern fairy bint says she can't do plannar travel and she should go see the artificer Oz in the Emerald city.. She even gives Dorothy the ruby slippers, so she can bay that old con artist Oz, the cheek...I should have got them as severance pay, I mean do they know how hard it is for a winged monkey to get work ... Plus the fact I'm gonna have to learn a new trade now.

So I buggers off, and flys to ransack the old girls house in the woods, before anyone else gets there...

I has a think and then sets of for the old girls sister... Another wicked witch, we this one at lease may be able to teach me her style of magic, binding or something..

So WitchySis is right royally pissed, going on about the bloody ruby slippers and how this upstart Dorothy killed her sister.. Sends me and a couple of mates to track her down and kidnap her... I demand payment and a suitable training regime is put in place, she even introduces me to one of the vestiges... Nasty looking thing, but hey Monkeys got to make a living...

Well I'm good at me job and eventually we've tracked down Dorothy, and she's managed to team up with a few others including a warforged, and a cat-folk, and some awakened construct of a scare crow... I suppose it makes sense heading to that Artificer quack Oz, seeking upgrades...

Any how we manage to grab Dorothy and get her back to the WitchySis's mountain fortress and I wake her up with one of my special kisses...Up she jumps, and before you can say "I'm a monkeys uncle" ( I am actually)She throws a bucket of water over WitchySis, and WitchySis starts melting, I mean normal bucket of water, shouldn't do anything then realize that that witch Dorothy, must have cast a silent, stilled spell of bless water or somethingWitchySis, contingency spells and ward packs protect her from nearly anything but not holy water... So she melts and Dorothy leaves to go and collect her reward and then tries to buggers off in some planar traveling contraption Oz has cobbled together, which he messes up and goes himself.

Goody two shoes fairy witch turns up and she's been working on what magic the ruby slippers have, and se realizes that they are in fact plannar traveling shoes, now what arr the chances of that!

She then sends Dorothy home, and has become the most powerful Witch in Oz, I must say she is a fiend whet comes to these power plays. Well played I say..

Well this is too much I loose two good employers in as many weeks, it's not gonna look good on my resume, I can tell you!

Then I starts thinking.... Im all alone in a mountain fortress full of magical books, and stuff, it's impossible to get in to unless you can fly. I have all the stuff from her sister Witchy as well.

So I go and consolidate my new found wealthy, lay low for a few years to train up my skills, I think revenge is in order, I mean what kind of evil genius for a better tomorrow would I be if I let some goody two shoes upstart kill off two of Oz premier power-brokers....

So I learn more and more about both sisters magic, and then I realize I can combine them both... And start to research this.

I start to clean out the rest of the area, and for many years I'm having to defend my castle from the incursions of good parties wanting to rid the land of evil, and there ain't much of a resistance Fromm team evil at the moment, the power vacume hasn't been filled. And then to top it all off some of team evil decide to go solo and try and take my castle!

Well one succeeded, that charlatan Oz, he came back, said Can-Ziss, was boring, and not to his liking, so he decided to take my castle. Butit cost him 90% of his forces and the castle is now a ruin. I managed to get away with some decent trinkets, and some stuff, including Ozplanar travel gizmo.

It didn't take me to Can-Ziss, but did take me to another realm, odd place this, they have never seen my kind before, or the way I cast magic.. It's been working to my advantage, but the spirits here are influencing meI woke up on the first night here and all my old fur had come back, and my voice had changed with in a week of fighting off the local inhabitants of a tower in a wild dark forest.

The tower is impressive, lovely mountains in the background, river and stream. But it looks as if there was a massive battle here once, and loads of trees have over grown the whole area, and it looks as if someone did some mining in the area. Loads of Orc and black Orc ghosts...Oh and a signs of munchkins, bless their hairy little feet...

Over the ensuing years I kept researching where Can-Ziss was, and the where-abouts the Witch Dorothy lives... I think I'll pay her a visit, give her my warmest regards...

The Build

Race
Vanaras (OA) +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength Monkey-people Unseelie fae (DMC): -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma total stat changes: -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence,+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma Unseelie fae, Wings (fly 60'), Darkvision 60 ft, +4 racial bonus to Intimidate, Vernal Touch (Su), Damage Reduction:Cold Iron, Iron Vulnerability (Ex) Vernal Touch (Su): To receive a vernal touch is like being kissed by springtime itself, full of life and promise. At will, as a standard action, the seelie fey can touch a creature with a vernal touch. This touch removes dazed, nauseated, fatigued, and exhausted conditions from living creatures. For undead creatures, a seelie court fey's touch attack acts like a cleric's ability to turn undead with a cleric level equal to the unseelie fey's total Hit Dice -2. Unlike a cleric's turn ability, each use of vernal touch affects only the touched undead. Iron Vulnerability (Ex): The mere touch of iron (including steel) deals point of damage to the unseelie fey. A hit with an iron or steel weapon deals an additional +1d6 points of damage. Unseelie fey with more than 12 Hit Dice gain damage reduction, which protects them from most of this vulnerability. When an unseelie fey of 12 or more Hit Dice is hit with or touched by an iron weapon, calculate damage including the bonus for iron vulnerability (1 point for a touch or normal damage +1d6 for a successful attack) and then apply the creature's damage reduction.
Stats
Str 10/Dex 12/Con 14/Int 12/Wis 08/Cha 18 (32 pt buy) Str 06/Dex 14/Con 12/Int 14/Wis 10/Cha 20 (racial) + level ups and items
Build Notes
Keep Dipolomacy Maxed Get Bluff, and Sense Motive to5 Ranks ASAP, for synergy Get Spellcaft and Conentration next
Neewa

{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1 | Sha'ir 1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Bluff 4 , Diplomacy 4 , Knowledge (the planes) 4 | Versatile Spellcaster, flaw(Extend Spell) flaw(Arcane Preparation)| Summon gen familiar

2 | Binder 1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Diplomacy 5, Intimidate 3 | - | Soul Binding (1 vestige)

3 | Binder 2 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Diplomacy 6, Intimidate 4, Bluff 5, Sense Motive 1 | Improved Binding | Pact augmentation (1 ability), suppress sign

4 | Anima Mage 1st| +0| +0| +0| +2| - | - | Soul binding 1 , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5 | Anima Mage 2nd| +1| +0| +0| +3| - | - | Exploit vestige, soul binding 2 , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6 | Anima Mage 3rd| +1| +1| +1| +3| - | Persist Spell| Soul binding 3, vestigial awareness , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7 | Anima Mage 4th| +2| +1| +1| +4| - | - | Soul binding 4 , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

8 | Anima Mage 5th| +2| +1| +1| +4| - | - | Soul binding 5, vestige metamagic (1/day) , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9 | Anima Mage 6th| +3| +2| +2| +5| - | -| Soul binding 6 , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

10 | Anima Mage 7th| +3| +2| +2| +5| - | - | Soul binding 7, vestige metamagic (2/day) , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

11 | Anima Mage 8th| +4| +2| +2| +6| - | - | Soul binding 8 , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

12 | Anima Mage 9th| +4| +3| +3| +6| - | - | Soul binding 9, vestige metamagic (3/day) , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

13 | Anima Mage 10th| +5| +3| +3| +7| - | - | Soul binding 10, vestige casting , +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

14 | Geomancer 1st| +0| +2| +0| +2 | - | - | Drift 1, spell versatility 0, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

15 | Geomancer 2nd| +1| +3| +0| +3 | - | -| Drift 1, ley lines +1, spell versatility 1, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

16 | Geomancer 3rd| +2| +3| +1| +3 | - | - | Drift 2, spell versatility 2, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

17 | Geomancer 4th| +3| +4| +1| +4 | - | - | Drift 2, spell versatility 3, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

18 | Geomancer 5th| +3| +4| +1| +4 | - | - | Drift 3, spell versatility 4, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

19 | Geomancer 6th| +4| +5| +2| +5 | - | - | Drift 3, ley lines +2, spell versatility 5, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

20 | Geomancer 7th| +5| +5| +2| +5 | - | -| Drift 4, spell versatility 6, +1 level of existing spellcasting class
[/table]

Soul Binding (EBL = 14)

Typical binds

Naberius Naberius 1st (DC 15, 4 ranks in Bluff or Knowledge or Profession skill) Disguise Self (as spell, standard action) Faster Ability Healing (1 damage / round, 1 drain in all abilities / hour) Persuasive Words* (30', Command as spell, Suggestion at 14th, Will neg.) Silver Toungue (can take 10 on any Bluff or Diplomacy check, even if threatened, and as a standard action and don't suffer -10 for rushed check) Naberius's Skills (pick skills = Con that can't be used untrained, and can use them)

Zceryll, "The Star Spawn" - (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718) Zceryll 6th (DC 25) Alien form: While bound to Zceryll, you gain the pseudonatural template (page 161 of Complete Arcane). Alien Mind: Your mind is alien and does not work like that of a normal mortal. You are immune to confusion, insanity, and weird spells. In addition, you receive a +1 bonus per four binder levels on saving throws against mind-affecting effects. Bolts of Madness: You can fire a ray that dazes an opponent for 1d3 rounds. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with a range of 100 ft. + 10 ft./binder level. A successful Will save negates the effect. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds. Summon Alien: You can summon any creature from the summon monster list that a sorcerer of your level could summon. Any creature you summon with this ability gains the pseudonatural template. Thus, at 10th level you could summon any creature from the summon monster I-V list. When you reach 14th level, you can summon any creature from the summon monster I-VII list. You can only summon creatures that can be affected by the pseudonatural template. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds. Telepathy: You gain the telepathy ability with a range of 100 feet and the Mindsight feat (as described on page 126 of Lords of Madness).

Astaroth- (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) Astaroth 4th (DC 22) Angelic Lore: Astaroth constantly whispers the secrets of reality in the back of your mind, allowing you to draw on his own nigh-infinite knowledge. This functions as the bardic knowledge ability (PH 28), based on your effective binder level. Astaroth's Breath: Once every 5 rounds, you can exhale a 60-foot cone of foul-smelling gas. Creatures within the cone must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round and sickened for an additional 1d4 rounds. Those who make the save are merely sickened for 1 round. Creatures immune to poison or disease are immune to this effect. Honeyed Tongue: You gain a +4 competence bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks. Master Craftsman: While bound to Astaroth, you gain a +4 competence bonus on all Craft checks. In addition, each time you bind with Astaroth, you may select one item creation feat as a temporary bonus feat. So long as you continue to bind with Astaroth, you may use that feat as though you possessed it normally; you must still spend all standard gold and XP for any item you create, and you must still provide all necessary spells for a given item. If your effective binder level is not at least as high as the necessary caster level to take a specific item creation feat, you cannot choose that feat. For instance, a 4th-level binder could not choose any item creation feat with a prerequisite of caster level 5th or higher. Word of Astaroth: You may make a suggestion, as the spell, with a caster level equal to your effective binder level. You must wait 5 rounds before attempting another suggestion, and at any given time, you may only have a total number of people under the effects of this ability equal to your Charisma bonus.

Sha'ir Spells

Here you can pretty much pick what you need, as you can tailor your spells, and persist 3 of them.
I'm not goign to put much detail in here reguarding your spell choices, but depending upon what type of sorcerer/wizard you want you can tailor the spells to match, oh and swap out, if and when you need.
As an example I'll mention the Polymorph spells shinanigans

If you wanted to use your geomancer given natural attacks then polymorph may be your answer Polymorph - all binder and geomancer effects are class features so transpose overDraconic Polymorph in to a Hydra, but it has all the drift effects as well Persist Draconic Polymorph (if Zceryll, your an Outsider, with the psudonatural template) Persist Wraithstrike
Spells Known
Sha'ir can get use their slots to get any spell on the Sorcerer/Wizards spell list, and a from any of the following domains (which are cast as divine spells) Air, Chaos, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Law, Luck, Sun, and Water. Their spell known list only gives them a bonus on the Diplomacy check needed to get the spells. Spells know - polymorph example load out, but you should pick your own. (see Sha'ir class for details) 0 level - 9: 1st level - 9: 2nd level - 9: Heroics, Wraithstrike 3rd level - 8: 4th level - 7: 5th level - 6: Dragonic Polymorph, Lord of the Sky 6th level - 5: 7th level - 4: 8th level - 3: 9th level - 2:
Class Features

Sha'ir Diplomacy checks (DC needed)
{table=head]Spell Level|Arcane/Divine|Arcane Known|Divine (unknown)[b]

0 | 20 | 18 | 26

1 | 22 | 20 | 28

2 | 24 | 22 | 30

3 | 26 | 24 | 32

4 | 28 | 26 | 34

5 | 30 | 28 | 36

6 | 32 | 30 | 38

7 | 34 | 32 | 40

8 | 36 | 34 | 42

9 | 38 | 36 | 44
[/table]

NB -1 per Sha'ir level +1 per increase in level caused by the use of a metamagic feat. +2 per attempt after a failed check the gen makes to retrieve the same spell in the same day.

[b]Spells per day
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

2nd | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

3rd | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

4th | 5 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

5th | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | -

6th | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | -

7th | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | -

8th | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - | -

9th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | -

10th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | -

11th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | -

12th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | -

13th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | -

14th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | -

15th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | -

16th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | -

17th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 | -

18th | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3
[/table]

Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

2nd | 6 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

3rd | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

4th | 7 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

5th | 7 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

6th | 8 | 5 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | -

7th | 8 | 6 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | -

8th | 9 | 6 | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | -

9th | 9 | 7 | 5 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - | -

10th | 9 | 7 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | -

11th | 9 | 8 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | -

12th | 9 | 8 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | - | -

13th | 9 | 9 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | - | - | -

14th | 9 | 9 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | -

15th | 9 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | - | -

16th | 9 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | -

17th | 9 | 9 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | -

18th | 9 | 9 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2
[/table]

Tricks
Sha'ir only retain spells retrieved in memory for Sha'ir class level/hours after this time the spell has to be fetched again. To get round this the feat: Arcane Preparation, can be used to fill the slots with any of the spells known list of the appropriate level, and these slots will not empty until cast With Naberius bound, we get to take 10 on Diplomacy checks! With Sense Motive and Bluff at Ranks 5+, we get +4 Synergy bonus to Diplomacy With stage 2 drift, "You become as comely as a dryad" we gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy Courtier's Obi (belt, 2k OA pg 140) +10 circumstance bonus to Dipolomacy "FEZ"; Admirals Bicorne (Stormwrack, 50k) +5 unnamed bonus to Charisma rolls, +5 leadership, +5 Profession (sailor), +2 morale bonus to attacks, saves and skill checks, amplify your voice 100'. With Astaroth bound You gain a +4 competence bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks. With Astaroth bound we gain a Magic Item Creation feat (swapable every time we bind Astaroth) With Zceryll bound we get 100 feet Telepathy and the Mindsight feat With Zceryll bound we get the pseudonatural template With Zceryll bound we get to use Summon Monster I-VII list with the pseudonatural template 1/5 rounds Use Heroics to get Martial Study Persist 3 spells a day via vestige metamagic Dipolomacy 56, and you can take 10
oh and you have a familiar too...

Drift stage 1: Light, downy fur covers your skin. stage 1: Your voice sounds like a dog's, though it is still intelligible. stage 2: You become as comely as a dryad. (You gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks.) stage 2: Your skin adapts like that of an octopus. (You can change color to blend with your surroundings, gaining a +4 bonus on Hide checks.) - mainly to keep me Blue.... I like being Blue! stage 3: Your fingers grow hawklike talons. (You gain Weapon Finesse and can make two claw attacks per round for 1d3 points of damage each.) stage 3: Your toes grow lionlike claws. (You can make two rake attacks for 1d4 points of damage each if you gain a hold on your target.) stage 4: You can trip like a wolf. (If you hit with a natural attack, you can attempt to trip your target as a free action; see the Wolf entry, page 283 of the Monster Manual.) - very useful in polymorph

Lay Line: +2 CL if in Forest terrain

Magic Items of note:
"FEZ"; Admirals Bicorne (Stormwrack, 50k) +5 unnamed bonus to Charisma rolls, +5 leadership, +5 Profession (sailor), +2 morale bonus to attacks, saves and skill checks, amplify your voice 100'. Sudden Stunning Weapon Courtier's Obi (belt, 2k OA pg 140) +10 circumstance bonus to Dipolomacy The Veil of Allure (Sandstorm) grants a +2 save DC to all charisma-based supernatural abilities. usual standard tombs and such

Build extentions

I went with taking a flaw to keep the monkey aspect of the character and as I wanted to tell the story of the Wizard of Oz from a flying winged monkey perspective. I could have taken human, and this would have given the extra feat, and more skill points. but I felt that the ascetic was more worthwhile

There are many way to extend this character, picking your own binds, and spells, add in traits.

If Leadership was allowed you'd make an awesome leader, CHA primary, great diplomacy, decent magic items as well

But to reiterate, I'm a flying blue monkey in a fez and bowtie

Sha'ir from dragon magazine compendium, p. 51 Geomancer from Complete Divine variant, p. 41

Help Needed

This was my build for one of the Iron Chef challenges... anyway to improve it...
oh and the special source was geomancer, which I'm quite happy to drop...

8wGremlin
2013-02-21, 05:34 PM
reserved for notes

Q: could I enter Anima Mage with one level of Sha'ir If I took
Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige and Versatile spellcaster

need Intimidate as class skill and Metamagic feat?

123456789blaaa
2013-02-21, 05:35 PM
You should probably spoiler the build (and possibly put spoilers in that spoiler).

8wGremlin
2013-02-21, 05:46 PM
You should probably spoiler the build (and possibly put spoilers in that spoiler).

Done - and Yes you were so right!