PDA

View Full Version : (Ack!) Groups that didn't work out?

randomhero00
2013-02-21, 09:15 PM
It was pathfinder, the people were great, but everything else was meh. We started at lvl 1 (which I hate) and we rarely roleplayed. Now me personally, I need some good roleplay, so it was pretty bad for me. Plus starting below 5 is boring to me as I don't feel like a hero below that.

Share your own experiences with groups that didn't quite work out.

Kane0
2013-02-22, 12:23 AM
Me, the new guy. I just went with it.
One good roleplayer, borderline rules lawyer but otherwise cool
One decent roleplayer and great guy to play with
One roleplayer who did the same thing every time, but was otherwise good (skillmonkey/archer)
One roleplayer who did a similar thing every time, and was fairly annoying
One player, woudnt roleplay but was easy to get along with
two players that rarely showed and wouldnt roleplay
one player that rarely showed and roleplayed well

Game was Pathfinder. I wasnt big on it and was more familiar with 3.5 but the differences were minor and i settled in pretty well. Started at level 2 for one game and 1 for the other. The former was my first tabletop experience and I made plenty of rookie mistakes, but in the latter I homebrewed a fantastic character but unfortunately the game ended. Was allowed to export my character for another time though.

The first two DMed different games and when I volunteered I didn't allow so many players. Turned out far better with some of them gone.

Vitruviansquid
2013-02-22, 04:25 AM
I enjoy playing with groups who are intensely into roleplay; you can develop your character, get to know theirs, and get wrapped up in unfolding an epic story together with everyone at the table.

I enjoy playing with groups who don't really roleplay; they're generally more laid back, provide good roll-playing, and lets you hang out with your friends and crack out-of-character jokes all the time.

I can think of no hell worse than playing with a group where half the players are intensely into roleplay and half the players don't really roleplay.

Griffith!
2013-02-23, 01:16 AM
I enjoy playing with groups who are intensely into roleplay; you can develop your character, get to know theirs, and get wrapped up in unfolding an epic story together with everyone at the table.

I enjoy playing with groups who don't really roleplay; they're generally more laid back, provide good roll-playing, and lets you hang out with your friends and crack out-of-character jokes all the time.

I can think of no hell worse than playing with a group where half the players are intensely into roleplay and half the players don't really roleplay.

Seconded.

It won't let me post just one word.

SowZ
2013-02-23, 05:20 AM

My group typically roleplays pretty strongly, often doing things directly harmful to their character to roleplay properly and open up new story developments. I barely plan anything since they make the story happen. But frick, they still crack out of character jokes all the time. For being roleplayers, they are one of the less focused groups I've GMed.

It can be a little grating as the GM, but they all seem to have a good time with it which makes up for it all.