PDA

View Full Version : The Sacrosanct (3.5 Base Class). Lemme know what you think!

Xaotiq1
2013-02-22, 01:30 AM
Title says it all. Tell me what you think of this "Yet another divine gish" class. Looking at a high tier 3 to mid tier 2, but think I missed the mark a bit. I thank you in advance for any and all constructive criticism.

The Sacrosanct

Game Rule Information

Abilities: Charisma is vitally important to Sacrosanct as it determines how hard their miracles are to resist, how often they can call on their miracles, how often they can turn undead and how many undead they can turn, and provides a boost to their saving throws. The physical ability scores generally fall next. A Sacrosanct may very well find them self at the front of combat quite often.

Alignment: A Sacrosanct is a champion of their deity. As deities come in all alignments, so do Sacrosanct. A Sacrosanct must have an alignment within one step of their deity’s (that is, it may be one step away on either the lawful–chaotic axis or the good–evil axis, but not both). Exceptions are the Sacrosanct of St. Cuthbert (a lawful neutral deity), who may choose only between lawful good and lawful neutral for their alignment. A Sacrosanct may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.

Hit Die: d10

Starting Gold: 6d4x10

Starting Age: As Bard (PHB, 190)

Class Skills
The Sacrosanct's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), and Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis) and Speak Language (Int), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level:(4+Int modifier) x4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level:4+ Int modifier

Class Table
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|
Miracles Known

1st|+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Aura, Domains, Miracles (Orisons)|

2nd|+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Additional Domain, Divine Grace|

3rd|+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Divine Whispers +1, Turn Undead (Su)|

4th|+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus Divine Feat|

5th|+5|
+4|
+1|
+4||

6th|+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Additional Domain, Miracles (Homilies)|

7th|+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Harrowing Wrath|

8th|+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Revelations of Faith (Orisons)|

9th|+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Divine Whispers +2|

10th|+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7||

11th|+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Additional Domain, Miracles (Blessings)|

12th|+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bonus Divine Feat|

13th|+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8||

14th|+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Divine Whispers +3|

15th|+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9||

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Additional Domain, Miracles (Divinities)|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Negative Energy Immunity|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Revelations of Faith (Homilies)|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Divine Whispers +4|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Bonus Divine Feat, Divine Rapture|
24[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of Sacrosanct.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Sacrosanct is proficient with all simple weapons, light martial weapons, all one handed martial weapons, and their deity’s favored weapon if it does not fall on those lists. They are proficient in all armors and with all shields, except tower shields.

Aura (Sp): A Sacrosanct of a chaotic, evil, good, or lawful deity has a particularly powerful aura corresponding to the deity’s alignment.

Domains: A Sacrosanct deity influences their alignment, what magic they can perform, their values, and how others see them. A Sacrosanct chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A Sacrosanct can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.
Each domain gives the Sacrosanct access to a Miracle at each spell level he can cast as well as a granted power. The Sacrosanct gets the granted powers of both the domains selected.
At 2nd, 6th, 11th, and 16th level, the Sacrosanct gains access to another one of their deity’s domains. The spells (1st-8th level) on that domain's list are added to the Sacrosanct's spell list. They gain that domain's granted power and an additional daily use of any other domain power with that restriction.
NOTE: When a Sacrosanct takes a devotion feat, they lose access to that domains granted power as well as access to spells on that domain’s list that fall in to the “Blessing” and “Divinity” categories. Also, If your deity has fewer than 6 domains, hash it out with your DM. Seriously, there’s enough splat, 3rd party, and homebrew material out there to choke Cthulu!

Miracles (Sp): Miracles are spell-like abilities granted to Sacrosanct by their Deity. They are taken directly from the domain spell list of any domain the Sacrosanct has access to. Miracles come in 4 “grades” Orisons, Homilies, Blessings, and Divinities. In addition to its grade, every miracle has a spell level equivalent, which is used in the calculation of save DCs and for other purposes. An orison has a level equivalent of 1st or 2nd; a homily, 3rd or 4th; a blessing, 5th or 6th; and a divinity has a level equivalent of 7th. The level equivalent for each miracle is given in its description. Miracles function in all ways as spells. This includes casting time and whether or not it overcomes spell resistance, requires an expensive component, etc.
When a Sacrosanct gains access to a new grade of miracles, they automatically learn a miracle of that grade; they can also choose to swap out any miracle they know for a new one as long as both are at least one grade lower than the highest grade of miracle a Sacrosanct can use; and it appears on one of the domain lists they have access to.
Miracles can be used only a certain number of times per day like spells. Orisons can be used 3+Cha modifier per day. Homilies can be used 2+Cha modifier per day. Blessings can be used 1+ Cha modifier per day. Divinities can be used Cha modifier per day (max uses per day for all miracles cannot exceed ½ the Sacrosanct class level).
The caster level for a miracle is equal to the Sacrosanct level. The save DC for the sacrosanct's miracles is 10 + the spell level + their Cha modifier.

Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a Sacrosanct gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Divine Whispers (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, the sacrosanct begins to recieve messages from their deities' heralds and messengers. You may even speak with them to gain knowledge of events to come, or insights in to the unseen. You gain a +2 insight bonus to Knowledge, Initiative, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.
The bonus increases to +4 at 9th level, +6 at 14th level, and +8 at 19th level..
Turn Undead (Su): When a Sacrosanct reaches 3rd level, they gain the supernatural ability to turn/destroy undead if they are good, rebuke/command undead if they are evil. A Sacrosanct who is neutral must choose one or the other. The exceptions are Sacrosanct who follow Wee Jas, who always rebuke/command undead; and Sacrosanct following St. Cuthbert who must always turn/destroy undead.
They may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + their Charisma modifier. They turn undead as a cleric of their level would. (See Turn or Rebuke Undead, page 159.)
A Sacrosanct with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gets a +2 bonus on turning checks against undead.

Bonus Divine Feat: At 4th, 12th, and 20th level, Sacrosanct gains any [Divine] feat that they qualify for. Alternatively, they may take Extra Turning or any devotion feat for a domain they have access to (See Above).

Harrowing Wrath (Ex): A sacrosanct of 7th level and higher adds their Cha modifier as a sacred bonus to all attack and damage rolls. Note: The campaign this is built for doesn't label bonuses from evil deities "profane". If you need to though, feel free.

Revelations of Faith (Su): Your orisons and homilies become supernatural abilities instead of spell-like abilities at 8th and 18th level respectively.. This does not affect the number of uses per day. They simply do not cause attacks of opportunity nor are they affected by spell resistance.The save DC for your Orisons and homilies is 10 +1/2 your hit dice + your Cha modifier.

Divine Rapture: A sacrosanct who reaches 20th level is imparted with many gifts from their deity. They gain the following:

Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
Immunity to acid, cold, and petrification.
Resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10.
+4 racial bonus on saves against poison.
Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil (or good) creatures, this ability provides a +4 sacred bonus to AC and saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the Sacrosanct. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil (or good) effect and a globe of invulnerability, lesser, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals class level).
Teleport (Su): Sacrosancts can use teleport, greater at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that they can transport only them self and up to 50 pounds of objects.
Tongues (Su): Sacrosancts can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.

Sacrosanct and Multiclassing
A Sacrosanct may qualify for prestige classes that require an arcane or divine caster level or the need to cast a specific spell that appears on their list; but they may not enter PrC’s requiring the Sacrosanct to cast a specific level of spells. Sigh, they can multiclass like Warlocks.

Sacrosanct Feats
Extra Miracle
Prerequisites: Able to perform Homilies
Benefit: You learn to perform an additional miracle from your list, as long as it is one grade lower than the highest you can perform.

Alternate Class Features
Holy Vanguard
Gain: You learn and project any major marshal, psychic, or Draconic aura with a bonus based on your level.
Lose: Your Aura (If you do not have an aura due to a True Neutral alignment; you still gain the benefit of this feature at 1st level), and one miracle known at 6th, 11th, and 16th levels.
Mage Killer
Gain: You gain the “Mage Slayer” line of feats, even if you don’t meet the prerequisites. You also gain spell resistance equal to 10+your Sacrosanct level + your Cha modifier.
Lose: Bonus Divine feats at 4th and 12th levels, and the bump to Divine Whispers at 9th level.
Monster Slayer
Benefit: Trade Diplomacy, Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) for Bluff, Listen, and Spot. Also add Survival to your class skill list. You trade your Divine Whispers feature for the Ranger's Favored Enemy; which advances at 9th, 14th, and 19th levels.
Mystic
[B]Benefit: When you gain access to a domain, you may swap out one miracle per grade with a thematically appropriate spell of an equivalent level from another base (20 level) class’s spell list with the exception of the Archivist. This replaces automatically learning a miracle of your highest grade known.

Xaotiq1
2013-02-24, 07:45 PM
Just giving this a bump; because, in the words of Bloodhound Gang's "Bad Touch": "I'd appreciate your input...":smallamused:

jiriku
2013-02-24, 09:21 PM
OVERALL
Great start, needs a little tweaking to be ready for prime time. B+.

If you only change one thing: Right now I can't tell what the sacrosanct is supposed to be good at because it's loaded down with too many class features. Makes my head wanna 'splode. Identify the sacrosanct's core competencies and cut features ruthlessly until those core abilities shine.

DETAILED REVIEW

Game rule information and class skills: Looks great. I would recommend adding Swim to the list of class skills.

Class Table: OMG features! That table is about ready to burst. I would recommend half as many features. Cut it down to just the good stuff.

Weapon and armor proficiency: Although you may envision the class as a sword and board defender, there's no reason to restrict players in that way, especially since the sacrosanct doesn't get any special benefit for using a shield. I recommend you grant proficiency with all martial weapons instead. If you want to encourage the sword-and-board playstyle, make the sacrosanct better at it than your average bear, and players will choose it all on their own.

Domains and Miracles: I can't tell how this works. Under the domain heading you reference getting miracles at each spell level, but the sacrosanct doesn't cast spells. I don't understand how the sacrosanct determines which miracles he's qualified for. If orisons include 1st and 2nd level spells, that would seem to indicate the character can learn 2nd-level spell effects at character level 1. That doesn't seem right. I'm not clear on how often the miracles are usable, either. Is the limit on orisons per day on a per-miracle basis, or for all orisons at once? What's the point of learning miracles at 1st level when the max uses per day is set to 1/2 character level (which is 0 at 1st level). What's the point of having 3 + Cha orisons per day when my max miracles at 20th level is 10 (easily exceeded at level 20 with a 26 Charisma)?

Divine Whispers: This bonus needs to be assigned a type in order to reduce the risk of bonus-stacking abuse. I'd suggest either a competence bonus or an insight bonus.

Revelations of faith: Supernatural abilities have a save DC calculated as 10+ 1/2 character level + Charisma bonus, which is different from spell-like abilities. You should explicitly either opt in or opt out of this change. I'd recommend you opt in, since it grants the low-level abilities a more level-appropriate save DC.

ngilop
2013-02-24, 09:37 PM
SO this is basically the paladin a dn warlok cross cept the walock side gets much better spell progression

I like it!

though I am a bit worried that the paladins are going to cry and say "why si this class better at EVRYTHING we do?" ( unless i missed the post where this is actually supposed to replace the paladin

otherwise it is a solid class. Id say its def high 'tier' 3.

jiriku
2013-02-24, 10:37 PM
I am a bit worried that the paladins are going to cry and say "why si this class better at EVRYTHING we do?" ( unless i missed the post where this is actually supposed to replace the paladin

Any class that resembles the paladin but actually does its job well, by definition replaces the paladin. RAW paladins exist primarily to die with puzzled expressions on their faces, or else to serve as 2-4 level dips in builds that work better.

Xaotiq1
2013-02-25, 12:33 AM
All right, made a few tweaks here and there. I decided to go 2nd rank holy warrior with a closer connection to their deity angle. Right now, I'm looking for a good capstone-type ability; and possibly something that adds Cha to attack and damage since I removed smite. Hmm, I guess I could make tat part of Divine Whispers. Thoughts??

ngilop
2013-02-25, 01:25 PM
why a full BAB if its supposed to be only 2nd rank?

unless your definition of 2nd rank in different than my own, that is.

i think a nice capstone woul dbe getting the celestial/half celstial template for good aligned folks or the fiendish/half fiend template for evil aligned would be good. im not sure if there are neutral equivalent templates.

I think the bonuses yu give out to divine whispers might be a bit high consideirng that at lvl 20 a Sacrosanct can have a bonus in the lower 40s or so to one of those abilities with just ranks, divine whispers, and ability bonus. thats not factoring in any synergy bonuses or any amount of optimization.

Xaotiq1
2013-02-25, 03:52 PM
why a full BAB if its supposed to be only 2nd rank?

unless your definition of 2nd rank in different than my own, that is.

i think a nice capstone woul dbe getting the celestial/half celstial template for good aligned folks or the fiendish/half fiend template for evil aligned would be good. im not sure if there are neutral equivalent templates.

I think the bonuses yu give out to divine whispers might be a bit high consideirng that at lvl 20 a Sacrosanct can have a bonus in the lower 40s or so to one of those abilities with just ranks, divine whispers, and ability bonus. thats not factoring in any synergy bonuses or any amount of optimization.

Let me clarify. This is intended to be a mid point between the Cleric and Paladin. It would take some features of both, add a few new ones, and be it's own class. I intend for it to replace both the cleric AND paladin in a new campaign I'm setting up.

The Wizard will be getting a similar send up shortly.

Okay, I cut the bonuses in half.

Also, I was playing around with making this class a 2/3 caster ala the bard instead of invocations as I think 8th level spells might be too much.

ngilop
2013-02-25, 05:28 PM
Well you could just keep it as is really and jut bump the 'invocations' down a notch

if you take a gander at the warlock normally dark invocation are the equivalent of 6th level spells

so if you would just follow that train of doing your 'invocations' you wouldn't have to just give them bard spell progression to give an example youc ould go
Orisons 1st
Homilies 2nd-3rd
Blessings 4th-5th
Divinities 6th

that way you keep your 'invoations' and get your 6th level spell cap you talk about.

I think that giving the paladin 'invocations' is a neat idea and really just giving the paladin spells as a main feature to me is a bit disenheartening.

but that is just my own take on what a paladin is supposed to be. but then if it is suppoed to replace cleric and paladin, then giving it bard spell progression is probably the best way to go.

Xaotiq1
2013-02-27, 01:49 AM
Put the max spell equivalent for Miracles to 7th.

Added a fun (imho) feature at 7th level.

And added what I feel is a fitting capstone for someone THAT devoted to a deity.

In the words of recently deceased former New York Mayor Ed Koch, "How'm I doin'??":smallamused: