PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help me optimize a Level 10 Synthesist for Carrion Crown!

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-22, 05:07 AM
Update: Changed for current topic. Didn't want to start another thread.

My Paladin has made it to level 10 without dying in a Carrion Crown campaign. I think that's going to change soon, as we're in book 4 and I'm starting to take QUITE the beating.

I like the idea of an Aasimar Synthesist. I've posted the Stat Block I've made in Hero Lab below.

Thanks in advance, gang for any suggestions! I'd love some help. I'd search around to see if anyone else has thought of these, but search is still down and I'm failing at using google as a forum searcher.

UPDATE:

Here's the Stat Block. What do you think? Any suggestions on changes?

Also, I'm using Hero Lab and I'm wondering if it added everything up right here.

No magic items or anything added yet. Really didn't know what to add, to buff up my AC, or what have you.

STAT BLOCK POSTED IN SPOILER BELOW.

Hyperion
Male Aasimar Summoner (Synthesist) 10
CG Large Outsider (native)
Init +2; Senses bond senses (10 rounds/day), darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +10
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 29, touch 11, flat-footed 27 (+2 shield, +2 Dex, -1 size, +16 natural)
hp 89 (10d8+40)
Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +14; +2 vs. [evil]
Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5; SR 21
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft., flight (30 feet, average)
Melee Claw x2 (Claws) +16 x2 (2d6+9/x2) and
. . Claw x2 (Claws) +16 x2 (2d6+9/x2) and
. . Rend (Rend) +16 (2d6+13/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities Mending (3/day), Summon Monster V (7/day)
Summoner (Synthesist) Spells Known (CL 10):
4 (2/day) Teleport, Purified Calling
3 (4/day) Stoneskin, Lake of Fire (DC 17), Rejuvenate Eidolon, Restore Eidolon (DC 17)
2 (5/day) Create Pit (DC 16), Wind Wall, Invisibility, Restore Eidolon, Lesser (DC 16), Summon Eidolon
1 (6/day) Shield, Enlarge Person (DC 15), Mage Armor, Ant Haul (DC 15), Compel Hostility
0 (at will) Acid Splash, Light, Mage Hand, Open/Close (DC 14), Detect Magic, Mending
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 29, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 19
Base Atk +8; CMB +18; CMD 30 (can't be Tripped)
Feats Angel Wings, Angelic Blood, Extra Evolution, Improved Natural Attack (Claw x2 [Claws]), Rending Fury
Traits Magical Talent (Thicken Skin) (1/day) (Sp), Sacred Touch
Skills Acrobatics +6 (+10 jump), Appraise +5, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +6, Fly +5, Handle Animal +8, Intimidate +5, Linguistics +10, Perception +10, Ride +6, Spellcraft +15, Stealth -2, Survival +6, Swim +14, Use Magic Device +15
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan, Varisian
SQ aspects (limbs [arms]), eidolon link, fused eidolon, fused link, magic/aligned attacks, maker's jump (1/day), share spells with eidolon, shielded meld
Other Gear 147 GP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Angelic Blood +2 saves vs. evil effects, to stabilize while dying, and 1 damage to evil or undead if bleeding.
Bond Senses (10 rounds/day) (Ex) As a standard action, you can share Eidolon's senses while on same plane.
Damage Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Eidolon Link (Ex) Mental link allows communication over any distance, but share magic item slots.
Flight (30 feet, Average) You can fly!
Fused Eidolon A synthesist summons the essence of a powerful outsider to meld with his own being. The synthesist wears the eidolon like translucent, living armor. The eidolon mimics all of the synthesist's movements, and the synthesist perceives through the eidolo
Fused Link (Su) Starting at 1st level, the synthesist forms a close bond with his eidolon. Whenever the temporary hit points from his eidolon would be reduced to 0, the summoner can, as a free action, sacrifice any number of his own hit points. Each hit point sacrif
Magic/Aligned Attacks (Ex) Your natural attacks are magic and share your alignment.
Magical Talent (Thicken Skin) (1/day) (Sp) Choose one 0-level spell - it becomes a 1/day spell-like ability for you.
Maker's Jump (1/day) (Sp) At 6th level, whenever the synthesist is fused with his eidolon, the synthesist can cast dimension door as a spell-like ability using his caster level. This ability only affects the fused synthesist and eidolon. The synthesist can use this abi
Rending Fury Need half the normal number of attacks to deal rend damage
Sacred Touch You were exposed to a potent source of positive energy as a child, perhaps by being born under the right cosmic sign, or maybe because one of your parents was a gifted healer. As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature mer
Share Spells with Eidolon (Ex) Your spells ignore type restrictions for Eidolon and it can recieve your personal spells.
Shielded Meld (Ex) At 4th level, whenever the synthesist is fused with his eidolon, he gains a +2 shield bonus to his Armor Class and a +2 circumstance bonus on his saving throws.

Spell Resistance (21) You have Spell Resistance.
Summon Monster V (7/day) (Sp) Standard action summon lasts minutes, but only 1 active at a time and can't use with eidolon.

Private
2013-02-22, 05:44 AM
My Paladin has made it to level 10 without dying in a CC campaign. I think that's going to change soon, as we're in book 4 and I'm starting to take QUITE the beating.

So I'm looking to build two different characters.

1. I want to build the most durable tank that I can, between pure PFRPG and 3rd Party. I'm open to anything 3rd Party, that I can find on any of the wiki's or d20PFSRD.

2. ALSO, I like the idea of an Aasimar synthesist/monk, whose physical stats come from his eidolon. Any opinions on that idea?

Thanks in advance, gang! I'd love some help. I'd search around to see if anyone else has thought of these, but search is still down and I'm failing at using google as a forum searcher.

Synthesist Summoners make really great Tanks that can actually dish out damage too. They are one of the few classes who can get their AC high enough to matter on a regular basis. Not to mention that they can put out some hefty damage in addition to their defenses.

That being said, you should never multi-class a Summoner, as their Eidolon only progresses with Summoner levels, so anything besides Summoner weakens your build tremendously.

Xerxus
2013-02-22, 07:03 AM
As far as I know, Tank and Durable are completely different things in first party Pathfinder.

A Human Invulnerable Rager Barbarian with the superstitious tree of rage powers is very durable, but not a very good tank since he is not capable of protecting his team.

On the other hand, a lvl 13 Brawler Fighter isn't as durable, but at least a decent tank in that he is able to stop enemies at all.

A real tank however, is a Wizard. No other PC is as good at controlling the battlefield.

Gazzien
2013-02-22, 10:58 AM
I'm actually level 10, and the exact same philosophy. Are you allowed to use templates? If you are, then be a "Dread Wraith Sovereign", with the "Young" and "Drunk" templates, for a net LA of +1. Then be a Paladin 2/ Summoner (synth archetype) 7, and you can pick up evolutions for immunity to all five energy types. A "Pallid Crystal" gives you a lot of positive energy immunity. A "Ring of Forcefangs" prevents you from getting screwed by force effects. You pick up Evasion from your Eidolon (yay, synth archetype), and can grab Mettle with a feat and a one-level dip in the Hexcrafter Magus archetype.

Then you just avoid all damage, ever, because you have saves of +30 or so, and a touch AC of 40 or so. I'm running as a half-elf for the SLAs with the Half-Drow Paragon and Drow Nobility feats, but that's optional.

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-22, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure if he'd allow templates. If so, I really like that one. Though I'd be worried about it, as it's the Carrion Crown AP. Where you fight a cult of necromancers, serving The Whispering Tyrant.

I was debating two types of summoner: An Ogre (3rd Party), who would use his eidolon as a flanking buddy; and what I'd prefer... an Aasimar synth. I was going for monk multi-class for a few reasons, although they may not be worth the multi-class. Flurry of Blows, Monk AC, Disease immunity, etc.

Gazzien
2013-02-22, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure if he'd allow templates. If so, I really like that one. Though I'd be worried about it, as it's the Carrion Crown AP. Where you fight a cult of necromancers, serving The Whispering Tyrant.

I was debating two types of summoner: An Ogre (3rd Party), who would use his eidolon as a flanking buddy; and what I'd prefer... an Aasimar synth. I was going for monk multi-class for a few reasons, although they may not be worth the multi-class. Flurry of Blows, Monk AC, Disease immunity, etc.
Well, this is what I'm doing (I'm in a party with a Cleric of Pelor and a Paladin... this is gonna be fun); max ranks in Bluff and Disguise, so that you can appear living, and then convince people that you were made undead against your will, and now you serve to hunt down the very thing that made you into what you are now: necromancers. Plus, all those fancy [Necromancy] spells that they have? Turns out that Undead are immune to almost all of them. And Pathfinder gives a save for Channel Energy now, so you're safe from that too. -shrug- It works well for me.

Really, if you multiclass, it's only worth it for maybe two levels. After that, your Eidolon is too far behind.

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-23, 01:32 AM
Welp! Rather than start a new thread, here's what I decided to do.

I decided to go Aasimar, Synth Summoner 10, no multi-class.

Here's the Stat Block. What do you think? Any suggestions on changes?

Also, I'm using Hero Lab and I'm wondering if it added everything up right here.

No magic items or anything added yet. Really didn't know what to add, to buff up my AC, or what have you.

STAT BLOCK POSTED IN SPOILER BELOW.

Hyperion
Male Aasimar Summoner (Synthesist) 10
CG Large Outsider (native)
Init +2; Senses bond senses (10 rounds/day), darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +10
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 29, touch 11, flat-footed 27 (+2 shield, +2 Dex, -1 size, +16 natural)
hp 89 (10d8+40)
Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +14; +2 vs. [evil]
Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5; SR 21
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft., flight (30 feet, average)
Melee Claw x2 (Claws) +16 x2 (2d6+9/x2) and
. . Claw x2 (Claws) +16 x2 (2d6+9/x2) and
. . Rend (Rend) +16 (2d6+13/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities Mending (3/day), Summon Monster V (7/day)
Summoner (Synthesist) Spells Known (CL 10):
4 (2/day) Teleport, Purified Calling
3 (4/day) Stoneskin, Lake of Fire (DC 17), Rejuvenate Eidolon, Restore Eidolon (DC 17)
2 (5/day) Create Pit (DC 16), Wind Wall, Invisibility, Restore Eidolon, Lesser (DC 16), Summon Eidolon
1 (6/day) Shield, Enlarge Person (DC 15), Mage Armor, Ant Haul (DC 15), Compel Hostility
0 (at will) Acid Splash, Light, Mage Hand, Open/Close (DC 14), Detect Magic, Mending
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 29, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 19
Base Atk +8; CMB +18; CMD 30 (can't be Tripped)
Feats Angel Wings, Angelic Blood, Extra Evolution, Improved Natural Attack (Claw x2 [Claws]), Rending Fury
Traits Magical Talent (Thicken Skin) (1/day) (Sp), Sacred Touch
Skills Acrobatics +6 (+10 jump), Appraise +5, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +6, Fly +5, Handle Animal +8, Intimidate +5, Linguistics +10, Perception +10, Ride +6, Spellcraft +15, Stealth -2, Survival +6, Swim +14, Use Magic Device +15
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan, Varisian
SQ aspects (limbs [arms]), eidolon link, fused eidolon, fused link, magic/aligned attacks, maker's jump (1/day), share spells with eidolon, shielded meld
Other Gear 147 GP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Angelic Blood +2 saves vs. evil effects, to stabilize while dying, and 1 damage to evil or undead if bleeding.
Bond Senses (10 rounds/day) (Ex) As a standard action, you can share Eidolon's senses while on same plane.
Damage Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Eidolon Link (Ex) Mental link allows communication over any distance, but share magic item slots.
Flight (30 feet, Average) You can fly!
Fused Eidolon A synthesist summons the essence of a powerful outsider to meld with his own being. The synthesist wears the eidolon like translucent, living armor. The eidolon mimics all of the synthesist's movements, and the synthesist perceives through the eidolo
Fused Link (Su) Starting at 1st level, the synthesist forms a close bond with his eidolon. Whenever the temporary hit points from his eidolon would be reduced to 0, the summoner can, as a free action, sacrifice any number of his own hit points. Each hit point sacrif
Magic/Aligned Attacks (Ex) Your natural attacks are magic and share your alignment.
Magical Talent (Thicken Skin) (1/day) (Sp) Choose one 0-level spell - it becomes a 1/day spell-like ability for you.
Maker's Jump (1/day) (Sp) At 6th level, whenever the synthesist is fused with his eidolon, the synthesist can cast dimension door as a spell-like ability using his caster level. This ability only affects the fused synthesist and eidolon. The synthesist can use this abi
Rending Fury Need half the normal number of attacks to deal rend damage
Sacred Touch You were exposed to a potent source of positive energy as a child, perhaps by being born under the right cosmic sign, or maybe because one of your parents was a gifted healer. As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature mer
Share Spells with Eidolon (Ex) Your spells ignore type restrictions for Eidolon and it can recieve your personal spells.
Shielded Meld (Ex) At 4th level, whenever the synthesist is fused with his eidolon, he gains a +2 shield bonus to his Armor Class and a +2 circumstance bonus on his saving throws.

Spell Resistance (21) You have Spell Resistance.
Summon Monster V (7/day) (Sp) Standard action summon lasts minutes, but only 1 active at a time and can't use with eidolon.

Gazzien
2013-02-23, 02:10 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but I feel like you should have more Evolution Points? Also, the Resist 5 energy is a pittance; it's much more useful to spend two points instead of one for full immunity.

The magic evolutions really aren't worth it; you're a Synesthist.

Why do you have Restore Eidolon up there? It's fused to you, you can just use normal restoration from whatever healer your group has...

//0.02$

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-23, 02:23 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but I feel like you should have more Evolution Points? Also, the Resist 5 energy is a pittance; it's much more useful to spend two points instead of one for full immunity.

The magic evolutions really aren't worth it; you're a Synesthist.

Why do you have Restore Eidolon up there? It's fused to you, you can just use normal restoration from whatever healer your group has...

//0.02$

Resist comes from Aasimar racial.

Magic evolutions?

I know Magical Talent is a trait.

Are you talking about Magic/Aligned Attacks?

I figured to make my natural attacks both magical and good aligned would be worth the 1 point evo. Is there something better for one point?

I have the Eidolon spells to be self-sufficient; and because the healer's an NPC, who can be squishy. That way, he can focus on the group.

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-23, 04:33 AM
Okie doke, well we're presenting our new characters tomorrow morning, for when our current ones bite the dust.

If no one's got some suggestions for changes, I'll end up submitting this.

Wagadodo
2013-02-23, 09:52 AM
If you are going with Large evolution, Might I suggest you either get a wand of reduce person, or take the spell you self. That way you can walk and fight down those large corridors. Since reduce person only drops your strength down by 2, and raises your dex by two, plus and minus all the hit shanagians. I might be worth so you can handle tight corridors.

It also helps to see the difference between the Eilodon, and you. I would strongly suggest two character sheets. When power suited, and when not.

I don't see what your temporary, hit points are when you are fused that Eilodon would typically have.

Certified
2013-02-23, 10:47 AM
If you are going with Large evolution, Might I suggest you either get a wand of reduce person, or take the spell you self. That way you can walk and fight down those large corridors. Since reduce person only drops your strength down by 2, and raises your dex by two, plus and minus all the hit shanagians. I might be worth so you can handle tight corridors.

It also helps to see the difference between the Eilodon, and you. I would strongly suggest two character sheets. When power suited, and when not.

I don't see what your temporary, hit points are when you are fused that Eilodon would typically have.

One thought there is to skip the Large Evolution then keep Evolution Surge (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/evolutionSurge.html#_evolution-surge) handy. This frees up 4 points for other things then allows you to grow whenever the space allows.

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-23, 08:07 PM

Great advice! Thanks.

HP is 89 fused.

One thought there is to skip the Large Evolution then keep Evolution Surge (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/evolutionSurge.html#_evolution-surge) handy. This frees up 4 points for other things then allows you to grow whenever the space allows.

Large evolution is four points, where the spell only allows two points extra. Or am I missing something in translation here?

Certified
2013-02-23, 08:44 PM
Great advice! Thanks.
Large evolution is four points, where the spell only allows two points extra. Or am I missing something in translation here?

There are 3 Versions of the spell. Lesser Evolution Surge is 2 points, Evolution Surge 4, and greater 6, Spell levels 2, 3, and 4 respectively.

Grollub
2013-02-24, 12:31 AM
I'm actually level 10, and the exact same philosophy. Are you allowed to use templates? If you are, then be a "Dread Wraith Sovereign", with the "Young" and "Drunk" templates, for a net LA of +1. Then be a Paladin 2/ Summoner (synth archetype) 7....

That build wouldn't / shouldn't be allowed in ANY game. The Template clearly states you need to be level 10 and killed by a Dread Wraith Sovereign.

It would also probably get a few books thrown at you for being a goober, and assuming your character met that condition, without DM consultation.

Gazzien
2013-02-24, 01:30 AM
That build wouldn't / shouldn't be allowed in ANY game. The Template clearly states you need to be level 10 and killed by a Dread Wraith Sovereign.

It would also probably get a few books thrown at you for being a goober, and assuming your character met that condition, without DM consultation.

Ah. Huh. I missed that part... My mistake! Sorry guys... :/ It would work at level 11 though :P And at that point you'd have Mettle, anyways.

-shrug- Oh well.

ZDPhoenix
2013-02-25, 02:38 AM
GM liked the character concept I made.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep spell list v.s. evolutions in mind before playing it. Not playing it till my paladin eventually dies. :D