PDA

View Full Version : Weltbild Maul (Hammer of Opposite Alignment, Sort of) [PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-02-22, 07:00 AM
Just an idea for an item I had.

Weltbild Maul: Also known as a Worldview Hammer, this weapon normally functions as a +? Warhammer. However, when on a damage roll you roll above a 4, the target must make a will save vs DC 15. If the target fails the roll, roll on the table below to determine the effect.

{table=head] 1d12 | Result |
1 | Lawful Good |
2 | Neutral Good |
3 | Chaotic Good |
4 | Lawful Neutral |
5 | True Neutral |
6 | Chaotic Neutral |
7 | Lawful Evil |
8 | Neutral Evil |
9 | Chaotic Evil |
10 | Pacifist |
11 | Violent |
12 | Wiped Clean |
[/table]

On a result of 10, 11, or 12, roll again but add one that descriptor to their new personality. If you roll the same alignment they currently have, roll again, unless you previously rolled a 10, 11, or 12.

Violent: They will suddenly crave combat. Its the DM's decision as to how this is played.
Pacifist: They believe that it is wrong to fight and will refuse to continue.
Wiped Clean: They lose their memory due to trauma. They may or may not retain knowledge of how to preform even basic tasks, this is up to the DM.

Strong Transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be 12th level; Price ? gp; Weight 5 lb. The table and save, of course, can be adjusted as people see fit in a campaign. As for the "?", I don't know what to put in those spots. There, I could use some advice.

Frathe
2013-02-22, 02:10 PM
I'd think the CL, etc., might be comparable to that of the helm of opposite alignment.

Helm of Opposite Alignment
This metal hat looks like a typical helmet. When placed upon the head, however, its curse immediately takes effect (Will DC 15 negates). On a failed save, the alignment of the wearer is radically altered to an alignment as different as possible from the former alignment—good to evil, chaotic to lawful, neutral to some extreme commitment (LE, LG, CE, or CG). Alteration in alignment is mental as well as moral, and the individual changed by the magic thoroughly enjoys his new outlook. A character who succeeds on his save can continue to wear the helmet without suffering the effect of the curse, but if he takes it off and later puts it on again, another save is required. The curse only works once; that is, a character whose alignment has been changed cannot change it again by donning the helmet a second time.

Only a wish or a miracle can restore former alignment, and the affected individual does not make any attempt to return to the former alignment. (In fact, he views the prospect with horror and avoids it in any way possible.) If a character of a class with an alignment requirement is affected, an atonement spell is needed as well if the curse is to be obliterated. When a helm of opposite alignment has functioned once, it loses its magical properties.

Strong transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be 12th level; Price 4,000 gp;Weight 3 lb.

Xuldarinar
2013-02-22, 02:18 PM
I'd think the CL, etc., might be comparable to that of the helm of opposite alignment.

I was thinking that but I wanted another person's opinion on that. What do you think of the item as a whole?

Frathe
2013-02-22, 02:45 PM
I was thinking that but I wanted another person's opinion on that. What do you think of the item as a whole?

I'm not sure if it should only have an effect on criticals (warhammers only crit on a 20). It's sufficiently unlikely that I'm afraid in actual use all your work on that d12 table would be wasted. You might want to have the effect triggered some other, more likely way (higher than 5%); even if you make it fairly likely, you are giving a Will save, after all, so people who get the effect still have another chance to resist it. It might be a better idea to just fix the Will save at a number in the 15~16 range and define your own effect range separate from the critical range (warhammers crit range is 20; you could have the effect triggered, for example, on a 18-20 roll, or even a larger range).

Xuldarinar
2013-02-22, 03:20 PM
Yeah, im afraid your right. Question is trigger. Separate roll, larger range on hit roll, set it to part of the damage roll, or make it a triggered ability on the part of the wielder. In the latter case it would likely then be set to a number of times a day then.

Frathe
2013-02-22, 05:07 PM
Yeah, im afraid your right. Question is trigger. Separate roll, larger range on hit roll, set it to part of the damage roll, or make it a triggered ability on the part of the wielder. In the latter case it would likely then be set to a number of times a day then.

This seems like more of a chaotic artifact (you can't as of now choose the alignment the target becomes), so I wouldn't have it be a triggered ability. I kind of like the idea of it being tied to the damage roll, but I don't know if there's any precedent and it might be kind of weird (for a specific suggestion, though, it could be if you roll higher than half damage).

Xuldarinar
2013-02-22, 05:12 PM
This seems like more of a chaotic artifact (you can't as of now choose the alignment the target becomes), so I wouldn't have it be a triggered ability. I kind of like the idea of it being tied to the damage roll, but I don't know if there's any precedent and it might be kind of weird (for a specific suggestion, though, it could be if you roll higher than half damage).

Well, I agree that if tied to the damage roll, it would make sense for it to be high damage. It could even be played off as your hitting them over the head. Brain damage can have a large effect on people. I don't know of any precedent either but it could exist, somewhere.

Frathe
2013-02-22, 05:28 PM
Of course, the more normal logic used to determine if you hit someone on the head, or some especially damaging area like that, is to look at crits or something similar. For example, vorpal swords behead creatures on a natural roll of 20 (usually not the same as the weapon's crit range; vorpal weapons have to be slashing weapons and most slashing weapons have 18-20 or 19-20 critical ranges; but it's a similar idea). You might be fine just saying that, say, 15-20 on the attack roll on a hit triggers the effect, assuming that you want it to be common, and that it's easier/requires less accuracy to hit someone on the head than it does to behead them (hit their neck).

Xuldarinar
2013-02-22, 06:24 PM
Thats certainly a reasonable thought. I'll leave it as is for the moment and come back to it later. I gotta work a bit more on my other Homebrew ideas. I'll take into account everything said so far and anything else posted. Thank you.