PDA

View Full Version : gnome fighter

shuikage
2013-02-22, 07:09 AM
So im wanting to make a gnome fighter. Will be playing in a group fairly large so getting the most out of 2h axes preferabbly would be amazing as it will go great with the back story of my character. Just looking at some guidance on building a 2h fighter in general. Weapon choices, feats and what not. I will be wanting to take figure out how to conceal the giant weapon axe also. As what would be greater than a sneak attack with a giant axe and cleaving at peoples knees with a gnome. Thanks in advance.

Yora
2013-02-22, 07:26 AM
Actual real world two-handed axes had rather small heads and very plain shafts.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk2hn6SlWj1qfr1oco1_500.jpg

You could make one that has a detachable head you hide under your cloak on your back, and carry the handle as a quarterstaff. Getting the head firmy fixed to the handle quickly would be a bit tricky, but I'm sure gnomes can come up with something that allows it to be done as a standard action. (Or if the DM is particularly generous, even a move action.)
An alternative would be a collapsable handle, but making one that is sturdy enough for two-handed swings would really be quite a feat of engineering.
Alternatively, you could take a dwarven waraxe instead of a greataxe and wield it as a two-handed martial weapon. Damage would only be minimally lower, but it would have the size of a one-handed weapon instead of a two-handed weapon. (But unless you take the exotic weapon proficiency feat, you still could only use it two-handed.)

Speed might be an issue depending on how your DM runs encounters. If speed matters, you should probably get a mithral breastplate as soon as possible, as that one would not slow you down any further. Also, once you can get it, a belt of giants strength. As a fighter, you could get Weapon Specialization and also have the feats available to take both Focus and Specialization. A flat +2 bonus is worth as much as increasing your weapons size by two categories.

Siltharon
2013-02-22, 07:31 AM
So im wanting to make a gnome fighter. Will be playing in a group fairly large so getting the most out of 2h axes preferabbly would be amazing as it will go great with the back story of my character. Just looking at some guidance on building a 2h fighter in general. Weapon choices, feats and what not. I will be wanting to take figure out how to conceal the giant weapon axe also. As what would be greater than a sneak attack with a giant axe and cleaving at peoples knees with a gnome. Thanks in advance.

:smallbiggrin: Ok so I think you play Gnome for the style right? In general small Charakters are inferior in most means when it comes down to 2h fighting. That said some suggestions.

well PA, Leap Attack and a barbarian dip (for pounce ofc) is always good to start off and the basic for a charging build.
Since you are small you might want to consider the Underfoot Combat feat and in an extend the Confound the Big Folk feat [found here http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-the-wild--84/underfoot-combat--3018/. You just have to figure out a way to get one size category smaller to work against usual humanoids (then you have your cleaving at knees :D) .... maybe let a Teammember buff you or use a psywar dip (my suggestions ... compression works wonders and you get 2 feats at level 1 and 2 .... requires wis though :/ )

shuikage
2013-02-22, 07:56 AM
O i know what real world axes are like :). But yea. Great suggestions so far tho thanks. As for the psywarrior im not going to be allowed to take any psionic classes

thethird
2013-02-22, 08:00 AM
Are you aware of the other killer gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.)?

It is pretty good at what it does.

Greenish
2013-02-22, 08:11 AM
The Hideaway property from MIC is a pretty cheap way to hide your weapon.

Siltharon
2013-02-22, 08:42 AM
Well Reduce Person is a first grade spell so fairly easy to obtain ... just ask a teammember for buffing or buy an 50 charges item and give it to your arcane caster.

Also what would be nice to know is what you want to do. You wrote about sneak attack and Cleaving the knees .... problem is those things don't really work that good with 2h axes. assume str 18 (without changes) ->16 (gnome) -> 14 (reduce person) .... and that for a cost of 16 points
If you don't want to use Underfoot Combat (that would give you the cleaving at knees though) then it would be a bit better, but you would basically be a weaker fighter that way.

That said you could probably dip in some ACF rogue for Sneak Attacks and skill points but the synergy of 2h axes and Sneak Attack is terrible ... not because you deal less dmg, just because the feats, stats and classes you use to make something out of both barely have a good harmony

shuikage
2013-02-22, 09:35 AM
Are you aware of the other killer gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.)?

It is pretty good at what it does.

thanks for that ill look into it a bit more.

@siltharon- as for the actual sneak attacking im not nescesrry looking at doing that persay. It would be more of a being a sneaky attack. Being a weaker fighter isnt much of an issue for me as ill be in a largeish group so will have plenty of damage output. It will be more for the story and the playing of the gnome as a fighter well will just go well in my group of misfit friends.

Juntao112
2013-02-22, 02:21 PM
Titan Fighting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIU0094xgkQ)