PDA

View Full Version : Magical Items That Grant Feats?

Stront
2013-02-22, 09:40 AM
Is there a pricing guide for making magical items that grant feats or for that matter class abilities? If a PC wanted to add Divine Might on a magical item; what should I factor when creating such an item as far as cost?

Flickerdart
2013-02-22, 11:01 AM
There is not, as feats are worth different things. This (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddrl68v6r9u6ekuijle6d4l483&topic=4099) may be of some use to you, as it catalogues existing item ways of getting feats.

peacenlove
2013-02-22, 11:21 AM
For feats, page 128 of Arms and equipment guide gives a sidebar that discusses prices for feats on magic items. But it is for 3.0 edition and IIRC pricing for items changed in 3.5 D&D.

JBento
2013-02-22, 11:21 AM
There is not, as feats are worth different things.

Not... entirely true. There's a sidebar for it in Arms and Equipment Guide. Granted, it's 3.0, but "content not reprinted" yadda yadda. Price varies with the feats prerequisites, iirc.

And while you are of course correct that feats are not created equal (especially NOT Quicken Spell and TWF, Reynolds), 3.X feat acquisition mechanics posit the exact opposite. A 1st Fighter who picked up PA and Cleave and one with 2xToughness (snerk) are considered the exact same power level by the game (for bonus points, either of them is just as powerful as a 1st lvl Druid...)

Stront
2013-02-22, 12:26 PM
For feats, page 128 of Arms and equipment guide gives a sidebar that discusses prices for feats on magic items. But it is for 3.0 edition and IIRC pricing for items changed in 3.5 D&D.

Of course the one book I don't have! Figures. :smallsigh:

Flickerdart
2013-02-22, 12:44 PM
Not... entirely true. There's a sidebar for it in Arms and Equipment Guide. Granted, it's 3.0, but "content not reprinted" yadda yadda. Price varies with the feats prerequisites, iirc.
From what I recall, that sidebar is practically useless for the prices that it gives.

navar100
2013-02-22, 12:59 PM
Perhaps try to think of a similar enough spell and work from there. Metamagic feats are automatically metamagic rods, so don't worry about those. Start simple. Iron Will gives +2 unnamed bonus to will saves. A Cloak of Resistance +1 gives +1 resistance bonus to all saves. A magic item of Iron Will that takes up an item slot would probably cost about the same - minus value for only affecting one saving throw but plus value for unnamed bonus.

Power Attack scales with level for extra damage. What spell deals with BAB? Divine Power. A Power Attack magic item would thus be an item at least as worth as something based off a 4th level cleric spell.

Whirlwind Attack allows for multiple attacks when surrounded on a full attack. What spell can give multiple attacks? Haste. Haste only gives one extra attack but also increases speed, AC, and reflex save. A Whirlwind Attack item is thus roughly equal to a magic item of Haste, maybe even a little bit lower due to less flexibility in its application.

yougi
2013-02-22, 02:13 PM
N
A 1st Fighter who picked up PA and Cleave and one with 2xToughness (snerk) are considered the exact same power level by the game (for bonus points, either of them is just as powerful as a 1st lvl Druid...)

And for NPCs, the two fighters together are as powerful as a 3rd level Druid with his improved wolf companion.

To the OP: feats do have a varying level of power. Some are easily to calculate:

Weapon Focus: +1 to hit is mostly the same as masterwork: 300gp. Now, the feat stacks with the weapon's alteration bonus, so rule of thumb is double for "rare type" bonus, so I guess 600gp.

Skill Focus (any): 3^2*100 = 900gp

Alertness (or any other +2 to 2 skills): (2^2*1.5+2^2)*100 = 1000

Great Fortitude/Iron Will/Lightning Reflexes: The +3 resistance bonus on armor for one save in particular is 4000. A resistance bonus costs half of an untyped or otherwise typed bonus, so 8000.

Improved Natural Armor: Amulet of Improved Natural Armor +1 is 2000.

So even while only considering feats that are usually considered bad, the price range is pretty huge.

Stront
2013-02-22, 02:14 PM
Perhaps try to think of a similar enough spell and work from there. Metamagic feats are automatically metamagic rods, so don't worry about those. Start simple. Iron Will gives +2 unnamed bonus to will saves. A Cloak of Resistance +1 gives +1 resistance bonus to all saves. A magic item of Iron Will that takes up an item slot would probably cost about the same - minus value for only affecting one saving throw but plus value for unnamed bonus.

Power Attack scales with level for extra damage. What spell deals with BAB? Divine Power. A Power Attack magic item would thus be an item at least as worth as something based off a 4th level cleric spell.

Whirlwind Attack allows for multiple attacks when surrounded on a full attack. What spell can give multiple attacks? Haste. Haste only gives one extra attack but also increases speed, AC, and reflex save. A Whirlwind Attack item is thus roughly equal to a magic item of Haste, maybe even a little bit lower due to less flexibility in its application.

This makes sense. What would you price an enchantment on a sword that granted "Divine Might"?

Rubik
2013-02-22, 02:16 PM
I've looked through dozens of books, and I've found that the vast majority of items which grant feats cost 10,000 gp.

Stront
2013-02-22, 02:34 PM
I've looked through dozens of books, and I've found that the vast majority of items which grant feats cost 10,000 gp.

Thanks for all the research! I really do appreciate it. At least I have a basic value to go by.

Rubik
2013-02-23, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the research! I really do appreciate it. At least I have a basic value to go by.Well, the reason why I searched through all those books was to find as many feat-items (and other awesome things) for a horribly overpowered character build. I found such awesome things as the kiira n'vaelahr and the dukar hand coral. The former records your memories and replays them as though you're living them (and can project them for others to see) for 67,706 gp (which I'd love to have IRL), and the latter is implanted into your body and gives you regeneration for 1600 gp.

They're from Player's Guide to Faerun and Champions of Valor, respectively.

LordBlade
2018-03-23, 12:36 AM
So what would the cost be to get Maximize Spell Like Ability for a Warlock?
Or say Weapon Finesse if I want to focus on Eldritch Glaive?

Mordaedil
2018-03-23, 03:34 AM
I don't think you have to put an extreme price on divine might on a sword, since it uses a class ability to trigger, but compensate because it has a requirement in power attack. I would say maybe half the price of a ring of evasion.

Jowgen
2018-03-23, 12:16 PM
I got a handbook in my sig you might be interested in, others have done guides with different inclusion criteria.

skunk3
2018-03-23, 02:36 PM
There are also ways of lowering costs of custom magic items. If a certain alignment is required to benefit from it, that can drop the cost. If a certain class is required to benefit from it, that can drop the cost. I don't remember the % value of savings, but it is substantial although some DM's might be mad about you getting items so cheap. IIRC these rules were either in the DMG or MIC. MIC most likely.