PDA

View Full Version : Thought Exercise: Islands in the Sky

8wGremlin
2013-02-22, 03:26 PM
Premise

You live on a floating island, that bobs and weaves through the elemental plane of Air.

You have a small village of 100 villages, 1 adept, 10 warriors, 19 experts and 70 commoners, that you must look after and help thrive (they are your people after all), They are all level 1, and can be made up of the same race, or 80% one race, 20% another

The Island is a 3 km (1.9 mi) long, 2.17 km2 (0.84 sq mi) , can have any reasonable terrain

And may or may not have a water source, which if it does could dry up, at any moment.

Your "sun" light comes from a giant ball of elemental fire in the far distance, and a large island regularly blocks the light every "night"

In the distance you can see other floating islands, but they are 30 km (19 mi) or more. Some seem to be inhabited, but your not sure, and some are drifting in your direction.

What do you do and how do you improve on your village...

Rules
You can use any settings book, but once you've chosen a theme you have to stick with it. i.e Eberron, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms etc..

There are 2 levels of play

E6 - you start at 6th level
E11 - you start at 11th level

You only have just enough XP to get to your starting level
you have normal WBL, and the villages can scrounge up an additional (Your WBL/2)

Write up a description of your island, and your character concepts, hope you enjoy this thought exercise..

E6 Survivors

Khatoblepas' Diplomacer Cooperative (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14766570&postcount=29) - thrive to survive!
Srasy's Dwarfs dreaming of chicken? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14767806&postcount=34) a great use of the chicken infested flaw, as well as a good use of the elemental traits!
Seer_of_Heart Food Trap (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14763209&postcount=21)
UrPriest's All singing all dancing Astral Caravan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14766863&postcount=30)

E11 Survivors

qwertyu63's Focused Conjurer Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14760599&postcount=13)
UnjustCustos' Sun Elf Factotum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14761661&postcount=16)
Sgt. Cookie's Good Shepard Ritual (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14763072&postcount=20) (lets get the flock out of here)
Chilingsworth's Artificer Warforge Mercenaries (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14766898&postcount=31)

Other Survivors

Silverbit and his amazing booze island (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14760015&postcount=11)
Krobar's Undead Oasis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14764931&postcount=24)

Gildedragon
2013-02-22, 03:37 PM
Couple of questions:
If without a water source, where has my village gotten water from?
What technologies does my village have?
What food sources are there?
What are the mineral and vegetable resources available?

8wGremlin
2013-02-22, 05:16 PM
Couple of questions:
If without a water source, where has my village gotten water from?
What technologies does my village have?
What food sources are there?
What are the mineral and vegetable resources available?

All good questions.
Imagine that your island has been ripped from the prime material plane.
Massive earthquake, everything goes white, and your island ends us here.

It's been a few years, and you've had enough provisions to last.
Perhaps you village embraced necromancy, or are made of warforged

As for resources you decide, but nothing stupid.
Yes the village could have been a mithril mine, or something similar

Upto you to document it and come up with ideas

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-22, 05:23 PM

Get up, leave, go to your computer, play Caste Story?

Ruethgar
2013-02-22, 06:07 PM
I would be a hypermitotic, spellpowered, medium sized, awakened apple tree level 2 witch(AEG)! With spell powered I would create water and purify food and water constantly. As a construct I would not need to eat removing the major limitation of hypermitotic. Hypermitotic would give unlimited water, apples and building material to reach other islands or create a buffer zone of my corpses to lessen damage from collisions. As an AEG witch I could, on rare occasion, produce meat with create food and water. Yay broken third party templates! Everyone would be malnourished and hate apples, but who cares.

8wGremlin
2013-02-22, 06:17 PM

Get up, leave, go to your computer, play Caste Story?

Thanks for that... I will play that, But it's not Dungeons and Dragons, with the rich interactions and ideas of the players interacting with the environment provided them

But it does look good... Minecraft + floating islands

I would be a hypermitotic, spellpowered, medium sized, awakened apple tree level 2 witch(AEG)! With spell powered I would create water and purify food and water constantly. As a construct I would not need to eat removing the major limitation of hypermitotic. Hypermitotic would give unlimited water, apples and building material to reach other islands or create a buffer zone of my corpses to lessen damage from collisions. As an AEG witch I could, on rare occasion, produce meat with create food and water. Yay broken third party templates! Everyone would be malnourished and hate apples, but who cares.

I think 3rd party products would need to be banned assessed..
a clever idea...

Also do you have links to All those templates?

Woodzyowl
2013-02-22, 06:19 PM
I would just be an artificer from house Lyrandar on an airship port from Eberron.

1. Have an airship.
2. Use it to explore the plane.
3. ???
4. Profit.

8wGremlin
2013-02-22, 06:32 PM
I would just be an artificer from house Lyrandar on an airship port from Eberron.

1. Have an airship.
2. Use it to explore the plane.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Great, so you'll just fly your airship, leaving your villages behind?
And can you defend your airship from other interested parties?

How much does the Airship cost?
Can you build it yourself, out of the resources of your island

Zahhak
2013-02-22, 06:32 PM
Wizard: create food and water to keep population alive. Have villagers build an airship of some kind, which the adept and warriors will ride in to find friendly neighboring islands. Use lots of rope and winches to pull our islands together, build another airship, do the same with their village's adept/warriors, with their village's high level wizard creating bucket loads of food/water, and continue process until we have a country. Then we reveal that all of the wizards are clerics of Tharizdun, sacrifice the country, free Tharizdun, destroy the world

Bam, game over.

8wGremlin
2013-02-22, 06:44 PM
Wizard: create food and water to keep population alive. Have villagers build an airship of some kind, which the adept and warriors will ride in to find friendly neighboring islands. Use lots of rope and winches to pull our islands together, build another airship, do the same with their village's adept/warriors, with their village's high level wizard creating bucket loads of food/water, and continue process until we have a country. Then we reveal that all of the wizards are clerics of Tharizdun, sacrifice the country, free Tharizdun, destroy the world

Bam, game over.

Create food and water is a 3rd level Cleric spell, it allows you to feed 3 humans/level. in the E11 game you can feed 33 people per casting.
So it is possible.

how do you build an Airship?

Sacrificing your villages isn't, Plus how do you know the other islands are friendly...

Silverbit
2013-02-22, 07:03 PM
I like this. I have a village of vintners and farmers, located in a forest. We use the trees to construct massive oar/sail things, man them with high str animals in treadmills and propel ourselves through the plane, trading our wine for supplies. I don't really need a character for the amazing flying booze island (TM) but I'd probably be a bard for the trade negotiations and craft buffing needed to craft absurdly large oar/sail things. I'm assuming they would work, as the elemental plane of air should be fairly windy. I do realise my plan hangs on this point, but come on... Air sailing booze island...

UnjustCustos
2013-02-22, 07:56 PM
If one could build a zeppelin with wood and leather I think that perhaps, if other islands are in a similar situation, that they would be a great industry to to tap. Certainly other islands would wish trade. Or rather, use your own fleet to be the transportation for the trade between other islands and take a percentage in either goods or coin, much like the Psychlos from Battlefield Earth. If I remember correctly it takes a few months to build one with a hundred people working on the project.

qwertyu63
2013-02-22, 08:52 PM
Alright... I see 5 challenges to tackle. I will be a level 11 wizard (Focused Conjurer with a habit of creating new spells)

1: Water
As part of my personal wealth by level, I have a Decanter of Endless Water. Next...

2: Food
I have a two part plan.
-Some of the commoners farm/raise livestock, thus providing grain/meat. Others use this grain to make food and ale (because they would want it).
-A magic device that creates food, part of my WBL.
The two should handle the food issue.

3: Defense
Wall of Stone to make a wall. Some of my experts are crafters, who will use metal from me casting Wall of Iron and Leather from the live stock I mentioned. The warriors use the weapons/armor as defenders.

4: Entertainment
In addition to the ale above, at least 1 of my experts has a few Preform skills. Someone else will be a playwright, and a couple commoners will be some actors.

5: Healing
The adept will be doing most of this, but I myself have developed a spell for this as well if needed (my fluff is figuring out how the bards do it, and mimicking them).

I wouldn't bother moving towards others, but if they come to me, I will work with them.

This is assuming I can't use any homebrew/3rd party sources. If I can, I have a very different plan.

Ruethgar
2013-02-22, 09:11 PM
I think 3rd party products would need to be banned assessed..
a clever idea...

Also do you have links to All those templates?

Hypermitotic and spellpowered are from the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition from Silverthorne Games and are far too powerful for use with their listed LA(+1 for infinite clones lol yeah right). For the most part I would accept pretty much most AEG works as far as third party goes, they try and make things balanced, Mongoose is a bit on the powerful side and Silverthorne is just obscure.

I would really have to read up on the elemental plane of air to answer knowledgeably with some of my other ideas, but in general you need to be a divine spellcaster to create some sort of nourishment.

8wGremlin
2013-02-23, 12:13 AM
I don't really need a character for the amazing flying booze island (TM) but I'd probably be a bard for the trade negotiations and craft buffing needed to craft absurdly large oar/sail things.

great plan... How are you going to defend it?

If one could build a zeppelin with wood and leather I think that perhaps, if other islands are in a similar situation, that they would be a great industry to to tap. Certainly other islands would wish trade. Or rather, use your own fleet to be the transportation for the trade between other islands and take a percentage in either goods or coin, much like the Psychlos from Battlefield Earth. If I remember correctly it takes a few months to build one with a hundred people working on the project.

The rules for making an Airship are quite sparse, AEG (3.0) cost a Zeppelin at
Cost 60,000 gp. it needs Crew 10 and has a Cargo of 10 tons and states that it needs magic to help build it...

at 11th level 66,000 gp, which you can only spend 1/2 on any one magic item. how are you going to fund the build.

Your right, you do need to have leather workers and carpenters, and the DC wouldn't be too high

Alright... I see 5 challenges to tackle. I will be a level 11 wizard (Focused Conjurer with a habit of creating new spells)

1: Water
As part of my personal wealth by level, I have a Decanter of Endless Water. Next...

2: Food
I have a two part plan.
-Some of the commoners farm/raise livestock, thus providing grain/meat. Others use this grain to make food and ale (because they would want it).
-A magic device that creates food, part of my WBL.
The two should handle the food issue.

3: Defense
Wall of Stone to make a wall. Some of my experts are crafters, who will use metal from me casting Wall of Iron and Leather from the live stock I mentioned. The warriors use the weapons/armor as defenders.

4: Entertainment
In addition to the ale above, at least 1 of my experts has a few Preform skills. Someone else will be a playwright, and a couple commoners will be some actors.

5: Healing
The adept will be doing most of this, but I myself have developed a spell for this as well if needed (my fluff is figuring out how the bards do it, and mimicking them).

I wouldn't bother moving towards others, but if they come to me, I will work with them.

This is assuming I can't use any homebrew/3rd party sources. If I can, I have a very different plan.

Excellent!
And very fortuitous of you to have the decanter and food creation items on you!

UnjustCustos
2013-02-23, 12:52 AM
The rules for making an Airship are quite sparse, AEG (3.0) cost a Zeppelin at
Cost 60,000 gp. it needs Crew 10 and has a Cargo of 10 tons and states that it needs magic to help build it...

at 11th level 66,000 gp, which you can only spend 1/2 on any one magic item. how are you going to fund the build.

Your right, you do need to have leather workers and carpenters, and the DC wouldn't be too high

The initial problem with the concept is how/why would an suddenly isolated community still have an intact economy. It seems like the they would pull together to help themselves. But for the problem let us assume the economy still runs or we simply have that much worth of goods. And I thought all crafting was simply a 1/3 of the price. Also, I was unable to find anything stating it required magic to craft other than the implication by the animated propellers.

So let us assume I have a magical character of sorts, a Factotum, that is 11th level who is project overseer for 50 of his villagers building a zeppelin. As a complex item it has a DC of 20. Assuming best case scenario of Sun Elf with max ranks in craft, a 22 int, masterwork tools, and using Cunning Knowledge we end up with a modifier to the roll of 33. Lets say a ten as a roll just for averages and we are up to 43. Now add help from 50 villagers (leaving the other fifty to tend fields and livestock) and we are up to a check of 143.

Using the quick creation epic check modifier we jack the DC up to 140. By that check we will have made our first zeppelin in 10 weeks. Even factoring the cost of untrained help of a sp a day and masterwork tools for everyone we have spent only 23,155 gp. Once you have a steady source of trade for goods you can have the entire island working on the project and do the same project in a month.

Of course this is without opening the crafting handbook for all the insanity in there, but I think it is a good start. I think one of the other important aspects would be growing the island as the population won't stay static without a very strict government system.

8wGremlin
2013-02-23, 01:08 AM
The initial problem with the concept is how/why would an suddenly isolated community still have an intact economy. It seems like the they would pull together to help themselves. But for the problem let us assume the economy still runs or we simply have that much worth of goods. And I thought all crafting was simply a 1/3 of the price. Also, I was unable to find anything stating it required magic to craft other than the implication by the animated propellers.

So let us assume I have a magical character of sorts, a Factotum, that is 11th level who is project overseer for 50 of his villagers building a zeppelin. As a complex item it has a DC of 20. Assuming best case scenario of Sun Elf with max ranks in craft, a 22 int, masterwork tools, and using Cunning Knowledge we end up with a modifier to the roll of 33. Lets say a ten as a roll just for averages and we are up to 43. Now add help from 50 villagers (leaving the other fifty to tend fields and livestock) and we are up to a check of 143.

Using the quick creation epic check modifier we jack the DC up to 140. By that check we will have made our first zeppelin in 10 weeks. Even factoring the cost of untrained help of a sp a day and masterwork tools for everyone we have spent only 23,155 gp. Once you have a steady source of trade for goods you can have the entire island working on the project and do the same project in a month.

Of course this is without opening the crafting handbook for all the insanity in there, but I think it is a good start. I think one of the other important aspects would be growing the island as the population won't stay static without a very strict government system.

Brilliant UnjustCustos, Brilliant! Your in the E11 Category!
So what's your Island Called... and the Name of your main Sun Elf Factotum leader?

Silverbit
2013-02-23, 07:40 AM
great plan... How are you going to defend it?

Good question... Bard spells against those susceptible to them, make some of the spare alcohol into firebombs, and cover the propulsion sails in something non-flammable. Perhaps crafting some sort of catapult isn't impossible.
If you want to know, the bard's a human. If you want, I'll make a character sheet.

qwertyu63
2013-02-23, 10:12 AM
Excellent!
And very fortuitous of you to have the decanter and food creation items on you!

Thank you. Before the incident, I had bought them for my personal use, but they come in handy here.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-23, 10:36 AM
Be an 11th level Cleric with the Travel Domain, starting Wis of 18 and putting my level up bonuses into Wisdom.

I Plane Shift people from the Island back to the Material Plane, I can take 8 people with me every day, meaning that I can take everyone home in about 2 weeks.

Every day I take people home, I cast Teleport (Thanks to my domain) to an empty (one way or another) village with which I am very familiar (Plane Shift has a buffer of 500 miles, Teleport, at CL 11, has a range of 11,000 miles.) after I have brought the people home.

I also cast create food and water for the people still on the floating Island, before I bring people home.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-02-23, 11:12 AM
1. Be a 6th level artificer
2. add 120 exp to your crafting reserve (you can do that at a cost of 2262.5 gold using your previous level's crafting reserves)
3. Build a self repeating trap of create food and water
4.????
5. Profit
Spending 0 exp (it all comes out of the reserve) and 3375 gold for a total of 5637.5 gold out of 13 thousand gold for solving any food and water problems.

There is the food and water

And this artificer could solve other problems by crafting however he lacks any exp to craft with....

8wGremlin
2013-02-23, 01:51 PM
Be an 11th level Cleric with the Travel Domain, starting Wis of 18 and putting my level up bonuses into Wisdom.

I Plane Shift people from the Island back to the Material Plane, I can take 8 people with me every day, meaning that I can take everyone home in about 2 weeks.

Every day I take people home, I cast Teleport (Thanks to my domain) to an empty (one way or another) village with which I am very familiar (Plane Shift has a buffer of 500 miles, Teleport, at CL 11, has a range of 11,000 miles.) after I have brought the people home.

I also cast create food and water for the people still on the floating Island, before I bring people home.

Brilliant Idea Sgt. Cookie, I hadn't considered getting people back to the Prime material, and setting them up there - Kudos to you.

Hope you don't roll two high on the teleport, as being off by more than 1 mile could be problematic!

but very good, and when the denzines of the other islands find your island they will be happy with all the left overs...

1. Be a 6th level artificer
2. add 120 exp to your crafting reserve (you can do that at a cost of 2262.5 gold using your previous level's crafting reserves)
3. Build a self repeating trap of create food and water
4.????
5. Profit
Spending 0 exp (it all comes out of the reserve) and 3375 gold for a total of 5637.5 gold out of 13 thousand gold for solving any food and water problems.

There is the food and water

And this artificer could solve other problems by crafting however he lacks any exp to craft with....

Another great idea Seer_of_Heart, and our first E6 survivor, good use of the resetting trap.

There was some rules about getting xp from associates, might be good to look that up.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-23, 04:09 PM
The rules were to make the most out of what you had. I didn't like those rules, so I changed the game.

Krobar
2013-02-23, 05:07 PM
My island seems a gloomy place these days. What used to be a tranquil fishing village amongst the palm fronds on the sandy coast, now appears dark and gloomy. The palm trees are all withered and dead or dying, and a dreary pall hangs over the entire area. A pervasive fog seems to stick to everything it touches with a cold clamminess, reminiscent of the grave.

I got tired of listening to "we're hungry" and "we need help" and all sorts of other feeble bleats from those whining, complaining people, so I afflicted them all with horrible diseases until they died. Then, it took a few days, but I raised my disease-carrying undead army.

Wait until I learn to teleport. I'm going to visit some other islands.

Silverbit
2013-02-23, 05:09 PM
My island seems a gloomy place these days. What used to be a tranquil fishing village amongst the palm fronds on the sandy coast, now appears dark and gloomy. The palm trees are all withered and dead or dying, and a dreary pall hangs over the entire area. A pervasive fog seems to stick to everything it touches with a cold clamminess reminiscent of the grave.

I got tired of listening to "we're hungry" and "we need help" and all sorts of other feeble bleats from those whining, complaining people, so I afflicted them all with horrible diseases until they died. Then, it took a few days, but I raised my disease-carrying undead army.

So... Guess you wouldn't be interested in the wine trade then :smallwink:?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-23, 05:10 PM
So, your plan is to "kill everyone, raise them as an unded horde and then go to other islands"?

I like it.

8wGremlin
2013-02-23, 08:28 PM
My island seems a gloomy place these days. What used to be a tranquil fishing village amongst the palm fronds on the sandy coast, now appears dark and gloomy. The palm trees are all withered and dead or dying, and a dreary pall hangs over the entire area. A pervasive fog seems to stick to everything it touches with a cold clamminess, reminiscent of the grave.

Nice concept Krobar, I did wonder if anyone would go this route. What are you thinking would be the best way to go about converting your dwindling population over to undead?

oh and be careful with Teleport, its not 100% accurate, I'd hate to see you FALL...

Krobar
2013-02-23, 10:09 PM
Nice concept Krobar, I did wonder if anyone would go this route. What are you thinking would be the best way to go about converting your dwindling population over to undead?

oh and be careful with Teleport, its not 100% accurate, I'd hate to see you FALL...

Animate Dead.

Since there's a wall around my house I just let them run free and uncontrolled.

I can SEE other islands in the distance so I should be able to teleport to them with only marginal error. But failing that, I'll just wait until I get close enough to another island to be sure I don't screw it up, or close enough to fly with the Fly spell, or Phantom Steed or something like that. I haven't really planned out the character, but it shouldn't be too hard to get to another island undetected.

Khatoblepas
2013-02-23, 10:25 PM
E6: The Planar Diplomat

Setting chosen is Planescape.

Magic Blooded Unseelie Fey Half Elf Bard 5/Marshal 1 focusing on Diplomacy
Natural 18 Cha (22 with Templates)

Feats:
1) Sociable Personality
3) Complementary Insight
6) Undead Empathy

Diplomacy:
9 ranks
+6 Cha
+9 Synergy bonuses (Bluff, Know (nobility), Sense Motive)
+2 racial
+6 Motivate Charisma
+3 Skill Focus
=
+35

Remember to be able to speak Auran, the native language of the Djinn.

My villagers are as follows:

80% Elan
20% Warforged

Most of my commoners will take Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation) for creating stuff they need at the time. Some will take flaws and Magical Training, Precocious Apprentice, Fiery Burst. All of us being Elans and Warforged means only I need to eat or drink, supplied by our village's adept). The Warforged will all take Skill Focus (Craft (Woodworking)) or Craft (Stoneworking), and with the Fiery Burst Commoners helping with the baking of bricks, we harvest the mud from nearby floating islands and build houses and other structures

Realising that the Plane of Air has subjective gravity, movement between islands requires nothing more than deciding that our gravity is different. Quickly, we build a honeycomb from these islands, and create a settlement that is quite comfortable, all the while not requiring food or drink.

Meanwhile, I scout out a Djinn colony, and using my amazing Diplomacy (Indifferent -> Helpful is DC40). I wrangle wheat seeds, water, and some muscle to help protect my burgeoning village. Ice can be gotten from the paraelemental plane of ice, to help cool food and store it, since trade is going to be hard. Any major threat that comes along, I can deal with with a calm voice and a steady diatribe. Hopefully that'll make everyone I come across willing to help my cause. The other inhabited islands? Why, they're welcome to join too, if they can help me build my village.

Most of the water in the beginning is going to come out of my pockets, with things such as Wands of Create Water (handled by the Adept).

As my village grows, I maintain my core builders to expand it in all directions (subjective gravity, remember?) and send out other commoners to harvest islands for building materials. Pretty soon, I'll be able to afford a Decanter of endless Water (a favor from the Noble Djinn, maybe?), as much wood as I can use (major creation: vegetable matter), and once I can afford a skill boosting item (I may be able to have one with my WBL), I can raise the Noble Djinn from Helpful to Fanatic, giving me a great handhold to make my humble village into a grand city.

Once the Djinn and Air Elementals are under my command, I will focus on intra-planar trade, widening my sphere of influence, converting all who do not follow my cult into fanatics.

Pretty soon, the Air Elemental Village will be the Air Metropolis.

It'll be rocky early on, but I'll be able to convert any attackers so I can have some initial sway over my landscape.

Something everyone forgets about the Elemental Plane of Air, is that falling is a nonissue once you got the knack for it. The premium trade item on the plane is food, and water, and Djinni supply both. Invite some Djinni over and sway them to your cause, and you've got it made in this town. Djinni can also produce wood, which is a necessary building material in E6 if you want landspace.

It's not good enough to survive. You have to thrive.

Urpriest
2013-02-23, 11:30 PM

Let's do this better, faster, and stronger.

My village were drawn together by their shared psionic aptitude, specifically their affinity for Psychoportation. Each villager has Hidden Talent: Astral Traveler, as we're not so much a village as a Nomadic tribe.

I am a Psion, more specifically a Nomad, of 6th level, whose psychoportational energies brought the village together in the first place. Now, stranded on the plane of air, we long to return home, so what do we do?

We all join hands, of course. Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZ_YlYNINI).

After singing for a while, we get down to business.

Using Overchannel and Talented, I manifest Astral Caravan at Manifester Level 7, allowing me to augment the power. Each villager manifests Astral Traveler, and we're off!

We travel in a comfy membrane-bubble-thing, as per the augment. I need to make six DC 20 Knowledge(The Planes) checks over the span of 12 days to get home, and am explicitly allowed to take 10. I have several objects from the location, since we used to live there, which gives me +4 to the check, and my familiarity with the location (again, used to live there!) gives +5. I have at least one rank in Knowledge(The Planes). Thus, I can never fail the check. Per the augment, I can make checks every 12 hours. Thus, we get home in three days. While I believe that you don't need to eat, drink, or sleep while in the Astral, we easily have enough rations to last for three days of travel.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-23, 11:37 PM
Let's see...

Have a village of Warforged.

Be an 11th level artificer.

The Elemental Plane of Air has Subjective Directional Gravity, which means no vehicles are needed to get from island to island (not sure why no one has mentioned this yet, or did I miss it?.)

Subjective Directional Gravity

The strength of gravity on a plane with this trait is the same as on the Material Plane, but each individual chooses the direction of gravity’s pull. Such a plane has no gravity for unattended objects and nonsentient creatures. This sort of environment can be very disorienting to the newcomer, but is common on “weightless” planes.

Characters on a plane with subjective directional gravity can move normally along a solid surface by imagining “down” near their feet. If suspended in midair, a character “flies” by merely choosing a “down” direction and “falling” that way. Under such a procedure, an individual “falls” 150 feet in the first round and 300 feet in each succeeding round. Movement is straight-line only. In order to stop, one has to slow one’s movement by changing the designated “down” direction (again, moving 150 feet in the new direction in the first round and 300 feet per round thereafter).

It takes a DC 16 Wisdom check to set a new direction of gravity as a free action; this check can be made once per round. Any character who fails this Wisdom check in successive rounds receives a +6 bonus on subsequent checks until he or she succeeds.

Have the leadership feat for a diplomancer bard. (not nessicarily warforged)

Travel the islands as a group of traveling merchents/occasional mercenaries. Having my bardic buddy act as our agent. All members of the group will be trained in useful craft and profession skills to increase the variety of services we can offer.

Since I'll have the warforged artificer ACFs, I'll be able to gain maximum use of my crafting abilities and ability to canibalize unwanted magic items. I'll therefore ensure my group is well equipped for our chosen professions.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-02-24, 12:12 AM
I just realized something, psionic minor creation would allow the villagers to create more food as long as they have food to start with :smallbiggrin:(I assume 1 cubic foot is enough food). Just play as a character that can somehow get create water for enough people (self repeating traps ftw ;P)(or a divine caster I guess)

8wGremlin
2013-02-24, 01:50 AM
Khatoblepas, thats is a brilliant write up, and a great use of the elemental plane of Air's inherent traits - great work

UrPriest's; your 'All singing all dancing Astral Caravan', very very clever way to get you all back "home", very convenient that you just so happened to have all the right pieces to make it happen, but very cool!

Chilingsworth, your 'Artificer Warforge Mercenaries', again a brilliant use of both warforged and the inherent traits of the elemental plane of Air, good work!

Excellent work every one!

Srasy
2013-02-24, 03:59 AM
E6:
I will be a level 6 Druid with Ashbound Summoning,
We will all be Dream Dwarves
We will have one unlucky/lucky commoner who has the chicken infested flaw
I will use my WBL mainly for a decanter of endless water and a spell component pouch.

My Island now has food and water

To provide housing I will use summoned badgers thoqqas and good ole commoner power to hollow out the center of my island with tunnels for easy housing for my villagers.

In the tunnels we cultivate mushrooms and we also use some of the chickens to make eggs.

On the surface we have a lake with trees and 1 big farm which is assisted with the spell plant growth.

As a bird I fly around and search other islands for other life forms. On deserted Islands that I find I will move them to my island with my force of will(Elemental Plane of air rules with unattended objects). My commoners will now latch that island to my island with rope and chains. I repeat this to make one big floating rock. That is hollowed out and is littered with farms and chickens.

I will also have several decently sized floating islands around my island which will be used as weapons by some commoner with the trollblooded feat.
If we discover an Island we dont like or if someone is trying to attack us that commoner will using his will power to move the island very quickly at that island and hopefully destroying it... then we will search the wreckage for the regenerating corpse of the commoner.

Half of this idea is based on the fact that unattended objects have no gravity which means if a commoner says gravity is one way the island should move with him because no friction and no forces but the commoner acting on it.

So in conclusion you have a chicken infested island that is filled with dwarves who eat to much chicken and has giant missiles around it which can destroy most threats.

My Cohort will be a super sneaky character like a swordsage whisper gnome with darkstalker who will stalk the inhabited islands and report back to me so we can map the islands and find out which ones will be friendly and which ones wont and how powerful they are. If they seem friendly we may decide to add them to our giant floating island. If they don't we kill them and take their stuff unless they seem to powerful then we just smash an island on top of their collective heads.

With this model we will have infinite food, infinite water and almost infinite land and to many damn chickens.

8wGremlin
2013-02-24, 04:19 AM
With this model we will have infinite food, infinite water and almost infinite land and to many damn chickens.

This actually made me chuckle out loud!

Excellent piece of work..

Chilingsworth
2013-02-24, 04:40 AM
You think you could try running a nationbuilding campaign based on this idea? (might want to narrow down what's allowed, though.)

Silverbit
2013-02-24, 06:27 AM
You think you could try running a nationbuilding campaign based on this idea? (might want to narrow down what's allowed, though.)

If this happens, I'd be interested.

UnjustCustos
2013-02-24, 07:13 AM
Let's see...
The Elemental Plane of Air has Subjective Directional Gravity, which means no vehicles are needed to get from island to island (not sure why no one has mentioned this yet, or did I miss it?.)

No, didn't miss it. I think the idea is more about trade. It seems to imply that for sentient creatures gravity can be user friendly but I'm not as sure about trade goods. That's really the only reason. Could just be have warforged attack then send over the vehicles to cherry pick the remains of the island.

Darius Kane
2013-02-24, 07:53 AM
Hypermitotic and spellpowered are from the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition from Silverthorne Games and are far too powerful for use with their listed LA(+1 for infinite clones lol yeah right)
I'd like to point out that Legion remplate has "LA -" and thus is unplayable for PCs.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-24, 07:54 AM
If this happens, I'd be interested.

Incase I need to state as much, so would I. :smallbiggrin:

8wGremlin
2013-02-24, 01:04 PM
No, didn't miss it. I think the idea is more about trade. It seems to imply that for sentient creatures gravity can be user friendly but I'm not as sure about trade goods. That's really the only reason. Could just be have warforged attack then send over the vehicles to cherry pick the remains of the island.

One of he aspects of the elemental plane of air is the directional gravity

On the first round you fall 150 ft, next round it's like 300 ft
You need to turn around an fall th other ways to slow down/ stop

This requires a wis dc of 15 I think, and you get cumulative boni every roundup til you make it.

Failure to make it and slow down/ stop can hurt..

Many of you villages will not make it, before becoming pancakes!

As for a nations game, that's not bad idea, I'll think about it.