PDA

View Full Version : An Odd Question about Mimics

Barrin
2013-02-22, 03:36 PM
For a dungeon I intend to run soon, I'm creating a 12HD Mimic. The Mimic's chosen feats originally kinda suck (Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, and Weapon Focus?) so I'm also customizing his feats. I'm crazy enough to do this sort of thing regularly.

I decided to give the mimic Simple Weapon Proficiency and have some Huge weapons scattered around the room, including some massive pieces of wood it'll use as javelins (it dips its psuedopod into a barrel of alcohol first so it doesn't stick). :smalleek:

Unfortunately, I can't figure out if I'll need Two-Weapon Fighting to have it use a javelin (or the huge morningstar I'm giving it for a melee weapon) and its slam attack in the same round at no penalty. Anybody have a ruling for me?

yougi
2013-02-22, 03:57 PM
There is no way (that I know of) to use both without penalty: Multiattack would allow the natural attack (in your case, the slam) at -2 instead of -5.

Barrin
2013-02-22, 04:01 PM
I think you're probably right. The reason I have for thinking otherwise is that the standard mimic uses two slams at no penalty.

Unfortunately, the mimic cannot take multi-attack, as he only has 2 natural attacks.

Thank you for the response! :3

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-22, 04:13 PM
There is a feat that grants an extra slam. Take that, then multiattacl/improved multiattack.

Then you can attack with ether morning star/javelins + use three slams in one round.

yougi
2013-02-22, 06:16 PM
I think you're probably right. The reason I have for thinking otherwise is that the standard mimic uses two slams at no penalty.

Unfortunately, the mimic cannot take multi-attack, as he only has 2 natural attacks.

Thank you for the response! :3

Right about the multi-attack. The reason why the two slams are at no penalty is that they are two iterations of the same attack. Same reason why a creature with two claws will have them at same bonus.

Mr Adventurer
2013-02-22, 06:25 PM
This is how it breaks down:

A 12 HD Mimic has a BAB of 9, so it gets two attacks with a weapon at BAB +9/+4, and deals weapon damage plus it's Str modifier. Then, it gets both its Slam attacks at BAB +4, dealing Slam damage dice plus half it's Str bonus for each attack.

Two-Weapon Fighting won't help. If you can get Multiattack, its Slams will be at BAB +7 instead of 4.

If it stops wielding a weapon, its Slams go back to using its full BAB and adding full Str bonus to damage for each attack.