PDA

View Full Version : Should the Point Buy of Character affect their APL

Thattaman
2013-02-22, 04:00 PM
I'm making my first campaign and although I've GMed quite a lot of paizo AP, I've never created one myself. I've hit my first obstacle, in the first battle I want there to be a CR appropriate battle. The APL is 2, six first level characters, but in my campaign they get a 25-point buy for abilities, in the CRB this is listed as epic fantasy but would that mean that I should put them up against CR 3+ encounters or CR 2+. The first battle is going to be the minimum CR but would that be 2 or 3?

The actual battle is a group of zombies and I know there should either be three or four followed by a slightly more challenging encounter of either six or nine. But which one? I'm using Pathfinder if it makes any difference.

Novawurmson
2013-02-22, 04:36 PM
I would recommend increasing the APL for very high ability scores. My players love rolling their stats, and in my current campaign, they all ended up with the equivalent of a +40 point buy. The campaign flowed a lot better once I started accounting for their high stats.

Thattaman
2013-02-22, 04:38 PM
I would recommend increasing the APL for very high ability scores. My players love rolling their stats, and in my current campaign, they all ended up with the equivalent of a +40 point buy. The campaign flowed a lot better once I started accounting for their high stats.

Thanks, I'll edit my campaign to have the APL of 3 rather than two.