PDA

View Full Version : Trinkets and wonderous items for melee characters.

Elric VIII
2013-02-22, 05:45 PM
I'm stepping out of my comfort zone for a bit and playing a melee character. Sepcifically it's a Swordsage. However, I am not very familiar with useful magic items.

Is there a guide for this sort of thing, or can anyone make suggestions of useful non-weapon/armor items?

For the time being I'm thinking that some of the items that grant additional martial maneuvers would be useful, but that's about all that comes to mind immediately.

gooddragon1
2013-02-22, 05:51 PM
I'm stepping out of my comfort zone for a bit and playing a melee character. Sepcifically it's a Swordsage. However, I am not very familiar with useful magic items.

Is there a guide for this sort of thing, or can anyone make suggestions of useful non-weapon/armor items?

For the time being I'm thinking that some of the items that grant additional martial maneuvers would be useful, but that's about all that comes to mind immediately.

Flight speed of any kind (amber amulet of vermin (magic item compendium) is extremely cheap)
Anklets of translocation (grappled you say?)(magic item compendium)

Later on wings of flying and ring of freedom of movement. Being grappled sucks and not being able to reach a flying enemy sucks too.

Elric VIII
2013-02-22, 06:25 PM
Flight speed of any kind (amber amulet of vermin (magic item compendium) is extremely cheap)
Anklets of translocation (grappled you say?)(magic item compendium)

Later on wings of flying and ring of freedom of movement. Being grappled sucks and not being able to reach a flying enemy sucks too.

Actually, I have those two things covered via Searing Charge, Step of the Dancing Moth, and the Shadow Jaunt line. Although backups could be useful. Thanks.

Toliudar
2013-02-22, 06:27 PM
Can you give us a sense of your starting level? It'll help narrow the responses.

gallagher
2013-02-22, 06:29 PM
Strongarm Bracers and Steadfast boots are pretty solid choices.

You have no magic and sometimes your close friend cleric isnt that close at the moment, so I also suggest investing in some potions to get you out of tight situations. Invis and CLW are good to keep around.

Rhaegar14
2013-02-22, 06:32 PM
Here, have a link to this awesome guide:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

Elric VIII
2013-02-22, 06:33 PM
Can you give us a sense of your starting level? It'll help narrow the responses.

I'm starting at 4, but I would take advice from any level applicable. It's always good to have a plan for later levels.

Strongarm Bracers and Steadfast boots are pretty solid choices.

You have no magic and sometimes your close friend cleric isnt that close at the moment, so I also suggest investing in some potions to get you out of tight situations. Invis and CLW are good to keep around.

Ah, Steadfast Boost is a great idea. If I am reading it correctly, they always let you get a bonus attack against a charging enemy? Does it count as an AoO?

gallagher
2013-02-22, 06:58 PM
I'm starting at 4, but I would take advice from any level applicable. It's always good to have a plan for later levels.

Ah, Steadfast Boost is a great idea. If I am reading it correctly, they always let you get a bonus attack against a charging enemy? Does it count as an AoO?

My party treats it as a permanently readied action, since it is always treated as readied against a charge, but you will have to talk with your DM. On that note, it is important to be able to get reach, which is normally not a SS's thing. If you are TWF'ing, spend a feat on EWP:Kusarigama

Krobar
2013-02-22, 08:45 PM
Necklace of Strangulation. You know you want one.

Elric VIII
2013-02-22, 10:27 PM
Here, have a link to this awesome guide:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

That seems like exactly what I need, thanks. I almost forgot this existed.