PDA

View Full Version : wendigo P.E.A.C.H

Stake A Vamp
2013-02-22, 09:07 PM
wendigo

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Medium Fey
Hit Dice:|6d6+12 (30 hp)
Initiative:|+4
Speed:|40 ft (8 squares), fly 80ft(Good)
Armor Class:|17 (+4 dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple:|+3/+6
Attack:|bite +6 melee (1d8+3 plus 4)
Full Attack:|2 claws +1 melee (1d6+1 plus 2) and bite +6 melee (1d8+3 plus 4)
Space/Reach:|5ft/5ft
Special Attacks:|hunger madness
Special Qualities:|vulnerability to fire aura of fear
Saves:|Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +5
Abilities:| Str 16, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills:|Hide +18, Knowledge (nature) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +18, Search +10, Spot +9, Survival +9
Feats:|weapon finess (b) great fortitude track
Environment:|any
Organization:|solitary
Challenge Rating:|4
Advancement:|
Level Adjustment:|NO!
[/TABLE]

the wendigo is hunger made flesh, a physical embodiment of the suffering of hungry animals who are competing with humans (and other races ) for food. they dwell where ever hunger is a common plight among the local wildlife

hunger maddness
when a wendigo tastes blood, it goes into a rage-like state, gaining the bonuses of a raging barbarian, except that this rage lasts until there are no wounded (missing one or more hit-points) individuals within a hundred feet

Omnicrat
2013-02-22, 09:09 PM
Just a note; saying please be nice kinda contradicts the peach part...

Stake A Vamp
2013-02-22, 09:24 PM
Just a note; saying please be nice kinda contradicts the peach part...

okay, what does peach stand for again, i just know it means to criticize my work

Razanir
2013-02-22, 09:31 PM
okay, what does peach stand for again, i just know it means to criticize my work

Please
Evaluate
And
Critique
Honestly

Stake A Vamp
2013-02-22, 09:37 PM
Please
Evaluate
And
Critique
Honestly

okay, ignore the be nice bit then

Blue Ghost
2013-02-22, 09:51 PM
Why can't people critique honestly while still being nice? :smallsigh:

Omnicrat
2013-02-22, 10:04 PM
Why can't people critique honestly while still being nice? :smallsigh:

I said kinda. But if it were really bad, it would be hard to be nice about. Wish I could say more, but I've never been good at stating up monsters. Seems okay to me.

Frathe
2013-02-22, 11:31 PM
wendigo

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Medium Fey With how mythological wendigos are, I would sorta expect the (cold) subtype. I could also see an argument for making these undead instead of fey (although undead don't eat, so that's a small problem).
Hit Dice:|6d6+12 (30 hp)I calculate the HP as 33
Initiative:|+4
Speed:|40 ft (8 squares), fly 80ft(Good) This thing is very fast, especially its fly speed. Any special logic behind that?
Armor Class:|17 (+4 dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple:|+3/+6
Attack:|bite +6 melee (1d8+3 plus 4)
Full Attack:|2 claws +1 melee (1d6+1 plus 2) and bite +6 melee (1d8+3 plus 4)
Space/Reach:|5ft/5ft
Special Attacks:|hunger madness
Special Qualities:|vulnerability to fire aura of fearYou should probably add a comma here; it's a little confusing.
Saves:|Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +5
Abilities:| Str 16, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills:|Hide +18, Knowledge (nature) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +18, Search +10, Spot +9, Survival +9
Feats:|weapon finess (b) great fortitude trackProbably add some commas here (sorry if I'm being annoying about the formatting, but it can be confusing). Also, I think you mean Weapon finesse; bonus feats are usually indicated with [] brackets; and great fortitude seems like kind of a waste of a feat; I'd go for something more helpful in combat
Environment:|anyYou might be able to narrow this down; I wouldn't really expect to find one in a desert (assuming you're sticking to the mythology)
Organization:|solitary
Challenge Rating:|4
Advancement:|
Level Adjustment:|NO!This seems a little unprofessional; it's usually just "—" if there isn't something. The advancement line could use that too (or you could add advancement by Hit Dice).
[/TABLE]

the wendigo is hunger made flesh, a physical embodiment of the suffering of hungry animals who are competing with humans (and other races ) for food. they dwell where ever hunger is a common plight among the local wildlife

hunger maddness
when a wendigo tastes blood, it goes into a rage-like state, gaining the bonuses of a raging barbarian, except that this rage lasts until there are no wounded (missing one or more hit-points) individuals within a hundred feet

I think overall, if I was doing this, I'd add some more special abilities, maybe ice-related powers (see here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Wendigo) for reasons). But I realize you might not want to take it in that direction.

Razanir
2013-02-22, 11:36 PM
1) Clean up formatting. Bold the headings for abilities, and add commas in the table
2) I'd clarify what it means by "When it tastes blood" HP is so vague, that taking damage doesn't even mean it would have tasted blood

Debihuman
2013-02-23, 09:56 AM
How to calculate HP 6d6 means you average the d6 which is 3.5. 6x3.5= 21+ 12 =33.

Special Abilities are always noted as Ex, Sp or Su.

Hunger Madness (Ex): When a wendigo tastes blood, it goes into a rage-like state, gaining the bonuses of a raging barbarian, except that this rage lasts until there are no wounded (missing one or more hit-points) individuals within a hundred feet.

You need to describe how it "tastes" blood in combat. Does it stop attacking to eat a victim? Does it carry around carcasses that it drops before it enters combat? It makes sense if it eats its victims, but how often does it need to feed and how much meat does it need to eat?

Although you can say it can fly, you don't mention what this creature looks like. Does it have wings or is its flight magical in nature?

While the stat block is somewhat incomplete, others have indicated how to improve it.

Your creature's skill points are off. Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. It has 63 skill points to use but is limited to max rank of 9 in any one skill. Since you gave it 7 skills it should have 9 ranks in each. 6 +1 = 7 per hit die, with x4 at its first hit die 7x4= 28, 7x5=35 28 +35= 63.

Hide 9 ranks plus Dex modifier +4 = Hide +13.
Knowledge (nature) 9 ranks + Int mod. +1, +2 synergy bonus from Survival = Knowledge (nature) +12
Listen 9 ranks +Wis mod. +0 = Listen +9
Move Silently 9 ranks + Dex Mod. +4 = Move Silently + 13
Search 9 ranks + Int Mod. +1 = Search +10.
Spot 9 ranks + Wis mod. +0 = Spot +9
Survival +9 + Wis mod. +0 plus special synergy bonuses from Knowledge (nature) and Search = Survival +9 (+11 in aboveground natural environments) (+11 to find or follow tracks).

Synergy bonuses

If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (nature), you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks made in aboveground natural environments (aquatic, desert, forest, hill, marsh, mountains, or plains).

f you have 5 or more ranks in Search, you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks to find or follow tracks.

If you have 5 or more ranks in Survival, you get a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks.

Str 16 (+3), Dex 18 (+4), Con 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 1 (-5)

As for being nice, I'm a BIG ADVOCATE of that. However, being nice doesn't mean you can't say that you don't like something. In fact, you can dislike something a lot without being unkind. See the last paragraph here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14372082&postcount=4

Debby

Hanuman
2013-02-23, 09:53 PM
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20040529a

Debihuman
2013-02-24, 01:06 AM
FYI the PDF referred above is a mini adventure and has an official wendigo for reference

Debby

Hanuman
2013-02-25, 05:50 AM
If you see a wendigo demonstrated you see that it's less of a yeti and more applied like an assassin or a spirit, it widdles away at your party's SAN over the course of a session before you fight it.

Debihuman
2013-02-25, 09:45 AM
With 6 hit dice, it should have three regular feats. It qualifies for Weapon Finesse so it isn't a bonus feat.

Debby