PDA

View Full Version : Efreeti Battle

Miriad
2013-02-22, 09:17 PM
I need some suggestions on how to manage a fight against a group consisting of 6 efreeti with the resources avaliable to a lvl 8 party. So lvl 1 to 4 arcane or divine spells.

1) Being Fire subtype should I try to use cold spells against them?

2) If there is a non genie present in the fight they could grant wishes to him. What would be a quick way of stopping this from happening?

Flickerdart
2013-02-22, 09:44 PM
I need some suggestions on how to manage a fight against a group consisting of 6 efreeti with the resources avaliable to a lvl 8 party. So lvl 1 to 4 arcane or divine spells.

1) Being Fire subtype should I try to use cold spells against them?

2) If there is a non genie present in the fight they could grant wishes to him. What would be a quick way of stopping this from happening?
A single Efreet is a CR8 challenge; six of them are a CR13 threat and will probably wipe the floor with an 8th level party if played intelligently. Be extremely careful, and prepare accordingly.

An Efreet is awful in melee combat. A front-liner with at least 5 Resistance to Fire has practically nothing to fear. Genies can plane shift at will, so aim for one hit - one kill. Since Efreeti have awful AC and very low hit points, this should not be a problem. Use freedom of movement and fly to ensure that the Efreeti cannot impede your melee using terrain. They will also be invisible a lot of the time, so see invisibility or at least a Scout's Headband is an asset. They can Change Shape into giants and use Rock Throwing, so try to keep yourselves safe with things like protection from arrows. A way to see that doesn't rely on sight will be useful if they employ pyrotechnics - psionic tattoos of synesthete will probably be the easiest solution to that.

Cold spells will be useful, but employ spells that use attack rolls (such as Orb of Cold) rather than area of effect spells due to the Efreet's high Reflex save. Use metamagic or metamagic rods if you have 'em - injured Efreeti are likely to flee with plane shift so you want to kill them right away. Dimensional anchor would be a good opening.

Efreeti are telepathic, so silence won't stop them from letting people make wishes. It's difficult to block out telepathy, so killing, knocking unconscious, dazing, or stunning would-be wishers is the way to go. Once your casters have dimensional anchored the Efreeti and buffed the melee, they should probably focus on this rather than confronting the Efreeti themselves unless you're absolutely sure you can kill them faster than anyone can make a wish.

nyjastul69
2013-02-22, 10:33 PM
Sorry for my pedantry here, but Efreeti is the singular and Efreet is the plural. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Runestar
2013-02-23, 03:21 AM
They have quicken SLA: scorching ray and wall of fire, so expect all the efreet to spam it in the first 3 rounds of combat. You will definitely want some form of fire resistance here.

I can't think of any cold spells of that low level, but they would definitely be handy here.

Starbuck_II
2013-02-23, 10:58 AM
They have quicken SLA: scorching ray and wall of fire, so expect all the efreet to spam it in the first 3 rounds of combat. You will definitely want some form of fire resistance here.

I can't think of any cold spells of that low level, but they would definitely be handy here.
Cold spells I found:
Orb of lesser Cold (1d8+1d8/2 levels after 1st: max 5d8), Orb of Cold (1d6/level: max 10d6, Fort save or blinded 1 rd), Snowball Swarm (2d6+2d6/2 levels after 3rd), ray of ice (1d6/2 levels, max 5d6, reflex save or be frozen), Icelance, ice knife, ice dagger, hyperthermia, ice axe, Frost breath, hailstones, dragon Breath, Energy Vortex, Creeping Cold,

Miriad
2013-02-23, 12:42 PM
Thank you. I am an artificer. This is the list of scrolls I will be crafting from what you suggested:

Resist Energy x5
Ray Deflection x5
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm x1
Icelance x2
ice knife x2
ice dagger x1
Orb of Cold x2
Ice Axe x1
Frost breath x1
Hailstones x1
Dragon Breath x1
Energy Vortex x1

Are the numbers ok?

Syless
2013-02-23, 01:25 PM
Thank you. I am an artificer. This is the list of scrolls I will be crafting from what you suggested:

Resist Energy x5
Ray Deflection x5
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm x1
Icelance x2
ice knife x2
ice dagger x1
Orb of Cold x2
Ice Axe x1
Frost breath x1
Hailstones x1
Dragon Breath x1
Energy Vortex x1

Are the numbers ok?

Two notes- it would be cheaper to get one scroll of Mass Resist Energy for the same effect, and Ray Deflection is personal, so having multiple such scrolls would only be helpful if the whole team has UMD.

Miriad
2013-02-23, 02:40 PM
I am the only one with UMD so they wont be able to activate any scrolls themselves. What about using Spel Storing infusion?