PDA

View Full Version : Quick character creation, critique please

Quietus
2013-02-22, 09:54 PM
I've been toying with this idea for quickly generating characters, and I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are on it. The purpose is for quick pick-up games at cons, or as a "Play this for the first session, get a feel for the character, then do a full stat-up" deal.

First - Pick your character's profession (sailor, miner, performer, whatever). Pick one hobby (Parkour, reading, spelunking for example). Pick one skill they have (Unusually good at whistling, walks really lightly, etc). These form the backbone of your skill points, and whenever you're doing something related to these things, you get +5 to your roll, as though you'd maxed the skills out. Someone who's a sailor and is attempting to tie a knot, for example, can point that out and get +5 to the roll.

Second - Pick three adjectives. At least one has to be negative. These serve as minor modifiers on rolls; Someone who describes themselves as "Charismatic, lady's man, chicken****" could have bonuses in social situations and more easily seduce women, but would take a penalty when being faced with something frightening. These are only +2/-2 modifiers, so could easily be represented by traits, feats, minor class features.

Third - pick one of the core four archetypes. Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard. This one would potentially require a little more work with the DM to sort out, but I'm seeing :
Fighters get +6 AC, +3 to hit/damage, and choose a combat style - the equivalent of having Power Attack, TWF, Rapid Shot or what have you.
Rogues get +3 AC, +1 to hit/damage, 2d6 sneak attack, and one "trick" - this could be Evasion, or one of the rogue special talents, or something similar along these lines. I'd even let Rogues choose an animal as their "trick", for more of that Ranger feel.
Clerics get to choose three divine spells. Level 1 spells can be used 5/day, level 2 spells can be used 3/day, and you can only choose one level 2 spell. You can pick Turn Undead as a spell, and you can trade one of your spells for the AC/attack/damage boost - level 1 spell gets you that of a Rogue, level 2 spell gets that of a Fighter.
Wizards get to choose three arcane spells. Same as the Cleric, they can pick two level 1, and one level 2, each usable 5/day or 3/day respectively. They can trade out one of their level 1 spells for a familiar if they like.

From there, let the players throw down stats - rolled, or simply choose from an array, whatever is preferred. All told, I doubt it'd take more than five minutes to put together characters with this setup, and while it certainly wouldn't be as robust as the full 3.5/Pathfinder system, it could be used as a good starting point to get everyone's minds rolling.

My question is this : Does this sound like a method you could enjoy as a one-shot? How about for the first sitting of a game, to shape up a character in your mind before taking it to mechanics?

Urpriest
2013-02-22, 09:58 PM
Getting to choose three spells involves a lot of bookkeeping unless you limit the characters to a particularly short list of spells.

While you've got the d20 combat engine, there isn't a lot of the rest of this that screams 3.5. If you just want a way to run fantasy games at Cons or for one-shots there are lots of more rules-light systems to do it, and if you want to give an intro to 3.5/PF then you really need more complexity if you want to highlight any of its unique positive attributes.

Flickerdart
2013-02-22, 10:01 PM
Cleric seems like a much better deal than Fighter - two 1st level spells 5/day would go a lot further than a bonus feat in most situations (especially since most combat feats need to be comboed to work well), and even trading a level 1 spell for the Rogue's bonuses looks pretty good if you want to keep 2nd level spells.

What level are the characters at for the purpose of this? Power Attack and most spells can't really function without having BAB/CL to run on.

In general, this system reminds me a lot of 5e for some reason. Maybe taking a look at that will give you ideas for how to improve this (and also a few laughs when you read the really dumb parts).

Quietus
2013-02-22, 10:11 PM
Urpriest - you're right, this is only very loosely based on D&D. I'm sure there are a number of rules-light options out there, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not familiar with any of them, and few have the name recognition that D&D does. Regarding the bookkeeping involved with spellcasting, you're right, but that's an intrinsic part of D&D and I don't really see how I could cut that down without simply dictating which spells they get. Could you suggest any rules-light games that do what I'm trying to do here?

Flickerdart - Good point on the Fighter vs. Cleric deal. I could probably add a minor "trick" to the Fighter as well; let them choose the option to use a shield, or rage 1/day, have a few extra hit points, or get a minor bonus to attack/damage with a particular weapon. Nothing huge, but handy to have. I'm seeing this at around level 3, which is what I'd use for BAB purposes and caster levels where it mattered. That's also where I'd put hit points at, start each class with what would be average HP for a third level individual. As far as 5E, I can't compare, because I can't download that for some reason. It makes me kind of annoyed.

Greenish
2013-02-22, 11:06 PM
Could you suggest any rules-light games that do what I'm trying to do here?Old School Hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/) seems to fit the bill, and you can't really argue it's any less D&D than the system you're putting together.