PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of the Kingdom II

Pages : [1] 2

Realms of Chaos
2013-02-22, 10:15 PM
OOC: Holy cow. We have a part 2. High fives all around. :smallbiggrin:

MAPhttp://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/hiddenstump/Shadowslevel3.png

From where you are (A), you can see most of the level in some degree of detail. All dark gray boxes are cages (either barred and too distant for you to see through clearly or solid) except for 6-8, which look like disjointed rooms from different houses hanging right next to each other. and all light gray polygons are the hanging walkways (consisting mostly of grating but in some places being nothing but random sheets of metal swaying precariously in the breeze. Cage 8 is about 100 feet below the level of most other cages (the walkway next to it is level with the cage and the cages at point B gradually lower to about that level) and Cage 9 is 100 feet below that. The large grey circle seems to be an entire stone tower kept hanging in the abyss by a few loose chains.

Hopefully, this should make navigation easier.

If you need part 1, look Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191051).

Starsign
2013-02-23, 12:45 PM
Sheila takes a good look from where she and Nicholas are. After the dungeon of tight corridors and rooms, the more open-view of cages and lava below is quite a contrast. It's hardly better than what she and Nicholas have been through before, but at least it isn't the same thing.

She bends down to get a good footing as she checks the particular areas of note. Two of the cages being lower in height is a notable sign, as does the stone tower. It was hard to tell, but Sheila did get the feeling that the cage near the bottom all the way across seemed a bit larger than the other ones. "Well... at least there is plenty of space," she states to hide worry with a poor attempt at optimism. "What shall we do, look for a possible way into the tower or head to the lower cages? I imagine Dolnath might be more likely to wait for us in the tower."

She walks over to the edge of the grating walkway they are on, with only a couple feet separating it and the next walkway. She makes a simple jump across, no need to use effort. She doesn't risk looking down; there are enough problems right now that makes should make a possible fear of heights be a non-existent thing.

Indeed second thread! Quite the milestone :smallbiggrin:

Ridai
2013-02-23, 04:52 PM
Nicholas tries to avoid too sudden, uneven movement while staying towards the middle of the platform. The grating is much heavier than both of them combined, but taking chances where none are needed is not a wise thing to do. "I don't know if I want to trust my sense for environments supposedly designed to guide the eye of the viewer. I'm assuming there are either more prisoners here or just... well... more exposition, for the lack of a better word, in these cages, but our destination could be anything, honestly."

He surveys the surrounding area once more. "I want to be positive we didn't miss what we are looking for or what could give us an edge before descending, as getting back up might be an issue." While still looking the environment over, he lightly slaps his own rather weak upper arm to emphasize his point. Making his way to the edge of the grating, he tries to move across the gap, grasping for one of the chains holding the other grating if possible, otherwise taking his time for making a measured short jump across.

Woot woot, second thread!

Nicholas is moving to 19.

Also, do you really mean 6-8 in terms of those "room-like" cages? The description makes me think it's either 4-6 or the B row.

Realms of Chaos
2013-02-25, 03:34 PM
Derp. Yes, I meant 4-6 are grouped. Silly me.

Traveling to the northeast, you can see that the solid iron block of a cage possesses a single adamantine door leading inside, presumably opening inwards judging by its lack of visible hinges.

Starsign
2013-02-26, 12:46 PM
Sheila takes a good look at the adamantine door as she and Nicholas happen to travel by it. They have seen doors in improper places before... But one made of such material is something she has yet to seen. The world here never runs out of surprises and she isn't sure whether that is a good thing or not.

"So what might you think," Sheila asks to Nicholas as she looks in curiosity at the door. "I think that's a new door we've seen. Probably contains hints or memories, like most others." She takes a moment to think to herself, then says "Actually, I'm going to take a look." She hops on other to the door and slowly tries to open it if it isn't somehow stuck shut.

Ridai
2013-02-26, 01:01 PM
"What can I say. We love doors, don't we?" Nicholas remains straight-faced and motionless. Until he waggles his eyebrows, remaining entirely still and serious otherwise. Perhaps he is poking fun at the big bad orc warlord's observations. He follows close behind. Another instance of door raiding.

Realms of Chaos
2013-02-26, 06:05 PM
This particular door raid is cut tragically short as the door only opens a couple inches inward before catching on those adamantine chains you've seen throughout your journey. Even with the small size of the opening, however, cold air rushes out through the door and you can tell that it opens into a small earthen tunnel. At the very edge of your sight, you can see an unmoving figure huddled on the ground.

Starsign
2013-02-27, 02:21 PM
Sheila grumbles under her breath as she notices the adamantine chains holding the door from opening all the way. At this point she is sure that these chains will only break or open from a wish instead of a key or any sort of tool. If that's the case, than she won't ever be breaking these chains unless the most dire of circumstances.

However the unmoving figure on the other side has Sheila's eyes set warily on it. What was that figure exactly? Sheila is cautious in wanting to know at all, but yet she feels like she will be best off seeing. She calls out to it, "Um, hello?" She wonders whether she can get it's attention as she tries to get a better look from the other side of the door.

Spot check: [roll0] Lemme know if I should have rolled something different instead.

Realms of Chaos
2013-02-27, 09:53 PM
Peering at the huddled mass, it looks vaguely humanoid but you can't tell what race it is. Looking closely, however, it does look familiar, much like a similar figure you'd seen down in the sepulchers below the cathedral.

Starsign
2013-02-28, 03:55 PM
Sheila squints her eyes as she attempts to get a better look at the figure. At the very least she can get a possible idea of what it is. Eventually though she backs up and sighs. "That looks like one of those things below the cathedral. I bet this is a possible way out that Dolnath doesn't want us to go... at least for now." She slowly and carefully backs up from the cage.

"Shall we keep going?" She waves to Nicholas as she proceeds from the cage they are on, back to the walkway they were on before, and heading west to the walkway next to Cage 12. This path may not be the short way around, but if it means taking the safest path then it's probably the best path to make.

Ridai
2013-02-28, 04:09 PM
Nicholas simply nods and follows, watching their steps.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-01, 10:04 PM
Cage 12 is another iron box, albeit one whose door has been left ajar. The word "home" is carved into the front door and the end of a table can be seen within.

Within the Cage (Open if you go inside)Three envelopes rest neatly upon a fine wooden table, one at each end and one in the center. The ones at each end are addressed to each of you in turn while the center possesses both of your names.

Ridai
2013-03-02, 07:50 AM
Carefully opening the door, Nicholas scans the interior before slowly approaching the table. He takes another look around, just to be safe before taking the envelope adressed to him and opening it.

Starsign
2013-03-02, 10:26 AM
Sheila walks in slowly, very cautious on the fact that doors with a name generally can mean anything. Seeing the envelopes however makes her heart tug a bit in anxiety. She had never visited her real home in a long, long time and the semi-familiar one she had visited in this world before wasn't a good sign of things either. The note could be a good thing... or it may not be.

For the moment, she decides against opening it, instead watching Nicholas open and read his envelope first. He may not have had the best time growing up but at least he had never ran off from his home with no intentions of returning and no sense of working towards a concluded end. Sheila may open her envelope later however.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-02, 10:51 AM
Nicholas:Opening up the envelop, the world seems to fade into a blinding light. When you can see again, you can see the entirety of your father's drawing room. The place is a mess, with books and papers scattered through the room. Your father is nowhere in sight. The image lingers, as if something is yet to occur, but slowly fades from sight without so much as a movement. Returning to the world, you find yourself staring down at a piece of parchment held tightly between your hands.

"-- course she’s still alive. I’m not so dull as to kill my own grandson. I made sure she’s cared for out there, though I still worry my son will find out. I’m scared that I’ve done him wrong but what else could I do? We have a family name to uphold and pedigree is part of it, whatever our hearts may say. Besides, if my son knew, this whole thing would become too complicated. The girl is innocent. She doesn’t deserve to get caught up in our problems. I'm sure he’ll get over it in time. Even if he doesn’t love me, he respects me."

Sheila: You see Nicholas open the envelope, take out a sheet of paper, and stare down at it as if in a trance for a few moments before seeming to come to his senses.

Ridai
2013-03-02, 11:12 AM
Reading the letter, Nicholas' eyes widen, the revelations leaving him speechless. At first, there is a short gasped laugh as he begins to realize how foolish he had been and what really happened, excitement on his face as he tries to contain his emotions, only short laughed gasps escaping him as he has to wipe away a forming tear, inhaling. Looking up to the ceiling, he takes a moment to take a deep breath.

"You know," he begins. "I have never been so glad to have been wrong in the past." He takes out the picture of Anarya, her working clothes making so much sense now, while the letter is there to read for Sheila.

Starsign
2013-03-02, 11:27 AM
Sheila watches Nicholas read the envelope, wondering what he is going through all in the meantime. She can relax however when she sees Nicholas gapingly laugh and makes his statement as he pulls out the picture of Anarya. Sheila looks at the pic, seeing the aasimar in her working clothes. As she goes to hold her own envelope, she asks Nicholas, "Did Anarya enjoy her work back then?"

Sheila then goes to open her own letter, remaining calm as she takes care in not damaging the letter before reading it.

Ridai
2013-03-02, 11:36 AM
"That's the thing. It wasn't 'back then', it's much more recent. Several months ago, we admitted our love and conceived a child together. Two months later, my family found out, aborted our child and exiled Anarya. Reports said she was found dead the next day." He pauses. "That is what I thought. The events, the news, I... was unconscious, or rather, catatonic for weeks. My mind had blocked out what had happened, until yesterday. In truth, my family neither killed our child nor did Anarya die. They made sure she was being cared for. For the longest time, I thought my family consisted only of heartless monsters and even though Anarya wasn't a descendant of Daenalus, my father did not harm her." He holds his face for a moment after the stream of words ended. He strainously inhaled once again, trying to collect himself. "Nothing is going to stop us from getting out of here now. Absolutely nothing."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-02, 11:52 AM
Sheila:Opening up the envelop, the world fades into a bright white light, eventually settling to show you the interior of your home. It would seem that things have changed since you last saw it in this world. Lots of the room has been cleaned up with bottles pushed to the margins of the room. A single empty chair rests facing you and an unconscious guard rests on the ground, halfway into the home. For a moment, the image lingers as if something is bound to happen, though is slowly fades back away without incident. When the world returns to normal, you are staring down at your letter.

"-biggest mistake of my life. Regardless of those nightly warnings, she is the one I love, the only one who has made this life bearable. To think how close I came to killing her... I should have died when I fell into that coffin. Now that I'm hearing reports from back home, I think that I've finally made up my mind. I'm done with excuses. I'm not out here because I promised her father. I'm not hiding because I'm scared I'd hurt her. I'm here because I'm terrified that I'll lose her again. I'm scared she'd never understand all of this weirdness when even I can't explain it to myself. I'm done hiding, though. I can't lie to myself any longer. I love Sheila vil Runan. I love her so much that it hurts. I feel like I left a part of myself back in Drachna and I would trade the world just to see her again; to know that she still loves me ba-"

Nicholas You see Sheila open the envelope, take out a sheet of paper, and stare down at it as if in a trance for a few moments before seeming to come to her senses.

Ridai
2013-03-02, 12:00 PM
Stashing Anarya's picture and the letter close to his chest, Nicholas heads over to Sheila and reads the letter adressed to her. He doesn't know the context, but he can feel what it could mean. He takes the envelope adressed to both of them, puts an arm around her shoulders and waits for her reaction to the letter before asking "Shall we take a look?" If she agrees, Nicholas opens the letter.

Starsign
2013-03-02, 12:10 PM
Sheila reads the letter like she is reading a historical document, carefully and with such intrigue that her focus could not be taken away. When she is finished reading, she breathes slowly and thinks over the words on the letter. He really was alive after that incident; all this time the two were separated and one went looking for the other. Then the two reunite in this world, in a world they will escape from together.

Smiling and holding back tears, Sheila looks to Nicholas and nods to him. "Yeah, let's take a look," she says with enlightened hope. "I'm glad to have read this. It does mean quite a lot. However long this world is, at the least I'm glad to know there will be something for us to live for when we get out of here." Slowly she looks to the letter addressed to them both and lets him open it so that they may read it together.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-02, 12:18 PM
Opening the third letter, neither of you seem to blank out. Rather than a scrap of a larger parchment, this paper seems to be a letter left for you.

Dear Sheila & Nicholas,

It's been a couple of days since I've seen you so I thought I should catch up. I'm sorry that I couldn't be there in person but there's a thing or two I have to prepare with Ishmael. Yes, the big dolt has finally seen reason. He's the reason you aren't being flooded with blanks right now. If you haven't noticed by now, the real world is filtered out of this space as you move deeper. I'm not sure exactly what you're seeing but navigation shouldn't be too hard. You're approaching the edge of this world. I know that you haven't fought too much but I have faith that you'll pull through when you have something to fight for. The two of us will be waiting down here for you. Though we hope you can help us, know that you have support no matter what choices you make.

Dave

Starsign
2013-03-02, 01:37 PM
Sheila calmly reads the letter that had been addressed from an old acquaintance of both her and Nicholas. It's hard for her to believe that there is an edge of the world; this place seems like something that would either never end or simply loop around. She does however imagine that Dave knows more than her, she will have to trust in his knowledge on this. With Ishmael helping, seems like things are going about as well as it could.

"Wow, edge of the world?" She rhetorically asks in wonder. "I'm almost scared of imagining what it would be like." She takes the letter that was addressed to her and puts it away, glad to have read it and will keep it if she ever needs to look at it again. Meanwhile she lets Nicholas keep the scrap Dave wrote to them as she turns to look at the door back out. She smiles to her partner as she asks, "Well then, shall we be on our way? Can't keep those two waiting too long, I'd bet it'd be agonizing for them to have to stand still while waiting."

Ridai
2013-03-02, 01:53 PM
Nicholas returns the smile, her's being very much that of her true self, not steered by her other selves, but rather empowered by them. It is the smile of the gentle, caring woman he got to know. "Yes, we should be going, but at our own speed. We owe it to them that we do not stumble and fall because we were too hasty."

Nicholas leaves the cage with Sheila. Surveying the area, he considers for a moment, then begins to the 17, to make sure some critical information (or means for the coming confrontation) aren't missed.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-02, 02:03 PM
On your way to 17, you find something unusual at the 4-way intersection in your path (between 10, 12, and 17). An iron door, devoid of any doorknob or other opening mechanism, rests horizontally in the center of the intersection. The word "Miracle" is neatly engraved within it. Other writing upon the metallic sheet seems far less neat, apparently written in blood.

"Why won't you open?" "so close. I can hear it." "WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME?" "Please just let me in." "I can fix it. I can fix everything. Just let me in." "Please don't leave me out here." "Don't leave me alone."

Ridai
2013-03-02, 02:31 PM
Nicholas squats besides the door, reading the sad signs of another's desperation in silence. He slowly shakes his head, getting back up. No, he does not wait for this world to hand him a miracle. He seeks to create one with his allies. Turning his back on the door, he continues along.

Starsign
2013-03-02, 03:55 PM
Sheila views the door with a look that can only be called horrified and disgusted. By the looks of the door, seems that someone got here before... and made a impossibly desperate warning on it. The sight of it alone shivers her, and she turns away from it with prompt haste as she follows Nicholas. If there is anything such as a miracle, it's one that is created through work and effort rather than magic. This whole journey is going to be the proof of that.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-04, 11:37 PM
Reaching 17, it is plain to see that it is a barred suspended by what looks like a rotting chord rather than a chain, in which is nothing other than a lever. Carved onto the floor of the cage, in unfamiliar handwriting, is the word "Escape"

Ridai
2013-03-05, 11:17 AM
"Looks more than a little precarious." Nicholas mutters as he glances across the cage, not looking enthused at what he sees. It's more of an emergency option if they end up having no alternatives. Having seen all he needs to for now, he heads over to the 11.

Starsign
2013-03-05, 09:48 PM
Much like Nicholas, Sheila views the cage like it is sort of an emergency escape rather than an actual door that might lead to something interesting. Like the previous door, the sight of the door really is all that the two needs to see. As she heads off with Nicholas, she half-sarcastically brings up the topic, "You think Dolnath is setting these here to try and tempt us?" She didn't know what kind of humor orcs might have but she has the bit of a doubt that Dolnath might actually have placed these here. He wants her and Nicholas to come to him, not go away.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-05, 11:45 PM
Walking towards 11, the cage is another bar cage with a solid chain suspension and a solid iron door, upon which the word, "Hope" has been written and crossed out.

It seems as though a disected blank has been tied to each bar on the far side of the chain and a multitude of papers rest across the floor.

Ridai
2013-03-06, 12:18 PM
"Doesn't matter much to me, I'm not feeling desperate. There could be an irony to it, though, if that thing turns out to be an actual escape. Just so someone can say 'I made the offer' somewhere down the line, ignoring everything else that happened." Nicholas has read a lot of books.

At the Nope door, he tries to open it and see what the papers are generally about.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-06, 02:56 PM
The door opens and the papers seem to be field notes signed by a being called Vallum. Writing with frustrated scholarly detachment, Vallum reports that his initial findings on the inner workings of the blanks seem less than uniform, as you can unfortunately see from within the cage, making the weak spots that he'd thought he'd found worthless.

Starsign
2013-03-06, 03:05 PM
Sheila calmly nods to Nicholas as he responds to her. She lets that conversation be at that; sometimes you can't answer questions that refuse to show you anything past an abstract idea. She stands back as Nicholas opens the door, then walks forward to read the field notes that amounted up to... not much. "Well, it's... something," she says in a half-hearted attempt to be optimistic about the notes. She has a look at the open door, cautious about the idea of entering. "I wonder if this Vallum entered the door and got his ideas from what's behind it..."

Ridai
2013-03-06, 03:27 PM
Indeed there is not much to see. "Perhaps. Who knows." Leaving the cage, Nicholas moves up to the 16.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-06, 03:55 PM
Approaching 16, you can't see anything inside of it. In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a door leading inside. If it weren't for the word "renewal" engraved in the side, you would think the cage were just a steel cube and even now you can't be totally sure that it isn't. Something about the cage, however, seems tangibly, horribly, irrationably sad.

Starsign
2013-03-07, 02:06 PM
Sheila looks at the cage with a sense of fear. It's not the normal kind of fear that she's been through before; this is different. The complete lack of an entrance and the foreboding sadness it produces indicates to Sheila that there might actually be something inside it. If that is the case, then it means that whoever is there is trapped, held still and unable to escape. It's like a complete end, one far worse than death.

If Sheila absolutely knew that there is someone within the cage, she'd be tempted to free it. As is however, there is nothing she can do nor anything she would be willing to give away for such a risk. Slowly she looks to Nicholas and quietly states, "Nothing of help here." Unless Nicholas stops her, she doubles back to the four-way intersection and moves northward to cage 10.

Ridai
2013-03-07, 02:25 PM
Honest to himself, Nicholas doesn't know what to think or feel when standing in front of the box. His inherent nature does not enjoy such sadness in the least, so he at least tries to see if there is any kind of door there instead of just turning around and leaving.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-07, 03:09 PM
Looking closely at the cube, Nicholas is sure of two things. First of all, Nicholas is sure that this block is a cage like the others, or at least that the cube is hollow, based on the ease with which it sways in the dark. Secondly, Nicholas is certain that there is no door, that there is nothing that even seems to have been a door.

(edited for better wording)

Ridai
2013-03-08, 12:05 PM
With nothing there is to do, apparently, Nicholas reluctantly turns around and follows Sheila.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-12, 09:34 PM
Walking back past the four-way intersection, you can see movement down to the southwest. A limping figure almost seems to tumble into cage 15. The movement, so quick and subtle, gives you just enough time to see the flourish of crimson fabric.

Ridai
2013-03-13, 10:27 AM
A glimpse of something quite familiar. Nicholas taps Sheila's upper arm, pointing in the direction of 15 and heading there, seeing if he can enter 15.

Starsign
2013-03-13, 09:23 PM
Sheila finds herself blinking in surprise as she watches the limping figure move into cage 15; the crimson fabric she notices twists her heart in tension. What was she to say at this time when she could be meeting an old friend? It could mean anything and whatever it is could be a heartwarming or heartbreaking moment, as much of this world has been like before. Yet like before, she can't shy away from this situation. With a brave heart, she nods to Nicholas and follows him to cage 15, seeing what could be there without saying a word.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-18, 10:05 PM
Opening the solid iron cage of 15, the first thing you see is a burst of flame in the distance. Looking outwards, you can see that you seem to be looking into Drachna, peering through an open door onto a T-intersection about a block away. The buildings have taken heavy damage.

As the first dies down, you can see orcs flood through the streets away from the flames, pushing their way past the human populace that had frozen in place out on the streets, huddled in place as if waiting for death to come to them.

You also see the source of the fire, apparently breathed by a beautiful young woman of all things, outfitted in an immaculate white dress. From either side of her head emerges curling ram horns. As the human populace raise up to watch her and the fried orcs resting at her feet, the woman closes her eyes in focus as the horns slowly retreat back into her head, leaving no trace behind.

Ridai
2013-03-19, 02:19 AM
At this point, Nicholas is only mildly surprised. As far as he knows, these rooms are like windows into the past. He saw Madeline enter. He has seen Madeline breath fire in the past. She is their friend. Whether she has horns or unnatural powers doesn't matter much to him. He has come back from the dead twice, damn it. What he sees is a beautiful young woman defending the people against invaders that were intent on killing them.

"Madeline?" Nicholas says as he approaches the scene, watching for a sign of her recognizing them. There is no shock on his face, just the expression of trying to put together what is going on like with most rooms they've been into, replaced by welcoming a friend if she does recognize them.

Starsign
2013-03-19, 08:35 PM
Sheila finds herself breathless as she watches the roaring flames among the city of Drachna. It wasn't so much the surprise seeing it as it was the sight it has. She has rarely seen fires, much less ones such as this. Had this be the actual, real world, Sheila might be horrified. In this case however, it looked less like a natural disaster and somewhat more like still art done my a master artist.

Of course the real reason she and Nicholas are here viewing this is because of the woman in red seen amongst the flames. Her beauty is incredible, horns or otherwise. For a moment Sheila wonders whether this truly happened in the orcs' invasion or if this is simply another twisted figment of a tale. Yet regardless, the woman looked familiar and Sheila could not ignore it.

Sheila walks forward along with Nicholas as they approach the scene. "Madeline...?" Her soft, quiet voice echoes' Nicholas as she wonders whether the woman she and Nicholas met and traveled with for a short time is in front of them or if it's a simple, unfortunate coincidence.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-19, 09:08 PM
Madeline raises up her head as you call to her and she seems to see you, weakly smiling and trying to take a step forward, stumbling and falling against a nearby building. As she slowly makes her way towards you, the crowd fills in behind you as everyone else starts crowding around her, though they give the girl a wide berth. You can her the people whisper and mutter about themselves, hear the word "witch" rise above the chatter.

Ridai
2013-03-20, 02:20 AM
Seeing Madeline stumble and struggle, Nicholas rushes to her side, pushing a way through the crowd if needed. "Easy, we're here with you, we'll get you out of here." He says softly, gently helping her stand and supporting her. He always had an easier time talking to women than men, partially due to Anarya's care, and perhaps he also has more respect for them than for his own gender. He is also sick and tired of seeing Madeline suffer, same with Sheila and Anarya (and his wife-to-be). Helping Madeline away from the scene, the crowd makes him furious, showing some of the shameful behavior common to humanity.

"This woman just saved you from certain death without regard for her own well-being and all you do is stand and gawk? Help or take care of the fires!" He shouts towards them, in a moment surprising himself bringing his aptitude at influencing others to bear, like he had to practice often. This time, however, his words are fueled by a cause important to him instead of faking appearances at noble parties.

Starsign
2013-03-20, 02:25 PM
Sheila pulls out a smile as she notices Madeline smiling at the two. She could tell that the woman in the white dress recognized them, and she was relieved for it. Quickly she hurries with Nicholas to her friend's side; Sheila bumping other people a little more than needed compared to Nicholas. "My god," she whispers quietly as she gets a better look at Madeline, looking little like she did when they had seen her before. "Don't try to speak. We'll get you out of here," she says gently to Madeline as she helps Nicholas support her.

At first Sheila does not make any passing accusations to the common folk who accuse Madeline of witchcraft despite her assistance. She is simply the daughter of a blacksmith, even if a relatively renowned one. However seeing Nicholas speak back to the group incites something within her. She had forgotten for just a moment about the importance of words and chooses to speak up in Madeline's defense. "You all throw accusations at her just because she helped save you?" Her voice is gentler, trying to appease the civilians through charisma more than criticisms. "Please think, she did what she could to save you and the lives of others. You could at least appreciate and respect her courage by helping with the city and it's people instead of acting terrified over a woman!"

Not sure whether this can call for a Diplomacy check, but here comes one anyway: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-22, 10:41 PM
"Don't try to speak?" Madeline repeats, her voice soft but cracked with emotion and fatigue, "How could I do that when there's so much that I've been longing to say?" Madeline allows you two to support her but it would seem to be for the contact more than anything else as she doesn't start walking, Similarly, the crowd around her doesn't seem to respond your cries.

"They can't hear you," Madeline confirms, shaking her head, "I know that this is a lot to ask, especially after all that you've done, but try not to worry too much about me. Even if I deserved your concern, you've already done more for me than you could ever know. Besides, it's not like I'll really die. I don't think that I could if I wanted to."

"I can't ask you to understand but this place is giving me a chance to be myself; a chance to talk to my only real friends here. When you leave me and this world behind, I want to look back and remember a single happy conversation with friends. I don't want to waste a moment of this precious time fighting. I just want a happy memory."

Looking from Sheila to Nicholas and back, Madeline's expression silently pleads with you as she rests at the verge of tears, "Please... please... just... close your eyes. I... I understand if you need to leave but... but I don't want you to see me like this. Please... you don't deserve to see this."

Ridai
2013-03-23, 04:09 AM
Gently, Nicholas lays a hand on Madeline's cheek. "Madeline, we do not know much about you, what you've been through or what you have done. But all we see is the beautiful woman you are, on the inside and outside, our cherished friend within this mad world. It might not have been obvious, but you helped us push onwards and stay sane more than you might ever know." There is frustration within Nicholas that they might not be able to do more, that despair has taken such a heavy toll on Madeline. He just wants to wipe it away, the same going for Sheila and every other good soul caught within this world. His hand moves around Madeline's back, the other pulling Sheila closer as he embraces both.

"I want to end this madness, find a way to free all these souls, including you, so they can finally be free and at peace. We might part ways, but I refuse to forget you or turn my back on you, Madeline."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-23, 08:18 AM
At your kind words, Madeline breaks into tears, holding the two of you tightly as she struggles to gain control of her breathing, "I *sob* know, I know. *sob* I *sob* promise. I promise we'll meet again. No matter wh- what happens here, I promise. Ev- *sob* even if we won't recognize each other, I *sob* promise not to hurt you or to hold you back any more."

The crowd starts making their way inward, "please... Nicholas... Shiela... no more fighting. Can't we just... talk?"

Ridai
2013-03-23, 08:46 AM
"Always," Nicholas answers, smiling softly, trying to ease her mind. This moment just belongs to the three of them.

Starsign
2013-03-23, 10:08 PM
Sheila is at a complete loss of words to say. She knew life must have been hard for Madeline but her condition is just so much worse than it had previously seen. As Nicholas pulls her in to comfort Madeline, Sheila thinks on how this all occurred for the poor girl and how she could help. "Madeline..." She begins with a gentle tone, trying to ease in her words. "We can talk now but... we have one who is in our way that we must fight." Sheila still hates the idea of having to fight that blasted orc. "I had hoped we could get out without fighting anymore, but... Dolnath wishes us to fight him for his desires."

Sheila holds Madeline tightly, not letting go for a couple moments. "We can talk, we have this moment to talk. But... we have to fight later. Unless there might be another way around, we're forced to fight..." She sees the crowd move inward to them. Sheila didn't want to be surrounded by the crowd, but for just a moment she will be with Nicholas and Madeline. "But me and Nicholas are here for you. We can be your happy memory, that's what I can offer."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-25, 12:52 PM
Madeline nods, gaining some control over her breathing, "I... I really want you to know how much you mean to me. I have been here for so long... I've waited so long but no one has ever treated me as you have. They've abandoned me... They've turned their blades on me... when you first came, I think I was starting to lose my mind. I- I didn't know what to think of you, at first. I thought you would be just like all of the others or- or that I was just imagining you. I- I wished that you'd just go away, that you'd leave me alone so I wouldn't have to start hoping again. I didn't want to be hurt again."

The crowd starts to truly crowd in around Madeline, causing her to pause for a moment, "I'm sorry to ask this again but could you close your eyes? I doubt I'm going anywhere but... I... you..."

Ridai
2013-03-25, 01:03 PM
A warm smile appears on Nicholas' features at the first sentence, listening attentively to their friend. As the crowd closes in and Madeline makes her request, he is silent for just a moment. "If that is your wish." He trusts her, he makes it obvious, in now knowing what would lead to her happiness. And thus, he closes his eyes.

Starsign
2013-03-25, 01:27 PM
Sheila hesitates slightly as she notices Madeline restating her request. She didn't want to keep her eyes shut. Opening them is how the two have been able to understand and survive for so long. Yet... she gets the feeling that what is about to follow will be horrific even by the standards of this world. For Madeline, it might be something she's been through so many times before. Sheila didn't want to imagine it, she wanted to see it. Yet Madeline's tone and words were enough to sway her.

Slowly she nods to Madeline; a look of regret is dashed on her face as she tries to smile. "...Of course," she says with a bit of hesitance as she closes her eyes. If it makes Madeline happy, she will do it, regrets or otherwise.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-25, 01:41 PM
Closing your eyes, Madeline takes a few deep breaths before continuing, "I was wrong, though. You were real and you were different. You saw that I was still there even when I was starting to doubt it. You were the first to talk to me, the first who wanted to know what I thought. I wasn't lying before, you know. This is really the first time I've ever been freed from that cage. If it weren't for you, I'd have been torn apart all over again," At the thought, you can feel Madeline shiver in fear, "You brought me out and took me with you. You returned my greatest treasure when I had all but forgotten about it. Because of you, I can stand here as myself for very first time. Because of you, I don't have to be alone any more." You hear something small whiz through the air, flying inches over your heads, "Thank you," says Madeline, not paying the noise any attention at all, "Thank you,"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ridai
2013-03-25, 01:56 PM
Standing there, Nicholas takes a deep breath, having to keep calm, for her. He grasps Sheila's hand, standing upright, wanting to be strong for Madeline. "We will make things right, Madeline. We will end this nightmare and set you free. I promise." He can all but see what is happening, he has seen similar in the past. If he can help her in any way by being here, he does so.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-25, 02:00 PM
"I know you will," says Madeline as another object flies through the air, "if anyone can do it, it's you two." Madeline is clearly on the verge of tears as another projectile flies wide. "Listen to me, sulking like this. And here I wanted to make a happy memory. Why don't you two tell me about yourselves. I've been talking all about myself but I hardly know anything about you. I want to know more-" with this, a third projectile sails between the two of you and you can feel Madeline fall backwards onto to the floor. After a moment of status, you can hear a voice from the floor, "It's okay. I hardly felt a thing." Slowly, using the two of you for support, Madeline regains her footing, though she seems a bit wobbly on her feet. The mutters of the crowd, soft before, now sound muted and distorted as if listening from under water.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]

Ridai
2013-03-26, 02:52 AM
Nicholas has to keep his breathing calm, be strong for Madeline, so frustrated that she has to suffer through this. He supports her as best he can. "The youngest of a noble family, Daenalus' 'purest'. Anarya's been my guardian since I was five, we fell in love over the years, conceived a child. Thought I lost her, but found her again here. Marriage to another noble, Elena, my... best friend, honestly, was arranged." Nicholas talks quickly, as time is short, a short sigh speaking volumes about his relationships to both women. "I just want both to be happy, just as with both of you." And this says even more, his fast, hushed voice filled with his genuine desire to make things better for them, that it is a matter close to his heart. He stops there, not wanting to take up more time. But he can't help but give a minor memory, that of a fun book he read as a child, one Anarya doesn't know about, to make the stones miss for at least a small time, so Madeline can hear his and Sheila's stories. So that her wish can be fulfilled.

Starsign
2013-03-26, 09:43 AM
Sheila could only hear what is happening, but hearing it was all she needed to figure out what was happening. She doesn't hesitate to keep her eyes shut, but does her best not to imagine what Madeline is going through right now. Madeline wants to know more about her; Sheila could only comply to that. "I'm the daughter of Endrian, Drachna's blacksmith. I was to wed to Rihan Adolsis; we almost did. But we were separated, I thought he was dead until I saw him here again.

Looking back on Sheila's past no longer felt so painful for her. With Rihan alive, things feel like they could come back into place. Everything may be alright if the two can get out of here alive. "We all stay strong to try and escape. And for everyone else, I hope they will be happy." She didn't want to say about those who won't make it out. She'd rather see someone die happily in this tormented land than to live here in agony for the rest of their lives. That's all she wants Madeline to be right now, to be happy.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-26, 09:49 AM
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]

As you speak of the lives you left behind you in Drachna, Madeline listens intently. The flying projectiles seem to come faster and with greater accuracy. In spite of Nicholas' wish, at least three different stones seem to hit her. The world seems to tilt to one side as Madeline nearly falls to the ground, relying solely on you for support. Even as you continue talking, Madeline fails to lift herself fully back up onto her own two feet. As she starts to speak once more, drops of warm fluid land on your shoulders "I'm... so... sorry. I... didn't know. Didn't want... to open... old wounds." Madeline rests silently for a couple of seconds, long enough for you to register that the stones have stopped. Instead, you hear the distorted sounds of footsteps all around you clearing the way for... something. "Tell me..." Madeline starts, "what... keeps... you two... moving forward?"

Ridai
2013-03-26, 11:18 AM
"It's okay. It's okay, Madeline. It doesn't hurt anymore, we are going to be alright," Nicholas gently calms her, caressing her back to at least offer some comfort.

"I want this nightmare to end for everyone involved. I want them to be free. I want to really get to know my family. I want to be with Anarya again, clear her name, make sure she will get to lead the life she desires as the heroine she is," Nicholas answers the question.

Starsign
2013-03-26, 11:25 AM
Sheila keeps Madeline held gently as the latter listens. The strained voice Madeline puts out makes it difficult for Sheila to keep listening. She does her best to remain calm however as she responds to Madeline's question. "We move forward to end this, to reunite with our loved ones, to give us all new lives that are better than what we've been through." That has been the answer Sheila has always followed; it won't be swayed by what else lies in this world.

"But I won't wish for it. We both work towards it. With that, we hope you all will be happy as well." Sheila can't help but smile a bit. Reaffirming her goals and plans feels like something positive in this world. It is a great feeling, one she hopes other innocent people like Madeline could know and understand.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-26, 11:45 AM
Listening to the two of you speak, both of you can feel more liquid drip down onto your shoulders. Right as Nicholas finishes talking, you can feel Madeline push off of your shoulders as if to dive and hear her fall to the floor as something is thrust forcefully through the two of you. Thankfully, in the state you find yourself in, neither of you are harmed in the slightest. "I'm fine," gasps Madeline between frantic breaths as she bids Sheila to continue.

From her labored breathing, you can tell that Madeline is trying to reach you again. By the time Sheila finishes, Madeline is weakly grabbing at your legs as if trying to upright herself but she seems to lack the strength. When she speaks, however, she doesn't seem to have any difficulty.

"I wish that I was strong like you. I can't... I can't seem to do anything for myself. All I ever do is wait and dream of being saved from this nightmare. Even right now, even after telling you everything was okay, I'm still hoping for a miracle. I keep telling myself that this time things will be different, that the one I love can save me. I don't want want to die. I don't want to start this nightmare over again. I don't want to lose you. I just want to live and all I can do is hope. Please... please. I just want to liiiiaaaaaaauuuuuugh." You can hear metal sink into flesh as the darkness held inside of your eyelids is dyed a deep shade of red.

The breathing behind you is forced and and light, though it slowly raises upwards until it is as if she is standing once more, "I'm... sorry. I didn't mean it. It has to end like this. Thank you... thank you... thank you so sooo much. I don't think I can talk much longer... If... if you're still there, could you tell me what Drachna is like? I think that I feel a bit homesick."

[roll0][[roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Ridai
2013-03-26, 12:35 PM
"It is an old, beautiful place. There are the cities and castles, sure, but more so there are the high mountains as old as time itself, the many lush forests, all the hills and valleys and their meadows inviting you to just lie there and enjoy the sun in the summertime together with the ones you love, just as the wintertimes bring you close together as you see the snow fall silently outside, gliding down accompanied by the gentle sound of the winds." Nicholas holds Madeline as long as he can. The horror of having witnessed murder of Madeline, it has no place inside him right now. "Never stop hoping, never stop believing, Madeline. Don't let this world bring you down. Please, promise us."

Starsign
2013-03-27, 07:37 AM
Sheila finds herself almost flinching from the sounds she was hearing. For a moment she wondered whether it was better to see than to hear. Yet the idea of that meant that she would not hear Madeline's voice. To what Madeline asks, Sheila can't say more than what Nicholas has already mentioned. His way of describing the nearby areas of Drachna are truly beautiful, so much that it might be an insult to try and continue. Yet it is best to talk in these times, so Sheila does so.

"The city itself bustled with activity," she begins, sweetly talking almost like a grandmother to her grandchildren. "Houses were strongly built of wood and stone. People walked through the hand-made roads and gently cared for the architecture built. The great middle of the town square housed the most beautiful garden you can imagine and marble memorials dedicated to all those who fought in the wars; that is where me and Rihan first met." She holds still, carefully holding Madeline as best as she can. "When this is all over; when we set things right, let us all meet together back at the town square. You, me, Nicholas, Anarya, and Rihan. All of us... please." Whether her request is a long-shot or even possible is not known to Sheila. The thought of it happening however is another thing that drives her forward.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-27, 10:06 AM
As Nicholas talks, the two of you can hear metal click into place behind you shortly before you hear a series of short, muffled screams. The screams stop shortly after Nicholas has concluded but as Sheila talks, the two of you can feel Madeline being lifted up from ground and out of your reach, a soft gurgle trapped in the back of her throat. As Sheila finishes, Madeline lets out a soft "mm", though who she is responding to is anyone's guess. Slowly, the deep red within your eyelids fades back to black as the sunlight around you fades into darkness and the sound of the crowd fades into oblivion. At last, there is only a single source of dim light somewhere above you.

Ridai
2013-03-27, 10:12 AM
Nicholas opens his eyes, looking around (also at himself and Sheila), then towards the light above.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-27, 10:45 AM
Looking around, the crowded streets of Drachna are gone. Instead, you can see that you are plainly within a large metal cage, the floor of which is somehow covered in grass. A single lit street lamp rests in the center of the room, throwing the rest of the horror into sharp relief. Madeline, still in human form, has been hung, the other end of the rope ties around the lamp.

Looking at her, her face has clearly taken several hits but has been purposefully mutilated far beyond that point. Her eyes have been carved out, her ears and nose nearly shredded off, and her mouth is filled with a tremendous gag, large enough that her jaw seems to have broken. Her body, by comparison, has fared much better, possessing three exit wounds around her lungs and heart as if pierce with a pitchfork. One of her legs is clearly broken and both her arms and her legs are bound in manacles. Her hands, furthermore, have been thoroughly mangled as if to prevent somatic components. It seems as though blades have been thrust repeatedly between each of her knuckles and a small shard of metal still rests between two of them. In spite of this, however, one hand retains a tight grip on a picture frame, familiar but lacking its previous nimbus of illumination. Madeline's body, along with your shoulders, are drenched with black ichor, a substance that leaks from each of her wounds.

Ridai
2013-03-27, 12:05 PM
Nicholas stands there in silence for a while, just looking up at Madeline. Then, slowly, gently, he walks over to her, turning her hands just enough to see what picture is in the frame before returning her hand to its original position with a soft pat.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-27, 12:18 PM
NicholasThe picture, from an objective standpoint, isn't anything too special. It seems to have been sketched by an artist of some potential but of little refined skill. The picture depicts couple sitting in the corner of the tavern. A youngish man with smoothed-back hair and dressed in regal wear sits at ease while the girl, clearly Madeline, sits in his lap dressed in a barmaid's dress with one arm wrapped around him. Each of them hold a single mug aloft and seem to be smiling directly at the artist. For all of the roughness of the picture, the smiles are where his talent truly shines through. Looking at their smiles, you can tell that the artist isn't simply fabricating something from fiction or memory. The smiles are easy and gentle and joyful and authentic. You can only imagine how long they must have sat there having their pictures drawn but their smiles don't look forced in the least. In that picture, at least, Madeline is forever in bliss.

The man below her, equally mirthful, seems familiar, though you have a hard time saying exactly how. Eventually, however, you realize how this young man seems familiar.

He looks a little like you.

Ridai
2013-03-27, 12:23 PM
Actually quite surprised, Nicholas looks at the picture a bit longer, trying to see any details that might help truly identify that person, whether he might actually be related to him or if he, somehow... was him.

Starsign
2013-03-27, 12:31 PM
Sheila goes to slowly open her eyes. Her mouth is covered by her hand as she sees the mutilated Madeline. What a horrific sight it was; Sheila didn't have a single thing she could say to it. There probably is a connection between what had occured and the black ichor sprayed here. She can't imagine how right now though; all she has right now is a tragic sadness for Madeline.

Sheila slowly walks up to Nicholas as he goes to take a look and analyze the picture contained within Madeline's hand. Feeling that it would be at least worth to look once, Sheila slowly touches the picture frame so she may get a look at it herself. Her sorrowful face hoping that it might be something to know that it their time with Madeline was not a waste.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-27, 12:31 PM
As the picture is merely a sketch, it's hard to say exactly how accurate it is when looking for distinguishing marks. The way that the sketch is drawn, however, it doesn't look precisely like anyone from your immediate family.

Starsign
2013-03-27, 10:33 PM
Sheila's hands do their best to stay still as she sees the picture. The look on Madeline's face in the sketch turns out to be one of the most beautiful things she has seen. The simply joy stemming from it gives off more life than anything else in the world. She hopes that it is the happy memory Madeline has, the one she will forever remember and keep close to her soul. To Sheila, this feels like an accomplishment; it's something she worked towards and ended up doing something right for a change. Even if she couldn't truly stop Madeline's execution or tragic end, the fact that Madeline may be in bliss thanks to Sheila and Nicholas is enough for Sheila to smile and be proud of herself for a change.

With a smile showing tearful satisfaction, Sheila waits for Nicholas to finish analyzing the picture before she kindly takes it from him. She eyes it over and then looks over at Madeline's corpse. "...Do you think Madeline wants us to take this picture with us?" She feels that this is something that the two were asked to take, though Nicholas may think very differently. "I feel that this is something we could show to someone else. If we meet Madeline again, or her family, she must have a family, let's show this. I... I think this is something important for us all involved."

Ridai
2013-03-28, 02:30 AM
"I think it is where it belongs. We don't even know if we can take objects from this place back to the real world. For all we know, we might just be sleeping back there."

Starsign
2013-03-28, 10:08 AM
Sheila thinks for a moment, nods, and then gives the picture to Nicholas. "Alright then," she says with her smile, letting him decide what to do with it. Her heart is filled with a greater sense of drive after such a scene the two had witnessed and heard. "Shall we be going then? We've still got a ways to go and things to do before we can end this nightmare for everyone." With that, she follows Nicholas to whichever cage is next.

Ridai
2013-03-28, 11:35 AM
(Nicholas never took the picture)

His thoughts might not reach anything, but he still sends his best thoughts to Madeline. "We will get you out of here." Looking to Sheila, he nods. "Let's go." Once they have left the room, they close the door behind them.

Taking a deep breath, he reorients himself and heads to the 14.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-28, 05:14 PM
Cage 14, a large sheet metal cage engraved with the word "legacy", is far larger on the inside than its exterior dimensions suggest, forming a long hallway 40 feet wide and at least 100 feet long. To either side of you, row after row of crucified blank, all of them feral in shape like an orc, struggle as they sense your presence. At the far end of the cage rests none other than Dolnath, pinned into the far wall through the same weapons pierced through his gut you first saw in the orc.

Ridai
2013-03-28, 05:30 PM
Nicholas momentarily squints, then heads into the room, over to Dolnath.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-28, 05:38 PM
Dolnath lightly chuckles to himself as Nicholas comes inside. "I knew you would come. I knew there was some valor in your bones. Come, Spawn of Daenalus, remove these weapons so I may stand and pick one to wield against me."

Starsign
2013-03-29, 10:15 AM
Sheila gasps a bit as she notices the infamous orc in cage 14. She would have expected him to be in either the large stone tower or at the cage in the bottom of the area rather than here. It is already too early to "meet" him in her own opinion, yet splitting up from Nicholas would be a pretty bad idea, to say the least. So with a gulp, Sheila walks up with Nicholas towards Dolnath.

She started to feel worried when Dolnath tells them to remove the weapons placed on him. She feels hesitant to even do so without knowing how this would actually work. "Wait, hold on a moment. Before we do so, could you explain how this is going to work exactly?" She looks at the weapons stuck in Dolnath, unable to imagine what the pain must be like. They were put into the orc for a very specific reason, possibly a symbolic one. "I'd also like to know what those... things in you are. I feel that they are simply more than weapons."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-29, 10:44 AM
Dolnath stares wordlessly at Sheila for a moment or two before continuing, "These weapons are magical. They enchanted for strength and they hold me against this wall. You will remove them so I may move and choose your weapons. If you wish, you can feed on the black blood of my kinsman so you may face me at full strength. If you wish, you may ask me what you may while I stretch and prepare. Then, we will fight. I care not whether you attack me all at once or fight me one at a time. After I have killed you in fair and even combat, I will return home to my people."

Starsign
2013-03-29, 10:53 AM
Sheila blinks a bit at what Dolnath says. The ways she and Nicholas might stretch the limits of this "duel" will help, but what is odd is what he had mentioned in regards to the black ichor. "I beg your pardon, but... This," she pulls out the black vial, "ichor; this liquid is from your own kind? We barely know it, hence our hesitance in using it. Could you explain a little more?" She finds it odd, almost worrying about what the ichor is. If Dolnath knows what it is, Sheila will want to know.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-01, 08:52 PM
Dolnath laughs a deep, chilling laugh. "A symptom of a far greater plague, woman. A plague that nearly slays the world once each generation. Almost everyone trapped here succumbs in time. No need to worry yourself, though. If you're already here, I doubt a bit of blood would hurt.""

Starsign
2013-04-02, 11:14 AM
While she always had known this came from a plague, Sheila looks conflicted still as she looks at the black vial. She wonders once more about it's origin; she can't imagine it being something that comes once a generation... Of course that isn't what matters at this time. Right now the focus is on getting to Anarya and Rihan, whether Dolnath is in the way or not.

She grips the vial in her hand carefully, knowing her other selves are hardly the kind of combatants an orc would want to fight. One is a mage who uses the shadows to her delight and the other is just an outright cheater in a fair battle. Nicholas' other forms are more suited, yet at the same time she can't help but not have to watch. She looks to Nicholas for a bit of advice. "Nicholas, what's our plan?" She has a bit of an idea on what to do herself, but wouldn't mind a bit of assistance from her companion.

Ridai
2013-04-02, 02:11 PM
"He's got us here, so I guess the way out is through him." Nicholas nods towards Dolnath. "We can explore the rest of the rooms first, if you want. Up to you."

Starsign
2013-04-04, 11:46 AM
Sheila gives a look to Nicholas and finds herself lost in thought for a moment. They didn't have all the time in the world to wander around and they could be a good ways time if they were to explore everywhere else and then tail it back here. Even if they split up it may take some time. The only other equation that can come into factor is whether everything here will disappear once Dolnath is defeated.

She gives herself a few deep breaths, then shakes her head to Nicholas. "I'm not going to turn my back now that we're here. We'll take care Dolnath and then explore the rest." She looks towards Dolnath now, feeling less conflicted now that she has said her words. "I have one last question before we begin," she says, now in a more braver manner. "Just so we understand, what do you and the orcs call 'fair and even combat?' I have some... strategies that I know you will detest so I ask to understand the... 'laws' of your people." Her question is less on the understanding of Dolnath and more among the safety of doing this correctly, as to not create disruptions or complications any further. She will be set to go as soon as she receives her answer.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-05, 10:32 AM
"We fight with our weapons until one side stops breathing. This is the only rule I'd expect of you whelps."

Ridai
2013-04-05, 10:53 AM
"That's what I thought." Taking a deep breath, Nicholas pops open the flask and downs the black fluid to change into the Other.

Starsign
2013-04-05, 05:54 PM
Sheila nods to Dolnath as she had pretty much expected those to be the rules laid out. All that matters now would be to defeat him and move on. Much easier said than done, as what the whole world is based around. She looks down at the black vial, considering whether it would be better to take it and risk the addiction or to deny it and risk fighting in her weakened state. Or she could stand back and let Nicholas take care of Dolnath instead; he has much greater physical capability than she does. At the same time it would be wasteful to do so. They were given two samples of this ichor; there is likely a good reason they weren't given more aside from being in short supply.

So with a deep breath and the thoughts and memories of Rihan in her heart, Sheila opens the vial and drinks down the ooze once more. The feeling is never pleasant and she hopes to never get used to it. All she needs is the form that can wield a blade instead of magic and she will be set to go. The thought of coating one of her weapons with the ineffective potions they picked up earlier did cross her mind. The effect however would likely not work or backfire; the two would have to rely on their skills alone here.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-09, 10:21 PM
The transformations are smoother this time around as you feel yourselves slip into your other forms. Where precisely one form starts and the other ends is difficult to say but you find yourselves in your other forms as Dolnath smiles out at you. "Yessss. These are the faces of warriors!"

Ridai
2013-04-10, 11:18 AM
Nonchalantly, Nicholas rips out the weapons holding Dolnath, casting them aside, then puts a bit of distance between the orc and himself, making sure that Sheila stays behind him for the beginning of the fight.

Starsign
2013-04-10, 02:00 PM
With the transformation going smoother, Sheila gives a simple, relaxing stretch as she settles back into the form she had been in before. "Man, I was about to wonder if it took begging to come back out," she nonchalantly states, hardly tense at all by the situation she is in. "That deep, dark consciousness really sucks to be in by yourself. Well hope the other me can keep Sheila company in the meantime."

It takes her a few more moments to notice Dolnath, at which point she calmly draws out the torture rapier she got way long ago. She gives a quiet sigh as she looks at it. "...Hardly a civilized weapon here. Oh do I desire something a little more appealing for a duel." She shrugs her shoulders and presumes a swashbuckler-like combat pose with her weapon. "And I doubt you could call me a warrior without any sort of plate armor but I'm not in a position to be picky." She doesn't bother to take note of how much of a chatterbox she had suddenly become.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-11, 06:58 PM
Dolnath, despite what you may expect at this point, falls helplessly down to the floor as the last weapon is removed from his gut. Judging by the red pool forming below him, he didn't magically heal from his wounds when you removed those weapons, either.

After a couple of weak attempts, Dolnath finally seems to regain control over his muscles and raises himself up onto his feet, grabbing an axe that had pierced him on the way up. Standing, you can see that most of Dolnath's abdomen has been ruined with much of the remaining skin replaced with scar tissue. Unless he's being held up by some form of magic, unlikely judging by the raw pain clear on his face, it's something of a miracle that he's still alive at all.

Gripping the handle of his axe, Dolnath snarls as he looks out towards you.

Roll for initiative.

Ridai
2013-04-12, 12:25 AM
Initiative [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-12, 08:14 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Starsign
2013-04-13, 03:07 PM
Watching Dolnath flop onto the ground and slowly get up makes Sheila wonder the state of form the orc is actually at. Strong as he may be, it seems highly doubtful one would normally live all that by sheer will or strength. She imagines that there is some sorcery behind this, an ironic sense considering it'd be the only way Dolnath is capable of fighting. She decides to bring it up in the middle of battle as peculiarly odd it might be. "Y'know that does look mighty painful," she says without a shred of disgust as the sight of the orcs wounds. "You normally end up in this bad shape in your war campaigns or is this a special case?"

Rather than move immediately, Sheila holds her position from behind Nicholas. On her own, she would make for a rather pitiful combatant. She'd need someone that can be focused on instead, like Nicholas. She waits for him and Dolnath to move before she makes any sort of action herself.

Delaying until after Nicholas' turn. Can't think of a better plan at this time aside from Hiding... which doesn't work in this kind of room.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-17, 08:50 AM
Dolnath Laughs, lifting up his blade as every muscle in his body seems to tense. "No more talk. Now is the time to kill or die."

With that, Dolnath walks up to nicholas and lets out a harrowing barrage.
Attack 1: [roll0] [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2] [roll3]
Confirmation Roll (if needed): [roll4] (add bonus afterward)

Ridai
2013-04-17, 10:58 AM
Nicholas weathers the first blow and dodges the second. Blood has been drawn. But that blow is hardly enough to down him. "My turn." And without another warning other than black veins briefly crawling through the skin of his fists and lower arms, Nicholas unleashes his own set of attacks, stepping a little around Dolnath to give plenty of space for Sheila.

Full attack, five foot diagonal step to Dolnath's side to provide an easily reachable flanking position for Sheila.

Nicholas uses 4 of his Mastery of Self points to add Orc Bane to his fists for a round.

Flurry of Blows
Attack 1: [roll0], [roll1] damage (+14 from critical, see OOC)
Attack 2: [roll2], [roll3] damage

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-20, 11:00 AM
In a single strike, Nicholas utterly destroys Dolnath, a blinding light appearing within the orc that spreads across its body and envelops the entire room. When the light fades, every orc has vanished from the room, leaving only a single key that lingers in mid-air before dropping to the ground. The key lacks anything resembling teeth but other than the ring at one end, the rest seems somehow ghostly and insubstantial.

Ridai
2013-04-20, 11:06 AM
Nicholas wipes his hands, then picks up the key and throws it over to Sheila. "I think you're better with locks." Another hoarse chuckle. "What say you, quick sweep of the rooms?"

Starsign
2013-04-20, 11:26 AM
Sheila was set to fight Dolnath to the death, yet Nicholas' swift and immediate strike seemingly disintegrates the orc with almost limited effort. She lowers her sword arm, then places her blade away as she sees the fight ended as soon as it had begin. "Oh my, just like that? Well I hope it was an honorable duel," she kindly says as she looks in the direction of where Dolnath once was. Her tone then immediately reverts to what this form usually goes with. "...Oh, I'm sorry. The existentially crippled can't talk."

She lets out a calm chuckle as she casually catches the key. "A quick sweep can't hurt now we know the way forward needs a key." Before she decides to leave however, she walks over to Dolnath's weapons and the items used to keep him held. "But I do want to first see if there might be use for any of these. I could use an upgrade from," holding her torturous weapon up in the air, "the impractical torture device." She looks to see if any of the weapons laying around can be taken with them.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-21, 11:13 PM
Among the weapons previously smashed into Dolnath were a Light Mace, a Dagger, a Shortsword, A Quarterstaff, and shortspear along with a longspear, falchion, halberd, longsword, battleaxe, and, to top it out, a flail. All seem to be of masterwork craft, though mundane senses won't tell you too much more.

Starsign
2013-04-22, 11:01 AM
Viewing the weapons, Sheila decides to take the shortsword, longsword, and the longspear with her while getting rid of the other shortsword. She makes a light sigh in the process. "Here that I might have a better replacement for my rapier here. Ah well, the rest of these couldn't hurt. At the very least I have something I can use at long distance." She smiles amusingly at the longspear, knowing it's length means she can poke an enemy at her leisure from a distance.

She lets Nicholas choose a weapon if he wishes and then walks over to the entrance that they had come from. "So what's the plan? Shall we split up and take each cage separately to speed things up or go together as usual?" She casually winks to Nicholas. "Personally, the sooner we sweep, the better. But I'll take your call here. It's how we've made it up to now so far, right?"

Ridai
2013-04-22, 11:09 AM
"Let's split up. Each enters one room and tells the other what was inside afterwards, or calls the other over if need be. If there's a sign of danger, call me." Nicholas picks up a light mace, but has no intentions of using it in this form. Then, he goes to the 13 while directing Sheila to the 20.

Is it possible to get back up from climbing down to 8?

Starsign
2013-04-22, 11:14 AM
Sheila takes a nod to Nicholas and watches him head off to cell 13. She looks towards cell 20 in the meantime and begins making her way to that one. She wonders how many the two have seen by this point; the number of cells here is a bit more than what either of them would probably want to explore while others are waiting for them. Still the story of this dimension and mysteries behind it make this traveling worth something... hopefully.

Yet it is not like her to simply let things dwell on her mind, so in the meantime Sheila makes her way over to cell 20 as instructed, her mind excitingly going through all the possible ideas as what it could be.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-22, 03:52 PM
OOC: With the space between the cages, getting up from down at cage 8 might be perilous unless you use the circular structure to get there.

Cage 13 (labelled "Excess"): The interior of this chamber is nearly entirely dark, granting just enough light to reveal the glitter of gold and gems and the silhouette of a short figure amongst the wealth, calmly letting a cascade of coins spill from his grasp. "Hello again, Nicholas," speaks Sprig.

Cage 20 (labelled "Unity"):The interior of this room looks to be a roomy study, the type that would feel at home in a large mansion. Several chairs have been scattered throughout it, as have a mess of papers. A familiar giant of a man in full-plate, Malleus, stands alone in the room, crumpling a single paper up from the desk and clutching it tightly in one fist. Anarya and Rihann are nowhere to be found and neither is the well-dressed Sanguille.

Ridai
2013-04-22, 04:07 PM
Nicholas looks into the room. "You seem happy enough here." Closes the door. "It's Sprig again." He simply says in the direction of Sheila's door as he make shis way there.

Starsign
2013-04-22, 04:39 PM
Sheila doesn't take to enter the cage itself into the comfy-looking room but does admire how it all looks. She hears Nicholas' call from the distance as she uninterestingly nods her head at the new information. Halfling still stock full of the only thing he knows, she thinks to herself. Hasn't that been something we've seen a thousand times already.

Her mind prefers to focus on Malleus, the man who knows her yet says absolutely nothing on the matter. If any time was perfect to chat with him, it was now. "Well about time we got a moment of silence, hadn't we?" She opens her quick speech in a rigorously casual way as she folds her arms and leans on the side of the cage door. "No time like the present they say. No time better to get to know ourselves better either." Her voice darkens a bit, though not in the ominous way some people do. "Before I ask the questions Sheila would be shouting at you, may I ask how you know her?" She smirks to the large man, eagerly waiting a response.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-29, 09:49 PM
Malleus stands there contemplating the two of you, "I'm sorry but I can't answer your question," he says, slowly, "if I succeed at getting you home in one piece, that information would destroy more lives than one. Besides, even if - SHUT UP!"

Standing on the catwalk behind the two of you stands Sprig, shaking where he stands. "I-I'm sorry. I'm not angry. I'm never angry. I"m just a bit- a bit- You... both of you. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Starsign
2013-04-29, 11:33 PM
Sheila begins to shake her head slowly as Malleus tries to back down from her question. After all the tension that had spawned before with him, she gets the feeling that things cannot continue as is. The actual path of necessity is simple enough; reach Dave and Ishmael to find out to end this and find Rihan and Anarya. Yet Sheila always has the curiosity to look around and explore to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Even if she may never have every piece, she will be satisfied with simply enough to understand about the connection with herself, this giant of a man, and Rihan.

Of course, something unexpected and unpleasant occurs. She gives a audible sigh as she turns to look at Sprig. Why the halfling would follow Nicholas is beyond her. She could just shake her head in disappointment at him. "Please negotiate with him," She slyly whispers to Nicholas. Her words imply simple discussion while her tone implies a more pragmatic idea if it must be resorted to that. After all, Sprig by this point is a emotionally broken, mostly unpredictable, and greedy fool who has become an annoyance to her and Nicholas. To this Sheila, she doesn't find anything bad about getting rid of the halfling for good, though only as a last resort. In this case, the "last resort" is coming a lot quicker than most would like.

In the meantime, Sheila looks back to Malleus. She waves her index finger at him. "Ah ah ah, I don't want to hear you avoiding questions now. Sheila has always wondered about you and how you act around her. She'll probably learn from someone else about the truth, but right now I want to know where you stand." She hopes Nicholas is keeping Sprig "company" as she talks with Malleus. "Right now, if I can't know anything about you, I want to know what you want. You sound like you want to help us escape from this world. Is that your plan?" She smiles at him, not in the usual sense but in what seems like what one would make when they corner their prey. "Come on now. There's always information that won't destroy lives, even if it's just a bit. If you want me to drop suspicion, I'd like to hear something for a change." She wants answers and she isn't letting Malleus leave without them.

Diplomacy on Malleus to see if she can convince any info out of him: [roll0]

Ridai
2013-04-30, 04:44 AM
Nicholas looks over to Sprig, inclining his head. "We are tired of this place. We are getting out, one way or another."

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-30, 04:01 PM
Malleus takes a deep breath to respond but only ends up sighing deeply, "Yes. We're trying to get you out of here. Ending this nightmare as soon as possible is in everyone's best interests. We represent those forces who wish for you to get out of this alive. I... apologize if this sounds callous but you've both done more than enough here. Sanguille and I can finish this alone. We know this world and having you run around only endangers the world even further. You're tired, unprepared, and out of your depth. Wait in the study for just one hour and we can send you home."

Sprig, meanwhile, is continuing his march off of the deep end. "Liar. Hypocrite. I've seen you... Seen you in the town... down in the tunnels... I've watched you spend weeks just hunting down and killing those things... taking their blood... how does that help you? How did leaving me to rot help you escape? How did chopping off my legs help ANYTHING? I'm tired of -acting- afraid whenever you're around. I'm done being pushed around."

In the distance, you can see what looks like large drops of white falling down in the distance, forcefully landing on the grates like an over-large hailstorm. Slowly, the white forms lift themselves upwards, familiar small humanoid forms with gaping black voids where their faces should be, each grasping horrifically pointed weaponry. Neither Sprig nor Malleus has yet to respond to this development, however.

Starsign
2013-05-01, 10:11 AM
For a moment Sheila seems glad that Malleus is finally speaking up. As soon as he begins criticizing her and Nicholas' skills however, she resorts back to her usual, displeased attitude towards him. Considering what she and Nicholas had already accomplished, this becomes an insult reaching the levels of absurdity. She ought to smash his head with the blunt end of her blade until he gets the idea that she is more than capable enough to finish the job.

Of course if it was that easy, the world would have gone way too soft for her. As life really is, Sprig's temper tantrum comes off as another problem to add up to the mess. She had really started to grow tired of the halfling and would want nothing more than to be through with him for good. The only reason why that hasn't happened already though is because the fool is literally selling his soul for his desires. A blade to the heart probably isn't going to do much to stop him. She quickly goes to think on what to do. If one cannot die by the sword, then reason could be possible... That is, if Sprig wasn't a complete lunatic by this point. No sense appealing to virtue when he's lost it already.

In that case, Sheila finds that the best way to do is not to appeal to reason or virtue, but to his wallet. She turns away from Malleus for a time to actively speak to Sprig. "Well look who's being a baby right now," she says in mocking distaste. "So you want to be all high and mighty. That's fine by me. Taking your rage out on us isn't going to do anything however." She acts on her wits like a writer would narrate on the seat of their pants. Could this halfling lose his memories about herself and Nicholas? It'd be worth a try. "If you enjoy this world, why fixate on us? You were the one who told us that we can buy anything for the right 'price.' Have you thought about selling what you remember about us to become a king? I mean think of it! A ruling founder, with faithful servants by his side and an empire at his command! It could all be yours; have you not thought about doing that instead?"

I actually have no idea if this stunt requires Bluff or Diplomacy. Lemme know which one it is :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-01, 10:58 PM
For a moment or two, Sprig seems to calm down and consider it, "Yeah... yeah... I could have anything... anything I want... I- I... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're right, Sheila, I can have anything I want, anything at all. And you know what I want? What I'd LOVE more than anything is to wipe your smug little faces out of existence. Go ahead, give me a reason. Make my day" Behind the halfling, the horde of innocents charge ever forwards along the walkways, liable to reach him in mere moments, though he still doesn't turn around.

Ridai
2013-05-02, 02:06 AM
Nicholas shrugs. "So what's coming afterwards? Did you ever give any thought about you being able to do more than hoard gold?"

Starsign
2013-05-02, 09:07 AM
Sheila is a little jealous at how Nicholas is able of being so nonchalant in such a situation. Right now she is tempted to gut the halfling and forever ignore him afterwards. Yet however it wouldn't work out the way she intended if she were to do so. Instead she notices the oncoming horde, wondering whether they were coming for him... or for them. She hopes it'd be the former, and tries to play it up as such.

So after Nicholas finishes his question, Sheila... almost ominously asks, "Better question. You have all the gold you could want right now... And what did you sell in exchange for it?" She eyes the horde coming, though not obviously pointing it out for the others. The halfling's loss if he doesn't notice it.

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-02, 10:56 PM
"STAY BACK," Sprig shouts, not to the innocents, but out at the two of you, "Stay back! I'm warning you. I'll do it. I'll kill you all. I'll trade you're bodies, your lineage, your death knells. I can take back what I've lost. I can get out of here. I can find her, care for her, provide for her. I can finally remember her na-" It is at this moment the the horde strikes, slashing the halfling with such strength that he launches forwards and lands by you. Apparently riled into a murderous frenzy, the innocents, swarm onto the halfling, who lets out nothing beyond a couple of screams before the horde subsides, lingering on the railing.

Starsign
2013-05-03, 11:05 AM
While the halfling's last words may be interesting from a point of view, Sheila can't give more effort than a shrug as she watches the halfling go limp from the onslaught from the horde. She wonders for only a moment whether the woman Sprig mentioned referred to one of the people he had traveled with beforehand. Of course now that doesn't matter. "One never can run from their dues," she remarks in a way so casual it could almost come off as cold. She had no pity for the halfling and hoped that would be the last of him, even if the real Sheila might be in a bit of regret.

So with the business of Sprig out of the way, Sheila turns back to Malleus presuming that he is still there. "So now, where were we? Ah yes," she begins in a unpleasing tone. "You mentioned at how unprepared and tired we are. A classic 'kitchen' speech a husband would give to his wife if I ever heard one." She taps her foot on the ground; the sound echoing in the room as she continues. "Did you give that speech to Anarya and Rihan as well? You always did have some strange interest in the latter."

She gives a slight, cautious glare to Malleus. She got the implication that he had some sort of past with Rihan that neither has told her about. "Tell me, what was it? Was it jealousy? Extreme rivalry? An unfortunate past that can't be let go?" She merrily shrugs. "You don't have to deny it. Sheila went through those phases too." She doubts that she might get the info she wants here, yet sometimes constantly demanding will eventually go somewhere; it's like constantly dropping an anvil on someone with an iron head until they happen to notice you.

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-03, 12:40 PM
Malleus shakes his head, looking down at what remains of the halflings as the innocents skitter back into the distance, crawling underneath cages and plummeting from the walkway until none remain visible.

"I am not questioning your skills. The two-" Malleus sighs, his expression suddenly worn and sorrowful, "the two of you are ill... and I'm not just talking about your minds. You're carrying a plague, spreading it through Drachna whenever you move about. We thought we'd be fast enough to fix things with minimal casualties but we need a bit more time. Please."

Ridai
2013-05-03, 12:57 PM
"A... plague." Nicholas echoes, looking to the ground. "Is that why we are here? Sleeping in the real world?" He looks back to the entrance, the innocents gone by now. He fixes Malleus with his gaze, the way his head snaps back to look at him extremely sudden and abrupt. "I want to know more about the plague. And what is going on. With our bodies and minds."

Starsign
2013-05-03, 01:04 PM
Sheila makes several blinks towards Malleus as he ignores part of her question and answers another with a rather unpleasant response. It wasn't one that came out of the left field, yet not one she had hoped to hear either. She and Nicholas have been around, picking up hints and signs regarding this plague; told outright about it however turns out to have been brutal. Sheila as-is doesn't seem to worry about the news; not angry nor scared like her other forms might be. "Well, a straight answer finally. I'm delighted." It's hard to tell whether she is sarcastic or serious from the deadpan tone she gives out.

"This isn't the first time we've heard about a plague. We were told it 'slays the world' once every generation. Elven plague doctors tried to cure it, with no success of course." She holds up one of the vials that contained the black ichor earlier. "And what we took is apparently just a symptom involving it." She folds her arms as she leans on the wall, interested in this plague. "I think I could wager a guess how far back this plague goes; we've got a few other tips along the way. It's enough to make some theories. Still, I want to know about this plague too, if it happens to be the biggest problem right now."

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-03, 02:05 PM
Malleus nods, apparently willing to fill you in on the details, "I can only tell you what we've heard or suspect but it's safe to say you're bodies aren't asleep. If you were, this wouldn't have been such a huge mess. You've been running around in the real world for the past month or so. You have... some influence over your body right now. No point in asking you to stay still otherwise. Even so, there's a bit of a disconnect. If I were to kill you, your body would act without any control until you returned back here."

"As far as symptoms, I really couldn't tell you. I doubt the others are going through what you are but most are far too gone by the time they could say one way or the other. Let's see... what else? Airborne... Fast... Lethal... Resists what magic we have. As far as what it comes from, don't really know. Comes from something called the "victim". I've dealt with it before but I don't know all too much about it. As soon as someone gets through this hell, everything will calm down and the world will forget all about this plague."

Ridai
2013-05-03, 02:26 PM
"Month." Pause. "Past month. I think we have been in this world for only a few days. I think I had a vision of sorts of my father talking to someone on the first day. How fast does time pass outside? Are we sleepwalking out there or do we actually seem... aware? I'm not liking someone messing with myself."

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-03, 02:33 PM
"Sleepwalking sounds about right,"

Ridai
2013-05-03, 02:35 PM
"...I find it strange that my family lets my body just wander around."

Starsign
2013-05-03, 02:47 PM
Sheila shakes her head in disbelief and sorrow. "That is grave news," she bluntly understates. "So we are trying to make our way around the place and unknowingly infecting people all this time? No wonder it nearly 'slays the world.'" She raises her arms and places her hands behind her head, still leaning back on the wall. "Me and Nicholas here have read up about the Victim, or partly. We think Daenalus made a deal with it in part to try and bring a family member back from the dead. Somehow it escalated to... this." She waves her hand out to the room outside.

Sheila gives a bit of time to think for a moment. There was a piece missing that seems so glaring to her. "Hmm, oh do I risk asking? Oh of course I do," she says to herself. Sheila addresses Malleus with a question. "So from what we know, this plague happens once every generation. We could surely escape simply, but might you think that there might be a way to remove the plague entirely? By title alone, it sounds like the Victim might be someone we could try to converse with."

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-07, 11:12 AM
Malleus seems to consider this option, weighing the odds in his head with a thoughtful expression. A final look between the two of you seems to settle his mind on the matter, "No," he says, flatly, "blokes have tried reasonin'. Tried fightin' as well. 'Sides, this place is the only thing holdin' back the orcs. The whole space was built to contain them. You break this world and Drachna's got one hell of an angry army at its doorstep. It ain't worth even trying."

Starsign
2013-05-07, 11:34 AM
Sheila proves to be silent at Malleus' response. His words implying much and also telling more than what most of this world had tried not to do. Eventually she speaks up, clearly not amused or impressed but also fascinated. "So what you say is that Daenalus didn't actually defeat the orcish armies of Dolnath's, but instead sealed them off and trapped them?" She gives a quiet smirk. "Explains why he was so ticked off at us then." She finds herself humored slightly considering she... well more like Nicholas had already defeated Dolnath a few minutes ago. Whether he may actually try to bring his armies once more without this world, Sheila can't be sure. What she can hope for however is that the orc is, for now, at peace after an honorable duel.

She puts minimal effort in shrugging as she gives a unwelcoming sigh. "Fine. I see your point then," she tells Malleus. "Did you leave Rihan and Anarya at a safe place too? Half of why we're moving is to reunite with them. I don't want to stay without knowing you ain't left them in a ditch now." Considering this giant of a man was with the two last time Sheila and Nicholas saw them, Sheila didn't want to let him leave until he answered this one, last question.

Ridai
2013-05-07, 12:08 PM
"Exactly. I need a guarantee. Also, a way to free souls from this world. I gave a promise. I intend to keep it." Nicholas won't suddenly forget about Madeline.

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-07, 02:24 PM
Malleus looks between the two of you, clearly thinking as hard as his brain will allow. Though he doesn't look the part of the schemer, it's clear that he's considering how much he can tell you. "A soul, huh... I'm afraid I don't know how a soul would get out of this trap. I don't think it's been done. I, uh, could have Sanguille try talkin' to the Victim about it but we're talking about a miracle here. As far as your... loved ones... hrmmmmm," The large man clearly looks troubled by this entire conversation, "I don't want to sound shady or nothin'. If things were different, I'd tell you everythin'. There's just some stuff here that I can't tell you. Hell, I can't even tell you why I can't say it. If you want a guarantee, I, um..." Malleus furrows his thick brows in thought once more before taking a deep breath and sighing, "If you really want to get out of here, I promise your loved ones are safer with us than they'd be on their own or with you. That's all I can safely say on the matter."

Ridai
2013-05-07, 03:52 PM
Nicholas takes a deep breath and lets out a long, raspy, throaty sigh that sounds all kinds of wrong and displeased. His white appearance safe for his bloodshot almost featureless red eyes (which are narrowing) and being splattered with the blood from exploding Dolnath don't help, either.

Starsign
2013-05-07, 07:19 PM
Sheila gives yet another shrug of annoyance to Malleus. His answer is probably the most unhelpful thing he could have said; the fact that there's more than what Sheila and Nicholas know is the last thing that they wanted to know. She shares Nicholas' long sigh, though nowhere near as raspy or throaty. "...Well if they're safe, then fine; we can live with that. We don't count on miracles anyway." Her voice, though casual, has no part of respect or gratefulness towards Malleus.

"Have it your way if you so badly want it." Without waiting for a response from Malleus, she makes her way out the door, finished with the giant. She waits for Nicholas to come if he's got nothing else to ask. Outside the door, she gives a charming smirk, one indicating that what she said does not translate into what she will be doing.

Ridai
2013-05-08, 01:23 AM
"Nah. I'll go check if there are more people and rooms going 'Secrets, nyeh, nyeh, nyeh'." And Nicholas heads to room 18.

Starsign
2013-05-08, 09:20 AM
Sheila shakes her head in silence. Her and Nicholas' talk with Malleus has clearly dimmed their mood for now. With not much else aside from searching more until they find Dave and Ishmael, Sheila heads to cage 12 to see if she can take a look inside that one.

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-15, 11:39 PM
-Room 12 has already been visited (fittingly, you can see a description at post #12)

-Cage 18, meanwhile, is another matter. Covered in chains and barbed wire and engraved with hundreds of runes, the only unblocked portion of the cage is the door, engraved with the word "sanctuary".

Ridai
2013-06-16, 04:23 AM
Nicholas enters.

Starsign
2013-06-16, 06:24 PM
Sheila halts herself the moment she arrives at Cage 12. Oh hey, we've been here already, she thinks to herself halfheartedly. Obviously this place is driving me insane and I should stay in one place until this ends. She mocks Malleus' advice in her mind as she moves away from the cage and thinks over what else there is to check.

She recalls Cages 11 through 20 being checks with Nicholas examining Cage 18. That's all the southern-half cages as well as the ones furthest on the right. With that, she heads to Cage 10, like she once did before she and Nicholas detoured to Cage 15.

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-19, 09:25 PM
Nicholas, make a Wisdom check, a Reflex save, and a Strength check.

Ridai
2013-06-19, 10:11 PM
Wisdom [roll0]
Reflex [roll1] (includes all 5 points of Mastery of Self)
Strength [roll2]

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-21, 10:10 PM
Opening up the door, Nicholas nearly walks into the cage before catching himself on the doorway, forcing it to lean way from the walkway treacherously as he stares down into the void. This particular cage, it would seem, has no bottom at all, as your dangling foot would attest.

Ridai
2013-06-22, 02:56 AM
Shutting the door again (and the path to a dubious Sanctuary), Nicholas heads for Room 20.

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-24, 11:13 PM
Cage 20 is a large chained cage, wrapped up in adamantine chains so thick that the word "unity" can barely be made out beneath it.

Cage 10, while more accessible, is no friendlier. A large cube of lead hangs motionless in midair without even a chain holding it aloft. Carved neatly on the door is the word "danger".

Ridai
2013-06-25, 03:06 AM
Nothing there, again. Time for 4. "Found nothing," he informs Sheila as he passes by her.

Starsign
2013-06-25, 02:20 PM
Sheila stands still, blinking idly at the lead cage in front of her. The letters on the door clearly inciting a threat to those who enter. She then chuckles quietly. To most this is a sign to stay away; to her this is a call of adventure. "'Keep out,' it says. Well in a journey to find everything we can, guess that means I ought to intrude," she happily speaks to herself as she gives the door a good look.

As Nicholas passes her by, she finds a quick moment to look at him and dully state, "Nothing? It feels like we got the best parts of this place cleaned out already." If a gold mine had only a few nuggets worth of gold, then this is the nightmare equivalent of that.

Considering that the world has always warned them of using caution, Sheila decided not to try something like kicking the door down with her foot arms widened like she's expecting a hug. Instead she makes the attempt at being sneaky. Standing diagonally away from the door, she tries to inch the door open as quietly as possible, preferably without whoever on the other side noticing her in the process. Doing this when there is a slight gap between the cage and the floor is a bit awkward but Sheila will manage with what she has to work with. She will also be sure to take a look into the room to see if it's safe before entering.

Gonna try to open the door quietly without making a sound or being noticed if possible. Will make checks if doable.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-26, 11:14 PM
Heading up north, Nicholas can feel the walkways start to groan beneath his feet. Finally reaching chamber 4, the solid iron cage appears unadorned until entered. Hundreds of papers have been nailed with iron spikes to ever surface of the interior, connected to one another with frayed threads of every-which color, making the room a bit hazardous to walk across. The doorway to cage 5 rests to your right and you can hear an ancient, wheezing voice mumbling to itself from that direction.

Back down at the cage known as danger, Shiela can hear the sound of sickly breathing as she enters, slowly breathing in and out. Thrust into the middle of the floor is a pure-black blade, positively brimming with power even to your unaided senses.

Starsign
2013-06-27, 12:48 PM
Sheila peeks through the door, seeing the black blade in the room. The energy felt from it is incredible, like a gift from a dark oblivion telling her to take it. As such, it is also an unsettling feeling. She had a gut feeling that there is something the blade desires to be used, if not held. Sheila's memories and life force have always been more valuable than any sort of weapon and this would not take priority over that.

The breathing however is a curiosity to Sheila. Does the blade live or is this simply a room trying to trick her out with making her think it is alive? She paces around the room, seeing if she can find anything of value or any clue that could help learn about this blade. She isn't one to let silence breed in a room, so she sees if the blade may even be sentient enough to speak. "Hellooo?" Her voice pikes up with a false sense of innocence. "Sure look sinister, don't you? You able to speak up and introduce yourself?" Better safe than sorry even when adventure calls for these kind of decisions. No sense staying if she won't get an answer.

Ridai
2013-06-27, 12:57 PM
Nicholas takes a look at one or two nearby papers, but otherwise heads towards the voice, trying to make out a few words.

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-27, 10:02 PM
Sheila:Looking through the room, Sheila actually does find something of value. Rows of shelves line the back wall, hidden in the shadows by their contents. Dozens, if not hundreds, of vials of that dark black sludge line the shelves.

The blade, for its part, doesn't seem to respond to your questions. A greatsword by all appearances, a good four feet of blade rest between the hilt and the ground. In response to your question, however, the breathing in the room seems to grow faster.

Make a will save.

Nicholas:Reading the papers, you see mostly letters, news scrolls, and proclamations. It becomes clear that at least those you see involve attacks against your relatives. Ranging from forceful searches and seizures to direct attacks by goons, members of you family seem to be under attack and at least one paper seems rather recent.

Listening closely to the voice, you can only hear random preoccupied and vindictive fragments, "thinks he can... that'll show him... mark my words, we'll... twice next time."

Ridai
2013-06-28, 08:28 AM
Having an idea who that might be based on the room before, Nicholas heads into the room with the voice.

Starsign
2013-06-28, 09:12 AM
The faster breathing in the room gives Sheila the feeling that whoever is in here is being agitated. It could also be that she is unwanted, something she quickly comes to understand. With a simple nod and big, long strides to the door, she goes to open it up where she may exit. "Right. Good talk then," she replies bluntly as she walks out the door and closes it shut. "I swear," she irritatingly mumbles to herself, "People here have no sense of being a 'people's person'."

She shrugs her shoulders and begins walking over to Nicholas as he makes his way to Cage 5 to tell him, "Greatblade of death is considered 'nothing new,' right?" After giving her own news, she decides to follow Nicholas to Cage 5 out of curiosity.

Ridai
2013-06-28, 09:39 AM
"Add black greatsword to the death/doom list."

Realms of Chaos
2013-06-29, 05:53 PM
Passing into the next room, Nicholas sees a mostly empty room, an empty study with empty bookshelfs framing an empty desk with a high-backed chair turned away from you. On the far side of the room, another wooden door can be seen leading even further.

As you enter, however, the muttering voice grows silent. At last, the elderly voice speaks up, "Who's there? One of Corinth's goons, is it?"

Ridai
2013-06-30, 01:16 AM
"Yeah, right," Nicholas sarcastically answers in his raspy voice, approaching, but giving some distance to the man.

Starsign
2013-06-30, 09:10 AM
Entering with Nicholas, Sheila makes a casual pose by raising her arms and placing her hands behind her head as if using them to rest her head while standing. To the elderly voice, Sheila didn't have too much to say of actual value, instead speaking off in some teasing manner. "Oh, Corinth? Nah we don't do work for him. Little too down under for our tastes anyway." She gives a shrug, wondering where the voice is from as she asks, "Not a big fan of the guy? Someone who likes attending those secret gatherings the monarch so dearly despised?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-02, 09:00 PM
"They plot against him as well? Wait, yes, of course they do. Why wouldn't they? Just a pretender sitting on a throne he doesn't deserve. Sticking his nose where is doesn't belong."

Starsign
2013-07-03, 10:14 AM
"Old news," Sheila bluntly remarks at the elderly man's old, dull info. When Nicholas suggested doing a 'quick sweep' of the area, Sheila didn't think the world would actually try and help make it quick. "You have any info on Corinth's role for the creation of this world," she points her thumb to the door leading outside that is behind her, "or is Corinth's rule all that matters for you?"

She takes a look to Nicholas, probably more bored than her right now. While she waits for an answer, she whispers in his ear. "Shall we just leave and explore the rest if this guy has nothing else to say? We've got, what, six of these things left; not including the tower labeled 'I'm important!' of course." She gives a quiet chuckle at her own words before remembering about the elderly man and looks back to him.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-04, 04:52 PM
"Corinth? Create this world? HA! That idiot can't even run his own nation. MY rule is the only one that matters here. I CREATED THIS WORLD AND HE'S TRYING TO BREAK IT!"

Starsign
2013-07-05, 09:53 AM
Sheila can't tell whether this guy is actually being true or whether is he the most insane person in this world, which will say a lot. In a way she's interested in staying to see if she can make sense of this guy. On the other hand, she and Nicholas probably shouldn't need to be together for this. "You should probably leave," she whispers again to Nicholas. "Possibly a waste of time, but I want to see if he'll listen to someone as... crafty as me." She gives a wink to Nicholas before looking back to the elderly man.

"So, your world?" She asks in faux-interest, hiding her desire to drop this guy on a dime if he doesn't help. "Quite a fascinating place then. Tell me, what is your name? Or, how should I address you as?" She isn't sure whether to expect a useful answer. In fact just talking with this man might be making Sheila look like a bit of an idiot.

Ridai
2013-07-06, 05:01 PM
Nicholas sticks around, watching Sheila work on the guy.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-08, 11:26 PM
"You speak before Daenalus," responds the voice, "King of all you see before you."

Ridai
2013-07-09, 09:57 AM
"Hmm." Nicholas inclines his head questioningly. "So, what about that bladed monster out there?" Just to see the reaction.

Starsign
2013-07-09, 10:56 AM
Sheila blinks several times, almost being unable to bear what she just heard. Just like that, the two end up talking with this man claiming to be Daenalus himself. For someone so amazingly powerful, his attitude did not back his claim up even if he wasn't insane. The way to go here now is to see if she and Nicholas can prove that this man is actually the archmage.

Seeing as how Nicholas asked the right question, Sheila barely hides a short giggle under her breath. His question was one subtle enough to go unaware to most people but personal enough to get Daenalus' attention if this is the real archmage. All that matters now is to wait and see what happens. Yet she can't help but visualize his reaction. If he is the real Daenalus, he could spring back on his chair and fall over on his back! Or maybe he'd do some crazy dramatic turn to reveal himself. Or maybe he'd try to kill them both where they stand; not a happy fate that would be when there's still plenty more to ask Daenalus.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-10, 08:52 AM
The voice beyond the chair goes silent for a moment or two before breaking out into laughter, "Beautiful, isn't she? My greatest success by far. Your world wasn't ready for her and her magic, couldn't see beyond labels and superstitions. I've done the impossible. I have crafted heaven with my own two hands, have delivered unto her a just paradise. Here she is healthy... sheltered... free."

Ridai
2013-07-10, 09:18 AM
"Labels and superstitions?" Witch. "Are you familiar with a woman dressed in red, called Madeline?"

Starsign
2013-07-10, 08:16 PM
To say that Sheila is disappointed in the response she gets is an understatement. He is so riled up and obsessed that he doesn't have a problem for how is lover is. Sheila's only reaction is a deadpan, "Match made in heaven," as a way of comparing Daenalus' mental state with that of his lover's physical state. However one's hate grows so much, Sheila can only imagine.

She lets herself keep from asking another question as Nicholas speaks up about Madeline. Whether Daenalus actually knows about her or not is currently up in the air, but Sheila almost can't help herself from loudly comparing how Madeline is similar to Daenalus' lover. There is a relationship here, no doubt about it; a pity Sheila did not know it, for she and Nicholas knows the idea of family well. All she is able to do now is to wait to see if Daenalus has his head grounded enough to recognize the name.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-11, 11:26 PM
The sound of shattering glass or ceramic can be heard from within the chair at the mention of Madeline's name, though no other sound comes in response.

Starsign
2013-07-12, 01:44 PM
Sheila puts her index finger to her cheek as she hears the shatter of what is glass or ceramic. Mentioning Madeline's name seems to have struck the nerve that Sheila wanted Nicholas to hit. In her mind, she needs to follow up on that now if they want Daenalus to spill the info they'd like to hear. What better way to do that than to talk about the very subject more?

"Ah, Madeline," Sheila begins. A slow, soft sigh escapes her lips as she speaks. "Such a nice woman she was. Repelled the orcish army as they came upon Drachna with flames and her powers. Wore a white dress... We saw here there, when the crowd didn't see us." Sheila spoke sweetly before, but now moves to a harsher, more brutal tone as she continues. "The crowd whispered at her; 'witch' they accused her of being. No one but Madeline heard us, one who we had known in this world. She told us to close our eyes as the crowd hung her, as they mutilated her alive. We told her about us."

Sheila's voice then softens once more. "I remember some of her last words to us as well. 'I keep telling myself that this time things will be different, that the one I love can save me.'" There is a slight pause before Sheila continues saying the rest. "She also said, 'I'm... sorry. I didn't mean it. It has to end like this. Thank you... thank you... thank you so sooo much. I don't think I can talk much longer... If... if you're still there, could you tell me what Drachna is like? I think that I feel a bit homesick.'" Another pause settles in. "So we told her about it; about the mountains, the castles, and the town square with the garden that we promised to meet again." She folds her arms gently, her eyes looking away from Daenalus and down to the ground, remembering the time they had with Madeline. "After, we found a picture in her hand. One of her and a young black-haired man and her, happy in a tavern together. So authentic and admiring... I think it is of her last thoughts, one of bliss under everything that happened."

Sheila is a little surprised. For what she had expected, she didn't think that her words would take to a more sombre approach. She had simply expected to speak enough drivel to rile up Daenalus and instead talking like she is supposed to sympathize with him. She didn't of course; her sympathy went to Madeline who had been through so much. Even now the woman's history brings sadness to Sheila's mind, as uncaring as Sheila's current form should be. Finishing up her words, she asks Daenalus one thing. "That picture, was that a moment you know of? A time when family could be happy and lovers could enjoy the good times without regret?" She didn't know Madeline's connection to Daenalus but Sheila has a good idea about what it is.

Ridai
2013-07-12, 02:27 PM
"Well, congratulations. Madeline is caught in a perpetual cycle of suffering, pain and death."

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-15, 12:28 PM
Nothing can be heard from the chair at all.

Ridai
2013-07-15, 12:36 PM
Sighing raspily, Nicholas makes his way over to the chair.

Starsign
2013-07-15, 12:45 PM
Sheila silently rolls her eyes at the complete lack of a reaction. The old man here has to be among the most boring of people she knows. He's a crazy, broken man who's got no sense of humor. It almost seems like he's more harmless than dangerous. She doubts Daenalus would even give a whisper if her and Nicholas asks about The Victim. A lot more than simply time was wasted here. Sheila felt like boredom is growing out of her skull like roots from the ground. "...Fine, you can stay like a golem if you want," she unamusingly states as she turns for the door. "No sense staying around thinking time will forever be idle." She makes that second statement to Nicholas as she walks to the door, only stopping when she notices Nicholas walking up to the chair.

Rather than leave, Sheila rests her back on the wall opposite to the chair as Nicholas walks up. She didn't have much interest in walking forwards; by this point she wouldn't be surprised if Daenalus decided to somehow break his head on a mirror. It'd be an amusing, if painful way to go.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-16, 10:40 PM
Looking over the end of the chair, it is hardly of any surprise any longer that nobody resides within it. The only thing there are the remains of a ceramic heart, thoroughly shattered to reveal something shining inside.

Ridai
2013-07-17, 12:40 AM
Nicholas takes a closer look at what is inside the heart.

Starsign
2013-07-17, 06:38 AM
The uneventful showing of nothing but the remains of the ceramic heart makes Sheila turn her head slowly back and forth. How she can't be surprised by things like this anymore is beyond explanation but after their meetings with Dolnath and Madeline, little fazes the two now. "Almost feels like we've seen all that the world has to offer," she boldly tells Nicholas as he goes to examine the shining object. "But we have been in this... dungeon for a good deal of time now. You think we'll find new, exciting and wondrous events after here?" She makes a small smirk and winks, clearly joking with how she is sugercoating how this world is.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-17, 11:31 PM
Inside the heart are a few iron pegs, almost as if the teeth to a key had been sawed off.

Ridai
2013-07-19, 02:46 PM
"Sheila, hand me that toothless key, please."

Starsign
2013-07-19, 03:15 PM
Sheila observes the pegs of a possible key as she and Nicholas observes it inside the heart. For a moment she doesn't understand what the point of those pegs are. What are these used for, she thinks to herself in a fit of disappointment, a handmade staircase for halflings? It's not until Nicholas' request to her that she quickly comes to realize what it is for. "Oh yes, of course," she then claims to Nicholas as if she knew from the start; a lie Nicholas can easily see through.

She takes the unfinished key that she and Nicholas got from Dolnath. She hands it over to Nicholas before taking the iron pegs and begins assisting him in trying to put it together. "Blacksmithing, lockpicking, they have similarities in assembly," She mentions that idly as she tries to use her knowledge and experience in putting the key together. "Not really my thing but gives us the opportunity to move on, right?" She seems eager to continue onward to examine the other cages. The atmosphere in Daenalus' room feels so lifeless to her.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-20, 01:58 PM
Trying to fit the teeth onto the key, each of them takes a bit of fiddling with but seems to lock in place when placed in a certain position, as if attached with a magnet. As the final tooth is adhered, the entire key seems to crumble in your hands, leaving behind a duplicate made of raw light. While weightless to the touch, the key still rests gently in your hands.

Ridai
2013-07-20, 02:17 PM
"Now we just need a lock." Nicholas heads outside, looking at the tower-esque structure and how to get in there.

Starsign
2013-07-20, 10:52 PM
Sheila follows Nicholas outside, looking almost proud of herself that she and Nicholas made a key. The two of them look out to the tower in front of him, at when Sheila amusingly remarks, "Well we can always close our eyes, believe that there isn't a wall in front of us, and walk our way to the edge of the world." Her remark is continued as she looks away from Nicholas and to the pathway they came from before. "Or, if you really just have to be realistic, I saw a path of cages earlier which you can follow to get around to the back of the tower in case there is something there."

Without moving her head, Sheila jolts her thumb back behind her, pointing at Cage 6. "Of course there's also that. It's about the last thing we have to check here so I won't keep it waiting. There's more down the path I mentioned so I'll probably catch up to you if you decide going down that way." With a playful wave, Sheila walks over to open Cage 6, seeing what is inside this bundle of fun.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-22, 10:35 PM
Cage 6 bears little in the way of adornment, simply an empty cage with no obvious entrance. What looks like a tattered book rests by the near edge, it's cover marred beyond recognition through the dozens of runes carved into it.

Starsign
2013-07-23, 03:39 PM
Sheila looks at the book somewhat in a hurry. The runes placed on it don't quite make up for the astoundingly award-winning mess of a cover it has. "Whoever wrote this might have hit the bottle a bit much," she remarks in a bored fashion as she turns away from the cage "I could recognize Daenali family seal on it, at least a completely mangled version of it but that's it." She gives a quick look from where she is at the cages they've seen so far. "Doesn't leave much left does it?"

Sheila points downwards towards two cages behind the tower. "Looking at the stone tower isn't going to do us any good," she says to Nicholas, intentionally picking at obvious advice. "I suggest walking up to the tower from here. Maybe the key opens a door-sized hole in the wall here. I'll go around the back to see what I can find there." Sheila walks off to go around the back of the tower, seeing if she can even reach there first considering three cages make up part of the "walkway."

Moving past Cages 10, 18, and 14 to see about heading to the area on the other side of the tower, where Cages 8 and 9 are. I'm not sure about the elevation and pathway of the area labeled "B" on the map at Page 1, so I would like some clarification about that please :smallsmile:

Ridai
2013-07-23, 04:09 PM
"Sure." Once Sheila goes, Nicholas takes another look at the book, then takes it with him before he goes to the tower's "main entrance".

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-25, 09:47 PM
On close examination, the tower possesses a readily accessible door leading inside and is even unlocked. Looking at the backside, the jumps look a bit precarious but the "path" down to the northwestern walkway is certainly there and there is an additional door down there leading into the tower.

Starsign
2013-07-26, 02:33 PM
Sheila examines the three cages with a look at caution, knowing that her less-than-mighty body is not quite capable of long distances. She could possibly make the jump but failing will be a long and ultimately warm experience, to say the least. Rather than risk that immediately, Sheila backs out from it and decides to see what Nicholas has found.

"Excellent job detective," she says to Nicholas as she returns to where he is. Slow clapping is made as she walks to his side. "Found the invisible doorway and got it open with your forceful personality. How do you feel?" She jests with the tone of a obnoxious businessman as she walks to the door and opens it up for him. Her tone returns to something more respectful as she lets Nicholas enter. "Seriously though, glad the door lets us through straightforwardly. You'd think it'd be nice if the rest of the world was like that, wouldn't it?"

Ridai
2013-07-26, 02:54 PM
"Yes." Nicholas doesn't say anything more and heads into the tower.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-27, 11:07 PM
The interior of the tower is another prison, though this one is pretty straightforward. The walls are lined with small alcoves for prisoners and the walkway down the center continues counterclockwise. Up ahead, atop a ladder, you can hear the voice of the sharp-dressed Sanguille in one of the alcoves, shouting out where he had formerly seemed calm and in control "TELL US HOW WE CAN SAVE THEM, YOU B*STARD! DON'T THINK I WON'T HESITATE TO KILL YOU"

Starsign
2013-07-28, 11:13 AM
Sheila looks in disappointment seeing yet another prison that the two end up in. "Wow," she says without any hint of surprise. "Daenalus really had a thing for cages and prisons, didn't he?" She can see it like that the 'great' wizard had an obsession with the ideas of being trapped and having no freedom; she could jest that he might have had a problem with open spaces as well. Alas, the only way for her and Nicholas to go is forward through the prison, so forward they do.

The sound of panic and anger rings in Sheila's ears once again as Sanguille yells from atop of a ladder. Let more lives go into disarray as the normally calm man has what sounds like a freakout. Giving a look of interest, Sheila hurries her way up the ladder, not exactly strong enough to get up quickly but reasonably determined enough to get up there anyway. Instead of being quiet as she arrives to the top, she instead greets herself in the most strictly amused way she can. "Language, young man!" She didn't have any sort of right to act like she's anyone's mother but always likes to humor herself traveling this world. The actual Sheila, of course, wouldn't do it to such a degree.

Ridai
2013-07-28, 11:21 AM
Nicholas goes up the ladder, trying to see what the fuss is about.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-28, 10:46 PM
At the top of the ladder stands a Disheveled Sanguille, holding a torch mere inches from the sweating face of another man chained to a table. Though it seems that the man has taken a few bruises, the prisoner still keeps his head high and glares at you with venom. The face, though not familiar from this realm, is one that you know from Drachna. After all, his face has been minted on your money for as long as you've been alive.

the pointed face of the king stares down at you, sneering, "So the monsters finally show themselves. It's about time."

Starsign
2013-07-29, 11:26 AM
"Well well..." Sheila's words intriguingly pop out of her mouth as she arrives to see the king up and bounded by Sanguille. "This place has to be the catch of the day, isn't it?" Dolnath, Daenalus, now Corinth. Sheila and Nicholas now keep meeting many important or memorable people in this dungeon like some big family reunion. And with Dave and Ishmael presumably at the end, dang near everyone Sheila and Nicholas has met before will be here.

As usual, there is a ton that her and Nicholas has to talk about to the king and now-tense Sanguille. Deciding that it is best to split up and talk to different people, Sheila gestures to Nicholas to speak with Corinth while she chats with Sanguille.

"First off, killing the king won't do anything," she casually says to Sanguille as she approaches him, trying to back him away from his own torture session. "I don't think Daenalus is letting him die anytime soon." Sheila leans back on the wall, hands relaxed on the back of her head. "What we're you trying to wriggle out of him anyway? A possible cure for our disease?" Sheila remembers what Malleus had told her and Nicholas about earlier. If the two of them are 'ill' then it's very likely that Sanguille is looking for a cure. It's a noble goal if he hasn't already been losing his mind in his searching.

Ridai
2013-07-29, 01:00 PM
Nicholas heads to Corinth, looking down on the man. "If you feel like telling us how everything we knew is a lie and vaguely hint at what is actually going on, as that seems to happen every five minutes, now is the time. Knock yourself out." He can hardly produce more than a shrug at those at this point.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-29, 01:46 PM
As king Corrinth scoffs, Sanguille looks over the both of you. Rather than looking down his nose at you or dismissing your questions, however, the man seems just nods, a grim smile on his face, before responding, "From the sound of it, you've gotten this place pretty much figured out. At least, as much as anyone can figure it out. You're right, Sheila. The two of us are working to find another cure. If anyone has the solution, it's him."

"Stop talking about me as if I weren't here. And as for you, monster, I have nothing to say."

Starsign
2013-07-29, 02:06 PM
Sheila turns her head slightly to Corinth as he spouts trash to Nicholas, inevitably helping out the none of them. "Well Nicholas," she began, almost trying to hide a smirk behind her almost-uncanny calm attitude. "I can gather that this entire thing boiled down to a bloody feud between the 'good' king and Daenalus, with witch hunts, personal family issues, and The Victim composing a good deal of what happened." she takes a stone between two of her toes and uses it to tap on the floor slowly, making the creaking sound of stone against stone.

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

"Apparently it has gone for a very long time now, this world is barely anything new," she continues tapping the stone on the floor. "And it's the only thing holding the orcs back. Either of you," she looks to both Sanguille and Corinth, "care to add anything to that?"

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-29, 02:19 PM
Sanguille nods again, "You've got the gist of it but I think I could fill in a couple of those holes. The victim is some sort of angel or demon or... something that doesn't really exist anywhere. Daenalus found a means in his life to bind the victim to our world, creating this space somewhere... between... to hold the orcs. What he old wizard didn't predict was that maintaining the world had a cost. Once per generation, some of the mage's descendants would carry a specific plague, fueling the death of hundreds needed to keep this place going until the original hosts could cure themselves. Almost no one remembers afterwards but text written during the breakouts remain, explaining why this old goat knew to attack the Daenali family. Didn't know about those orcs, did you?"

The king, looking shocked, slowly shakes his head, "They've been gone for ages. I was trying to stop a plague before it could start."

Ridai
2013-07-29, 02:19 PM
"So, we're ******. Either people die out there or orcs are out there and a lot more people die. Great." Nicholas deadpans. Hard.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-29, 02:29 PM
[roll0][roll1]

At Nicholas' deadpan remark, Sanguille raises his cane as if to chastise with a bop to the head but his is too slow and the blow is easily caught, "I apologize," starts Sanguille as he rights himself, "but that attitude is simply reprehensible... is that how you were raised? Shut out all hope the moment things get difficult? Treat it like some sort of joke? What would your parents say if they could see you now? The both of you!"

Ridai
2013-07-29, 02:44 PM
"As if the prospect of certain doom ever stopped us from doing something in here. The stuff loses its shine after sort of dying twice. Care to enlighten us or are we in for more vague remarks like we heard a few minutes ago?"

Starsign
2013-07-29, 02:50 PM
Sheila takes in Sanguille's info with only the barest of interests, hiding her appreciating for some filled info, thought not all of it. There is a strange, heavy burden held within Sheila, all hidden by an attitude that feels more out-of-place as time goes by. She doesn't even motion to intrude on Sanguille's attack at Nicholas when he tries so. Instead she blissfully remarks, "Well, I myself can't help but react in any way that isn't anything but amusement. Sheila? She ain't happy about it though. Information like this has broken tons of people; we've seen accounts of it in this world. She can't blame Nicholas for thinking as such."

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

She lets the tapping continue, letting it ring in the ears of everyone, especially that who is bounded. "But like Nicholas, she has a goal she's been reaching in for a long time now. That ain't going to change. Those two are just... Hmm, how to put it, jaded at the least." She gives a quick look at the three once more as she then speaks up again, "But that shouldn't be the main concern now, so let me help you clarify what Nicholas means by asking this: Why is the Victim called as he is, and how does Corinth involve himself in Daenalus' matters?" It doesn't take much of a guess to imagine the answer for the latter. "Oh, and I'll satisfy my own curiosity as well. What does the orcs bound here mean for Dolnath?" She wonders not whether there are too many questions being asked now; that's what happens when you leave someone in the dark for way too long.

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-29, 03:33 PM
Sanguille listens as you talk, pulling out a vial of the black ichor and swallowing it in one gulp as Sheila speaks, though he doesn't seem to noticeably change.

"To answer your questions, I don't know the story behind the victim. I doubt anyone does anymore. Corinth here has been trying to keep tabs on every descendent he could find, waiting to kill anyone who showed the slightest sign of infection and cutting off funds to anyone who might protect them. As far as the orcs, I don't think I get your meaning. All of Dolnath's army was bound here, general and troop alike."

"It's fascinating. It's like you all speak the same dialect of crazy. Do go on."

"As for your attitudes, I'm not doubting your capability." Sanguille sighs, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "When we came here after you, we promised to make sure you got back home. No one doubted you could keep yourself moving. Otherwise, we'd have been your shadows this whole time. The way you've been dealing with this place, however, all that we could ever return are a couple of jaded, sarconic HUSKS!"

"I understand why you'd block this place out. It tries to get into your head. I'm glad that you've kept your bodies moving. At this rate, though, do you think you'll be ready to return to your life when you make it through this? Do you think you can keep up this defiant mask of indifference over all of those deaths for the rest of your lives? Is that your plan? Never crying for the rest of your life? Never laughing? Never caring? Never loving? You may think that you're blocking out this place but all that you're doing is blocking out everything that makes you human. Without a heart to return to, you might as well be doing this all for nothing."

"I take it back, go back to the torture. Anything is better than this load of claptrap."

Starsign
2013-07-29, 03:52 PM
The tapping stops for but a moment at the angry lecture. Sheila's reaction is blank for just a moment before she boorishly states, "I could almost agree with the king here if he wasn't a raving lunatic." She gets up from leaning on the wall, folding her arms with an unfortunate look as she speaks to the man defiant on trying to be a stern teacher to the two. "I'll try to explain something. I'm not Sheila; I'm just a part of her that she learns from. You say we have masks of indifference? I am indifference. Calling me a husk could be perfectly accurate when this is over." Something within this Sheila had shifted a gear, as she now looks unamused.

"But Sheila is different. You don't know her. She's been working all her life here towards saving herself and her lover; Nicholas has done the same. If she was like you stated, Sheila would have been broken long ago... No, she's been heartbroken before even arriving. But she's learning. Before she didn't know what to do, now she has a goal. I'm simply helping her get there." There is a pause in the silent air; Sheila closes her eyes for but a moment, as if reaching out to the subconscious. She opens her eyes afterwards, still the same but with new words to say.

"Do you want to know what Sheila says? She says that she will still love, still care, still laugh. and will cry for all those who have lost themselves in this mess." Her voice is slightly quieter than usual, despite being the same form as before. "But she isn't going to let that get to her now. She isn't going to change who she is to reach her goal, but she knows that she can't let sorrows get in the way of her drive."

She backs up a step, looks to Corinth just to acknowledge his existence, then asks Sanguille, "Understand that?" She was glad to get that all off her chest, even if no one but her and Nicholas may understand what Sheila's other forms are like.

Ridai
2013-07-29, 04:13 PM
"So I'm standing here. After all the **** that has happened to me, seeing my dead brother and my fiance die right at the get-go. And then it just keeps going. Just punching and punching. Right in the gut." Nicholas makes the requisite motion of punching into his own hand, the sound deep and brutal. "Get sliced open, break all my bones, see all kinds of depravity and misery, things get disemboweled, innocent people put through the grinder, Anarya getting brought into this ********* of a world because of me, getting vague **** stuffed down my throat over and over and treated like I was a ******* retard who can't understand a full sentence. You tell me I need to stay away from the people I love. I'm there with Madeline as she gets slaughtered for the umpteenth time while we tell her of her homeland and promise her we'll get her out. We face down a goddamn orc warlord. And a whole other load of ****."

Suddenly, Nicholas lurches forward, lifting Sanguille up easily and slamming him against the wall. "AND YOU ******* BASTARD STAND HERE AND BITCH ABOUT ME TRYING TO KEEP MY **** TOGETHER, TELLING ME I DON'T ******* CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE I LOVE AND JUST KEEP FEEDING ME YOUR HIGH AND MIGHTY ****?! I'M THIS CLOSE TO FEEDING YOU YOUR OWN GODDAMN SPINE, YOU ******* *******!" With that, he slams him against the wall again, then throws him to the ground and knocks the king out with a punch before he can even dare to sneer.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-29, 04:35 PM
[roll0]

Slowly lifting off of the ground, a wheezing and sputtering Sanguille struggles to cast a spell, opening himself wide open for further counterattack. Mixed into the arcane verbal components are the common words. "I leave it all to you".. Whatever spell Sanguille casts goes through without difficulty, though it doesn't cause any immediate changes in the environment.

Ridai
2013-07-30, 11:50 AM
Nicholas sighs, sounding a lot more tired, the raspiness of his voice deepening. "What now..."

Ridai
2013-07-30, 11:56 AM
Moar Listenery [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 12:04 PM
Nicholas:Up ahead in the main passageway, you hear an iron door slam shut after something heavy is dragged through it.

With a snap of his fingers, Sanguille creates a large wooden block that blocks off the entrance. With that done, Sanguille raises himself into a sitting position against a wall, looking out at the two of you as he spits a bit of blood to the floor. "I will keep you safe..." he starts, his face flushed with defiance, "...even if it kills me"

Somewhere up above, in the unseen heights of the tower, you can hear the sound of metal scraping relentlessly against stone.

Ridai
2013-07-30, 12:08 PM
"Godsdamnit, you idiot." Nicholas takes a blue potion and holds it towards Sanguille. "Drink." Meanwhile, he gets ready for whatever might come.

Starsign
2013-07-30, 12:12 PM
Sheila watches her own words fall flat as Nicholas flips out and decks both Sanguille and Corinth with that strength of his. The outburst was nothing like she had expected from him; that form of his seems nothing more than something to suppress the emotions rather than let it out. Even if the form she is in isn't showing much in reaction, that let-out rage would surprise Sheila, perhaps frighten her even. Nicholas is a guy who can obliterate orcs where they stand; no one would want to be at the end of his fist.

She could have made a joke, something resembling how punching things will solve everything if people will be so shy with words. She gets no time for it however, for Sanguille's ominous words followed by the more concerning screech of metal becomes the center of attention for her. "Well Hell's timing couldn't be better," she remarks with a less-than-scared tone as she rushes over to Sanguille, helping him drink the potion Nicholas gives him. "Know an escape route we can take?" Her words, despite the tone, come out in a hurry, indicating a sense of urgency within her. "Don't care if it's locked, we've probably got what we need to open it."

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 12:19 PM
[roll0]

Sanguille accepts the potion, drinking with help from Sheila as the grating sound grows louder. "Can't dismiss the block," says Sanguille, raising to his feet, "but it won't last another 12 seconds. There's a cell with a solid door near the end of the hallway where we've been keeping..." Sanguille swallows, "It'll keep us safe while Malleus ends this whole mess. Get ready to run.'

Ridai
2013-07-30, 12:21 PM
"What. Is going on."

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 12:24 PM
The question is partially answered as The Beast crawls down from up above, crawling over the cage in which you rest like a spider, its claws reaching 3 feet into the cell without even trying.

"Your loved ones are curing you. Just worry about this...thing." Even as he talks however, the both of you can tell that he's only telling part of the truth. He's hiding something big.

Ridai
2013-07-30, 12:33 PM
"Madeline? You still in there?" Listening to Sanguille, Nicholas shortly fixes him with his bloodshot stare. "I know you are hiding something important. Spill."

Starsign
2013-07-30, 12:37 PM
Sheila blinks gently as she turns to see the creature, Daenalus' lover, appearing once more. In a choice between "fight" and "flight," Sheila always knows which is best to go with for this. "Alright, I'm afraid therapy-through-vague-answers time is over," she mentions in a snark as she tries to see about calling out to the creature first. "Hey, Madeline?" she calls out like a caring mother to her child. "You can hear us, right? The two you've met and known plenty of times here?"

She gives one displeased look to Sanguille after, whispering, "By the way, this is a bit of a low blow if this thing is an excuse to make us run away from you." She doesn't avoid the possibility that Sanguille actually may have chosen to call this thing here.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 12:47 PM
"Call it here?" Sanguille balks, "I warded this place. It suffers even now, don't you see?" Surely enough, the beasts flesh seems to bubble and burn as if exposed to incredible heat.

Before Sanguille can get out another word, the beast inserts the blades of one hand into the cage, aiming them roughly at Sheila and Nicholas but stopping well-before actually striking out at you. instead, the beast merely points before withdrawing its blade and driving its blades through the bars instead, slashing a hole out as though cutting through butter.

Sheila: You have the distinct impression that the beast doesn't actually mean you any harm

Ridai
2013-07-30, 12:56 PM
"Drop the damn warding. And talk." Nicholas turns back to the monster. "Madeline, don't make us fight."

Starsign
2013-07-30, 01:02 PM
Even for her current form, Sheila leans back a bit seeing the blades drive towards her and Nicholas. She returns to a more relaxed standing pose as the blades instead slash away the bars. She got a feeling from the action of what would happen following this. There really is now no more time to waste on Sanguille. Answers would need to be given from someone else. Yet Nicholas is so adamant on gathering his answers from the creep. Sheila may regret this, but she really wasn't going to leave Nicholas here even aside from Madeline's offer. "Sanguille, listen to Nicholas. Drop the warding and let us deal with it, then we get to hear why you refuse to tell us anything." She is now harsh and annoyed in her tone, really getting tired of Sanguille's uptight attitude. She can't help but seriously recommend, "Nicholas, if he doesn't comply, knock the fool out and we question him later." For the moment, she decides to think of her companion as the enforcer to these conversations.

Ridai
2013-07-30, 01:03 PM
"Right. No blaze of glory today."

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 01:09 PM
The beast drops down to the floor, waving one of her arms through the air as if motioning for you to follow, the awkward motion sending her cracked neck wavering side to side. Without waiting for you to follow, the beast is off, continuing down the hall.

"No need for violence," responds Sanguille as the wooden block vanishes, his face suddenly paele, "If she isn't here to hurt you, she'll probably answer your question herself. I- I'll lower the ward. I'm sorry. For everything"

Ridai
2013-07-30, 01:12 PM
"...Stay alive, Sanguille. Everyone of us wants to get out of here." Without further ado, figuring Sanguille will soon be strong enough to get around again with the potion ingested, Nicholas follows Madeline.

Starsign
2013-07-30, 01:18 PM
There is a very tempting feeling inside Sheila to squirm at the creature's motions and animation as it waves it's arm in the air before leading off down the hallway. Only now does Sheila seem to realize that being a incredibly destructive creature sucks so much. Some people would kill for such power and this is what happens when one really tries to give it to another. It serves as just another reminder that this thing needs to end, somehow.

Sheila looks to Sanguille as Nicholas takes off after the beast. She isn't too far behind her companion as she lets Sanguille know her mind. "It's a horrible place; we won't lose what makes us human but don't lose yourself trying to save us. That's what Sheila says." She winks to him, as if giving a "see you later" look before running off with Nicholas to catch up to Madeline.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 01:27 PM
Following the creature through the downward spiral of the prison tower, the flesh of the beast ceases to boil as Sanguille apparently keeps his word. At last, the beast stops in front of a steel door in the outer wall, marking it with an X, before digging its claws into the surrounding wall and slowly scaling its way back up into the unknowable heights.

Once, while it is above you, the beast seems to pause, if just for a moment, its limp head positioned by chance as if looking down at the both of you. A single drop of liquid hits Sheila's shoulder as it continues its way up into the heights.

Ridai
2013-07-30, 01:29 PM
"We'll get you out of here." Nicholas opens the door.

Starsign
2013-07-30, 01:32 PM
Sheila looks to her shoulder to notice the drop of what looks like water on it. Slowly she goes to touch it with her finger, wondering as whether it is simply water... or a teardrop. Nicholas' words echoed her own. "That's been part of our plan for a long time, right Nicholas?" She pleasantly reassures him as she follows Nicholas through the door. Wherever Madeline wants to two to go, Sheila is sure that it is better than mindless searching. Who knows though where in the world the two will end up.

Realms of Chaos
2013-07-30, 01:40 PM
Traveling through the door, the first thing you notice is the rain. A heavy storm seems to pour its way through the abyss, replacing the draining heat with a horrid chill in the air. The foundries below let off curtains of steam that fill the air with a loud his as every cage, chain, and grate creaks and groans with decades of rust marching on before your eyes and beneath your feet. Through the mist, you can see the walkway extend out to reach cage #8, in which nothing more than a statue of a beggar and an opening into the final cage rests.

The broad form of Malleus stands tall within cage #9, fiddling with some manner of mechanical device and seeming to suffer some difficulty. Resting at his feet are the crumpled figures of Anarya and Rihan. Gagged and wrapped in chains, it is clear a the very least that neither of them are conscious. From this distance and with all of the mist, it is difficult to tell if they are even alive.

Ridai
2013-07-30, 01:45 PM
Nicholas wastes no time and runs over to Anarya. "Stop whatever you're doing. Now."

Starsign
2013-07-30, 02:01 PM
There was some form of irony that Sheila's current form can figure. The one she is currently in has the least of reactions to this sight. Her other form would have immediately gone ballistic while Sheila herself would probably be as upset as Nicholas right now. Here? This Sheila could barely muster a look of concern for Rihan as she enters the room along with Nicholas, keeping back with her hand ready to draw her weapon. If their meeting with Sanguille is any indication, this confrontation will be lucky to end in something less destructive than a volcanic explosion.

"Now now," she smugly tells Malleus after Nicholas' own warning. "You'd be wise to listen to our warning, especially after we came all this way." She only gives a quick look over at Rihan before looking back at Malleus. "Sanguille said that these two are 'curing' us. Bet he didn't want us to know that 'curing' involved kidnapping, chaining, and a compete lack of care for those people. What angle are you going for this? If we kill people simply by walking around by being ill, how do you expect to use those two to 'save' us?" She loses the smug tone and deadpans what sounds like another sharp note to Malleus. "Your medical skills suck."

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-01, 10:39 PM
Malleus looses his hammer, holding it up in Nicholas' direction, "You want to know the cure? We offer your collateral to what's left of the victim and this whole thing ends. That's the cure! That's your only way home. I'm going on ahead to spare you. Whatever romantic ideas you've got in your head, saying goodbye won't help the pain if you still have to kill them with your own bare hands. Step back and let me work or I'll clobber you where you stand... the both of you."

Ridai
2013-08-02, 10:52 AM
"Offer yourself to the goddamn victim!" Without further ado, Nicholas attacks.

Charge
[roll0], [roll1] + [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 11:07 AM
While she poses no immediate threat of action, Sheila's grip on her weapon handle tightens as Malleus finally speaks out another piece of the puzzle that needed to be filled. Unfortunately for her, sacrificing the very thing she had been driven towards will make the entire journey something of a moot point. In fact this only raises a few more questions, some that Sheila would really like an answer to before the three come to blows. Dave and Ishmael are still somewhere waiting for her and Nicholas after all. Sheila here remembers that, though the real her, along with Nicholas, probably don't have that in their mind at the moment.

She would be right as she watches Nicholas charge at Malleus, vengefully doing so to protect Anarya and Rihan. "Selfish as we are," she warns to Malleus as she draws her weapon, "no one likes a liar." Her last few words are filled with contempt as she follows right after Nicholas, evading behind Malleus and stabbing the large, clobbering extremist in the back. All of Sheila forms would do the same.

Going for a flanking attack with my rapier.
Attack: [roll0]
Normal damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack damage: [roll2]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-02, 11:25 AM
[roll0][roll1]

The armor Malleus wears seems to absorb the brunt of Sheila's attack as well as Nicholas' first strike, though the second hit strikes Malleus right in the face. The large man falls back for a moment or two before righting himself, apparently completely unharmed. Lifting up his large Warhammer, Malleus swings it around toward Sheila, clearly aiming to knock her out and telegraphing his blow in the process and giving her the chance she needs to dodge."It can't be us." Malleus pants, "If it could, we would've offered ourselves ourselves from the start."

Before anyone can respond, another figure walks out onto the grating. Guarded by a shield and suit of armor made of solid force, Sanguille looks far more muscular and vital than what you had last seen in the alcove, quickly dashing into the first cage on his way to the conflict.

Starsign
2013-08-02, 11:50 AM
With the swift evade, Sheila decides it would be better to back up a bit from the big man, not keen on getting blown away from that incredible hammer of his. Even if Nicholas is lost in his own rage, Sheila still has a keen eye to try and pick up whatever loose notes there may still be from Malleus. "Well then if that's what you would do, then why us?" She finds it so odd that this man would want to give their lives to the two of them, or at least Sheila. "We barely know you and you'd give so much for us if you could. So then why?" Sheila almost could try to sneak in a come on if she felt like it but there's a sense of being taken over within her. In a way, it is almost like the actual Sheila speaking her thoughts out, for but just a moment. "What is it that makes us... or me, so important to you?!"

Delaying action for the moment.

Ridai
2013-08-02, 11:50 AM
"So you knock 'em out, slaughter them like animals with no choice?" Nicholas keeps up his attacks.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-02, 12:03 PM
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Both of Nicholas' attacks are blocked by Malleus' thick armor as he hears Sheila's question. The man's eyes seem to bug out a bit as several veins throb in his forehead and neck, his mouth frothing to form the right words.

"It's his duty," says Sanguille, moving to flank Nicholas and swiping his scepter at eye-level, a strike Nicholas dodges under handily, "and mine as well."

"Fwaaaaaaaahhh!" exclaims Malleus in frustration, smashing at Sheila and again missing by inches, instead landing on the grating immediately in front of her.

Ridai
2013-08-02, 12:12 PM
"I'd throw myself against that victim before I'd let Anarya get thrown to the wolves again!" Nicholas keeps up his attack rush, but against Sanguille.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 12:22 PM
Dodging the blow by mere inches, Sheila makes the regretful look that she has nothing else to use but violence. She makes a sigh that wouldn't normally be heard when she's at risk of being crushed by a large hammer. "Vagueness vagueness vagueness. Is that all you two are able to answer or can you actually give a straight response for a change?" Trying to work with Nicholas, Sheila dashes outward to flank and surprise Sanguille with her own weapon. She isn't aiming to kill but will definitely give these two an injury that might last a bit.

All this while Sheila continues blurting out questions in hope for an answer. "How come you two have met The Victim but we haven't? You two it's loyal lapdogs to make up for whatever reason why it has such a name now?" Most creatures don't get a title like The Victim if it had not experienced an event befitting it's name. Something still had to be missing here.

And Attacking with Sneak Attack:
Damage: [roll1]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-02, 12:26 PM
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]

Sanguille attempts two separate strikes. Swiping with his scepter, Nicholas handily dodges once more before releasing a blow that Sanguille handily blocks with his shield. In a moment of surprising alacrity, Sanguille winds up for another hit right as Nicholas strikes him in the solar plexus, knocking the wind from his lungs. It is all that he can do to raise his shield and deflect Sheila's blow as he steadies himself"Malleus, some assistance?" he asks.

The towering man slowly tears himself from Sheila, ignoring her question. Swinging his hammer, the large man manages to sideswipe Nicholas (14 nonlethal damage).

Ridai
2013-08-02, 12:35 PM
Nicholas spins from the hit, but catches himself just as quickly, swinging his fists at Sanguille as he continues the spin on his own.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 12:42 PM
Sheila, thrown in aggravation by the silence given to her, simply gives a huff of annoyance and decides to continue focusing on Sanguille. The complete lack of response these two were giving is unbelievable to her; by all accounts she'd like to kill one of the two just to set an example to the other. That won't help anyone though. So instead, as she gives her flank attack she issues a warning to the two, being completely serious in her words. "Okay look, are you two at least going to give me a reason why you won't answer or do I need to make a wish to force the answers out of you both?" She would rather not have to wish, considering the memories that she'd lose but she is tempted to do so if needed.

Yup yup, attacking:
Damage: [roll1]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-02, 12:54 PM
Launching a series of two more attacks, Nicholas knocks Sanguille up into the air, a flight that allows Sheila to stab him in the stomach on the way down. The once proud caster lies crumpled on the floor, unconscious as blood seeps out into the rain.

Taking a step back, Malleus hovers his hammer directly over Anarya's head. "That's enough!" panting, the small giant looks between Nicholas and Sheila. "I don't think that the two of you can take me out with a single swing. Just lying there, I don't think your beloved can survive a single swing. I don't think you're in any position to ask stupid questions I CAN'T answer. What I do think is you have a choice. Does she die a pointless death in front of you or does she die to save us all?" Malleus believes his words to be serious, though you can tell that not even he knows if he has the resolve.

Ridai
2013-08-02, 01:01 PM
"What. You are going to murder a helpless woman, just like that? For no reason? I don't think so. Drop your weapon and tell us where this victim is."

Ready action to jump between Anarya and the hammer

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-02, 01:06 PM
[roll0][roll1]

Whether he already had the guts to do so or having his bluff called fueled him onwards, Malleus lifts up his hammer and slams it downwards with all of his strength, ramming right into Nicholas' spine as he dives in the way (11 lethal damage).

Ridai
2013-08-02, 01:18 PM
Still shielding Anarya with his own body, Nicholas gets the wind knocked out of his lungs. Without moving into a more defensible position, however, he strikes back. "Over my cold, dead body, you son of a bitch."

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Starsign
2013-08-02, 01:30 PM
Sheila does indeed pause as she notices Malleus point his weapon to Anarya. Even if her current form would be indifferent, it would tarnish Sheila as a whole if she were to let the aasimar die; Rihan would no doubt be right behind her. Nicholas' words however show that he doubts the gamble Malleus is taking, something she had difficulty figuring out herself. The only thing she can really do is see how things turn out.

And as it does turn out, that hammer would really have hurt Anarya if it actually hit her. By this point even if the two could take out the big man, Sheila didn't want to leave the two captive people sitting ducks. Taking a note from Malleus, Sheila points downward and aims her weapon at Sanguille's neck, inches off of touching it. "Alright big man," she says to Malleus, kind but also knowing she holding enough cards to make a play for control. "We all want to get out alive; you know this better than I do. That's why I want you to drop your weapon and back away from us so we can not have a dance of blood in this room. Don't listen and I'm afraid I will have to... remove your friend here. Couldn't care about him really. Does little to help us, nearly kills one of our friends, and just can't help but be as unhelpful as possible. Why should I give a damn about him?" She smirks, hands easy and grip tight as she await Malleus' response. The sweet tone indicates simple convincing; her warning is simply to back up her seriousness on the matter. "Please think over your next actions before you do anything." She follows with a wink, as odd as it is at this time.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-08-02, 01:32 PM
[roll0][roll1]

Drenched in the falling rain, Malleus listens to Sheila's threat, allowing his gaze to linger on his fallen ally as his grip on the warhammer loosens. "Did you not hear me earlier? We would gladly die to keep you alive. If you have to suffer in the process, you have no one but yourself to blame." With that, Malleus lifts his warhammer up for another strike on Nicholas. As he swings down, however, Nicholas spots that his grip on the warhammer remains loose, allowing him to catch the weapon and send it flying with one hand before raising up a foot or two to strike the figure in the gut, denting Malleus' armor and sending him a step or two black. The armor absorbs as second strike as Malleus reaches down for his hammer (AoOs). Looking back at Nicholas, he still looks barely injured in the slightest.

Ridai
2013-08-02, 01:46 PM
"So what happens if we die first?" Nicholas strikes out against Malleus.

AoO [roll0], [roll1]

Ridai
2013-08-02, 01:52 PM
Nicholas keeps attacking as he shields Anarya.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]