PDA

View Full Version : Exorcist Tools

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-22, 10:39 PM
I'm trying to compile a listing of all of the various spells, items, and other minutia that are designed for the specific purpose of dealing with possessing creatures.

So far I've got 5 spells; Imprison possessor and impotent possessor from BoVD, Lifebound and fleshbound from Secrets of Sarlona, as well as exorcism from FC1.

I'm aware of the alternate uses of dispel evil and dismissal for driving out possessing fiends.

There's the rather obvious sacred exorcist PrC.

Can anyone help me out with finding other things?

Greenish
2013-02-22, 10:46 PM
Church Inquisitor (CDiv.) gets some exorcist-y stuff at higher levels, I seem to recall. Eberron has quite a bit of stuff for dealing with possession (on account of quori, mostly), I'll see what I can dig up later.

Gildedragon
2013-02-22, 11:20 PM
The witch slayer prc has the smite spirit sharer and locate possession abilities

Slipperychicken
2013-02-22, 11:26 PM
I'm aware of the alternate uses of dispel evil and dismissal for driving out possessing fiends.

Banishment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/banishment.htm) mentions that the caster may use "object[s] or substance[s] that the target hates, fears, or otherwise opposes" to improve the SR check and save DC, cumulatively. There is no limit to the number of these. With sufficient preparation, this spell can become all but unstoppable.

So I'll list some off the top of my head.

Aligned Water (holy, unholy, anarchic, axiomatic)
Holy/Unholy Symbols of opposed deities (keep one of each diety)
Holy/Unholy texts of opposing deities and philosophies.
Aligned Weapons.
Artifacts and holy items of opposing alignment.
Aligned Creature (celestial/infernal insects?)
Paper cards with insults written in extraplanar languages, and Common. Especially if there are any slurs or offensive stereotypes specific to outsiders. They ought to hate or oppose that.
Blasphemies, perhaps written in languages of opposing planes (celestial for fiends, abyssal/infernal for celestials).
Illustrations of Outsiders being humiliated, killed, or otherwise debased.

Also, you have the Protection from [alignment] spells, which both suppress mental control and ward a creature against attempts to possess it. Obviously, this includes Magic Circle against [alignment] too.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-22, 11:36 PM
The witch slayer prc has the smite spirit sharer and locate possession abilities

Detect possessor is useful but smite spirit sharer isn't worth much on its own. It does combine nicely with fleshbound and lifebound.

In particular I'm looking for things that can affect the possessing creature more than the possessed one.

Let's not forget that undead sometimes have possession-like abilities as well; the ghost's malevolence or being haunt-shifted to an object.

Gildedragon
2013-02-23, 12:09 AM
Exorcist of the Silver Flame PRC: though it is more for the eberron possession rules
Quori Mindhunter PRC