PDA

View Full Version : energy drain armor (defenders of the faith)

Venger
2013-02-22, 11:35 PM
so, this enchantment, from page 23 of defenders of the faith, says that it allows you to drain levels with a touch attack on armor or shield bash with a shield that otherwise works as enervation cast by a 7th level wizard. this seems pretty sweet for a +2 bonus.

does the "touch attack" mean whenever you hit an enemy with a natural attack? does it mean a touch attack once a round? as many times a round as you have iteratives?

I didn't find errata on it anyplace.

LanSlyde
2013-02-23, 12:13 AM
so, this enchantment, from page 23 of defenders of the faith, says that it allows you to drain levels with a touch attack on armor or shield bash with a shield that otherwise works as enervation cast by a 7th level wizard. this seems pretty sweet for a +2 bonus.

does the "touch attack" mean whenever you hit an enemy with a natural attack? does it mean a touch attack once a round? as many times a round as you have iteratives?

I didn't find errata on it anyplace.

Looks to me like you get to bestow 1d4 negative levels per attack. I see nothing limiting you to once per round, so theoretically as soon as you get iterative attacks you can start chain draining your target.

EDIT: I suddenly want to make an unarmed TWF fighter....

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 12:22 AM
Oddly that phrasing, "A touch attack on armor"... makes me think that it applies if someone else uses a touch attack on you (Though not necessarily if YOU use a touch attack). Might even apply to a RANGED touch attack.

Suck Negative Levels spellcasters?

Or just bad writing.

LanSlyde
2013-02-23, 12:48 AM
Oddly that phrasing, "A touch attack on armor"... makes me think that it applies if someone else uses a touch attack on you (Though not necessarily if YOU use a touch attack). Might even apply to a RANGED touch attack.

Suck Negative Levels spellcasters?

Or just bad writing.

Umm, no.

The exact phrasing is:

"A suit of armor or a shield with this
enchantment allows the bearer to drain levels with the
wearer's touch attack (if armor) or with a shield bash (if
shield)."

So, yeah, the wearer of the armor must make a touch attack. It would not apply if someone tried poking you with a touch attack, ranged or otherwise.

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 12:55 AM
Ah, just thrown off by the OP phrasing. Teach me not to look at the book itself and just take what I was given at face value.

LanSlyde
2013-02-23, 12:57 AM
Ah, just thrown off by the OP phrasing. Teach me not to look at the book itself and just take what I was given at face value.

Indeed, OP should be ashamed of himself for not using exact wording. :smalltongue:

Venger
2013-02-23, 01:16 AM
Indeed, OP should be ashamed of himself for not using exact wording. :smalltongue:

I was under the impression it was against forum rules. you guys seem to have sorted out what I meant though; I could have been clearer.

Darrin
2013-02-23, 08:07 AM
My sincerest apologies while I rain on your parade...

As-written, this is one of the most powerful armor/shield enhancements in the game. However, while there was no errata issued for Defenders of the Faith, the Energy Drain property was reprinted in Ghostwalk, and that book *did* get a 3.5 update that included the following errata:

Page 62, Energy Drain Property:
Add “This attack may be used once per day.” after “(if shield).”
Add “Moderate necromancy;” before “Caster Level.”
Change “Market Price: +2 bonus” to “Price +10,000 gp.”

So, by RAW, it's only a 1/day effect.

LanSlyde
2013-02-23, 11:45 AM
My sincerest apologies while I rain on your parade...

As-written, this is one of the most powerful armor/shield enhancements in the game. However, while there was no errata issued for Defenders of the Faith, the Energy Drain property was reprinted in Ghostwalk, and that book *did* get a 3.5 update that included the following errata:

Page 62, Energy Drain Property:
Add “This attack may be used once per day.” after “(if shield).”
Add “Moderate necromancy;” before “Caster Level.”
Change “Market Price: +2 bonus” to “Price +10,000 gp.”

So, by RAW, it's only a 1/day effect.

While darrin is correct, hardly I know even remembers Ghostwalk exists. So feel free to try and sneak DotF version past your DM. I would do the same thing.