PDA

View Full Version : Which system for a Half-Life RPG?

TechnoScrabble
2013-02-23, 01:52 AM
I saw a bunch of Half-Life RP maps on Gmod when I bought it the other day, and so now I'm thinking about running a Half-Life themed RPG where the PCs are humans living under Combine rule in one of the cities like City 8 or City 14, and doing whatever they do from there, whether they choose to join Civil Protection, join the Resistance, get in on the slightly less downtrodden underground entertainment, or just try to go about their lives without causing trouble.

What system do you think I should use for this?

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 01:55 AM
RIFTS jumps to mind. But that's because I've played with it. A lot of the Super Science, weird gadgets, mix of supernatural seeming events, etc, fits into it. If you avoid Mega Damage stuff (outside of dedicated anti-vehicle, vehicle mounted stuff), it can also provide for some fairly hardy characters as fits a game like Half-Life.

TechnoScrabble
2013-02-23, 02:07 AM
I can't decide if I want to go with a hard and gritty 'The wrong decision at any moment probably means death' system, or a 'Hey, you're a PC, that means you're a hero and therefore badass' system. Either way, unless the players take it that way it won't be all combat oriented.

I mean, even badasses can't last long against the entirety of the Combine.

SowZ
2013-02-23, 02:25 AM
I can't decide if I want to go with a hard and gritty 'The wrong decision at any moment probably means death' system, or a 'Hey, you're a PC, that means you're a hero and therefore badass' system. Either way, unless the players take it that way it won't be all combat oriented.

Freeman would like to have a word with you.

http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/wallpaper/fighting_half-life_gordon_freeman_half_life_desktop_1600x1158_wa llpaper-176158.jpeg

Slipperychicken
2013-02-23, 09:25 AM
Freeman would like to have a word with you.

http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/wallpaper/fighting_half-life_gordon_freeman_half_life_desktop_1600x1158_wa llpaper-176158.jpeg

Image doesn't work.

Half-Life is pretty forgiving and humorous at times. Although it also combines that with fighting crazy-horrific monsters, the games give Freeman plenty of hit points to shrug off punishment and attacks will at worst take out ~50% of his health unless they're obvious or avoidable.

You'd probably want to compromise, keeping the PCs' abilities at human level without making everything instant gruesome death. Unless your group loves watching their characters get gored, in which case go for it.

Also, if I've learned anything from D&D abilities like Mage Hand and telekinesis, PCs could wreck havoc with a gravity gun.

Alejandro
2013-02-23, 11:09 AM

Gordon Freeman doing precisely that is basically the plot of Half-Life 2 and onward.

TechnoScrabble
2013-02-23, 11:43 AM
Well, the players aren't quite Doctor Freeman (He earned that title, we'd best use it before we get a crowbar to the noggin), but I'd be okay with them being a bit more awesome than the average human.

And I think I'll have the game take place before Doctor Freeman's return, during the Combine rule.

Arbane
2013-02-24, 01:57 AM
Maybe Feng Shui? It does a good job with FPS-badass level PCs.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-24, 06:41 PM
Fate? The players are pretty competent, but still can be a bit squishy if things go wrong.

vartan
2013-02-25, 01:30 AM
Low PL Mutants and Masterminds? It has rules for telekinesis and gravity effects and is flexible enough to do what you need I think.

GeriSch
2013-02-25, 04:43 AM
I would try it with Savage Worlds, i think this could fit quite good.

gr,
Geri

neonchameleon
2013-02-25, 07:51 AM
I saw a bunch of Half-Life RP maps on Gmod when I bought it the other day, and so now I'm thinking about running a Half-Life themed RPG where the PCs are humans living under Combine rule in one of the cities like City 8 or City 14, and doing whatever they do from there, whether they choose to join Civil Protection, join the Resistance, get in on the slightly less downtrodden underground entertainment, or just try to go about their lives without causing trouble.

What system do you think I should use for this?

For something light and that plays fast and elegantly, FATE? For running the Resistance, Leverage might work? For big and gritty, GURPS? Ask them what they want to do in the universe then pick the system.

Tableleg0
2016-10-01, 06:44 AM
Ok so I recommend ether D&D or ShadowRun, you could also make up your own. If you wanted to introduce a fun aspect into the game you could have a person who (presumably through experiments) has gained the abilitys of a creature form the Xen as well as the ability to summon creatures from the Xen as they level up. This is a great idea, hope it goes well.

JeenLeen
2016-10-01, 10:25 PM
What sort of powers, if any, would the players have?

I'd lean towards a variation of World of Darkness (old or new). The WoD's base rulebook is rules for normal humans, and you could look into Hunter for some of their faction powers. I could see some of that emulate the supertech available in Half-Life 2's time. Though homebrew is probably best.
Combat is lethal, but survivable if you're smart.

Knaight
2016-10-03, 10:50 AM
My go to for modern games which can do action is Nemesis, and that it also handles horror pretty well is just a bonus in this case.

RyumaruMG
2016-10-03, 03:10 PM
I would actually recommend a Shadowrun hack if you're going for the same feeling of high-risk play. Gunfights are discouraged (much like I imagine resistance fighters wouldn't want to get into a fight with the Combine) and the system emphasizes discretion and preparation, perfect for a game centered around guerilla warfare and subterfuge. Admittedly you'd be cutting out a big portion of the system without the magic elements, but if you want, you could go with some form of psychic powers becoming available.

gkathellar
2016-10-03, 03:30 PM
Gordon Freeman doing precisely that is basically the plot of Half-Life 2 and onward.

Emphasis mine. So ... just Half Life 2?

Anonymouswizard
2016-10-03, 03:37 PM
Okay, my recommendations, depending on what you want:
-GURPS: even 100-150CP characters can be extremely competent, and if you allow them access to armour wit decent DR (at least 5, probably a bit more) then PCs can stand up to a few gunshots. Depending on how it's set up it can work for a gritty or a 'realistic' treatment, especially if you give the players HEV-lite armour to act as bonus HP (a small amount of ablative DR, rechargeable at power ports).
-Fate: better if you want the PCs to definitely survive or focus on the narrative. Bare in mind that, unlike GURPS, there's not going to be a big difference between a pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle (maybe a difference in range and Weapon rating [or Red rating if using red and blue dice]).
-Mutants and Masterminds: it'll help if you want to give the combine superpowers, but otherwise there's little advantages that I can see.

oxybe
2016-10-03, 03:38 PM
Image doesn't work.

"Freeman would like to have a word with you"... Freeman doesn't talk, thus the spoiler is empty. It's not an image, just humour.

Grinner
2016-10-03, 03:51 PM
Observation: Freeman isn't actually very strong. However, his suit keeps him alive while everyone around him drops like flies.

JeenLeen
2016-10-03, 04:05 PM
Observation: Freeman isn't actually very strong. However, his suit keeps him alive while everyone around him drops like flies.

I could see a party that has different super-suits. M&M could mirror that, and let you choose different powers (slightly different builds, or Combine tech reverse-engineered for the purpose.)

The idea of using Exalted 2nd edition, but limiting to just Melee, Archery (includes guns), Resistance, and possibly Dodge charms sounds plausible. These represent special durability or attacks you can do due to supertech.
Refluff Occult as exterterrestial knowledge, and the skills fit pretty well. Probably add a faster healing time or a cheap healing power all characters can buy, too.
(3e might work as well, but I've never played it, so I can't comment.)

Slipperychicken
2016-10-04, 01:54 AM
"Freeman would like to have a word with you"... Freeman doesn't talk, thus the spoiler is empty. It's not an image, just humour.

I apologize for not noticing it three and a half years ago when I wrote that post.

Grinner
2016-10-04, 06:57 AM
I apologize for not noticing it three and a half years ago when I wrote that post.

Well, at least you now have some closure. :smalltongue:

oxybe
2016-10-06, 02:25 PM

Wow, i didn't even realize this was a thread controlled by a rather powerful necromancer, lol.

Martin Greywolf
2016-10-07, 03:54 AM
If you can handle some tweaking, I'd go for FATE core, available for free. It's pretty modular, and does actually have a system to make difference between shotguns and pistols. For those interested, I'd ballpark weapons at:

Pistol: 1 offensive shift
AR/SMG: 2 offensive shifts
Shotgun: 2 offensive shifts, 3 against unarmored (or squishy) targets
Combine AR: 3 offensive shifts, alt fire allows you to hit everyone for half the shifts (either once per scene, or track ammo)
Rocket Launcher: 4 offensive shifts, will also hit you if you fire it up close

Then assign defensive shifts as:

Human body armor: 1
Combine part-mech soldiers: 2
Light APC, HEV suit: 3
Tanks: 4

As and added bonus, once you get a hang of the system, creating stuff like Advisor's psychic powers becomes a matter of minutes.