PDA

View Full Version : Eye of Gruumsh and axes

sambouchah
2013-02-23, 02:07 AM
So I was looking at the eye of Gruumsh PrC and at half orc paragon. 25pb, is eye of gruumsh worth it and how would you arrange your scores to wield an orc double axe?

Thanks, Sam

SilverLeaf167
2013-02-23, 04:01 PM
Well, the class itself is probably better than a straight Barbarian, but definitely loses to some other prestige classes you could take instead. It is rather ironic, though actually fitting, that even the pictured orc doesn't have a double axe and none of the class features support it either. Double weapons are lousy in general, especially on a Barbarian who should really just use a two-handed weapon like a greatsword. That whole double axe thing is just a feat tax for a class that isn't even worth it.

As a general note on the ability scores, though, you don't really have much need for anything other than Str and Con. Pump those as high as you can, focusing on Str, and but any leftover points (doubt you'll have any) into Dex.

Cog
2013-02-23, 07:10 PM
The best way to use the Double Axe would be to wield one end of it as a twohanded weapon and use the other end for various passive abilities - Defending, initiative boosts, whatever. A detour through Exotic Weapon Master could net you some fun stuff as well.

Blind-Fight is a prerequisite for part of the Mage Slayer feat line, letting you punch through magical miss chances. Deadly Spittle, from Serpent Kingdoms, turns your spittle attack into an AoE.

As for whether the class is worth it... it's fairly typical for early 3.5 melee; there's some interesting things, but you can probably get them more easily other places. Unlike some classes, though, it won't make you worse at your role.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-02-24, 02:09 AM
The best way to use the Double Axe would be to wield one end of it as a twohanded weapon and use the other end for various passive abilities - Defending, initiative boosts, whatever. A detour through Exotic Weapon Master could net you some fun stuff as well.

Blind-Fight is a prerequisite for part of the Mage Slayer feat line, letting you punch through magical miss chances. Deadly Spittle, from Serpent Kingdoms, turns your spittle attack into an AoE.

As for whether the class is worth it... it's fairly typical for early 3.5 melee; there's some interesting things, but you can probably get them more easily other places. Unlike some classes, though, it won't make you worse at your role.

I really only want it for blinding spittle. I am doing an intimidating barbarian so I don't want to take feats I don't need. Any way to get blinding spittle, or is it a feat from Serpent Kingdoms?

sambouchah
2013-02-24, 02:13 AM
I really only want it for blinding spittle. I am doing an intimidating barbarian so I don't want to take feats I don't need. Any way to get blinding spittle, or is it a feat from Serpent Kingdoms?

My friend had signed in on my PC... He didn't sign out so that was actually me. Anyway yeah
:smalltongue:

Daftendirekt
2013-02-24, 10:25 AM
Deadly Spittle [Monstrous]
Prerequisites: Spit Venom, spit attack, or spittle attack
Benefit: You can spray your spit in a 15-foot cone-shaped burst.

So, you'd need to take the 4th levels of Eye of Gruumsh to get the spittle attack, and then that feat would greatly improve it (15' cone instead of single target? Hell yeah!)

sambouchah
2013-02-24, 10:31 AM
Deadly Spittle [Monstrous]
Prerequisites: Spit Venom, spit attack, or spittle attack
Benefit: You can spray your spit in a 15-foot cone-shaped burst.

So, you'd need to take the 4th levels of Eye of Gruumsh to get the spittle attack, and then that feat would greatly improve it (15' cone instead of single target? Hell yeah!)

So then uses for an orc double axe(that don't require both ends)? So I can meet the prereqs and not have completely wasted a feat

Daftendirekt
2013-02-24, 10:40 AM
Could always ask your DM to handwave that one, or maybe switch the Weapon Focus to a different weapon (Greataxe, maybe?). Being an Orc/Half-Orc with full martial proficiency, orc double-axe would be counted as martial rather than exotic I believe, so that requirement essentially disappears.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-24, 11:29 AM
Could always ask your DM to handwave that one, or maybe switch the Weapon Focus to a different weapon (Greataxe, maybe?). Being an Orc/Half-Orc with full martial proficiency, orc double-axe would be counted as martial rather than exotic I believe, so that requirement essentially disappears.

Sadly, neither orcs nor half-orcs get weapon familiarity with the orc double-axe. It's still an exotic weapon, even for them.

Muktidata
2013-02-24, 04:31 PM
Barbarian 1-2 (2 if Wolf Totem - UA Totem Variant), Half Orc Paragon 3, Orc Paragon 3, Fighter 2-3 (if Zhentarim), and Ranger 2-3 (3 if you want to take Steadfast Determination - PHB2) are all good non-ToB entry level cutoffs. TWF isn't a great attack mode, but it can be fun. Gloves of the Balanced Hand (8k MIC) save you a feat if you go that route. You can certainly have a high strength for being template less:

At ECL8 you could have 30 Strength pre-rage = 18 (base) +2 (level) +2 (race) +2 (orc paragon) +2 (h/o paragon) +4 (enhancement)

38 when you Rage. The Intimidating Prowess feat in Pathfinder would let you use Strength instead of Charisma for Intimidate checks. A composite longbow would make you a decent archer.

TuggyNE
2013-02-24, 06:05 PM
Sadly, neither orcs nor half-orcs get weapon familiarity with the orc double-axe. It's still an exotic weapon, even for them.

Maybe this is why. :smalltongue:

TroubleBrewing
2013-02-24, 09:40 PM
I was going to suggest Cleric of Gruumsh 1 for the War Domain and thereby Weapon Focus with his favored weapon, but unexpectedly, it's a spear.

Even the god of Orcs recognizes the uselessness of a double weapon.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-24, 10:50 PM
Maybe this is why. :smalltongue:

I'm relatively certain that somebody's homebrew feat has no bearing at all on the reason orcs and half-orcs don't count the orc double-axe as a martial weapon.

Although that IS pretty hilarious. :smallamused:

sambouchah
2013-02-24, 11:53 PM
Well, the class itself is probably better than a straight Barbarian, but definitely loses to some other prestige classes you could take instead. It is rather ironic, though actually fitting, that even the pictured orc doesn't have a double axe and none of the class features support it either. Double weapons are lousy in general, especially on a Barbarian who should really just use a two-handed weapon like a greatsword. That whole double axe thing is just a feat tax for a class that isn't even worth it.

As a general note on the ability scores, though, you don't really have much need for anything other than Str and Con. Pump those as high as you can, focusing on Str, and but any leftover points (doubt you'll have any) into Dex.

He may let me but he is fairly strict so I dunno.

And SilverLeaf, any other suggestions for PrC? Keep in mind I am I am doing a Half-Orc who demoralizes an opponent(hints the Half-Orc Paragon for Monstrous Mien).