PDA

View Full Version : Bolstering Healing in 3.5

Qc Storm
2013-02-23, 02:24 AM
One of the new players in my game wants to roll cleric. He was surprised however to see that clerics in D&D aren't like the clerics in the MMOs. Our clerics are big, armored dwarves that will convert you with a morningstar, instead of spamming F1 to heal the tank.

I explained how healing works in D&D, and how it isn't very efficient mid-combat. He understands and agrees to take some melee presence. He still wants to do some good healing though.

So I ask you, giants, what are some good feats related to healing? Or things in general. We're trying to keep the game simple, so multiclassing into 25 incantatrix variants is not suitable.

Also he has 4 intelligence so skill points might be an issue.

Rubik
2013-02-23, 03:04 AM
One of the new players in my game wants to roll cleric. He was surprised however to see that clerics in D&D aren't like the clerics in the MMOs. Our clerics are big, armored dwarves that will convert you with a morningstar, instead of spamming F1 to heal the tank.

I explained how healing works in D&D, and how it isn't very efficient mid-combat. He understands and agrees to take some melee presence. He still wants to do some good healing though.

So I ask you, giants, what are some good feats related to healing? Or things in general. We're trying to keep the game simple, so multiclassing into 25 incantatrix variants is not suitable.

Also he has 4 intelligence so skill points might be an issue.Give him some wands, either of Cure Light Wounds or of Lesser Vigor. He can use them outside of combat to top everyone up. Otherwise, there are a number of ways to get decent healing.

How about a level of crusader, before going into ruby knight vindicator? (Both are in Tome of Battle.) There's a stance and a maneuver that heal allies easily enough, and it's something you can do while whacking things.

Also, this: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871786/A_Players_Guide_to_Healing_%28And,_why_you_will_be _Just_Fine_without_a_Cleric_to_heal%29

SowZ
2013-02-23, 03:13 AM
I houserule that clerics only get their domain spells and healing/restoration spells for every other slot, but healing spells always heal for the maximum amount, (no die rolling.) I also maximize all HD for everything.

tiercel
2013-02-23, 03:13 AM
"My Intelligence is 4! OUTRAGEOUS!" (http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?gl=UG&page=1&hl=en-GB&v=b4qBjQ2YWnw)

Sorry, couldn't resist the reference.

One obvious way to boost healing is to have a bard around with the Healing Hymn alternative class feature from Complete Champion (substantially boosts all healing spells *actually cast from spell slots* and not from items). Barring an actual bard/dip into bard, you could create a custom magic item that has this ability 1/day or something.

Additionally you could look into the healing lorecall spell (Complete Adventurer/Spell Compendium) for a way to get a little more bang out of your healing spells and even ranks in Heal (although if we are really talking about an Int of 4, your cleric is going to have exactly one maxed class skill).

There is the classic Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine, cleric of Pelor only moreso, including powered-up healing from domain slots), though meeting the skill requirements might be challenging.

There are [Divine] feats which feature some healing but none of them is, offhand, going to contribute quite to MMO-style megahealing.

The Touch of Healing reserve feat from Complete Champion will allow your cleric to spam out-of-combat healing up to 1/2 max hit points without spending spells or Turn uses, and gives +1 caster level for healing spells.

Coidzor
2013-02-23, 03:20 AM
He's disappointed that he gets to actually *do* something?

This may be helpful. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2710.0)

zlefin
2013-02-23, 03:31 AM
there's a few feats in complete divine and champion to help healing; imbued healing, touch of healing (very good reserve feat); and i forget the other one.
There's a healer handbook somewhere whcih probably has a full list of useful boosts.
It sounds like he might prefer cloistered cleric to regular cleric.

Coidzor
2013-02-23, 03:33 AM
there's a few feats in complete divine and champion to help healing; imbued healing, touch of healing (very good reserve feat); and i forget the other one.
There's a healer handbook somewhere whcih probably has a full list of useful boosts.
It sounds like he might prefer cloistered cleric to regular cleric.

This healer handbook? (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8757.0)

Cleric Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238.0) likely has some further references as well.

tyckspoon
2013-02-23, 03:37 AM

Sacred Healing, PHBII version: +2 healing/die on healing spells you cast in the turn you activate it. Pretty good with the standard Cure X Wounds spells, excellent with a bit of searching to find spells that use more dice.

Sacred Healing, Comp. Divine version: Gives Fast Healing in an area for 1+Cha Mod rounds. Good for post-battle patchup if your DM doesn't like the whole just-use-a-wand thing.

Magic of the Land, Races of the Wild: Heal an additional 2 points/spell level. Significant skill point requirement, probably unsuitable for an Int 4 character.

Augment Healing, Comp. Divine: Basically the same thing as Magic of the Land, but with much lighter requirements.

Imbued Healing, Comp. Champion: Adds a buff effect to your healing spells based on the domain(s) you have.

Mastery of Day and Night, Player's Guide to Eberron: Spontaneously apply Maximize to your Cures and Inflicts, no level or cast time adjustment.

There are likely a few more, but if you mix-and-match a few of those (PHBII Sacred Healing is especially good with Empower metamagic) you can drop much more relevant healing.

Thespianus
2013-02-23, 03:58 AM
Or, if you're the DM, allow him a feat to be able to perform the Cleric spontaneous conversion of a memorized spell to a Cure X spell and cast it as a Move Action instad of a Standard Action to cast the converted spell.

That way, he can still have his Standard Action to do something else in combat.

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 04:38 AM
Or if you want to be really nice... the reason I find healing mid battle isn't effective is because all of the healing spells are Touch range (As opposed to your MMO player's experience where he can usually heal at something like 30 yards away). Give him an option of some sort to extend his Touch Range Healing Spells to 30 feet. Magic item? Homebrewed feat? This isn't such a "broken" ability. I seem to recall the Archmage PrC had something similar for arcane touch spells being able to get range like that. When you don't have to waste your entire turn to heal someone (Run over, drop your weapon, use your standard to cast... then next turn be down yet again with a standard to pick up your weapon again, move to get back where you needed to be), on top of worrying about excess AoO crossing to whoever needs topping off... might be more viable.

I haven't run that myself. But I've pondered using that before as an idea.

TuggyNE
2013-02-23, 07:05 AM
I houserule that clerics only get their domain spells and healing/restoration spells for every other slot, but healing spells always heal for the maximum amount, (no die rolling.) I also maximize all HD for everything.

Wait, what? I'm confused by which spells you make available to clerics in which slots.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-23, 01:45 PM
How optimized is your group?

I know in our mid op group, Combat medic(Heroes of battle pg 99) on the Cast from your domain ACF cleric worked for our player who wanted what you describe.

He played a buffer type cleric he had a lot of fun. And was very relevant to the group.. Are barbarian loved him, it was a funny dynamic cuz they where morally opposed and would argue a lot.

SowZ
2013-02-23, 02:27 PM
Wait, what? I'm confused by which spells you make available to clerics in which slots.

They still get their domain spells like normal, but their other spell slots can only be filled by healing spells. Though I let them be spontaneous casters, because it isn't worth the time preparing spell slots when you only have two or so spells of each spell level you can use.

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 02:32 PM
That seems... horrible. Do you give them extra domains or something? I mean you're missing out on so many good, useful spells that are hardly game breaking either like that. Bless/Bane. Holy Water creation, Augury, Speak with Dead, etc. Just those utility spells that don't necessarily make the Cleric a better melee than a Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin/etc. But just make life a little easier for the party as a whole.

Then again I'm also talking as a player who has run a lot of Clerics. And have been in very domineering groups where due to balance concerns and my ability to otherwise outshine people, I HAVE been limited to that style where all I was allowed to do (Without people throwing a fit), was heal.

... it's the reason I don't play clerics anymore unless someone forces me to.

SowZ
2013-02-23, 03:36 PM
That seems... horrible. Do you give them extra domains or something? I mean you're missing out on so many good, useful spells that are hardly game breaking either like that. Bless/Bane. Holy Water creation, Augury, Speak with Dead, etc. Just those utility spells that don't necessarily make the Cleric a better melee than a Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin/etc. But just make life a little easier for the party as a whole.

Then again I'm also talking as a player who has run a lot of Clerics. And have been in very domineering groups where due to balance concerns and my ability to otherwise outshine people, I HAVE been limited to that style where all I was allowed to do (Without people throwing a fit), was heal.

... it's the reason I don't play clerics anymore unless someone forces me to.

Spells like speak with dead and stuff aren't impossible, but require a ritual and usually something else needs to be done that I decide based on circumstance. I don't like magic being so easy. Yes, it is a big nerf to clerics. But it makes healing worthwhile, sometimes. And even with just healing spells and domain slots, they are fairly powerful.

Qc Storm
2013-02-23, 03:48 PM
I told him about Crusader dip, Sacred Healing and Combat Medic. He finds them acceptable.

Requirements for Combat Medic might be hard though, due to 4 int.

Tulya
2013-02-23, 04:43 PM
Copy-paste of some notes I've been collecting on healing

Healing Lorecall (Spell 2nd) - add condition removal based on Heal skill to conjuration (healing)
Augment Healing (feat) - +2/spell level cure HP to conjuration (healing)
Imbued Healing (feat) - varied effects to conjuration (healing) chosen from domains you have. Examples -
Healing Domain: +HD in temp HP for 1 hour
Good: DR 3/evil for 1 minute/spell level
Initiate of Tamara (feat) - Dragonblooded follower of Tamara gains extra spells, and cure spells add spell level to healing.
Invigorating spellcaster (feat) - Spell that cures HP damage removes dazed, exhausted, fatigued, sickened, and stunned.
Sacred Healing (feat) - Spend Turn attempt as swift action for +5 to Heal checks and +2/die of healing to conjuration (healing) for 1 round.
Cloudy Conjuration (feat) - prereq Spell Focus (conjuration) - Add 5' radius cloud of sickening smoke in your space, target's space, or adjacent to either. Lasts 1 round. Sickens as a poison effect.
Mastery of Day and Night (feat) - Prereq Maximize Spell, Know planes 2, Spellcraft 6 - Maximize cure and inflict spells spontaneously without increasing spell level.
Magic of the Land (feat) - Prereq Concentration 5, Know (nature) 5, spellcraft 5 - In natural settings, add effect to spells that target creatures on a successful Know (nature) check made as a free action while casting the spell. Can't take 10 on check. Success = +2 hp healed per spell level. No effect on alignment-linked spells and necromancy.

Combat Medic Healing Kicker Class Feature:
Add one of following effects to conjuration(healing).
1st level - Sanctuary for 1 round, DC 15+class level+Wis mod.
3rd level - Class level as competence bonus to Reflex saves for 1 round.
5th level - Aid effect for 1 minute, substitute 13 for temporary HP gained.

There are other prestige class options, but these are the majority of what I've found in terms of feats and spells. Most of the items that boost healing are fairly terrible and merely increase caster level.

Edit: Gah, somehow missed the post containing most of these :)

TuggyNE
2013-02-23, 09:44 PM
They still get their domain spells like normal, but their other spell slots can only be filled by healing spells. Though I let them be spontaneous casters, because it isn't worth the time preparing spell slots when you only have two or so spells of each spell level you can use.

So, you turn them into Healers, except with domains instead of class features, and a small spontaneous boost? :smalleek:

Coidzor
2013-02-23, 09:51 PM
I told him about Crusader dip, Sacred Healing and Combat Medic. He finds them acceptable.

Requirements for Combat Medic might be hard though, due to 4 int.

Yeah... I'd recommend considering long and hard about Point Buy in the future.

Qc Storm
2013-02-23, 10:45 PM
Yeah... I'd recommend considering long and hard about Point Buy in the future.

The player found this hilarious and is eager to suffer the consequences of this dump.

This handicap is explained by a lack of oxygen during rebirth (he is dragonborn).

Invader
2013-02-23, 10:56 PM
Or if you want to be really nice... the reason I find healing mid battle isn't effective is because all of the healing spells are Touch range (As opposed to your MMO player's experience where he can usually heal at something like 30 yards away). Give him an option of some sort to extend his Touch Range Healing Spells to 30 feet. Magic item? Homebrewed feat? This isn't such a "broken" ability. I seem to recall the Archmage PrC had something similar for arcane touch spells being able to get range like that. When you don't have to waste your entire turn to heal someone (Run over, drop your weapon, use your standard to cast... then next turn be down yet again with a standard to pick up your weapon again, move to get back where you needed to be), on top of worrying about excess AoO crossing to whoever needs topping off... might be more viable.

I haven't run that myself. But I've pondered using that before as an idea.

It's the reach spell meta magic feat you're thinking of, it does exactly what you suggested and acts as a spell 2 levels higher.

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 11:00 PM
I figured there was something. Just the Archmage High Magic ability was the only one that leaped to mind. Though applying it as a universal "Fix" rather than a meta-magic feat would have a quite different effect. Having your level 1 Cleric able to cast Cure Light Wounds at range would make it more combat viable.

SowZ
2013-02-24, 03:37 AM
So, you turn them into Healers, except with domains instead of class features, and a small spontaneous boost? :smalleek:

Yeah. Run down of the changes: Turn Undead=unchanged. Domain Slots=unchanged. Spell slots=only useable on healing spells. Healing spells=maximized.

It makes domain spells a lot more important. They are still more powerful than most classes, but they don't dominate and they are no longer better at melee than the melee classes.

Zack Reever
2013-02-24, 05:17 PM
Heirophant has the same ability as the Archmage and can be taken twice just like the arcane reach.

Tulya
2013-02-24, 05:26 PM
Divine Ward (Divine feat, Player's Handbook 2) is a reasonably fair outlet for Nightstick charges. Divine Ward allows you to designate a single creature per day, plus one extra creature per Turn Undead use expended, to be eligible to receive touch spells cast by you at Close range instead. Each time you cast a spell this way, you expend a further use of Turn Undead.

Rubik
2013-02-24, 05:30 PM
Heirophant has the same ability as the Archmage and can be taken twice just like the arcane reach.But it also kills your spellcasting.

Of course, since the person in question wants to have healing as his primary schtick, he obviously doesn't care about being powerful or overly useful, so...

SowZ
2013-02-24, 05:52 PM
But it also kills your spellcasting.

Of course, since the person in question wants to have healing as his primary schtick, he obviously doesn't care about being powerful or overly useful, so...

That isn't necessarily true. The person just may not know that healing isn't powerful/very useful in 3.5.

Lorsa
2013-02-24, 06:08 PM
How on earth can you roleplay someone with 4 Int properly? And how can such a person be useful for a group, I mean how can he be smart enough to use the right spells at the right time? He probably couldn't. Even Elan must have more than 4 Int.

Well, that's beside the point of this thread I believe. Clerics are a very martial class though, and still they are the best healers. The way healing works in D&D has nothing to do with clerics though so there isn't anything you can with the class to change that. My recommendation though is the Sacred Healing feat in Complete Divine. You won't meet undead every day and that means you have something more to do with turn undead.

Rubik
2013-02-24, 07:10 PM
How on earth can you roleplay someone with 4 Int properly?You can love him and pet him and squeeze him and hug him and name him George.