PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Archivist and summoning questions.

jeice
2013-02-23, 06:52 AM
So I've decided on building an Archivist for an upcoming game next week and after thinking about my focus in the group I've decided on summoning. I know that SNA is considered by far the best at low levels and can be cheesed immensely but I don't want to go that route. We had a Druid in the last game and it just got a bit silly after awhile. So my plan, and some of this is pure flavor, is to start out as an undead summoner until it loses steam and then switch over to summon monster via malconvoker and/or thaumaturgist.

Due to my backstory and such my build will be Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist x/ then some combination of thaum/malconvoker. I know that I could theoretically go Sacred Exorcist for turning but if I'm summoning undead I can't really be a good aligned character. I plan on going LN and worshipping Velsharoon(FRCS) to pick up undeath and magic domains for the free extra turning and ability to use wizard wands for backup crowd control, etc.. I am thinking of going DMM twin spell so at mid levels I can drop multiple summons. Possibly residual metamagic to do it again, or use the next action to buff the party.

Feat wise I'm thinking of grabbing corpsecrafter right away as it's essentially augment summoning for undead without the spell focus conjuration. When I get to the point where I switch up to summon monster then I can retrain that to spell focus:conjuration and grab augment summoning, or get it with thaumaturgist.

Anyone have any suggestions overall? Again I know that SNA is superior, but for flavor and DM sanity I want to do the undead summoning. Retraining isn't an issue so swapping to a different summon type shouldn't be that hard. I want at least Archivist 8 to get my "foe" dark knowledge to add to my summons damage. I could also just skip the entire "summon undead" angle and stick only to summon monster in which I'd get rapid spell and metamagic school focus a bit earlier. It's just that there's something cool to me about summoning a pair of troll skeletons.

Any input? Am I on the right track for an Archivist summoner? Better to stick to summon monster to save myself the headache later? Etc..

Soren Hero
2013-02-23, 12:57 PM
have you read the guide to the malconvoker (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker)? it lays out very good points on SM vs SNA, and SM synergizes really well with its abilities, so there is a little bias. archivists are very good choices for malconvoker entry, because even though the malconvoker's special abilities don't extend to SNA, the extra summoning focused feats/items will. so, you get more summons, which is always a good thing.