PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #G001 - The Discussion Thread

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-23, 08:54 AM
I still haven't received my print copy of issue #1 of Gygax Magazine, but there is now a PDF available at DriveThruRPG.com, and it's free for those getting the print copy. So I finally got to read OOTS #G001.

Seems like a good introduction to OOTS for those who haven't read it before, plus the witty playfulness with the fourth wall and the D&D references to which we've grown accustomed.

rgrekejin
2013-02-23, 11:20 AM
I too have not receive my print copy yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a fairly significant portion of Gygax magazine's readership are probably getting it more for the OOTS than anything else.

Clericzilla
2013-02-24, 02:16 PM
I too have not receive my print copy yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a fairly significant portion of Gygax magazine's readership are probably getting it more for the OOTS than anything else.

Kinda sad but probably true. This magazine has some pretty interesting stuff and some neat articles.

Thrawn4
2013-02-24, 05:58 PM
Doesn't say free when I go there :smallfrown:

rgrekejin
2013-02-24, 07:05 PM
Doesn't say free when I go there :smallfrown:

Did you buy a print copy? It's only free if you've already ordered a print copy.

doctor23
2013-02-24, 08:15 PM
Does it seem to be the same continuity? IE are they on the Western Continent searching for Girard's gate? Or does it seem to be in continuity with the Dragon strips? or is it a whole new line?

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-24, 09:03 PM
Does it seem to be the same continuity? IE are they on the Western Continent searching for Girard's gate? Or does it seem to be in continuity with the Dragon strips? or is it a whole new line?

:roy: This is a fresh start in a new magazine!

I.e., "a whole new line".

SavageWombat
2013-02-24, 09:20 PM
Why does Haley's armor cover her midriff? This is no place for realism.

Unisus
2013-02-25, 05:38 AM
I know this one should be about the oots comic in GM1 (hey, is this intentional? I mean - Gygax Magazine...), but while reading, i also read the other comics, and somehow the three adventurers in the first panel of Marvin page two seem very familiar to me ;)

Magesmiley
2013-02-26, 09:34 PM
Well, I got my copy of Gygax magazine #1 today and I was pleasantly surprised to see the Order on the back page. Good to see new strips of the order in print once again, even if it is only quarterly.

I nearly lost it on Belkar's line about who was doing it backwards. :)

Kudos on another fine strip Rich!

deworde
2013-02-27, 06:58 AM
Dammit, I want the strips, but it *only* sells print (as far as I can tell from the site), and the international shipping cost is as much as the magazine. So, y'know, perhaps no?

Or have I missed something on the site?

Edit: Well it's not on the site, but for anyone else looking:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/111516/Gygax-magazine-issue-%231

Wanda V'Orcus
2013-02-27, 08:49 AM
The only thing that bothered me about this strip was -- of all things! -- the non-use of Comic Sans in the characters' word balloons.

It just didn't seem...right, somehow. :smallconfused:

Cheers, JohnH aka Wanda

Joerg
2013-02-27, 01:40 PM
:roy: This is a fresh start in a new magazine!

I.e., "a whole new line".

To me, it seems to be in the same continuity as ss&dt. They talk about

the underdark and having bought many potions (I assume for the fight against their 4e counterparts)

SaintRidley
2013-02-27, 02:12 PM
If I remember right, Rich has said that these strips will follow on after the strips in SSDT.

Grey Watcher
2013-03-02, 10:53 AM
The only thing that bothered me about this strip was -- of all things! -- the non-use of Comic Sans in the characters' word balloons.

It just didn't seem...right, somehow. :smallconfused:

Cheers, JohnH aka Wanda

I found this a bit jarring myself. Plus, at least in PDF form, the new font is a tiny bit less legible.

Also, I firmly share Roy's annoyance with being reduced to exterminators. Although I thought that was more of a video game cliche than a tabletop one?

Dilvish
2013-04-13, 08:49 PM

I don't think so. I bought the first issue with no knowledge at all of what the magazine's contents would be. I knew the Gygax family and other rpg old-timers were involved. I started with D&D over 30 years ago, so it was partly nostalgia for me. Issue #1 is a good read in my opinion.

Jay R
2013-04-14, 08:59 AM
I too have not receive my print copy yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a fairly significant portion of Gygax magazine's readership are probably getting it more for the OOTS than anything else.Kinda sad but probably true. This magazine has some pretty interesting stuff and some neat articles.

Why is that sad? I remember buying The Dragon primarily for Finieous, but I also read the articles.

The Giant
2013-04-14, 10:34 AM
I found this a bit jarring myself. Plus, at least in PDF form, the new font is a tiny bit less legible.

It's an experiment that I'm still working out. In the second issue's strip, I made the font slightly larger and I think it looks better.

EDIT: Also, I think this officially makes me the first person in the history of the internet to get criticism for NOT using Comic Sans.

Grey Watcher
2013-04-14, 04:19 PM
It's an experiment that I'm still working out. In the second issue's strip, I made the font slightly larger and I think it looks better.

EDIT: Also, I think this officially makes me the first person in the history of the internet to get criticism for NOT using Comic Sans.

Well, I've been reading OOTS in Comic Sans for 9 years now, so I've gotten used to it. I probably would barely have noticed if the Gygax Magazine comics were a new story in a different art style.

RabidEel
2013-04-14, 06:17 PM
Will the strips ever be compiled for the rest of us, like the Dragon strips were?

Sunken Valley
2013-04-15, 10:25 AM
Will the strips ever be compiled for the rest of us, like the Dragon strips were?

Burlew said somewhere it would take some time to do that as its only going to be quarterly so it will be years before he has enough.

Also, do you think Rich will officially announce this on his news page?

stsasser
2013-04-15, 11:26 AM

This is your 'Jar Jar, you're a genius!' moment?

Congratulations! :smallsmile: