PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for Today's Session...and Further Tactics?

Palanan
2013-02-23, 09:25 AM
This is a DM-only thread, my players go away, yadda yadda.

Okay--I have a question about a creature in the MM5, in particular about one of its special attacks. Said creature (the vinespawn, p. 198) can send out little vines or whatnot to entangle targets from a distance.

I've read the DMG entry on entangling, and while this sounds fine in itself, there's nothing about how to disentangle yourself. If this is in the SRD, I'm not seeing it.

Help? Where are the rules for disentangling?

RolandDeschain
2013-02-23, 09:47 AM
If as spell "entangle", full round action to break free DC 20 strength check or DC 20 escape artist check to move half-speed. I think...

Palanan
2013-02-23, 09:53 AM
Aha. I'll check that, thanks.

It seems strange there would be information on how to apply the condition, but not on how characters can try to remove it.

Unless, once again, I'm missing some grand mystery of 3.5?

rot42
2013-02-23, 09:55 AM
RolandDeschain is correct about the spell, though I think in this case the creature would be able to move normally - the half speed parts seems to be from the active spell effect. Escape Artist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/escapeArtist.htm) gives it more generically for the skill.

mattie_p
2013-02-23, 10:12 AM
OK, I'm looking at the entry. A couple of points stand out:

Each of these tightly wound balls of vine opens in flight to form a net that can entangle a creature up to one size category larger than the vinespawn.

Net (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#net) is an exotic weapon in the SRD:

A net is used to entangle enemies. When you throw a net, you make a ranged touch attack against your target. A net’s maximum range is 10 feet. If you hit, the target is entangled. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty on Dexterity, can move at only half speed, and cannot charge or run. If you control the trailing rope by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the entangled creature can move only within the limits that the rope allows. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell.

An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The net has 5 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action).

You already read entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled), but for completeness:

Entangled
The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.

I'd say since it references a net, use the net in the SRD/PHB rules to escape.

RolandDeschain
2013-02-23, 10:17 AM
mattie_p got it, I would roll with those stats/rules

Palanan
2013-02-23, 10:45 AM
Thanks, mattie_p, that looks perfect. Never having used a net in 3.5, that little reference went right by me. Much appreciated.

As long as we're here, any thoughts on tactics? The party is heavy on martial types, light on spellcasters, and we have a charging barbarian/warblade who I'm thinking will be the vinespawn's primary target and love interest.

Hit the barbarian with a vine net on the first round, engulf in the next, and then do the facehugging routine? While using two other vine nets to hold off the others?

mattie_p
2013-02-23, 12:57 PM
Well, the next page has suggested tactics, are those not enough? Int of 5, it will not exactly have the most optimum tactics if you are playing it by the book.