PDA

View Full Version : Druid Companion suggestions

BlackRabbit
2013-02-23, 11:26 AM
So I'm trying to decide on a buddy for my druid. I know they're not intended to have the utility of a familiar, but I'd like something with more uses than just attacking. My friends keep suggesting fleshraker, and it does seem powerful, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe because I'm a lizardman and a dinosaur pal seems too....I dunno expected. Anyone have an idea of an underrated pet I could look at? Terror birds seem fun. :smallfrown:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-23, 11:32 AM
Dire Eagle from Races of Stone are a 'level -3' companion, and a medium creature can use it as a mount.

Fleshraker actually has some of the best utility of anything available, due to its trip + grapple pounce, poison, speed, and tracking ability. All of that is on the most combat capable animal you could pick, definitely the best choice.

Consider something like Druid 8/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Arcane Heirophant 10 if you want it to be more like a familiar. You'll need racial weapon proficiencies to qualify for SA in that.

RolandDeschain
2013-02-23, 11:36 AM
Use the alternative class feature from Complete Mage and get an earth elemental. The elemental companion grows as your character does and an earth elemental makes dungeon crawls your b*tch.

BlackRabbit
2013-02-23, 11:46 AM
I should also mention that apparently we're going to be doing a lot of extraplanar stuff. Not sure if that matters. The elemental is an interesting idea.

RolandDeschain
2013-02-23, 11:51 AM
Elemental Companion. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a)

Invader
2013-02-23, 11:52 AM
Don't go with the flesh raked. It's the default cheese best animal companion you can take and I'd bet 80% of the time it makes no sense in the setting the druid is playing in.

BlackRabbit
2013-02-23, 12:06 PM
Don't go with the flesh raked. It's the default cheese best animal companion you can take and I'd bet 80% of the time it makes no sense in the setting the druid is playing in.

Yeah, that was my concern. Don't get me wrong, they're trying to suggest a good one.

saxavarius
2013-02-23, 02:23 PM
If the fleshraker fits in the campaign world you can have that be your damage dealer and your actual character can focus on buffing and having a few SoD spells in case s*** happens. Just ask the DM if dinosaurs exist in the campaign world.

Invader
2013-02-23, 02:45 PM
If the fleshraker fits in the campaign world you can have that be your damage dealer and your actual character can focus on buffing and having a few SoD spells in case s*** happens. Just ask the DM if dinosaurs exist in the campaign world.

The problem is the world's a big place and unless your setting is localized to an area that has dinosaurs is just a cheese choice because it's the best.

Invader
2013-02-23, 02:48 PM
What level is the druid, aliment, etc.? You can always go the elemental or vermin route and wave the usual feat tax or ACF rules if it fits the druids concept.

Greenish
2013-02-23, 03:01 PM
Dire Bat is a large flyer with 40' Blindsense.

If you really want a curve ball, you could try baboon. Not particularly impressive as a combatant, but a decent climb speed and opposable thumbs might come in handy.

BlackRabbit
2013-02-23, 03:20 PM
Level 8 neutral good (though I'm pondering some ideas on taking him down a darker path, so that might be fun). I'm focusing on summoning and CC to complement the group.

Maybe add the woodling or some other template to a meh animal?

Urpriest
2013-02-23, 03:21 PM
The problem is the world's a big place and unless your setting is localized to an area that has dinosaurs is just a cheese choice because it's the best.

He's a lizardfolk, though, so chances are he's already from that part of the campaign setting.

Invader
2013-02-23, 04:01 PM
I'm pondering giving the druid in my campaign a medium monstrous spider. He's small so he can ride it, has a climb speed, decent grapple capabilities, web, poison and tons of role play opportunities.

Bortasz
2013-02-23, 04:07 PM
Once I was playing Druid Dwarf riding Wolverine War Beast who was my companion... War Beast template give wolverine extra HD so wolverine grow to medium.... it was fun.

For lizard, dinosaur is appropriate.

BlackRabbit
2013-02-23, 04:07 PM
I'm pondering giving the druid in my campaign a medium monstrous spider. He's small so he can ride it, has a climb speed, decent grapple capabilities, web, poison and tons of role play opportunities.
That is a pretty good idea. Spiders are fun. I have a drow in my party so it would freak him out if I did it-better not. :smallwink:

Invader
2013-02-23, 04:13 PM
That is a pretty good idea. Spiders are fun. I have a drow in my party so it would freak him out if I did it-better not. :smallwink:

Alternatively you could go with the monstrous scorpion to keep your drow happy. Not as much utility but you get an extra 2 attacks and still get to look awesome riding a big scorpion into battle lol.

ArcturusV
2013-02-23, 04:15 PM
My favorite animal companion myself with an ordinary housecat kitten. Of course since you're going to the realms of Outsiders and/or Elementals what I liked about the Kitten Animal Companion may not apply. Which was the inherent cuteness factor that made humans, elves, etc, all go "Awww..." and play with the kitten as a distraction while I crept up to them and bashed their brains out.

Greenish
2013-02-23, 04:22 PM
My favorite animal companion myself with an ordinary housecat kitten. Of course since you're going to the realms of Outsiders and/or Elementals what I liked about the Kitten Animal Companion may not apply. Which was the inherent cuteness factor that made humans, elves, etc, all go "Awww..." and play with the kitten as a distraction while I crept up to them and bashed their brains out.Of course there's no reason to make the kitten your animal companion, when you could just handle animal it.

Remember to add the warbeast template so it can deal with overly affectionate commoners.

BlackRabbit
2013-02-23, 05:20 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding the Woodling template to an animal. Does this seem workable and/or fair?

Ellrin
2013-02-23, 05:46 PM
Alternate class feature: Urban Companion (from the Cityscape web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)).

The character gains the companionship of a smaller but far more intelligent creature than she otherwise would have. This is identical to the sorcerer's ability to summon a familiar (PH 52), including all benefits granted and gained by the familiar, except as noted below. Her functional level for determining the abilities of the companion is equal to her druid level or one-half her ranger level.

She does not lose experience points if her urban companion is slain, and she requires only 24 hours to replace one who is lost.
Her urban companion has total hit points equal to 3/4 her own hit points, rather than half as per a familiar.
The urban companion gains the ability to speak with other animals of its kind when she has an effective master level of 1st, rather than 7th.
When she reaches an effective master level of 7th, she can speak with animals of her companion's kind, as per speak with animals. This is a supernatural ability that functions constantly, and it requires only a free action to reactivate if somehow dispelled.

That's probably the best ACF the druid gets. Replace the animal companion with a tougher, better familiar without the exp costs and 24 hour replacement?

Sink some skill points into UMD and watch the world blow up around you.

Greenish
2013-02-23, 05:55 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding the Woodling template to an animal. Does this seem workable and/or fair?I'm not sure you can normally have templated animal companion. There are some specific exceptions, but in general…

RolandDeschain
2013-02-23, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure you can normally have templated animal companion. There are some specific exceptions, but in general…

I would have to agree with this, BUT talk to your DM and see if he'll let you "buy off" a Woodling templated animal companion with the Natural Bond feat from Complete Adventurer. I know it isn't supposed to work that way, and it may not be worth giving up a feat for but it never hurts to ask. That template is pretty stout by the way: +7 NA, spell-like abilities, damage reduction; +3 LA.

BlackRabbit
2013-02-24, 09:25 PM
Dire Bat is a large flyer with 40' Blindsense.

If you really want a curve ball, you could try baboon. Not particularly impressive as a combatant, but a decent climb speed and opposable thumbs might come in handy.

Out of curiosity, why a baboon and not an ape?