PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Danger! [3.P/PF]

PlusSixPelican
2013-02-23, 01:29 PM
A party member is building a Ranger (Two-Weapon Fighting), and they're looking into ways to increase their threat range on crits/up the automatic hitting. Besides weapons in the 18-20/x2 family, what can they do to up their threat range at starting level five? Thanks in advance for reading. ^u^

Arutema
2013-02-23, 01:48 PM
They'd better bring loaded dice then, because a critical threat is not an automatic hit unless it's a natural 20.

Xerxus
2013-02-23, 01:54 PM
Make the weapons keen. But to pull off a proper critical it seems like human fighters are given the love, with the critical versatility feat.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-23, 02:27 PM
It depends on the game, but Rangers don't make the best TWF. They don't do badly as archers, especially with the right favoured enemies, but there is no TWF equivalent to Clustered Shots, though there is a Power Attack analogue. This means when DR starts coming into play, their however many attacks will become . . .not much. Agile (Dex to damage) helps a lot, as does not having to qualify for certain feats, but . . . I honestly have yet to see it really work.

Joshinthemosh
2013-02-24, 01:06 PM
Okay I really hope you're serious about the whole 3.P thing.

Be an Elf. Yeah I know

Ranger 4/Fighter 1/Revernant Blade 5(Player's Guide to Eberron)/Skyseeker 10.(take the........adopted trait yeah that's the one)

You can Power Attack for with both ends as two handed weapons. You can make them both Agile for Dex to damage. Skyseeker allows you to use heavy armors that add to touch AC without messing with your TWF.

But the crit part,

Base Critical for the Valenar Double Scimitar is 18-20/x2. Improved Crit gets that 15-20/x2. Without some houseruling about what can stack.

This build gets you the skills, the feats and the ability to use high crit two weapon fighting about as well as possible with a much better AC than usual.