PDA

View Full Version : Running is Living

gallagher
2013-02-23, 10:13 PM
I am building a character who's big schtick is running at one guy, hitting him, and running to the next even if he doesnt kill the guy. Here is what I am working with so far.

Spirit Lion Totem, Horse Totem Barbarian 2 (for Pounce and Run)/ Cobra Strike Monk 6 (+20 Footspeed, Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack)

Thinking of going with a half orc for this, but the race is undecided as of now.

I am taking Elusive Target, whirlwind attack and Bounding Assualt.

What prestige classes should I look at to make my character as mobile as possible?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-23, 10:14 PM
*Blinks*

How do you not have skirmish damage in this build?

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-23, 10:27 PM
Fleet Runner of Ehlonna from Dragon Magazine Compendium has some cool speed-related abilities. Dervish from Complete Warrior has a run-damage-run attack mechanic, good but complicated. Finally, I seem to remember that Nentyar Hunter has some cool things to augment movement, not to mention a handful of spell in a 5-level PrC is pretty good...but I think most of it was geared toward forest-type stuff, trackless step and such.

I would agree that skirmish might really help with the damage dealing,

gallagher
2013-02-23, 10:31 PM
*Blinks*

How do you not have skirmish damage in this build?

Because the only reason I am taking levels in something not full BAB is because cobra strike monk gives me necessary feats and bonuses to dodge. Though I may just put it at monk 2. This guy isnt aimed at being a skilled character that scout brings.

EDIT in that case, might as well take fighter 2 instead and keep my armor, and aim for dervish maybe.

Metahuman1
2013-02-24, 12:08 AM
Centaur with Spirited Charge, Ride By attack, a Lance with the Heavy Property from Arms and Equipment guide, Exotic weapons Proficiency, weapons Focus, A dip into totemist, the Dragon Born Template, PA and Kobolt Power Attack, and the rest of the levels into Crusader, Then Deviate 1 level into Exotic Weapons Master, then finish more Crusader.

Use a planer Touchstone to get Turn Undead, and buy a few night sticks and pick up the travel devotion feat. Also get a custom Magic Item that gives you one extra swift action on the first round of combat and another every 10 rounds afterwords.

Equivalent Mounted Charges, Pounce (Spinex Claws to the totem Chakura), Ex Flight and Feather Fall always active, Perfect Flight Maneuverability (bind Pegasuses Sandles.) Suped Up PA (Kobolt Power attack is 3-1 trade for damage.), suped up STR damage (Your hitting with x2 STR mod to damage thanks to Exotic Weapons Master.) and then you get to use equivalent HUGH lance damage, And Bonus Damage on the first attack you make form Charging Maneuvers from Devoted Spirit and White Raven, and Triple all of that on EVERY attack, and Still Full attack!

Centaur LA 2/ Totemist 1/ Crusader X/ Exotic Weapons Master 1/ Crusader X what ever is left over.

Feats (Assuming 2 flaws.) Exotic Weapons Proficiency: Heavy Lance, Power Attack, Weapons Focus: Heavy Lance, Kobolt Power attack, Ride by Attack, Spirited Charge and then You can Add Leap Attack, Shock Trooper and Desert Wind dodge to taste. May also need Fly by attack depending on DM.

gallagher
2013-02-24, 03:11 AM
I dont like a centaur soaking up the +2 LA and all the RHD, thanks

Mithril Leaf
2013-02-24, 03:17 AM
I dont like a centaur soaking up the +2 LA and all the RHD, thanks

Bariurs (I think that's how you spell it) are outsiders that are medium quadrupeds with only +1 LA if that's any help.

Rubik
2013-02-24, 03:32 AM
Bariurs (I think that's how you spell it) are outsiders that are medium quadrupeds with only +1 LA if that's any help.Unfortunately, bauriars don't have the stipulation that they can use mounted feats and whatnot as if they were mounted. Any bauriar that wants to use such tactics will need to ride a Large or larger mount.

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-24, 04:05 AM
Desert Wind Swordsage is the closest to what you want, but if you don't use ToB, then I'd go scout/dervish.

The Viscount
2013-02-24, 06:27 PM
If you don't mind going back into barbarian, the streetfighter ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) could be useful. If only the level 19 ability were earlier.

Postmodernist
2013-02-24, 06:35 PM
Why does Paimon feel like it should be in this build?

gallagher
2013-02-24, 09:33 PM
If you don't mind going back into barbarian, the streetfighter ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) could be useful. If only the level 19 ability were earlier.

19 levels of barb could be worth it if there were a lot of ways for me to add to my speed. What items and feats (other than travel devotion) add to my footspeed?

I was thinking of being a xeph for the burst of speed, and soaking up the strength penalty. With elusive target, i was also curious about putting improved trip and a spike chain on this build. If the 19 levels of barb isnt feasible, i was thinking that maybe monk6 and like 2 levels of drunken master would make charging around and turning with 80 feet of speed 3 times per day (160 if I charge).

When I charge, I could then turn to incur an AoO and trigger the third (and hopefully first) abilities granted by elusive target, improved trip the first guy and get a quick hit on him, and then move onto my other target and try and trip him. I would keep running around the map tripping two people a turn, and then add the whirling ability to my spiked chain for epic lolz. Or I could just Unarmed Strike and Glaive it up.

Okay so I am sold on making an idea like this work. What are some ways to make that the most effective strategy possible?

I am thinking Scout 4/Cobra Strike Monk6/Drunken Master2
Monk gets me Dodge through Spring Attack, Scout gets me uncanny dodge and trapfinding so I can fill that role of the party, and Great Fortitude for Drunk Monk.

Other Feats: (1)Combat Expertise, (3)Improved Trip, (6)Kockdown, (9) Elusive Target, (12)Curling Wave Strike

Flickerdart
2013-02-24, 09:35 PM
Monk speed is Enhancement and doesn't stack with anything cool. You could use your one remaining level on Incarnate, there's some speedy stuff in Incarnum.

avr
2013-02-24, 09:45 PM
Can you take two different varieties of barbarian (Horse Totem, Spirit Lion Totem)? I thought that was illegal somewhere.

Metahuman1
2013-02-24, 09:58 PM
Perhaps it's time to look up The Dancer's Daughter Build?

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-24, 10:11 PM
Monk speed is Enhancement and doesn't stack with anything cool. You could use your one remaining level on Incarnate, there's some speedy stuff in Incarnum.

Ah, but if you can finagle some access to epic items pre-epic (goodness knows how), their speed bonus does multiply rather nicely with boots of swiftness. Niche benefit, no doubt, and restricted to high levels. Beni is beni, though.

I generally agree with the sentiment, though. It's silly that some classes grant competence bonuses, since those are largely what items grant, and items will quickly dwarf your class bonuses, making D&D even more equip-oriented than it otherwise is (which is very). I have no idea where they got "enhancement" for the monk speed bonus from; I guess that it was simply too big to have no type next to it (for monks and all their many abilities).

They should have gone back over 3.5 at the end and issued errata to balance all the bonus types. It wouldn't have been too hard, and they could have captured some of the outliers that make skill op the very silly exercise that it is (Jumplomancy and unnamed bonuses, for instance).

Flickerdart
2013-02-24, 10:13 PM
Can you take two different varieties of barbarian (Horse Totem, Spirit Lion Totem)? I thought that was illegal somewhere.
You can, as long as they don't give away the same thing. Spirit Lion + Horse works because Horse doesn't need fast movement or DR.

gallagher
2013-02-24, 10:38 PM
Perhaps it's time to look up The Dancer's Daughter Build?

I am unfamiliar, what does it entail?

Also, for the enhancement to speed, yeah monks bonus is enhancement but at 6 levels it gives me +20 ft, and the Xeph burst will give me 30 feet as a competence bonus at 9th level, and the quick trait would add 10 feet to the base. Are there items that increase a monks effective level for speed?

If I can get flaws I would be able to get travel devotion

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-24, 11:11 PM
I am unfamiliar, what does it entail?

Also, for the enhancement to speed, yeah monks bonus is enhancement but at 6 levels it gives me +20 ft, and the Xeph burst will give me 30 feet as a competence bonus at 9th level, and the quick trait would add 10 feet to the base. Are there items that increase a monks effective level for speed?

If I can get flaws I would be able to get travel devotion

I'm not sure if the build can handle setting and alignment restrictions, but if you cut some of the fluff from Carmendine Monk, you can get a speed equal to two levels higher, but it also alters the key-stat for monk to Int. Not sure this is helpful.

Monks that have DMs that allow sparring dummy of the master (from 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide) can also get a permanent buff of 10' step instead of 5' step, always nice for a build that keys off movement.

Your build sounds a little crowded already, but you are idea-fishing, so let me toss out Elocater PrC from Expanded Psionics Handbook. Has some very useful teleport stuff and movement, but is really best geared to something with a decent manifesting component, and your build seems to be fairly mundane-ish. Might be worth looking at. The feat pre-reqs are terrible, though. If you going Dervish, however, I think there is pre-req overlap, so maybe worth a gander.

RolandDeschain
2013-02-24, 11:20 PM
Monks that have DMs that allow sparring dummy of the master (from 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide) can also get a permanent buff of 10' step instead of 5' step, always nice for a build that keys off movement.

this would be nice if you are including scout in your build

I may be missing something but I don't believe you need "pounce" and "travel devotion" do you? won't one of them do the trick?

EDIT: Reread your post and saw you had Scout 4 in your build, just thought I would mention that 5th level will qualify you for Improved Skirmish, but your build looks like it will be very, very feat intensive anyway...

Rubik
2013-02-24, 11:21 PM
If you want to be seriously fast, take the Two-Weapon Fighting feat chain and Haste yourself, along with a level of monk and the Tashalatora feat and a psionic class of your choice (but don't go monk 20...ever), as well as Far Shot. Now grab a necklace of natural attacks, and make it a +1 throwing, distance weapon keyed to your unarmed strike.

Now flurry your way across the world every round using TWF and aiming for spaces (AC 5) rather than creatures, and hurl your entire body in a body-slam unarmed strike.

Follow up with some bloodstorm blade if you want for some extra...ahem...kick.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-24, 11:30 PM
If you want to be seriously fast, take the Two-Weapon Fighting feat chain and Haste yourself, along with a level of monk and the Tashalatora feat and a psionic class of your choice (but don't go monk 20...ever), as well as Far Shot. Now grab a necklace of natural attacks, and make it a +1 throwing, distance weapon keyed to your unarmed strike.

Now flurry your way across the world every round using TWF and aiming for spaces (AC 5) rather than creatures, and hurl your entire body in a body-slam unarmed strike.

Follow up with some bloodstorm blade if you want for some extra...ahem...kick.

I like all of this, but as a DM and a player, the +1 throwing unarmed strike of distance is hard to quantify, as well as imagine. I love the image, and I wish that monk was as cool as this without the niche trick.

Is the logic really as simple as "throwing=throw your weapon," "weapon=whole body," ergo "throw whole body?" How does this not get books thrown at me?

RolandDeschain
2013-02-24, 11:33 PM
the Tashalatora feat

what's this?

Metahuman1
2013-02-24, 11:34 PM
The point of Travel Devotion + Pounce is that you charge toward and enemy, full attack them, then get to move away in the same turn.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9321125&postcount=154

Personally, I wouldn't try it with out something to offset TWF and PA penalty's.

If you can get some extra gold, about 6-10 animated objects preforming aid another actions on you should do the trick though.

LeshLush
2013-02-24, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately, bauriars don't have the stipulation that they can use mounted feats and whatnot as if they were mounted. Any bauriar that wants to use such tactics will need to ride a Large or larger mount.
I don't see any real-world DM ruling that way.

RolandDeschain
2013-02-24, 11:38 PM
The point of Travel Devotion + Pounce is that you charge toward and enemy, full attack them, then get to move away in the same turn.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9321125&postcount=154

Personally, I wouldn't try it with out something to offset TWF and PA penalty's.

If you can get some extra gold, about 6-10 animated objects preforming aid another actions on you should do the trick though.

got it

thanks!

Flickerdart
2013-02-24, 11:41 PM

You run into attack of opportunity problems (though for enemies that would hit you as you're charging in anyway, it's a bit of a moot point). A reach weapon would be really useful if this is your plan, and the extra reach granted by a bladed whip makes it actually not useless for this tactic!

Metahuman1
2013-02-24, 11:42 PM
No problem. =)

Rubik
2013-02-24, 11:45 PM
I like all of this, but as a DM and a player, the +1 throwing unarmed strike of distance is hard to quantify, as well as imagine. I love the image, and I wish that monk was as cool as this without the niche trick.

Is the logic really as simple as "throwing=throw your weapon," "weapon=whole body," ergo "throw whole body?" How does this not get books thrown at me?Ever played Mortal Kombat? Liu Kang does a long-distance jump-kick that does exactly this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uY1BwdK2F-c#t=51s)

what's this?Tashalatora is a feat from Secrets of Sarlona that allows monk to stack with a psionic class for the purposes of unarmed strikes and a number of other monk benefits. So take one or two levels of monk and you'll get all the best parts of monk without actually having to take any but the useful levels.

gallagher
2013-02-25, 05:48 PM
Do not get me wrong, I love the charge+pounce mechanic, but that isnt what i am going for here. Same with teleportation mechanics.

The schtick I am going for is running around, covering as great a distance I can per turn by charging and being able to turn once in my charge. By running around, I hope to incur several attacks of opportunities, and invoke the third property of the elusive target feat from complete warrior. With improved trip, I would not only knock them over, but also get a free attack on their fallen body or a trip attempt against an adjacent foe with curling wave strike.

If I can get my speed high enough, I would consider wrapping curling wave strike and goind down the bounding assault+rapid blitz route. Again, the idea of this guy is to be as fast as possible, and to be able to trip as many guys while running around using the elusive target feat as possible.

Metahuman1
2013-02-25, 10:23 PM
Couple of levels of Binder with Paimon bound on a build that has a couple of damage boosters and the Knock Down + Improved Trip Feats could do this nicely once every 5 rounds.

Binder 3, Wolf Totem Barbarian 2. What ever you want after that.

Just take leadership and pick up a bard who optimizes Inspire courage as a cohort to boost your damage per hit and maybe grab Power Attack. Perhaps Knowledge Devotion if it happens to fit the character beyond the above suggestions.

Postmodernist
2013-02-25, 10:44 PM
Couple of levels of Binder with Paimon bound on a build that has a couple of damage boosters and the Knock Down + Improved Trip Feats could do this nicely once every 5 rounds.

Binder 3, Wolf Totem Barbarian 2. What ever you want after that.

Just take leadership and pick up a bard who optimizes Inspire courage as a cohort to boost your damage per hit and maybe grab Power Attack. Perhaps Knowledge Devotion if it happens to fit the character beyond the above suggestions.

Knight of the Sacred seal would allow it to be done twice every 5 rounds at little cost.

Metahuman1
2013-02-25, 11:44 PM
There you go, that should be enough for most encounters. And you've still got lot's of room for what ever you wish to throw on there on top of that.