PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures Handbook's Aspects

yougi
2013-02-24, 12:35 AM
I plan on using the Aspects from MH (p.47-54) in my campaign soon and refluff them as remains of former gods (as I use gods from another pantheon). However, I have a bit of trouble with their feat selection (which has to be redone). Here are the base selections, with the changes I've made so far (blue is what I've added, red is what I've taken out)

Asmodeus: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack (+1)
Bahamut: Alertness, Cleave, Improved Initiative,, Insightful Reflexes, Dragon Breath, Maximize Breath, Power Attack
Demogorgon: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge,, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Initiative, (+1)
Hextor: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Multiweapon Fighting, Improved Multiweapon Fighting, Power Attack
Kord: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (greatsword), Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper
Lolth: Blind-Fight, Improved Critical (bite), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (bite), Weapon Specialization (bite), Ability Focus (Poison), (+2)
Mephistopheles: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Spell Focus (evocation), Spell Penetration, Maximize SLA (Fireball), (+1)
Nerull: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Toughness (2), Weapon Focus (scythe), Maximize SLA (Inflict Critical Wounds), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Quicken SLA (Inflict Critical Wounds), (+1)
Orcus: Cleave, Improved Critical (morningstar), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (morningstar), (+2)
Tiamat: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Dragon Breath, Maximize Breath
Vecna: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Casting, Spell Penetration, Maximized SLA (Empowered Magic Missile), Insightful Reflexes, (+2)

What do you think of these choices? What do you think I should put in those empty slots?

silverwolfer
2013-02-24, 01:49 AM
neat that you found that, but to high level for me to make suggestions.

ksbsnowowl
2013-02-24, 03:14 AM
Bahamut: Alertness, Cleave, Improved Initiative,, Insightful Reflexes, Dragon Breath, Maximize Breath, Power Attack Technically, the aspect of bahamut doesn't qualify for Dragon Breath, as it is not a half dragon...

Hextor: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Multiweapon Fighting, Improved Multiweapon Fighting, Power AttackWhat's with the disdain for Combat Reflexes? It is one of the best core feats. Drop cleave (terrible feat!) for Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) or Double Hit (MiniHB). Hell, I'd drop either power attack or blindfight and get both.

Blindfight, combat reflexes, multiweapon fighting, improved multiweapon fighting, double hit, Robilar's gambit

Nerull: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Toughness (2), Weapon Focus (scythe), Maximize SLA (Inflict Critical Wounds), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Quicken SLA (Inflict Critical Wounds), (+1)
Cripes! He's the perfect candidate for Robilar's, and you're trading away combat reflexes?

Orcus: Cleave, Improved Critical (morningstar), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (morningstar), (+2) Hover or improved flight (RotW) would probably be good.

Tiamat: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Dragon Breath, Maximize Breath Not a half dragon...

yougi
2013-02-24, 08:10 AM
Well it's not really disdain for the feat, it's simply that for a character like the Aspect of Nerull, who is more of a spellcaster, is that really the best choice for him? Or for Demogorgon, I'm not sure an AoO that strikes for 1d6+4 will impress anyone.

As for Dragon Breath, you're right. Wasn't there another feat that gave creatures with a X/day breath a delay in rounds?

And thanks! :)

Xenogears
2013-02-24, 11:59 AM
Well it's not really disdain for the feat, it's simply that for a character like the Aspect of Nerull, who is more of a spellcaster, is that really the best choice for him? Or for Demogorgon, I'm not sure an AoO that strikes for 1d6+4 will impress anyone.

As for Dragon Breath, you're right. Wasn't there another feat that gave creatures with a X/day breath a delay in rounds?

And thanks! :)

Seeing as though he has all of one spell (inflict critical wounds at will) I don't see how he is much of a spellcaster. The only spell he can use is touch range.

Also looking at the stats of the aspects.... they really suck. I don't think they have appropriate CR either.

Like Mephistopheles for instance. CR9 but I'm fairly certain a lvl 9 Fighter would crush him since he has very little going for him. Good ability scores, a 1/day fireball, a crappy weapon, and being large sized are just about it...

Or Lolth. Poison. That's all she has to make her special and she's CR 11. Every turn is "she bites you for 1d8+6 and a DC20 fort save" Oh wait at lvl 11 a Fighter-Type is probably going to have 7 base fort, at least 3-4 con mod, and probably a +4 or +5 cloak of resistance so the chances of getting poisoned are pretty low given she can only bite once per round and has no defense.

All in all I'd just say to design new ones if you want to make them at all impressive or just lower their CR a bunch. If you can get access to it you should look at the Aspects of the Lords of Hell in the FC2 to see what the Aspect of a godlike being should be like IMO.

ksbsnowowl
2013-02-24, 01:11 PM
Well it's not really disdain for the feat, it's simply that for a character like the Aspect of Nerull, who is more of a spellcaster, is that really the best choice for him?As has been pointed out, he's not really much of a spellcaster. Too bad Spell Opportunity is an epic feat. Though it probably wouldn't apply to an SLA...

Or for Demogorgon, I'm not sure an AoO that strikes for 1d6+4 will impress anyone.Maybe give him something like Large and In Charge? A Strength check at +9 probably has a better than 50% chance of stopping an approacher in his tracks (depending on PC buffs).

And thanks! :)Bonus Breath from Savage Species gives you a second breath, but you have to wait an hour.