PDA

View Full Version : Skill Crystals[Magic Item]

TheOOB
2006-11-10, 08:24 PM
Lesser Skill Crystal
This small crystal, about the size of a coin, imparts temporary knowledge of a single skill into the user. When a character spends 1 minute focusing on a crystal, they gain a +2 competence bonus on all skill checks with the crystals associated skill (choosen by the items creator at the time of creation), for 24 hours. In addition they may also use the associated skill as if they where trained in it's use for the duration, even if they have no ranks in the skill. A Lesser Skill Crystal may only be used once per a day, and a character may only use one skill crystal (lesser, greater, or twin) each day. Different Lesser Skill Crystals exist for every skill(treat each different knowledge, craft, and profession skill as a seperate skill), and no Lesser Skill Crystal contains more then one associated skill.

Faint Universal; CL 3rd; Craft Wonderous Item, Creator must have 5 ranks in the crystals associated skill; Price 800gp; Weight .5 lb.

Greater Skill Crystal
These crystals, about the size of a small apple, function indentically to Lesser Skill Crystals except that they provide a +5 competence bonus, and they allow the user to reroll any skill check with the associated skill once per a day(though they must abide by the second result, even if it's worse).

Moderate Universal; CL 7th; Craft Wonderous Item, Creator must have 10 ranks in the crystals associated skill; Price 5,500gp; Weight 1lb

Twin Skill Crystal
These crystals, about the size of a large fist, function ifentically to Greater Skill Crystals except that they have two associated skills with which they grant a +5 competence bonus to instead of one. You may reroll a skill once once per day for each of the two associated skills of the crystal.

Moderate Universal; CL 10th; Craft Wonderous Item, Creator must have 10 ranks in each of the crystals associated skills; Price 9,625gp; Weight 2lb

Lucid_Archon
2006-11-10, 09:39 PM
Interesting items. I could see a thief using one right before a heist to be sneakier. Things that size should have weights, though.

TheOOB
2006-11-10, 09:53 PM
Hmm, I forgot weight, I'll add it in. Due to their price I primarly see them being used as a way to gain access to a skill your party would otherwise lack, but they definatly have their uses for buffing existing skills, even if they are over twice the cost of an equivelent skill boosting item that takes an item slot.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-11-11, 10:49 PM
Sorry, but this already exists in XPH.

LordOfNarf
2006-11-11, 10:55 PM
Sorry, but this already exists in XPH.

XPS has Shards, which grant an instant 1-10 bonus on one skill, without using any actions for focusing, and they cost less than your skill crystals.

Jack_Simth
2006-11-11, 11:25 PM
Well, the Greater skill crystals give you a re-roll on your skill checks... which can be really really valuable for Bluff or Hide.

TheOOB
2006-11-12, 03:24 AM
Unlike shards, skill crystals effect lasts all day (like a skill boosting magic item such as cloaks of elvenkind), and they are reusable. They cost so much because they are basically permenate magic items that don't take an item slot.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-11-13, 10:06 PM
Ah, I see the difference. Perhaps you should not let someone use more than one of them at a time. I can see someone potentionally abusing the crystals, especailly if they get 3 or 4 in one treasure.

TheOOB
2006-11-13, 10:11 PM
you can only recieve the benefit of any skill crystal once every 24 hours

Proven_Paradox
2006-11-13, 11:00 PM
I see what you're saying, but it's still not quite clear that you can't make them stack. I would clarify that a bit.

Still, these are good items. I could see rogues I play picking a couple of these up.

TheOOB
2006-11-13, 11:54 PM
Okay, I think it's a bit clearer now.

Proven_Paradox
2006-11-14, 01:06 AM
Much better. Yeah, I definately like these; useful for everyone more-or-less equally, and not at all overpowered. That'd be gold well spent, I say.