PDA

View Full Version : Templates That Lower LA

gurgleflep
2013-02-24, 03:02 AM
Are there any temlates that lower the level adjustment? If there are any, where can I find them? Homebrew or from any of the books, I don't mind either, as long as it gets the job done.

And ahead of time, because I'm quite forgetful, I would like to thank anybody and everybody who helps me out here. :thog:

mattie_p
2013-02-24, 03:05 AM
Incarnate Construct from Savage Species is the only one I am aware of. LA -2. Must be a construct.

Bakkan
2013-02-24, 03:13 AM
Incarnate construct also can't reduce the LA below 0, so its synergy with ECL 0 constructs like warforged is minimal.

Story
2013-02-24, 09:23 AM
It also gets rid of most of your abilities, and you can't take inherited templates afterwards.

Ruethgar
2013-02-24, 10:32 AM
The Book of Templates Deluxe Edition has a few, but you would defiantly need to use savage species to determine the new LA, wouldn't trust the listings in that book.

HalfQuart
2013-02-24, 01:11 PM
I believe Incarnate Construct is the only template with negative LA. You can peruse the Master Template List (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List&post_num=2#338308814).

Rubik
2013-02-24, 01:47 PM
Incarnate construct also can't reduce the LA below 0, so its synergy with ECL 0 constructs like warforged is minimal.Well, you can add templates afterwards, though not inherited templates. What templates can go on a living construct? Most specify humanoids, monstrous humanoids, animals, vermin, and magical beasts, far as I know.

Soranar
2013-02-24, 01:56 PM
well, if you had to homebrew something that reduces LA it would have to be pretty major

like -4 to Con or

-2 STR, -2 CON, -2 INT

Basically it has to hurt

Fyermind
2013-02-24, 02:58 PM
Warforged Incarnate Construct Saint is a fun character to play. Just saying.

Vaz
2013-02-24, 03:57 PM
Well, you can add templates afterwards, though not inherited templates. What templates can go on a living construct? Most specify humanoids, monstrous humanoids, animals, vermin, and magical beasts, far as I know.

Xorvintaal Exarch is the only one IIRC (assuming creature doesn't count). And that is applied, rather than inherited. However there are plenty which change a type to Construct; like dustform or effigy.

Bakkan
2013-02-24, 05:00 PM
Well, you can add templates afterwards, though not inherited templates. What templates can go on a living construct? Most specify humanoids, monstrous humanoids, animals, vermin, and magical beasts, far as I know.

Only if you have a DM that doesn't require you to recalculate LA between templates, which I think you would need to do for acquired templates, since at each step you have to check whether the "base creature" qualifies for the template. The order in which you add things matters a lot.

For instance, a Lolth-Touched Incarnate Construct Warforged can come about one of two ways:

We could apply Lolth-Touched first, and then Incarnate Construct. This is legal because Lolth-Touched can apply to a construct as long as it is corporeal and living living (which a warforged is).

We start with Warforged, with LA +0. Applying Lolth-Touched increases the LA to +1. Applying Incarnate Construct decreases the LA by two, but is limited to +0. So the resulting creature has LA +0 but suffers the downsides of Incarnate Construct.

On the other hand , we could apply Incarnate Construct, then Lolth-Touched. We start with LA +0 for warforged, then we apply Incarnate Construct. This decreases the LA by 2, to a minimum of 0. Since 0-2=-2<0, the LA for an Incarnate Construct Warforged is +0. Then we apply the Lolth-Touched template, which increases the LA of the base creature (which is +0) by one, to a total of +1.