PDA

View Full Version : A colobrative project anyone can contribute to.

Hamsandwich
2013-02-24, 04:24 AM
/tg/, the traditional games board on 4chan has begun a project that interests me, it's actually fairly serious as opposed to say http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burrowowl/busty-barbarian-bimbos. Called Endless Depths, it's about a generic fantasy world that suffered a great calamity, destroying the surface for the most part resulting in refugees moving into the caverns and holds of the dwarfs (Metro 2033 fantasy edition) with actually quite a lot of unique fluff.
The system uses exploding dice, D10s to be specific, if you've every played Spartan Games you'll be familiar with the mechanic. With a fairly interesting class system and some other neatness I think it shows some real promise, there's a Google doc that anyone can edit with ideas in the following link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XROjo4gjjQXBW7lPtU0sCFobdei5xT2dDlRiwXwt67g/edit

Also Bears are a player race.

The Walrus King
2013-02-25, 01:10 AM
Exploding dice? Elaborate.

Hamsandwich
2013-02-25, 01:36 AM
you have a dice pool and need a certain number of successes to perform an action.

Before modifiers a roll 0f a 1-5 is a fail, a 6-9 a success, and a 10 is ALWAYS 2 successes and another dice roll.

ArcturusV
2013-02-25, 01:59 AM
Ah yes. "Open Rolls" like Anima, or the Emperor's Justice or whatever they call it from Dark Heresy, I seem to recall World of Darkness had something similar but I can't remember what they called it.

I don't like it. Tends to make things swingy. Really swingy. More so than "Critical Hits" ever did. Particularly when you run into the guy who has loaded dice... ug.

Hamsandwich
2013-02-25, 02:32 AM
I feel like playing with a guy who has loaded dice would be a problem in most games. Dystopian wars is a great example of the mechanic done well, if implemented properly it can make combat very cinematic. Its also up for debate whether 10s will be one success or two.

Grinner
2013-02-25, 02:38 AM
Oh. Hey. I attempted a project like that once.

Let's see:
The sun goes out.
A vampire apocalypse ensues.
The surface freezes over.
Much of the world's populations evacuate into volcanic tunnels.
Dwarves and the other short races fare well.
Humans and company acclimate but aren't as well off as the others.
Because subterranean life has trouble supporting so many people, expeditions must be made to the surface for supplies.
Remember the vampires? They don't mind the cold, apparently, and so every expedition turns into a feeding frenzy.

ArcturusV
2013-02-25, 03:40 AM
Well, it depends. If I'm playing DnD 4th edition, it's not so much of a problem. All a Crit means is Maximized damage, not double to quintuple damage. But compare to Anima and it's open rolls. Played with a guy who had badly loaded dice (DM never cared to slap him for it) and would routinely roll over 1,000 on a d100 at level 2. Allowing him to deal insane amounts of damage that allowed him to one shot bosses even several levels above him that should have wiped him out, no question.

Omnicrat
2013-02-25, 02:51 PM
Well, it depends. If I'm playing DnD 4th edition, it's not so much of a problem. All a Crit means is Maximized damage, not double to quintuple damage. But compare to Anima and it's open rolls. Played with a guy who had badly loaded dice (DM never cared to slap him for it) and would routinely roll over 1,000 on a d100 at level 2. Allowing him to deal insane amounts of damage that allowed him to one shot bosses even several levels above him that should have wiped him out, no question.

That sounds like a bad DM and a bad player, not a bad system. Just because if someone cheats really good things happen to them does not make a system bad.