PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Evolved and Pathfinder

ProudGrognard
2013-02-24, 04:37 AM
Dear coforumites,

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with Monte Cook's Arcane Evolved and if yes, if anyone had luck tried to merge it with Pathfinder.

What I like about AE was its magic system, really. As I am getting older, I feel that the way DnD has correlated magical abilities with professions (only divine magic heals) can be a bit confining. AE seems a bit more balanced, while remaining flexible and fun.
I also liked the way AE re-imagined some classes. The akashik is a nice take on the skillmonkey, while the champion is a good replacement for the paladinesque role of the Fighter of the Cause archetype. The unfettered is one of the best light armored warriors out there and so on. It would be simple to just put them alongside regular PG classes, or just replace with the analogue. The question is, how do they fare compared to their analogues, power and balance wise?
But then, I also like the alchemist, for example, and the warlock from 3.5, which do not immediately have analogues. They would require massive adjustments to work with AE. Or not?

Theoretically, one could also go about and take subsystem by subsystem (feats, skills, combat) and replace AE with Pathfinder. But classes and magic are rather sensitive to these changes.

So. Any ideas or experiences with this?