PDA

View Full Version : Increase Class Features?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-02-24, 11:54 AM
I've always been wondering this, and with a current character concept I have it becomes even more apparent now.

Is there a way to increase certain class dependent features?

Mainly looking at: Hit Dice, Base Attack Bonus, Saving Throws & Skill Points per level

Are there ways to increase any of the following in general without changing classes?

Like is there a feat that will increase my HD value, my SP per level, make a low saving throw a high one etc?

Note: Please do not suggest magic spells, unless if it can be used with permamency because I'm looking for solid changes, not temporary ones that will die out after a certain amount of time.

qwertyu63
2013-02-24, 11:57 AM
The only one that comes to mind is being a human for the skill point per level boost, but others will likely know more than me.

Urpriest
2013-02-24, 11:58 AM
There are alternate class features that do it, depending on the class. For example, Clerics can take Cloistered Cleric, which gives 6+Int skill points along with some other features. But there aren't any general ways to do it, since that would kind of be missing the point of the class system.

Piggy Knowles
2013-02-24, 12:02 PM
Uncanny Trickster, from Complete Scoundrel.

Three levels of this class will progress any existing class features by two, while giving you 8 skill points per level. For example, an artificer who took three levels in UT would gain new class features as if he had taken two more levels in artificer, but he would get the skill points and BAB of an Uncanny Trickster for those levels.

The same is true for Legacy Champion, and for more than three levels, but Legacy Champion only gives you 4 skill points per level.

Xenogears
2013-02-24, 12:02 PM
Nymph's Kiss from BoED gives you one more skill point per lvl so that kind of counts. Only pre-reqs are to be Exalted (super duper good) and carry on a "friendly" relationship with a good aligned Fey.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-24, 12:04 PM
What is your true goal by doing this? Are you trying to qualify for something, or do you just want to pad your numbers? If it's the former, most methods are going to be pretty cheesy, falling under early entry tricks.

If it's the latter, you might be going about this the wrong way. Increasing hitpoints is a lot easier to do by boosting con, not increasing the die your roll for hit points. Skill bonuses are easy to come by, but increasing actual ranks beyond a level cap is very difficult.

gooddragon1
2013-02-24, 12:04 PM
X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Lots of ways to add a non related stat to saves. Dark One's own luck is an invocation that lasts 24 hours that you can use at will at Warlock level 1 to add charisma to a save of your choice. Divine Metamagic on a Divine Might spell gives a class with less than full BAB the full BAB. So cloistered cleric for lots of skill points and then divine might for full BAB.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-24, 12:19 PM
There various racial ACF usually come with a change in hit die, but it's limited.

HalfQuart
2013-02-24, 01:02 PM
There's a few templates that can do this... most notably is becoming undead, such as via Necropolitan in Libris Mortis, which among other things increases your hit die to d12. There might be some dragon templates that do something similar, but Half-Dragon from MM only changes your racial HD and not class..

Looks like Half-Illithid from Fiend Folio changes your HD to d8... not a really practical template considering the +5 LA.

The Improved Toughness feat from Complete Warrior effectively raises your HD by one step.

Rubik
2013-02-24, 07:18 PM
As mentioned, undead templates generally raise all of your HD to d12s, though you lose your Con. But if you have a 10 Con or less (not recommended unless you plan on becoming undead) it's a net plus. Of course, if you're a d4 caster with a 17 Con or less, it's still a reasonably decent tradeoff, assuming you roll well.

Three levels of factotum will add your Intelligence modifier to all Strength-based and Dexterity-based ability checks and skill checks (including trips and initiative), and will also let you add your Int to attack rolls, damage rolls, and AC when you need it (limited by encounter and the number of inspiration points you've got). Combined with the Able Learner feat, it also effectively gives you all skills as class skills, as well.