PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a dynamic team

Fyermind
2013-02-24, 02:49 PM
So I am a lonely D&D player. I never have enough time at the right times to play with my friends. But I am hopelessly addicted. These means I play by myself a lot. I've gotten really good at some things because of it, but I've always struggled building good teams of characters that have many distinct tools at their disposal without becoming overpowered in any one.

So here is the goal. Avoiding tier 1 characters, and without playing dirty tricks that might make the game no fun with other characters, come up with build concepts for 4 gestalt characters given LA buyoff where LA counts on both sides but only at 2/3 cost rounded up.

Why the complex LA rules? I'm trying to balance LA with Gestalt. It seems like it works so far.

So what does this team need to be able to do?
All characters should be able to contribute meaningfully each round during combat in most situations.
Each character should have multiple non-combat skills that could reasonably come up.
The team should have the capacity to solve most non combat situations.
The team should have synergistic options in combat.
The team should not trivialize most encounters.
The team should be able to survive in a high OP campaign world. I am the sort of DM who gives earth elementals VoP and two levels of crusader. I am also the sort of DM who gives hell hounds maximize breath, entangling exhalation, and clinging breath. My world will have tier one NPCs in it. The PCs are expected to, in most situations, fear tier one NPCs. I don't spam SoD effects as a DM, but I do target weakest saves and use a broad array of debuffing effects.

Since I am both DM and players for the product of this, I really get to decide what is too much and what isn't. I am a pretty lenient guy.

Stats will be determined off five roll ups of which I will pick four. Each array will be build 18, 5d4b3 x6.

I'm interested in ideas people have for me.

Edit: The builds should all come into their own by level 3 which means no more than a +3 level adjustment