PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Companion Spirits?

rot42
2013-02-24, 04:16 PM
I like the idea of Companion Spirits (DMG II, Dragon Magic, unrelated to getting drunk with Inara), but every time I read over the list I get the feeling the bonuses are likely to be recorded on the character sheets and promptly forgotten (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html). Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with the mechanic? Are there any recommended homebrew companion spirits or similar systems? If I give my players a companion spirit, will it be worth the hassle?

rot42
2013-02-26, 05:40 AM
Nothing? Everybody else has as little experience with them as I do? Ah, well.

ArcturusV
2013-02-26, 05:45 AM
Never played them. Then again the "Oh... I have a..." is also something I'm used to with Familiars. The players might remember that their Raven Familiar grants +3 Spot or something (And the modifier will be recorded on the sheet)... but the Familiar itself is almost never used in game. And when it is it's usually used in the most blunt, uninteresting way possible like "Go scout the tunnel ahead" and put on suicide duty more or less.

So my guess is... yes... people will just ignore them other than whatever skills/stat bonus they give? I mean occasionally you have the Ranger or Wizard who actually really uses their companion/familiar as an ally and gives it some depth. But it's the exception rather than the rule.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-26, 09:13 AM
Well, someone in one of my games played something similar (I think it was an Eternal Blade class feature in ToB?) like a Navi (the stupid glowy things from LoZ). It was just an excuse for the DM to be annoying and obstructive.

I could see it going well if the spirits have personalities and backstories. Like if they give advice according to their personalities (racist one might recommend killing elves and orcs even when it isn't helpful, honorable one might act as the PCs moral compass, etc).