PDA

View Full Version : Help with Stinking Cloud defense

Hua
2013-02-24, 05:09 PM
What defense is there for a stinking cloud spell (in 3.5)?
It does not say it is poision or disease. It does not allow spell resistance or spell immunity.
I have seen no erratta or anything remotely official for a defense against this other than having a high fort save.
Any suggestions?

Wolfer
2013-02-24, 05:12 PM
Only defense is with a fortitude save every round, leaving the cloud, or a gust of wind spell or similar. Stinking cloud doesn't remain very long, though. Only a round per caster level.

Rubik
2013-02-24, 05:15 PM
A necklace of adaptation (9,000 gp, wondrous item in the DMG) will prevent any and all gas attacks from harming you. Plus it's useful for dozens of other things. Just add it onto whatever periapt or necklace that you would normally wear for a 1.5x cost, as per the MIC (though you could add it onto an amulet of health for a flat 9k easily enough).

Starbuck_II
2013-02-24, 05:17 PM
What defense is there for a stinking cloud spell (in 3.5)?
It does not say it is poision or disease. It does not allow spell resistance or spell immunity.
I have seen no erratta or anything remotely official for a defense against this other than having a high fort save.
Any suggestions?

Necklace of Adaptation since it is a gas/cloud.
Then there are magic items that protect against clouds:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a
Though Cloud Cloak just lets you see through it.

Spuddles
2013-02-24, 05:20 PM
Summon Monster 4 will get you an air mephit, which has gust of wind.

There's also a low level spell somewhere that creates a little bubble of air around your head, I think.

Tulya
2013-02-24, 05:21 PM
Necklace of Adaptation (9000 gold) counters noxious fumes and drowning by surrounding you in a gas-impermeable bubble of fresh air.

Anything capable of dispersing a fog cloud will get rid of Stinking Cloud. Wind Fan (5500) will generate Gust of Wind once per day without penalty. In the hands of enemy NPCs, its chance to self-destruct after more than one use is more of a benefit than a drawback.

Anything that confers immunity to nausea, though nothing comes to mind right off that isn't a spell or creature type change.

Edit: Ninja'd on both counts. :)

Psyren
2013-02-24, 05:25 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder? In PF, Stinking Cloud is indeed a poison.

Story
2013-02-24, 05:43 PM
For an existing character, there's always the possibility of Necropolitan, though many characters will not want to take this, and it does have a few drawbacks.

For a new character, Warforged also works.

Hua
2013-02-28, 09:22 PM
Playing 3.5, not pathfinder.
There is nothing I can find to avoid nausea.
I had not thought of the necklace of adaptation, but looks like that that or just makeing the fort save, which is not so easy for many classes.
The sorcerers we are fighting seem to all have this spell and inside tunnels it is really annoying. The bard and rogue in our party seem to spend a lot of time puking on their shoes. I was hoping to find a way to avoid it but looks like it will be just spreading out as much as possible to minimize how many it hits at once.

Thanks to all that gave it some thought.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-28, 10:06 PM
In addition to the necklace of adaptation, you could use the dispel fog spell (SpC) It's a 2nd level spell that can be used eliminate any fog, natural, magical, or otherwise. It either acts as a dispel magic if cast on an already fogged area, or acts as a blanket "nope" if cast beforehand.

Or, you could be an air genasi. They have the breathless ability, which gives immunity to gas attacks and the like (plus suffocation, drowning, and anything else that would interfere with breathing.)

Karnith
2013-02-28, 10:59 PM
Or, you could be an air genasi. They have the breathless ability, which gives immunity to gas attacks and the like (plus suffocation, drowning, and anything else that would interfere with breathing.)
Alternately, you can be a member of one of the air races (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfAir), which get breathless as a racial trait and no level adjustment.

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-28, 11:55 PM
I believe warforged are immune to being nauseated (among other things), so there's always that.

TuggyNE
2013-03-01, 03:17 AM
I believe warforged are immune to being nauseated (among other things), so there's always that.

"I cast stinking cloud, centered on myself!" :smalltongue:

Alefiend
2013-03-01, 04:13 AM
Light a match. :smalltongue:

nedz
2013-03-01, 08:00 AM
Acquire Undead or Construct Traits.
There are several spells you can use to do this.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-01, 08:57 AM
There's always the feat Strong Stomach from Cityscape, Nausea becomes sickened, sickened is negated. Doesn't ignore stinking cloud entirely but -2 to some rolls is a million times better than move actions only.

Darrin
2013-03-01, 09:09 AM
Auran Mask (60 GP, Complete Mage). +5 circumstance bonus against inhaled toxins.

Breathing Hood (70 GP, Drow of the Underdark). +8 circumstance bonus against all inhaled poisons. While stinking cloud isn't identified as a poison, I don't see any plausible reason why the bonus wouldn't apply.

Green Air Bramble (80 GP, Complete Scoundrel). +2 untyped bonus against any inhaled poison or sickening/nauseating effect.

Talisman of Undying Fortitude (8000 GP, MIC). Immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, crits, nonlethal, physical ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, massive damage, and any effect requiring a Fort save. Swift action to activate, works 2/day for 3 rounds.