PDA

View Full Version : From Hell to Hero: Build Help for a Back-Up PC <3.5>

Tokuhara
2013-02-24, 05:57 PM
I'm well into a current campaign and I have a feeling if my druid gets close, I will be killed. Sadly, lots of my abilities are close combat. So here I am trying to make a good ToB versatile melee expert, and asking the playground for help.

I had the idea of a Dragonborn Hellbred Warblade/Crusader build themed around simply being "Mr. Versatile" without shelling out 80 bazillion feats for Master of Nine. I'd prefer to be viable in 99.99% of all combats, even if that means I have to carry a bow with me for the flying buggers.

The house rules:

Races get weapons tied to their name as free proficiencies (ie: Goliaths are proficient in Goliath Greathammers, Elves get Elven Thinblade, Gnomes get Gnomish Quickrazors, etc.)

Factotum is banned.

All 3.0 & 3.5 from all sources minus homebrew (so Dragon Magazine, 3rd Party, and 1st party are greenlighted)

Faerun Setting (not hard, but could sway the build one way or another)

the party is mostly Neutral Good with a CG occasional bard and rogue, a LN swordsage, and an Exalted Cleric & Druid

Help?

ksbsnowowl
2013-02-24, 07:17 PM
"Dragonborn Hellbred"

Won't dragonborn kill most of the racial features from Hellbred?

Don't get me wrong, I see the concept you're going for (redemption and dedication to a higher purpose), but I'm not sure the mechanics will work out well. But they might.

Thicket of Blades could get you a lock-down build easy enough.

I've seen good things out of Lion Totem Barb (CC) 1/Warblade X, with a pouncing Shock Trooper, followed by combat brute + emerald razor.

Tokuhara
2013-02-24, 07:42 PM
Yes. However, my PC was a criminal who asked for a second chance, then saved a Steel Dragon Wyrmling from a group of red dragons. Bahamut, seeing this act of kindness, took his nearly dead body and put him through the Rite of Rebirth, making him a Dragonborn. Sadly, the sins of his past cling to him, but he is now a vigilant symbol of redemption.

I was almost thinking a shield basher crackdown with some extra toys (maybe a Dragon-Themed Soulmeld or two, etc.)

and here's my mental image of what he would look like Post-Rite

http://mondycano.com/wp-includes/js/jcrop/dragonborn-fighter-build-i9.jpg

avr
2013-02-24, 09:25 PM
What level are you looking like starting at?

Warblade with a late 1-2 level Crusader dip could easily be very tough and versatile, yes. I don't know that you'd have the feats available for TWF and shield bashing on top of using them for soulmelds. Depends a bit on the level though I guess. Two handed fighting is so much easier in D&D.

Tokuhara
2013-02-24, 10:12 PM
What level are you looking like starting at?

Warblade with a late 1-2 level Crusader dip could easily be very tough and versatile, yes. I don't know that you'd have the feats available for TWF and shield bashing on top of using them for soulmelds. Depends a bit on the level though I guess. Two handed fighting is so much easier in D&D.

Right now, It's 3.

Improved Shield Bash
Shield Charge
Power Attack
Improved Bullrush
Shield Slam

That's the way I'm looking to run (think Linebacker)