PDA

View Full Version : the pricing of Gwaerons boots

vartan
2013-02-24, 07:57 PM
How much would a pair of gwaerons boots without the pass without trace feature be? Or is there a magic item that defeats scent for cheaper?

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-24, 08:06 PM
I think there is a mundane item called "scentblind" or some such. You could use the price of that, maybe multiply it by a bit and then apply the mod for a constant effect item.

Or just apply scentblind or w/e religiously.

vartan
2013-02-24, 08:13 PM
I know of scentbreaker, but I'm looking to be undetectable by scent in addition to being untrackable by it.

tyckspoon
2013-02-24, 08:13 PM
I think there is a mundane item called "scentblind" or some such. You could use the price of that, maybe multiply it by a bit and then apply the mod for a constant effect item.

Or just apply scentblind or w/e religiously.

It'd probably be cheaper to just chain-chug potions of Pass Without Trace at 50 gp/hour of effect; alchemical items tend to be quite expensive per-dose for a much lesser effect.. also, I don't know of any mundane items that actually remove scent. There are a couple that make you hard to track by scent, but those are described as being overpowering scents on their own. Useful if you need to make your own particular scent untraceable, not so good if you need to be undetectable by scent completely.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-24, 08:45 PM
Hmm, the distinction is noted. Does pass without trace protect one from scent generally, or just for tracking purposes? The last line of the spell seems pretty explicit, but the line just before that mentions leaving no scent, and it's hard to envision the point at which you smell, but the smell goes away once you are beyond distance x.... Hmm, clearly I am not an expert in the ways of scent as I should be.

vartan
2013-02-24, 08:55 PM
Well as the abovementioned boots say they grant pass without trace and go on to further stipulate that you are undetectable by scent, I would imagine that the explicitness of the spell is confirmed by the boots.

If you try and price the pass without trace feature I think you get 3000 gold, so the question is is the scent invisibility worth 3000 on its own?

Edit to add: Why would scent immunity cost 3k and immunity to darkvision cost 2k? The visual sense is clearly more important.