PDA

View Full Version : Imp. Grab and Attacks of Opportunity

AlanBruce
2013-02-25, 03:12 AM
Greetings! I have a scenario which I would very much appreciate clarification.

The party is fighting a pseudonatural beast with five tentacle attacks. The creature has used one of his tentacles to grapple the cleric, but has his other four tentacles free. The party's warlock plans on flying in and using her Flee the Scene on the cleric to move her and the cleric as far away as possible.

My questions are twofold:

1. Could the Warlock move her and another willing target away using the invocation?

2. Could the monster use his remaining four tentacles to attempt an AoO against the flying warlock who will move in and get the cleric out? Could he even attempt to attack normally while the cleric is held?

Thank you in advance!

rockdeworld
2013-02-25, 03:57 AM
1. Yes. Flee The Scene references Dimension Door, which allows you to take a passenger.

2. No. You don't threaten any squares when grappling, and arguably can't even attack anyone else (in the list of things you can do If You're Grappling (If You’re Grappling), which includes attacking the other grappler, that's not listed).

You don’t threaten any squares while grappling.

AlanBruce
2013-02-25, 04:08 AM
Thank you very much! This will make resolving the encounter that much easier!

HunterOfJello
2013-02-25, 04:08 AM
2. No. You don't threaten any squares when grappling, and arguably can't even attack anyone else (in the list of things you can do If You're Grappling (If You’re Grappling), which includes attacking the other grappler, that's not listed).

This is normally true. However, Improved Grab is an exception to this rule and has a clause that allows a creature to both be in a grapple, but not be considered to be in one.

Improved Grab
Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only
against opponents at least one size category smaller than
the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the
grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used
in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to
do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on grapple checks, but is
not considered grappled itself;the creature does not lose its
Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use
its remaining attacks against other opponents.

It is possible for the creature to be using improved grab to hold the cleric while also not being counted as grappling. The creature would take a big penalty to its grapple checks, but would be able to make attacks of opportunity against anyone who comes near it.

AlanBruce
2013-02-25, 12:02 PM
Thank you for clarifying that! Sadly, I realized the creature was medium. And even with Powerful Build, his imp. grab does not work on medium sized creatures, particularly when attacking + grabbing + constricting in the same round.