PDA

View Full Version : Help With Building a Character (details inside)

Howling Winds
2013-02-25, 03:18 AM
Hello all, and thanks hugely in advance to whoever reads this. I've read these forums for all things 3.5 for some time now (let's leave it at years) and have now realized that, with enough detail, this board can be massively helpful. As it just so happens, I have come upon a question which I can find no solution on my own, thus I come to this board for assistance.

So; a few details about the campaign and the character I'm playing in it. Essentially, the DM here has created a plane which he has called Serenity (Firefly reference fully intended I think). This plane, according to what he has set up, is a mishmash/smorgosboard of all races from any published source, which many have detailed in their apps for said game, which it should be noted, has not yet started and will not start for at least a couple of days if not a week. Now, his "goal" with this plane is to create, via the PC's, a "living, breathing world where things happen" basically, a campaign focused more on Role Play than Roll Play. Though, it should be noted, there will (I think) be combat involved. More on that below.

In the spirit of "throwing the dice" (pun fuly intended) I decided that, for this special campaign, I'd try out a race that I completely know nothing about, in terms of ability bonuses, traits, favored class etc. etc. and have chosen a Spiker (from the Planar handbook page 14). Now, the way the DM has set this campaign up, PC's start at third level, with 3K starting gold, characters that are LA 0 (though some have submitted LA+1 but no LA+2 characters) though he does allow level buyoff, Now, in addition to what I saw as the pretty freakin' cool racial traits and bonuses and abilities of the Spiker, I have written more about him. He is Lawful Evilly aligned, the only character so far with this alignment, and loves the thrill of battle and combat, but wants to prove that he can survive and be an amazing battle hardened fighter.

For his class, I have chosen fighter, because it fits in many ways, but I realized quickly that a pure fighter is not the direction I want to take him. Time to multiclass! (yay) So, I went back into some of the older posts here and looked at some of the PrC's, eventually taking Occult Slayer. What are the board's thoughts? Decent choice or is there something better? I decided on Fighter2/ Ranger 1 (for the Dex and the lols)

Additional question: The DM, just today in fact, has ruled that we will be using the Fractional BAB and Saves Rule from Unearthed Arcana (page 73 or 74 I think) because it will equalize out all the different characters and multiclass,prestidge class options, instead of giving people ridiculous BAB's and dead levels to Save and 1st level Modifiers. I don't have this book and have been web crawling to find something that explains this, and was wondering if anyone on the board can provide a simple example of how it works?

Finally, this is a long post, I'm sorry it's this way, but I wanted to be sure that everyone had adequate detail to work with when responding. If you've read all this; thank you. :)

rockdeworld
2013-02-25, 03:37 AM
Fractional BAB in brief (by FranktheDM):

IIRC the way it works is each level gives you a fraction of a bonus.

Good BAB level +1 point
Medium BAB level +.75 point
Poor BAB level +.50 point

The very first level you take that has a good save gives you a one time +2 bonus in that save.

Good Save level +.5 point
Poor BAB level + 1/3rd of a point
When it comes time to roll dice, fractions round down.

HalfQuart
2013-02-26, 08:26 PM
So besides the variant rules, what specifically are you asking?