PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Prophecy [D20 3.5e Eberron] [IC]

Graham
2013-02-25, 07:52 AM
The lands of the living shall be made dead, and the lands of the dead shall be once more made living. When bones turn to dust, and the High King once again sits astride the ice then the secrets of old discovered shall remake the world as it once was, and as it will be again.

Prophecy recently uncovered by scholars has understandably gotten people concerned about what might be coming. As always, prophecy is incredibly hard to understand exactly what is meant, and there are rarely any indications as to when or where any events that might be indicated will actually unfold. For all anyone knows, the events described might have happened a thousand years ago, or not for a thousand years hence. Or they might be unfolding as we speak. Often it is impossible to tell until it is too late. But scholars of prophecy - those who spend their entire lives devoted to the study of such things - find commonality amongst the various threads. It is possible to trace prophecy throughout and see where things fit together - to see that this prophecy must happen after that one, or that this other prophecy might stop an entire branch from occurring. But reading prophecy is one thing. Reacting to it, and changing the world because of it is so much harder. There are even those who would say that it is impossible - that prophecy will unfold as it was always destined to do so, but that our interpretations of it are wrong. There is even the theory that our attempts to change the course of prophecy is what ultimately makes it unfold as expected. As with all these things, it is impossible to say.

This latest prophecy has many people disturbed though. Talks of a High King understandably scare people, and talks of the land of the living and the dead outright petrify them.

Rhyvurg
2013-02-25, 08:43 AM
Gauntlet enters Morgrave shortly after dawn, to resume his daily task of endless waiting for either a chance to join a company to Xen'Drick, or to find competent individuals to join him. But as in all things, he was patient. It was hard to feel rushed when time's claws could find no purchase on you.

boldfont
2013-02-25, 11:05 AM
Kooks wakes up with an exaggerated yawn and scratches her bum. She pulls her laundry from the rafters and packs her bag. Tonight she'll sleep in the archives instead of the library. She pulls on her homemade baggy pants. They are still damp, but at least they don't stink. She dries they with a cantrip. Hmmm... Why didn't she just clean them with a cantrip instead of scrubbing them by hand in the holy water font? Oh that's right! She didn't want that funny magic smell to linger on them all day. But she just... Doh! Well, no one else ever seems to notice these things anyways.

Kooks cleans her teeth with a stick and waxes her pits with a library candle. She pulls out her pocket mirror.
Lookin' spry today Kooks!
And she does! Even her mother would agree. Of course she wouldn't approve of the hair.
Or the clothes.
Or the lifestyle.
They would probably fight all day.

Kooks decided to cancel her original plans of going home for the day to visit the family. It was an executive decision based on benefit to risk ratios. Besides! She had a mission! Find out what the latest mysteryoso prophesy thingamabobber meant!

Kooks grabbed her gear and casually strolled past the rows of morning keeners. It was straight to the museum for her. Her tummy groaned in protest. The plan did not include breakfast and she was hungry! On her way she passed a massive blue warforge with big clunky chunky funky plates. She wished she were a machine. Then she wouldn't have to eat. Of course... then she wouldn't get to eat! And Kooks loved eating. She wondered if that Doctor Gnome guy and his buddy would be there. She liked gnomes.

When she arrived she found herself a comfortable spot among the relics and priceless valuables. She put some sweet potato chips she swiped from a student in a 5,000 year old urn that was lying around and she was munching on those. The book on the High King that she had "checked out" was so BORING! Why did these learny types have to write whole pages just to state the obvious? Most of it was dead wrong anyways. Her owns notes on the prophsey, which she had sprawled out on the floor, depicted a much more... colourful version of history. As the chips ran low, and the hours passed, Kooks began to grow tired again. Her eyes began to droop and she passed out where she was, book in hand, among the antiques.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-25, 01:03 PM
"aHEM."

Kooks is woken by the sound of a throat clearing--so loud and articulated that there is no allusion that phlegm was ever the reason for the sound. Her ears wake up before her eyes, and she hears the blurry patch in front of her scold, "I trust that the tome in your possession has been signed out appropriately through the librarian, and not otherwise requisitioned. Is that correct, Ms. Kookali?"

Her eyes begin to rouse from their slumber as well, just in time to see the blurry patch gain focus and coalesce into the emaciated figure of Dr. Phinneas Kessler, long-time history professor and unwitting hypnotist/sleep therapist to many a student. Laying on the floor provided forced perspective and made the gnome loom over her, though he was no taller than most human schoolchildren. His scholarly robes identifying him as a member of Morgrave faculty are tattered and faded, two words that seem to define his entire ethos. A thick stack of papers barely avoids spilling forth from the satchel he clutches in his bony arms, and rough corners are seen poking from the stack covered in notes in various languages.

His face looks much the way Kooks feels, merely amplified--as if for decades, stuffy professors had been waking him from one much-needed nap after another. The wrinkles in his face have settled to the point where they could now be considered fjords, and his fine white moustache cascades off his face in an elaborate display of age. A set of rounded spectacles are perched at the end of his bulbous nose, and the angle of his scornful glare at the young girl causes her to see his eyes magnified to the point of absurdity in the bifocal portion of his spectacles.

The gnome's moustache sweeps the floor as he stoops down to clutch the book from Kooks. "And the urn," he continues his lecture, "I trust you simply found it outside its display case and were safeguarding it until it could be returned to the curator? On a related note, I've been unable to find a quill pen of mine for about three day's time now...I last carelessly left it in its fountain on my desk. Haven't been 'safeguarding' that, have you? Sometimes I have half a mind to march you directly to the Provost's office and--" his squeaky, nasal whine stops in his tiny throat as he finally glimpses the title of the book with enough clarity to read it.

"The High King?" he asks, equal parts quizzical and fascinated.

Seanfall
2013-02-25, 03:05 PM
The lighting Rail came to halt, steam and pent up magical essence filled the air for a moment hiding many of it's passengers as they disembarked. Gallant stood out among them, thick carved metal plates momentarily shining, wet from condensation. The other's gave him a wide berth, though a small girl and her family waved and smiled at him as they left the station the girl had a simple bracelet around her wrist made of multicolored strings. Gallant waved back, during the ride he had become bored and started weaving the string he kept with him, the little girl saw and he taught her how to make simple designs. The Bracelet she wore was one she had made.

A brief moment of joy flitted threw Gallant, than was swept away as he looked back towards the city. Sharn, city of towers, if he had to breath this is were he'd sigh. It had been years since he'd last been in Breland, and even longer since he'd seen this city. Returning to Breland was fine, it was the city that bothered him. It had none of the spirit of Flamekeep, though it was so large and full...to him it was empty.

"Morgrave." that was his destination. The voice of the flame had sent him, something important was there. Important enough for the flame to send someone to investigate, for the Church did not Trust an organization like Morgrave University. Perhaps it was nothing, but...Gallant couldn't help but possess a certain since of foreboding as he made his way into the city.

Traveling to Morgrave took sometime, it was not a place he had ever visited before. When the rail had come to a stop the sun was just starting to rise, by the time he arrived at University it was well into morning. No one made to bar his passage, apparently they had seen wilder things. As he made his way threw the halls he passed a slim red-haired human munching on something.

It took him sometime to find someone who looked senior enough, perhaps if he had known how to navigate this place he'd have found them sooner. An old looking Gnome standing over that same human he'd seen earlier. Making his was as the gnome seemed to berate the red head, he gave a polite cough and spoke to Dr. Phinneas Kessler.

"Excuse me, I was hoping you could help."

OMG PONIES
2013-02-25, 05:50 PM
Dr. Kessler

Phinneas' eyes don't leave the cover of Kooks' book. "Of course, child," he says in a callous monotone to the faceless voice behind his shoulder. "There's a directory in the front hallway," here he points to a distant corridor, "I trust that will aid you in finding whatever you seek. Now the High King," he returns to his discussion with Kooks with much more enthusiasm in his voice, "I surmise that you've caught a climpse of the new Q213 scroll, Ms. Kookali?"

boldfont
2013-02-25, 07:08 PM
Dr. Kessler

Phinneas' eyes don't leave the cover of Kooks' book. "Of course, child," he says in a callous monotone to the faceless voice behind his shoulder. "There's a directory in the front hallway," here he points to a distant corridor, "I trust that will aid you in finding whatever you seek. Now the High King," he returns to his discussion with Kooks with much more enthusiasm in his voice, "I surmise that you've caught a climpse of the new Q213 scroll, Ms. Kookali?"

Kooks eyes dart back and forth guiltily.
Uuuuuggghh Hullo Dr. Kessler Mr. Sir! I was just...

examining this Urn!

She turns it over in her hands thoughfully, pressing her index finger to her lips.

Hmmm... Fascinating. Very interesting crosshatching on this piece.

What the duce was crosshatching? Was that even a thing?

Ummm... As for the "tome", if you mean this booky thing, I found it - in - the -

hallway...

some other student must have left it there

*Coughs*

Bluff [roll0]

She stares for a his pruney head for a moment. She is both entranced with the number and variety of his wrinkles and trying to tell if he can tell that she is SOOoooooo lying.

here's your quill
she says with a sheepish grin as she pulls the elaborate feather out of her hair.

Another long awkward pause.

Scroll Q213 was super keen!
She says excitedly, hoping to redeem herself. My notes are ... over THERE! Kooks trips over herself trying to reach for them, sending the urn crashing to the ground in the process. She lies in the mess of shards and then pumps her fist up, with the crumpled ink splatted notes in hand, without lifting so much as her face from the floor.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-25, 08:53 PM
Fuming silently, Dr. Kessler raises an eyebrow at Kooks' confabulated story. Often, the amount of effort it took to decode her stories left one feeling as though they had hunted a grasshopper: tired, dizzy, and left with nothing of substance anyway. He snatches his quill pen from her and pinches it between his index finger and thumb, holding it at length as if it had been contaminated by being buried in Kooks' coif. He rubs it on his robe to remove the unseen dirt and tucks it into an inner pocket, then tugs strongly on his lapels.

"Young lady," he scolds, "that was a gift from...well, I suppose if I told you, that would just tempt you to pilfer it again. As for the urn, I admonish you to--" Kessler is unable to complete his thought (a common occurrence around Kooks) as the priceless relic crashes to the ground and scurries across the floor like a handful of jagged insects.

"I suppose my admonitions have been rendered moot," the educator says with a heavy sigh. He balances the book on top of his stack of papers and adds "I'll return this to the stacks before you manage to find a way to shatter it as well." He turns on his heels to leave, but a nagging curiosity pecks at his mind. The reason Phinneas had allowed Kooks to audit his class was that, despite her...intricacies, she was bright. While most other students were struggling to change enough words to hide their blatant plagiarism, there were a promising few that were actually learning and contributing insight of their own.

This year, the crop was surprisingly slim--Phinneas' TA Gregory was the only one who showed promise before Kooks arrived, but the girl had flashes of insight that often gave her a leg up over Gregory's long hours of arduous research. It was almost as if she had the ability to steal knowledge along with the trinkets she took, the fortunate luck to trip into wisdom as she careened through life. Her theories always approached the topic at hand from precisely the opposite direction as everyone else, and she shunned the de rigeur papers and bibliographies in favor of scrawled ramblings on napkins, torn pieces of parchment, and various other scraps. But damn it all if those scraps weren't absolutely delectable. He pinches her notes, once more holding them at length to avoid whatever disease he imagined her to carry. He squints and repositions his glasses, pulling the scraps of paper in close so he can read them. As he reads, he mumbles to himself, and words like fascinating, calumnious, and staggering escape from his lips.

As he finishes reading, Phinneas wants to ask Kooks if she had read Levkoff's treatise on the use of the old Draconic idiom "sits astride the ice," but he already knew that she didn't even know who Levkoff was. He's about to ask her a question about her position when he notices the lumbering metallic figure standing near them. "Hello, Forged," he says, a bit too loudly and slowly to be polite, "what is your directive?"

[roll0] for info on the "High King" or any such concepts in ancient history.
[roll1] to tell if Kooks is lying.

Rhyvurg
2013-02-26, 02:49 AM
Happening upon this scene, Gauntlet silently observes, wondering if it was a common trait among tiny folk to talk so much, and in the case of the female, to be such terrible liars.

boldfont
2013-02-26, 03:08 AM
Kooks peels herself from the floor and notices the giant war forged for the first time when Dr. Kessler addresses it. She is slightly ashamed by the way the good Doctor has addressed this beautiful sentient creature. Warforged have feelings too (except for the ones that a mindless killing machines; those don't have feelings or friends). She clearly can't reproach her senior for his insensitivity, however, and so she decides to impart the proper respect the forged deserves herself.
Good day to ye sire... How doo you doo?

She then makes a unrefined curtsy to the living construct by grabbing the hems of her baggy homemade trousers and doing a little dip. It is all very lady like.

Seanfall
2013-02-26, 03:35 AM
Gallant bristles a bit at the gnome's reaction to him, but he has been through worse and mere words were like water dripping on his armor to him. So he bent to his knee to look the gnome in the eyes.

"My name, Good sir, Is Gallant. I am a Knight of the Silver Flame my 'directive' as you put it, is currently to investigate this University in the name of the Holy Flame and it's church." Gallant stared at the gnome his face un-moving and devoid of any discernible emotion. He turns his head slightly to address the female. "I am fine, thank you for asking." after he speaks he again looks back to the gnome.

Lazy Genius
2013-02-26, 04:40 AM
Gregory had not slept last night. This wasn't uncommon, but this night was especially harsh on him, as he had discovered nothing he thought worth mentioning, nothing that he'd think Dr. Kessler didn't already know. So the conclusion of this being that he wasted a night and found out nothing worth spending an entire night on. Of course, he'd found out stuff that didn't interest Dr. Kessler, like more about his lineage, but unlike him, Dr. Kessler wasn't interested in absolutely everything, unfortunate as it was. He arrived to the current scene just in time to see kooks break the urn and he stood there, frozen. The reaction of Dr. Kessler was remarkably calm, and so Greg decided now was a good time to interrupt and make his presence known.

"Excuse me, Dr. Kessler?" He didn't actualy have anything to say, this was just his way of making sure Dr. Kessler, as well as anybody he was talking to, were aware of his presence. And what presence it was; he looked absolutely unremarkable, except for the fact that his fancy robes and jewelry gave him away as a man of status, and his arcane signet ring did nothing to disprove this. With a usual "Morning Kooks, always a pleasure." and a nod he acknowledged kooks there, and then finally turned to the last person he didn't know yet.

His curiosity getting the better of him, he immediately examined the warforged thoroughly, though not obviously and finally asked him. "May I be so bold as to inquire after your purpose, noble Warforged?" He did almost everything the same that kooks did, except he lacked a bow, as he considered himself higher in status and rank, so he treated the man with respect, but not reverence. He shook his hands when he talked to him, and smiled genuinely warm.

[roll0] to know where Gauntlet is from, or [roll1] to figure out which nation originally purchased him in the Last War.

Hmm, I got my warforged mixed up already, I meant Gallant, the one talking already. :smallwink::smalleek:

boldfont
2013-02-26, 10:24 AM
A cold and emotionless reply Kooks thought to herself. Oh dear! I hope this isn't one of those killy forges!

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2013-02-26, 03:33 PM
Duncan Thorne yawned openly as he stepped out his office door, rubbing sleep from his eyes. His sore muscles made him regret sleeping on campus again last night. He wondered briefly where Kooks had bunked down last night.

Making his way for the library, where he was sure to find Kessler, his mind turned again to the research they had been feverishly doing the last week. Everyone was getting burned out. Kessler had been shorter than usual with Gregory, and Kooks. And Duncan himself had found himself being less and less patient with the o,d man's doddering.

He turned to pass through the great arched doors of the library and stopped short. He quickly took in the scene. Broken urn, Kooks, Kessler and Gregory. That wasn't terribly unusual...but the 'Forged with them...and the other standing near the opposite door, no one had seemed to notice it yet. He walked up to the group slowly.

"Um...good morning...everyone..." he says, passing his gaze over all in the room, curiously.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-27, 08:56 AM
Dr. Kessler titters with nervous laughter at the Warforged's reply. As if with perfect timing, his godsend of an assistant stepped into the room. "Ah, yes, Gregory!" he practically exclaimed, looking for any reason to excuse himself from the construct's proximity, "Did you finish grading those quizzes? And how goes the research? What about that volume I special ordered from the University of Wynarn, has it arrived yet?" The questions come at Gregory without leaving any breaks for replies, but the young man is so familiar with Kessler by now that he can decode the old man's line of fire and hear the truth of the message behind it: I'm relying on you, Gregory. I appreciate everything you're doing, and couldn't function without your assistance. At least, Gregory hoped that he was decoding that properly; if not, the professor was a terror.

The old man steps to place his assistant between himself and Gallant, muttering about how there must have been upgrades to the intelligence module in a recent iteration of Warforged as he continues perusing Kooks' notes. As Duncan enters the room, Phinneas holds the scrap of paper out much like a child would show off a prized scribble. "Would you take a look at this, Dunc--" the professor stops himself from being overly familiar in the presence of students and continues, sheepishly, "er, Mr. Thorne? Ms. Kookali has contrived some daring suppositions and drawn some most interesting conclusions from the text of Q213. Would you have a read and give us your esteemed opinion?"

Suddenly, Kessler realizes that there's another warforged in the room--so help him, those machines were spreading like mold over bread. "Hello," he calls in his "polite" voice, "are you working with your fellow unit here?" The professor's train of thought was constantly chugging along, and so serpentine was its path that even the little gnome himself often found himself left on the metaphorical tracks. In fact, Dr. Kessler had almost forgotten about the first Warforged until he referred to the unit himself, and instantly he recalled what the surprisingly eloquent machine man had said. "Come again, er--Valent, was it? What would the Flame have to investigate here?" Asking such questions of investigators was practically a requirement of being on staff at Morgrave; as the school was no stranger to controversy, there was always an ongoing arbitration or inquiry into possible fraud looming over the head of whomever had most recently been published.

Rhyvurg
2013-02-27, 09:16 AM
If I had eyebrows this is where I would arch one in sarcastic contemplation.

"No. I have never met him before. I work here, at Morgrave University."

boldfont
2013-02-27, 10:26 AM
Kooks slips in beside Duncan and props her chin squarely on his shoulder, as she has been in the habit of doing whenever he is reading anything she has written. She's right never next to his ear she everything can be said in a whisper.

But it isn't.

You're not holding it upside down. There is no "upside" or "downside". I've written it in a vectored spiral pattern, see? That way the locations mentioned in Q213, here, here aaaannnnd here, line up geometrically with the other proper nouns of interest, here, here, here, herehereherehere and here. See? For ease of referrence.

She pauses, satisfied that her methodology must be obvious to anyone with a clear and organized mind.

That way, you can clearly make out the centralized premise of the theory, in the centre, which I believe I have proven by showing how it relates to each vector. See Dunkers?

Does he see?

The cat in the corner there is just a cat. I was bored.

Seanfall
2013-02-27, 03:19 PM
Gallant stood back up to his full height, his cape kept his sides and arms mostly hidden. Imagine the amount of cloth that it took to do that, his body moved in what could be considered a sigh. "The voice of the Flame, received a vision concerning this university. What the vision contained exactly is not for me to know. All I know is that the Voice of the Flame believes that something important or dangerous will come to light here. What ever it is must be something extraordinary for the Flame to send it's voice such a vision. Your university does not have the best reputation and so I was sent to investigate and discover what exactly it is and report back to the church."

Gallant thought for a moment before looking back towards the gnome. "And again, my name is Gallant."

OMG PONIES
2013-02-28, 08:52 AM
Dr. Kessler nods apologetically. "Ah, yes, GALlant. Apologies, forged; my advancing years and retreating senses have made picking up on names a little difficult." He smirks at the machine's name and its adherence to mission--warforged were nothing if not focused. However, when Gallant calls the reputation of Morgrave into question Phinneas wags a finger at the hulking machine. "True as that may be," he more chides than scolds, "the character of your Church isn't exactly sterling either...or would you have us forget the Lycan Scare caused by the Pure Flame synod of 832? Eradicated the noble werebear population of Khorvaire in one fell swoop, it did."

The awkward silence that follows is so palpable that even the usually clueless Phinneas can sense it. To soften the blow, he adds "Quod erat demonstrandum, we all have our, er...tarnish, and simply because something requires polish does not mean it's to be consigned to the scrap heap. Surely we can agree on that? As far as anything of import being afoot, we may have a unique insight into the most recently revealed passage of the Draconic Prophecy. What are your thoughts on the Prophecy?"

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2013-02-28, 01:40 PM
Duncan had, at first, turned the page this way and that. After hearing Kooks' explanation, he began to decipher it, his mind slowly turning over despite the earliness of the day.

"I see..." he nods, and runs his finger along the delicate lines made by the strings of words. Without looking up, he directs his voice to Phineas, "Kessler, did...did you read this?" he asks slowly. "The patterns and connections made between these phrases in their new form, here...and here...it...it shows promise. I might even..."

He finally looks up at Kooks, "I think I need to look somethings up, now...want to give me a hand, Kooky?"

Seanfall
2013-02-28, 02:10 PM
Gallant looks away from the gnome looking all around the library. "I was not involved in the purges. I only know what I have read in our Archives. And what was spoken to me by those who survived the battles. If the church willed that such creatures be slain, there must have a been a reason for it." Gallant busy's himself by straightening up several books, and arranging them back into alphabetical order. Anyone perceptive to such things could tell that this subject made him uncomfortable perhaps he was even...conflicted.

"As for the Prophecy, I know little of it personally. Others in my church put some stock into it. If this is part of the vision the Voice received then I suppose there must be some truth to it. We will see." Gallant bristles a bit at the mention of 'Tarnish'. It was probably just a colorful use of language on the gnomes part but still.

boldfont
2013-02-28, 02:11 PM
"I think I need to look somethings up, now...want to give me a hand, Kooky?"

At hearing the request for help Abigale Kookali's eyes light up! For seriously? She hops right to it, ducking under the massive 6' 5" frame of the warforged Gallant. She swoops up her trusty bag in one hand and stuffs a few left over sweet potato crisps from the floor into her mouth with the other hand. Like an eager puppy she stands at attention in front of Duncan, ready for a library adventure that will doubtlessly be much less exciting than whatever she imagines will happen.

mnph... Re-ey! She says through her mouthful of food.

Lazy Genius
2013-03-01, 04:27 AM
Upon the sudden outburst of speech from Dr. Kessler, Greg was obviously unfazed and reacted in a very mechanical, be if efficient way. "The quizzes have been graded, though some, much like Kooks' notes here, were nigh undecipherable." He said this with a slight smile in Kooks' direction, before continuing, "Research is on hold in favor of catching up on missed sleep from failed attempts last night to decode and translate the text of Q214." Gregory put specific emphasis on tahe fact that he was working on Q214, rather than Q213 which was currently in focus.

"And finally, the volume has not arrived yet, though I inquired and was told it would arrive within the coming week." When he finished, Greg stood up straighter as well, ans while not an imposing 6' 5'', Greg wasn't a small man, and formed quite a literal buffer between Dr. Kessler and Gallant, and seemed content with this. After all, he was still a Denieth. When the conversation turned to heavier topics, Greg decided to distract them and recognized Gauntlet in the corner for the first time. "Ah, Gauntlet, back again from your expeditions? Where was it you last went anyway? I forget."

Though he didn't actually forget, he simply wanted to hear it again mixing him in the conversation, affirming his statement that he worked here at Morgrave, and taking Dr. Kessler and Gallant's minds off the hostility they seemed to have for one another. Greg consciously stepped away from the two men in discussion, leaving a gap where he once stood between them, and walked over the Gauntlet, ignoring Kooks and Duncan altogether.

OMG PONIES
2013-03-01, 07:59 AM
Dr. Kessler gives one brisk nod in response to Gregory's answers. "Good, then. Keep it up," is all he says, but the student can read a world of compliments in the absence of any criticism from his professor. He is snapped to attention by Duncan's question, and has to fight to conceal a look of disdain. "Did I r--Well of course I read it, Dunk. What good would my scholarly endorsement be if I just went around slapping it on everything?"

Phinneas waits for the second warforged to respond to Gregory's questions. As the warforged responds, Kessler continues to use his "polite" voice with this unit. While Gallant showed signs of tremendous upgrades, he still wasn't sure about this other one...even though Gregory mentioned seeing him around. "So, Forged, do you know about the Proph-eh-cy?" Phinneas sounds out the last word, miming the motion of a scribe in the air in case the unit had difficulty with the selected vocabulary. As he waits for an answer, Phinneas mutters to Gregory, "Does this one have any upgrades, or is it as dense as the custodial units?"

Graham
2013-03-01, 02:59 PM
As you're all stood around arguing, Mardak, the one of the many librarians of the University enters the room in a hurry. Dr. Kessler! There you are. Have you been taking books from the library without checking them out again? You know you're not meant to do that!

boldfont
2013-03-01, 03:58 PM
As you're all stood around arguing, Mardak, the one of the many librarians of the University enters the room in a hurry. Dr. Kessler! There you are. Have you been taking books from the library without checking them out again? You know you're not meant to do that!

Abigale's mother always told her that if she kept making silly faces, then one day her face might freeze that way. The silly face that had been frozen on her lately was the "guilty and in trouble so I'd better get out of here" face. She was wearing it now.

Kooks wheeled herself behind Duncan and began pushing him forward with both hands on his back.

Come on Dunkers! We have some very important work to do that just can't wait. Let's go! (and on the way, maybe we can grab a razor boar burger or something...)

And off they both went to "look some things up", and if Kooks was whiny enough, maybe have a snack too.

Seanfall
2013-03-01, 04:10 PM
Gallant moves towards the main group of people. "What exactly did you uncover about the Prophecy?" He stands tall and straight but otherwise at ease.

Rhyvurg
2013-03-01, 04:55 PM
When the conversation turned to heavier topics, Greg decided to distract them and recognized Gauntlet in the corner for the first time. "Ah, Gauntlet, back again from your expeditions? Where was it you last went anyway? I forget."

"The Mournland, but I was unable to find anything of consequence. I maintain hope that the Cannith facilities there are intact enough to have worthwhile salvage."

Phinneas waits for the second warforged to respond to Gregory's questions. As the warforged responds, Kessler continues to use his "polite" voice with this unit. While Gallant showed signs of tremendous upgrades, he still wasn't sure about this other one...even though Gregory mentioned seeing him around. "So, Forged, do you know about the Proph-eh-cy?" Phinneas sounds out the last word, miming the motion of a scribe in the air in case the unit had difficulty with the selected vocabulary. As he waits for an answer, Phinneas mutters to Gregory, "Does this one have any upgrades, or is it as dense as the custodial units?"

"Which one? 87.5% of 'prophecy' discussions regard the draconic prophecy or some aspect of it."

boldfont
2013-03-05, 11:02 AM
Kook almost has Duncan out the door when she hears Gauntlet and stops. You have been to the Mournlands? She surveys the room. Duncan, Dr. Kessler, Gauntlet, Gallant, Greg, and herself. They all had something in common. They all wanted to know what it all meant.

We should go together. She said to herself and aloud. We should go on an expedition together! This time she announced it. Don't you see? The icy wastes of Xen'Drik? The High King Shaeras Vadallia???

Nothing (though likely out of shock from her theatrics).

The lands of the living (Khorvaire) shall be made dead (Uh, see the Mournlands. Hello?), and the lands of the dead (Xen'Drik) shall be once more made living (The repatriation by the elves). When bones turn to dust, and the High King once again sits astride the ice then the secrets of old discovered shall remake the world as it once was, and as it will be again.

She furiously pushes her way past Gregory and starts digging through a comically massive pile of plagerized papers, reaching a dusty loose brick. She pulls this brick out as she explains.

If I'm right, Duncan (clever man that he is) wanted to look up something out of the very anciet and valuable untitled tome that the university keeps under guard and on display two floors down. What Duncan doesn't know is that the book on display is just the cover of that text. The pages were cut out weeks ago and replaced with flyers for 20% off cockarice nuggets at Munster Burger. This is what Duncan wanted to look up.

She triumphantly pulls a collection of deteriorating pages bound together with shoelace and plops it in Greg's arms.

If you flip to the fifth dogeared page and look down to the underlined passage next to the drawing of a puppy, you will find our destination. The location where the secrets of old lie dormant waiting to be discovered and make the world new again. The place we should all go right now!!!

The group might not have been fully aware of it, but this was one of those flashes of genius. They were about to embark on an epic adventure together...

Read it she said confidently.

Mr Graham DM sir. This would be an excellent time to give us a unified goal. I do apologize for my de facto group control, but we need to get this on track. Let's get a quest, and then go on that quest. If I muddled your riddle up, please PM me and I will edit this post accordingly.

Graham
2013-03-05, 01:26 PM
As Kooks grabs up the secret book and flips it open, eventually pointing to a badly scrawled map referencing somewhere with a name like "Karonltka", though given the quality of the handwriting it could easily be anything, the librarian chimes in again: Ahem. I hope, whoever you are, I didn't just hear you admit to not only stealing a valuable book from the University, but also potentially permanently damaging it? Is it you then that has been taking other books from our libraries? And - more to the point - is it you who is responsible for the absence of J'Donth's essays on the border disputes between Karrnath and the Talenta Plains folk? I'm sure there's a class being taught on those - though goodness knows why - since there's so much demand for those essays all of a sudden, but they've gone missing. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes - those essays are the property of the library and should not be removed without permission. Now I demand you return them at once!

boldfont
2013-03-05, 02:10 PM
As Kooks grabs up the secret book and flips it open, eventually pointing to a badly scrawled map referencing somewhere with a name like "Karonltka", though given the quality of the handwriting it could easily be anything, the librarian chimes in again: Ahem. I hope, whoever you are, I didn't just hear you admit to not only stealing a valuable book from the University, but also potentially permanently damaging it? Is it you then that has been taking other books from our libraries? And - more to the point - is it you who is responsible for the absence of J'Donth's essays on the border disputes between Karrnath and the Talenta Plains folk? I'm sure there's a class being taught on those - though goodness knows why - since there's so much demand for those essays all of a sudden, but they've gone missing. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes - those essays are the property of the library and should not be removed without permission. Now I demand you return them at once!

Kooks wakes up to the fact that is her excitement she made a multitude of poorly chosen confessions, and as a result is now being implicated for something she actually didn't do. Classic. She turns to the librarian with the biggest phoney smile she can muster and prepares to turn on the charm.

Mardak! Have you lost weight?

He hadn't

Don't you recognize me? You asked me to investigate the missing books weeks ago!

He didn't

And LOOK at the results! Two valuable books found. Good job Mardak! That's the kind of forward thinking initiative that the university masters look for when considering librarians for a promotion...

No promotions were being considered

Now I can't say WHO would have skillfully pucked this book from its display stand while it was under watch (it must be the work of a professional) and cleverly ripped it from its cover. Nor can I say who made these BRILLIANT notations inside of it. But what I can tell you, Mardak you wise an magnificent man you, is that I will find the culprit. Dr. Kessler will attest to that.

She gives the aged gnome an emploring look that said "pleeze don't turn me in! We can keep this between us."

Big ole Bluff Check going on here [roll0] plus action point bonus [roll1]

Now, what is this I hear about essays gone missing? Where did you last see them, and what were they about?

Oh poop! Dr. Kessler was going to kill her as soon as this guy left.

Graham
2013-03-05, 02:33 PM
I, well, that is, yes of course. These essays? They belong down in the stacks along with the rest of his work. There's no record of anyone having them checked out at the moment, but they aren't there. As always in this place, it's almost certainly just some absent minded with a glare at the gnome professor who has borrowed them and forgotten to tell anyone, but you can't ever know until you know, if you see what I mean?

They aren't about anything of interest to most people really. As I'm sure you know, Absen J'Donth is an expert on the history of Karrnath and that area of the world, and this set of essays was about the cause and effect of border raids by the halfling tribes from the Talenta Plains on Karrnath, and how it has shaped the economy and military of the region. As far as I know, they haven't been touched in years, but somebody must be doing a class on the history of that area given the sudden demand for them.

Sense Motive: [roll0] - Needing a 20.

Rhyvurg
2013-03-05, 02:41 PM
"Theory: The sudden interest might be of nefarious intent and the alleged theft interferes with the plot. Or, much more unlikely, coincidence."

OMG PONIES
2013-03-05, 09:35 PM
How could he have missed it? When one studied the circumstances vis a vis the newest text, it was simple. Elementary, even. Why, Jacoby had been postulating about this very concept for at least five years, and there are even traces of it in the later volumes of Hendrick, following his accident. One could argue that--

Dr. Kessler realizes that he's getting lost in his thoughts and snaps back to reality just in time to miss Mardak's question. He listens quietly at Kooks' response and nods feebly. "Yes, I'm sure Ms. Kookali is aptly skilled to find whoever pilfered the--er, document--you seek." Silently, he adds most likely when she looks in the mirror. He flashes Mardak a smile and shoos him away with a word of encouragement. "We'll be sure to bring it by the librarian's cart as soon as it's recovered."

[roll0] BOOM!

Once Mardak was out of sight, Kessler sighs and rolls his eyes; it's amazing how such a small amount of power can have such a large effect on one's character. In the company of those he trusted, those he was forced to trust due to their improbable brilliance, and those he considered too dense to deceive, Phinneas speaks openly again. "While your theory about the repatriation of Xen'drik is an interesting one, Ms. Kookali, every good hypothesis requires peer review. You see, there is a lack of data to currently suggest any reference to a "land of the dead" would point to Xen'drik. Franz Hensel has often cited it as the Land of Sleeping Kings, and others have called it the Den of Slumbering Giants for decades, but never the land of the dead. Though it has a rich and storied past, the wild continent is still very much alive...simply unexplored. Instead, for further textual analysis we must turn to historical annals such as those published by the archivists of House Sivis on a biannual basis since..."

[roll1]
[roll2]

As the professor looks around the group, he realizes that their attention is drifting. "Er, perhaps it would help to stick to the fundamentals, yes? There is plenty of textual evidence drawing a parallel between 'the land of the dead' and either the Mournland or Karrnath. While there have been a slew of Cyran social movements to reclaim their former home, the circumstantial evidence at hand suggests that Karrnath, the first nation of Khorvaire, is the subject of attention. This makes sense, as even in the Pregalifarian epoch the necromantic prowess of the Karrnathi military was unrivaled. It was only when Jaius III..."

[roll3]
[roll4]

Kessler gauges the group once more, and realizes that even his opinion of the fundamentals wasn't high-level enough. He strokes his beard for a pensive moment and says, "Right, the basics. It's my scholarly opinion that the Land of the Dead mentioned in Q213 is Karrnath." His gaze meets Duncan's, and before the old explorer can try to cajole Phinneas into packing a haversack for a journey there, he backpeddles. "I'm sure we could find whatever we need if we can locate those essays...no need to even set foot off campus!"

boldfont
2013-03-05, 10:14 PM
Kooks was literally crawling the walls with boredom listening to Dr. Kessler's on-going life long lecture. She was hanging upside down from a sizable crate when Dr. Kessler finally lets up. Being polite was exhausting.

uh huh... but my theory isn't premised on the where. It is premised on the when. You're prolly right about the land of the dead thing... Either way, the answer to the when is very soon! The prophesy doesn't offer a where. The locations provide context for the events. when. So, res ipsa loquitur, to get a where in relation to the aforementioned secrets of old, we need to look outside the prophecy.[COLOR]

[COLOR="darkred"]Karonltka not Karrnath. See?

...she scratches her tangled nappy head.

Of course I've been wrong about a lot of things in my life ... Whatever! As long as we get to go on an adventure!

An' Guantlet is prolly right about other people being interested in this stuff. "Secrets of old" sound valuable. We should be careful.

Seanfall
2013-03-06, 01:00 AM
Gallant stood stock still as both the professor and the girl spoke a lot of information was being bandied about the room, and frankly it was largely lost on the Paladin. But from what he could gather from the speech, something very bad involving dead lands, and a high king was about to happen and soon. Gallant raised a hand, "I apologize for interrupting this... conversation. From what you are saying I take it this newly discovered piece of the prophecy is an ill omen? And from the wording you have spoken of...I have to say I do not think it is Karranth. It speaks of the dead rising the dead of that nation have long been risen."

Gallant was speaking and looking towards both kooks and the Gnome Professor but as they and he bring up Karranth his thoughts go back to that storm filled night as he and hundreds of other Warforged held the line against an army of undead soldiers. His blade met with a rusted axe and a zombie screamed in his face.

Snapping back to the present, gallant shook his head and looked back up to those he was speaking to.

Lazy Genius
2013-03-06, 06:38 AM
Gregory, silent and appalled that Kooks had come up with an answer before him, decided to mingle himself in the conversation. Though unlike most other people, he'd listened intently to what the professor had to say, and understood every wrod of it. When it was the warforged to mention the dead of Karrnath had already risen, he nodded in agreement, still silent.

In a fit of genius, Gregory mumbled "It's Oargev." Then, without reading the text he had in front of him, he abruptly looked up at each of the people present, and explained his thoughts in as simple words as he could. "Don't you see? 'The Lands of the living shall be made dead,' Kooks pointed out Khorvaire and the Mournlands, but it could very well be just Cyre, and a play on words, Cyre was the main place House Cannith made the Constructs, neitherliving nor dead. This could mean the whole thing is a play on words. 'and the lands of the dead shall be once more made living.' This, while it could point to Xen'drik, might be pointed at Karrnath and their Undead, and they be made living again in the sense that the undead are cleaned up, they be made mortal. 'When bones turn to dust,' when the Karrnath undead have been cleansed, 'and the High King once again sits astride the ice' When the rightful scion and descendant of Galifar ir'Wynarn, the same as the last king of Galifar Jarot is once again crowned. Following that lineage we have Mishann of Cyre, then Brusst, Connos, Dannel, and finally Oargev, who survived the Day of Mourning and is still alive today. 'then the secrets of old discovered shall remake the world as it once was, and as it will be again' this means that Khorvaire will unite in a single kingdom once again, under rule of the currently exiled King of Cyre Oargev ir'Wynarn." He got very excited after all this, closing the tome kooks had given him with a loud [THUMP] for emphasis. "At least, that's my interpretation."

So, Knowledge to pull that off:
[roll0]
Hmm, don't know if I can pull that off with a check of 18, but it's merely one lineage, I'll wait and see, possibly change the post later if necessary.

Seanfall
2013-03-06, 02:22 PM
A metallic hand rubbing his chin Gallant muses over this for a moment. "You brought up the Mournland, and Cyre...this exiled king is king in name only." Gallant looks around the room for a moment. "The Mournland is a dead land as you say...but the one who currently rules there...in so far as anyone can. Is the King of Blades. Perhaps he factors into this prophecy somehow?" Gallant shrugged as he offered this thought. "Many of my fellows disappeared into the Mournland after the Treaty set us free. Alas...they did not find the guiding flame as I did."

Rhyvurg
2013-03-06, 03:04 PM
"What about Icewhite Island or Frostfell?"

Graham
2013-03-06, 03:15 PM
Realising that the crowd seem to be ignoring him again, the librarian mutters under his breath Just make sure you do bring them back before I see you again and wanders off, presumably to find more people to hassle.

boldfont
2013-03-06, 04:27 PM
Kooks slumps down, sitting on the floor with her back to the crate. She feels defeated.

Man! Prophesies are complicated. It could mean anything, I guess. I guess we aren't going on an adventure after all...

She sighs.

UNLESS...

Kooks chases after the librarian with youthful vigor. What was his name? Mukluk? Malbec? Mellon? Whatever his name was, he had something for Kooks to do. Chasing paper was hardly an adventure, but it was better than nothing.

hey! Hey you, Marklark! Stop!

She catches her breath.

Tell me more. Tell me who would have access to these papers. Who checked them out last? Anything. Everything.

Graham
2013-03-06, 05:13 PM
The librarian eventually realises Kooks is shouting after him and stops. The name is Mardak! It's really not that hard to remember someones name! Now, you're still interested in those essays? I can't imagine why. J'Donth was a genius, but really not very good at writing. Anyone has access to them really. They're not in the private collections. But people should check them out if they want to remove them from the library! It's just not on taking them away without signing them out. How is anyone meant to find anything if people do things like that?

boldfont
2013-03-06, 06:34 PM
The librarian eventually realises Kooks is shouting after him and stops. The name is Mardak! It's really not that hard to remember someones name! Now, you're still interested in those essays? I can't imagine why. J'Donth was a genius, but really not very good at writing. Anyone has access to them really. They're not in the private collections. But people should check them out if they want to remove them from the library! It's just not on taking them away without signing them out. How is anyone meant to find anything if people do things like that?

This... was disappointing to poor Kooks.
So they're not even valuable? Aw Man! They probably have nothing to do with the prophecy.

...not ... that I care. Don't worry! I'm your finder and I'll find 'em!

Yeah right. If it didn't have anything to do with the prophecy, she didn't care. Some freshman probably took them. It seemed to Kooks that the puzzle of the prophecy could mean anything. Everyone in the group had made good, but conflicting, points.

She headed back to her friends, sulking.

Seanfall
2013-03-08, 03:13 PM
Gallant looks around to the assembled peoples. "Wherever this leads I am duty bound to follow. And as I am not well versed in such lore..I will leave you all to it." Gallant turns to go, "I'll return later after I send a message, I feel that their is something to this prophecy and must investigate further." Gallant heads out of the university and begins to head towards the nearest House Sivs (outpost, Messaging center?)

Graham
2013-03-08, 03:45 PM
There is a small House Sivis Messaging Centre in the University District, only a few minutes walk away from where you started from.

Seanfall
2013-03-09, 01:11 AM
It doesn't take long for the Warforged to arrive the Sivis messaging Centre. Upon arriving he looks for someone who can help him, he approaches any gnome who bears the houses seal. ""Excuse me. I need to send a message to Thrane. Flamekeep to be specific."

Graham
2013-03-09, 06:16 AM
The gnome who you approach looks to be in a hurry, but when she sees the towering hulk of a warforged with an urgent message to be sent, she stops to assist you. Message to Flamekeep? That's no problem sir. To a specific person or a specific destination? And do you need translations done... No, of course you don't. What about protection of your message from outside eyes? Whilst here at House Sivis we can guarantee your message will reach its destination, once it's there it's the receivers concern to protect it. For 5gp your message can be sent to the message station of your choice in Flamekeep, to be collected by the named recipient. For 250gp your message can be delivered directly to the recipients ears with no intervening deliveries necessary.

Seanfall
2013-03-09, 01:59 PM
Gallant nodded as he listened to the gnome. "I need it sent directly to his ear. It's too important to allow the chance of interference." Gallant removed 250 gold from his pack, and once the gnome was ready preceded to layout the message. "This is to be sent to Devros Knight of Thrane." The message itself, "Devros, I have arrived safely at the college It seems the Voice's Vision was indeed true. There is something happening here, a part of the Draconic Prophecy that speaks of dark tidings. The ones whom I met are considering an expedition Most likely to either Xen'dirk or the Mournlands. I feel duty bound to follow and investigate further. I have sent this to you, my friend, because I trust you. May the Silver Flame lend both of us it's strength." After laying out the message he laid the gold down for the gnome.

"Is their anything else you need to know to assure this message arrives?" Gallant is at ease, and spoke in a calm measured tone...as calm and measured as a Warforged can manage.

Graham
2013-03-09, 02:06 PM
No sir. It will be sent within the day, on the word of House Sivis. Are there any other services you require?

Seanfall
2013-03-10, 12:26 AM
Gallant shook his head. "No thank you, you've been quite helpful." Gallant gave a small bow. "May the light of the silver flame guide you through the dark." Straightening gallant turned to leave and walked out of the Centre. He made to walk back but stopped moving to a railing and looking out over the city and up into the sky.

When was I last here?...ah yes...once we were freed. My unit and I came here trying to decide what to do. He thought back to them, it had been a while since he had seen anyone from those days. Back than they were called 'The inescapable, the Inexorable', line-breakers, siege-breakers. The Juggernaughts. It was they who formed the tip of the spear the sword driven deep into the enemy line. How often had gallant found himself covered in gore. During the battle with Karnath he and his group had pierced deep into the undead line. Back to were the Sorcerer's and Wizards of that nation hid, and he had along with the others slaughtered them without mercy.

"Have I really change?" He spoke to himself, even though he was probably in the midst of a large group of people. He felt the glory of the flame, it's purity and mercy deep within him. But he lacked the skill, the raw charisma to express it in anything but the strength of his sword arm. "It is enough." he decided and moved on, heading back to the College mulling what the group had found as he did.

Knowledge Religion: [roll0]
Knowledge Royalty/Nobility [roll1]

He's just mulling over everything and putting it together with what he knows.

Graham
2013-03-11, 04:39 PM
As Gallant returns back to the College, he reaches the room the others are in just in time to catch a couple of people listening at the door, and just in time to see a third one come back from down the corridor and join them.

Seanfall
2013-03-11, 05:35 PM
Gallant was plumbing his own knowledge of religion, royalty and the like. When it occurred to him that perhaps the reference to dirt, referred to the Lords of dust. Fiend's and their twisted servants, a mass raising of the dead and throwing the world into chaos was just up their alley after all.

Gallant stopped as he saw those students listening at the door. Having a rare moment of humor, he slid up to the door and pressed a side of his head against it, then tapped a student on his shoulder and whispered as best he could, "What are we listening to?

Graham
2013-03-12, 07:42 AM
The guy jumps as you disturb him, and just stares at you and stammers in response I... We... That is... We...

boldfont
2013-03-12, 06:25 PM
...Some time has passed from when Gallant last left to send his message. In the interim the group continues the debate of what the prophecy meant ad nauseum...

So we are agreed that it can't possibly be an except or fanfiction from the classic Karrnathian tales of "Miska of the Tradewinds"? Right?

Kooks tosses yet another book onto the exclusion pile. They had checked out well over a hundred scrolls and books on anything they thought might be related to the prophecy while Gallant went to deliver his message. Kooks was insistant that they put their noggin's together and figure it out. She reasoned that the finest minds in the land (and Gauntlet) were in one room and they ought to be able to figure it out. She was tenacious! In other words, she was foisting her boredom onto them.

Nor can it be historiographical fiction.

And another set of scrolls is added to the pile.

And you are sure you don't like my theory about Orcs smoking milkweed and writing whatever comes to mind? Professor? Gregory? No? Dunkers?

Silence and exhaustion was her answer.

Well, you have to admit it would have been funny. Heh heh...

No one thought it was funny.

Alright then... Come on people! (and deathbots) We're supposed to be scholars here! This is a mystery. It should be irresistible!
So! We have eliminated all the fraudulent and fictional possibilities. That means this thing is legit! We are getting somewhere! (sort of)

"...and the High King once again sits astride the ice." The word "again" bothers me. Did that desert dwelling freak ever sit on ice? The prophecy couldn't be saying that Shaeras Vadallia is going to march the forces of Valenar over the Talenta Plains and conquer Karnnath to boot, could it? 'Cus ya know they hate each other and they have ice and undead stuff up there.
... sigh Nevermind... I give up.

I'm just-
I'm just going to go and see if I can get Professor Angelmier to cry in class again... I'm sorry I kept you all here with all my stupid theories.

*sniff* :smallfrown:

i guess i'm not very useful after all sir

i'll have these books repaired and put back properly first thing tomorrow... again, sorry...

And with that she began sulking off to Professor Angelmier's class on Historical Breland Pre-War Impressionist Sculpting. She was planning to use Mage Hand to move his chair out from under him again.

Graham
2013-03-12, 06:45 PM
As kooks opens the door to leave, she finds Gallant and a couple of other people crouched down as if eavesdropping on things going on inside. Confronted with first the warforged and now this, the two give up any pretence and do their best to flee.

boldfont
2013-03-13, 09:33 AM
As kooks opens the door to leave, she finds Gallant and a couple of other people crouched down as if eavesdropping on things going on inside. Confronted with first the warforged and now this, the two give up any pretence and do their best to flee.

It took a few seconds to process what was happening. Open door, see crouching people, hidden message, surprised, and running. This adds up to... caught eavesdroppers! She looks at Gallant, still crouched by the door. Why would he leave the room and the conversation just to eavesdrop on the conversation he was already part of? Warforged. I'll never understand.

She began to give chase (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHECVnQC7A). After a few steps, she turned and saw her friends weren't following.

C... Bu... loo...
THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!

And she resumed chase. She couldn't help feeling she had forgotten something important for these sorts of enterprises. Meh. Whatever.
Adventure! she thought.

OMG PONIES
2013-03-13, 11:54 AM
Dr. Kessler

The little gnome is lost in thought as he studies the documents that the group had been discussing. While he was tempted to discredit their uninformed theories immediately, he had learned long ago that the Prophecy was unlike other fields; it sometimes spoke through unexpected prophets, moved through unexpected channels, and opened unexpected doors. The scholar Abraham Hensel had captured it best decades ago when he wrote "Prophecy that does not surprise is no prophecy at all." So then perhaps the expected answer in Q213 is precisely antithetical to that which...

THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!

The scream shakes Phinneas from his reverie, nearly causing the texts he was carrying to fly from his hands. He fumbles with them for a moment, but is satisfied that he's managed to keep at least his wits. "There are proper channels for disciplinary action, Ms. Kookali," the professor drones, "as one can file an infraction with the Dean of Students. His office is..." Dr. Kessler reaches into his robe to retrieve a pen in order to give her directions through the serpentine corridors of the faculty offices, but finds that his pen is missing once more--and Kooks along with it, that rapscallion! Dr. Kessler joins the chase, waddling madly after them (more in pursuit of his prized writing utensil than any meddlesome students).

Seanfall
2013-03-13, 01:44 PM
Gallant stood up and made to speak to Kooks, than she yelled out and started to chase the students. He shrugged, than the Gnome came running out chasing Kooks, chasing the students. He made to speak to him, but lost his chance as well, Shrugging he decided he'd have to catch up to one or the other. And so began to run after the Gnome, running after Kooks, chasing the students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Rhyvurg
2013-03-13, 02:16 PM
"What is going on? Why are we chasing people?"

Lazy Genius
2013-03-13, 04:15 PM
Greg was looking at all this with interest, and he got excited when he saw that the students were running, with a frantic kooks behind them, chasing them, with Dr Kessler chasing her, and then Gallant chasing Dr. Kessler. In the end, he decided it was impractical to have one person chase another, and then another, and went after the students as well. In the end, this produced the effect of him chasing Gallant, who was chasing Dr Kessler, who was chasing Kooks, who was chasing the students, but in his head, it seemed so much more efficient.

Since we're in the mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqg3l3r_DRI :smallwink:

Graham
2013-03-15, 07:46 AM
The two people crouching down by the door see the warforged, and then the door open, and bolt away. One of them stumbles over his feet trying to get away and easily gets caught by Gregory and Dr. Kessler as he barely manages to remain upright. The other person however manages to get a clear run down the corridor and is at the corner with Gallant and Kooks barely managing to keep up with him.

boldfont
2013-03-15, 09:04 AM
Kooks narrows her eyes and wears a grin. This was more like it! After the first student falls she makes the decision to continue to chase the second. Gregor and the Doc could handle that one. She saw Gallant keeping pace with her and thought Oh no you don't! He's mine!. But the "student" was crafty, deeking in and out of pillars, through a crowd, and up a wall. Fine with her! Shehad been looking for a chance to practice her parkour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Uw_Dqaf9M).

[roll0]

Seanfall
2013-03-15, 12:02 PM
Gallant was somehow able to keep pace with Kooks and the last student, despite the huge armor plates that continued to rattle as he ran. Though he would eventually get left behind, as he just wasn't fast enough in the end.

[roll0]

Graham
2013-03-15, 01:03 PM
Barely keeping ahead of the two chasing him, the student ducks down a corridor and out through a set of doors onto the street outside of the University itself, mere seconds before Kooks and Gallant. At this time of day there's a fair few people around, but unfortunately for him not enough to actually get lost in.

OMG PONIES
2013-03-15, 01:17 PM
Dr. Kessler

The tiny gnome's chest is heaving as he glares over his spectacles at the slower student, but it's hard to tell whether he's seething with anger or simply struggling to catch his breath. "Hopefully there's a reasonable explanation for your intrusion, young man," he scolds, waiting for a reply.

boldfont
2013-03-15, 01:42 PM
Kooks continues continues her high speed pursuit through Morgrave University. All halls and crowds she thinks to herself. If it was me, I would totally have turned left back there and run over top the student's desks during Prof Vash's exam. Some people have no sense of style on the run. And to complete that thought she does a completely surperfluous airiel somersalt over the next obsacle.

Run (dex) [roll0]
Endanger the mission by showing off (Tumble) [roll1]

Graham
2013-03-18, 07:50 AM
Kooks and Gallant
The student continues running down the street, dodging through the gaps between people but somehow not managing to lose the hulking warforged hot on his tail. Kooks did seem to fall behind however, until with a sudden burst of speed she manages to leap through and catch right up again, if a little unsteady on the landing.

Student dex: [roll0] to keep up

Kessler
What intrusion? You can't pr... I've not done anything wrong! Let me go!

OMG PONIES
2013-03-18, 08:02 AM
Kessler
What intrusion? You can't pr... I've not done anything wrong! Let me go!

Kessler smiles, but it is an oddly wry smirk that provides no solace to the eavesdropper. Instead, the boy finds himself fighting off a sensation of dread as Phinneas bares down on him.

"I don't think you realize the precarious position you find yourself in, son. Hardly a man that finds himself dangled from a ledge in Skyway wishes to be let go, lest he find himself missing every ledge on the way down and dashed among the Cogs. I have half a mind to let you go straight to the Dean; he doesn't take kindly to students dropping eaves on tenured faculty, whether there was any actual offense or not. So, you can answer my questions or find the Dean asking plenty of his own...the choice is yours. Now, what was so fascinating that it was worth snooping, boyo?"

[roll0] plus any bonuses granted by using school discipline as an incentive :smallamused:.

Graham
2013-03-18, 08:17 AM
Kessler
Ok! Ok! I'm sorry! We heard you talking about the prophecy is all, and, well, there were men in The Beard down below who were promising payment for any information on that!

Vs Intimidate: [roll0]
Seriously? He's scared of a gnome? :)

boldfont
2013-03-18, 09:14 AM
Run check [roll0]

After falling on her face because she tried to do some fancy acrobatics during the chase, Kooks decides that she had better take this a little more seriously. She conservatively keeps pace with the student.

Seanfall
2013-03-18, 02:35 PM
Gallant mused to himself that he would probably be tired and gasping for breath were he made of softer things, instead he did feel something akin to weariness but it was mostly the strain on his body and not any out and out organic weariness.

"Calm yourself student, no harm shall come to you." gallant calmly called out, of course the veracity of that statement coming from a 6 foot tall warforged covered in adamantite plates was up for debate.

Graham
2013-03-21, 07:11 AM
Still managing to keep just ahead of his pursuers, but not managing to shake them at all, the student eventually gets far enough to have reached the much busier Seventh Tower district and away from the University altogether.

Gallant Dex - to keep things moving: [roll0]
Student Dex - if still needed: [roll1]

At this point, if you want to continue the chase then you need to bear in mind that there are a lot more people around, and you are getting further and further away from the others. It's only been a few minutes of running, but it's a different district now of Upper Menthis.

boldfont
2013-03-21, 09:34 AM
Kooks felt like her lungs were going to explode! Who the heck was this guy? What was his major, running? She wasn't really paying attention to where he (or she, Kooks didn't get a good look at the face) was leading them. She was too intent on winning to think of anything else. Tired Gallant? she tried to say, but all that came out was Uuugggghhhggallnnnaaannnt? She had no breath for speaking. Sweat dripped out her her pores like rain.

Lets continue this. I just sacrificed a once a day ability to remain in the chase after all. Here's hoping!
[roll0]
God Damn it!

Seanfall
2013-03-21, 01:06 PM
Gallant brought himself to a halt as the student apparently left the school grounds. What in the nine hells am I doing? Gallant shook his head for a moment and than began walking back to the professor and the others who hadn't taken off. "Must have been one of those reflexes..." He shrugged to himself as he mad his way back.

Graham
2013-03-22, 07:23 AM
Kooks

Dodging into the crowds, the student tries to blend in and evade capture.

Student dex: [roll0]
Student hide: [roll1]

Because of the crowds, if you don't make your Dex roll of 12 this time you'll need a Spot check against 6s to find him in the crowd again.

I'm really starting to despair at the awful rolls in this chase! :)

Gallant
You make it back to the university to find Dr Kessler has caught the other student and is questioning him, quite successfully it would appear.

boldfont
2013-03-22, 09:11 AM
Kooks gave it her all and vowed to stop eating so much fried foods. One leg after the other.

Dex [roll0]

Come out Come out Where ever you are... she said under her breath as scanned the crowd.

Spot [roll1]
Seriously? A 7 and a 9? Its like the battle of the gimps! :smallmad:

OMG PONIES
2013-03-28, 05:11 PM
Dr. Kessler

Kessler
Ok! Ok! I'm sorry! We heard you talking about the prophecy is all, and, well, there were men in The Beard down below who were promising payment for any information on that!

Seriously? He's scared of a gnome? :)

*aHEM* Dr. Kessler clears his throat to grab the attention of all present, and wonders aloud, "What's become of Ms. Kookali and the first Forged? For the best, I suppose--she's probably hoodwinked him into playing unwitting accomplice on some nefarious caper or other. This boy here," he sharply addresses the student he gnabbed, "says there are men at the Dwarves' Beard paying for information about the Prophecy. While I'm loathe to visit the slums of Downstairs whenever I can stand it, my curiousity is piqued to see what interest the Prophecy holds for these bougeousis. Our new friend here will tell us all about his potential employers, and then perhaps we shall pay them a visit of our own to enlighten them, yes?"

[roll0] to intimidate the boy into joining us (if needed)
[roll1] to identify anyone he names or describes
[roll2]

Upon hearing the professor's hoity-toity attitude, the student finds him far less menacing. While Phinneas had no desire to travel off-campus, it seemed that this new revelation had already grown larger than intelligensia. If he wanted to unravel the truth, it seemed he would finally have to get his hands dirty with something besides ink. With a sigh, Phinneas looks over his glasses to the boy. "So boyo," he exhales dejectedly, "what'll it be?"

Lazy Genius
2013-03-30, 08:46 AM
Greg caught up with the pair of smaller humanoids just as the boy mentioned the Beard, and then Kessler confirming what Greg thought he remembered he heard about it, and it seemed obvious. If people at the Beard are curious about the prophesy, and we don't know much to begin with, we might as well go there, and find out what they know, for better or for worse. They can't force too much information out of us anyway. With this pessimistic view of their knowledge and grim foresight, Greg nodded when Dr. Kessler proposed they go. "Indeed, I think it best we pay them a visit, see what they're up to. However, while it is bad to lie, we can tell the truth and still have misdirection readily available." And then, adressing the boy, Greg meant to be a bit demeaning and overpowering, because he knew that when the professor tried, it often went the other way. "Kid, did they tell you a specific time you ahd to be back and report? Because you can go there, tell them what you found out, withholding the best parts, assess their strength to see if we can take them."

Now adressing the whole group present, he continued, "from there on, there are two possibilities: First, we can overpower and overwhelm them, thereby gaining control of their base of operations as well as their intelligence network. Second, the option I personally find much more likely, is that they are stronger than us and we need to infiltrate and intimidate them so they either don't know they gave us information, or they don't know we exist. Both outcomes are good. The chance of success if we execute this plan I estimate to be around" and he paused a bit to calculate the odds, and to add weight, "83%."

I'm guessing intelligence check to make the calculation? Which, in truth (OOC), is totally random.

[roll0]

Seanfall
2013-03-30, 10:12 PM
After getting lost and turned around several times Gallant finally stumbled back upon Greg and some of the others he quickly dusted himself off. "I'm sorry about that, did I miss anything? Has a solution been found an a path decided upon?"

boldfont
2013-03-31, 01:04 PM
Kooks continues the pursuit, concerned that if she allows the second student to escape will give warning to whatever super secret spy network he works for.

I already made my roll and I'm waiting on you. If this is dragging on, then you have my blessing to roll for both of us to a conclusion and be done with it.
Please come back Graham. I know it's Easter, but family sucks and D&D loves you... :smalleek:

Graham
2013-04-05, 02:39 AM
Kooks

The student tries to slip into a crowd and duck away from the chase, but unfortunately doesn't do a very good job at hiding and is just standing out enough to be spotted.

He's slowed down to hide, and he's not hidden very well, so you've basically caught him :)

Others
Feeling slightly emboldened all of a sudden, Just go and ask for Jarak. He'll sort you out. Now let me go! You can't keep me here!

Rhyvurg
2013-04-05, 04:45 AM
Gauntlet looms large behind the boy. "You would be surprised what I can do, tiny, soft little mortal."

boldfont
2013-04-05, 09:01 AM
Kooks, feeling pissed that she had to chase this punk all the way out into the streets, takes retributive action. Having caught the student by the sleeve, she turns him around to slug him in the face. :smallfurious:

Punch [roll0] if hits [roll1] non-lethal
Intimidate [roll2] (Circumstance bonus?)

Get down on the ground NOW Jerkface!!!

Graham
2013-04-05, 11:03 AM
Kooks

The hit square across the face drops the student to the floor, drawing a small crowd of people to stare at what's going on. Please don't... don't kill me...

I'm not even bothering to roll against that. The absolute best I could do wouldn't be enough...

boldfont
2013-04-05, 12:23 PM
Nothing to see here folks! Move along. This man is under arrest for... being a bad guy.
She ties his hands behind his back using her scarf.
Let's go Bubs.

Bluff the crowd [roll0]
Use "rope" on the "perp" [roll1]
Groan! :smallmad:

Graham
2013-04-05, 01:18 PM
Kooks

You tie the students hands together behind his back, as securely as you can under the pressure. As you're doing this, amidst a lot of muttering, the small crowd decides they have better things to do elsewhere, just in case you actually are official.

Vs Bluff: [roll0]

boldfont
2013-04-06, 02:10 PM
Kooks pushes the spy (as she's started to think of him as) along until they get back to her friends.
Don't even think about taking off again.
She shoves him down next to the other dirty spy.
Now...
These are my killbot friends. Mr. Gallant and Mr. Gauntlet. I want to know everything, or they're going to tear you arms off. And me?
She leans in for a whisper
I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL...

Bluff [roll0]
Intimidate [roll1] (Synergy bonus?)

OMG PONIES
2013-04-06, 08:48 PM
Dr. Kessler

Phinneas raises a hand to stop Kooks from continuing her charade any further. "That won't be necessary, Ms. Kookali," he says in his usual monotone, "we have an appointment with Master Jarak at the Beard in Downstairs to attend to." He raises an eyebrow at the students and wags his finger as he adds, "The amputations will have to wait until later. As for you two, stay to the upper districts where you're away from negative influences." Satisfied (deluded?) that his tongue-lashing has steered them back to the straight and narrow, he turns on his heels and calls over his shoulder: "Heading back to drop these essays in my office. Gregory, get my coat! We're heading...downstairs." One can practically hear him shudder as he says the last word.

[roll0]
[roll1] to identify Jarak

boldfont
2013-04-06, 09:06 PM
Dr. Kessler

Phinneas raises a hand to stop Kooks from continuing her charade any further. "That won't be necessary, Ms. Kookali," he says in his usual monotone, "we have an appointment with Master Jarak at the Beard in Downstairs to attend to." He raises an eyebrow at the students and wags his finger as he adds, "The amputations will have to wait until later. As for you two, stay to the upper districts where you're away from negative influences." Satisfied (deluded?) that his tongue-lashing has steered them back to the straight and narrow, he turns on his heels and calls over his shoulder: "Heading back to drop these essays in my office. Gregory, get my coat! We're heading...downstairs." One can practically hear him shudder as he says the last word.

[roll0]
[roll1] to identify Jarak

Kookali is positively flabbergasted that Finny is actually going to let two super spies go! What was all that running and chasing and punching for? Nothing?

Wha? But-I have questions. They need answers. We can't just let them loose.

At least let me tie them up!

Seanfall
2013-04-06, 11:22 PM
Gallant finally stumbles upon Kooks and the Professor. "Oh finally...I've been looking all over for someone." Gallant takes a moment to take in the sight before him. "You captured one, did you learn anything important? Anything I can help with?"

boldfont
2013-04-06, 11:29 PM
Gallant finally stumbles upon Kooks and the Professor. "Oh finally...I've been looking all over for someone." Gallant takes a moment to take in the sight before him. "You captured one, did you learn anything important? Anything I can help with?"

Pfft! Yeah! You can pull this one's arms off if he doesn't talk soon.

Graham
2013-04-07, 03:34 AM
Wait! Stop! He said to let us go! You wouldn't hurt us!

Seanfall
2013-04-07, 03:51 AM
Pfft! Yeah! You can pull this one's arms off if he doesn't talk soon.

If he Gallant could scowl he would, "I am a paladin of the Silver Flame, and though I will admit that my church is not innocent we do not torture captives." Gallant advances on them and he looks down to Kooks. "If that was your Idea of a joke I do not find it funny, and you would be well advised to keep such barbaric thoughts to yourself."

Rhyvurg
2013-04-07, 05:12 AM
"That's alright, I'll do it."

boldfont
2013-04-07, 11:57 AM
It was her idea of a joke, and the fact that Gallant didn't think it was funny made it all the more hilarious to her. She was just holding in the giggles when Gauntlet offered to pull the spy's arms off. Well that did it! Kooks started howling.
Blahahahaha! Whooo...
Yeah! And tie his legs in a knot while you're at it, will ya?
Now suddenly deadly serious and uncomfortably close to the young man's face
You better talk mister!

Rhyvurg
2013-04-07, 08:24 PM
Gauntlet grabs the kid's legs. He might not be aware it's a bluff.

Graham
2013-04-08, 12:15 PM
Ok! Stop! Stop! I'll tell you! What do you want to know?! The student is panicking at this point and struggling to get away with his legs intact.

Intimidate: [roll0]
Vs: [roll1]

boldfont
2013-04-08, 12:33 PM
YAY! He's going to talk! We totally interrogated this guy! See Professor Finny? You can't be too nice to these terrorist types. Kooks hops up and down with excitement making small rapid mini-claps.
Ooo Gauntlet Honey, you can put his legs down now. Thank you.
Now... What do I want to know? Start by telling me where Mr. Absen J'Donth's scrolls are, then tell me who sent you and why (I hope your story matches with this guy... jus sayin') Tell me where you were going to meet them, if there is a password or some code we need to know (gonna want that) anything at all you know about the latest dragon prophecy... and then you can tell me why you stole Greg's lunch yesterday. That was very bad of you.

Graham
2013-04-09, 01:24 PM
What scrolls? What lunch? I don't know what you're talking about! We just heard some guys wanting any details on the prophecy, and Jad overheard you lot talking about it! That's all! I swear!

boldfont
2013-04-09, 02:23 PM
Greg, he's lying. He totally took your lunch.
Kooks looks to the others.
What did ya find out from this other one? Do their stories match up?
Skipping the exposition
The others explain and Kooks nods her head sagely.
Let's go see this Beard fella then. You two, stay here. Or I'll come and getcha! grrr

OMG PONIES
2013-04-09, 07:25 PM
Dr. Kessler

"Actually," the professor interjects with a raised index finger, "you two should get either get to class if you're students or leave the premises if you're not."

Phinneas sighs and tosses a sideways glance at Kooks. "It helps to keep one's facts straight, Ms. Kookali. The Beard is a place--a tavern with no small measure of ill repute--and Jarak is the man we seek there. So," he says with a deeper sigh, "shall we get this over with? I'd hope to be back before nightfall, as I've got some reading to do and I'm sure Gregory still has papers to score. Are we off?" He starts for his office without waiting for a reply from the others, expecting nothing more than silent nods.

Seanfall
2013-04-09, 10:55 PM
"A bar of ill repute?...This is Sharn...that will be like finding a needle in a pile of needles." Gallant shrugs and sighs a bit, "Can you bring me up to speed and tell me what all this talk about beards is about? I assume it has something to do with the Prophecy, Perhaps we can finally find a location to get traveling too. I tire of this discussion. The time to act fast approaches."

OMG PONIES
2013-04-10, 06:04 AM
Dr. Kessler

The Professor stops in his tracks. At the staggering fact that nobody else seems to know about the Beard, he pinches the bridge of his nose to alleviate the throbbing sensation in his temples. "Luckily for us," he practically seethes, "I know the precise location within the pile of this needle. There's a gentleman there, whom I must confess I know little of, paying for information about the Prophecy. However, if we don't make haste he may not tarry there for long." At this, Phinneas spins on his heels to head back toward his office. The sounds of the others is becoming a fond but distant memory by the time he remembers and calls out from down one of the serpentine halls: "Gregory! My coat!"

Graham
2013-04-10, 01:26 PM
You agree on the next course of action, and head off. After a couple of hours travelling, you make your way down to the western most end of the Lower Menthis plateau, and eventually find The Dwarves Beard tavern. The back alley that the tavern is located on is actually very quiet, with only a couple of people presumably sleeping off whatever they've brought upon themselves propped up against the walls.

The tavern itself is fronted with a large, solid wood door and no windows. From outside you can't hear any noise coming out of the tavern, but there is light coming from under the doorway.

Rhyvurg
2013-04-10, 05:15 PM
"I will watch the back door."

boldfont
2013-04-10, 05:25 PM
Welcoming little place, isn't it? I'll go have a listen.
She tip toes up to the doorway and presses her ear to it.

Move silently [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
DUrrr! I'm tha rogue! :smalltongue: Can't roll worth crap this game.

Seanfall
2013-04-10, 11:21 PM
Gallant sighs and simply walks up to the door, and loudly knocks on it. "Hello? is anyone here?"

boldfont
2013-04-10, 11:53 PM
Hey! What the?

grrrr
(if there's a tentacle monster behind this door you'll be sorry)

Graham
2013-04-11, 06:28 AM
Listening at the door, you can make out the sounds of people inside but can't make out anything more detailed than that.

Gallants knocking on the door elicits no response at all however.

OMG PONIES
2013-04-11, 06:46 AM
Dr. Kessler

The professor is amazed at how cautious the others are being. "One doesn't usually secure the door to a storefront," he says as he opens the door and walks in. The scent of urine, booze, and cheap food hits him hard, and he winces for a moment.

Graham
2013-04-12, 06:25 AM
Pushing the heavy door open and entering, the first thing to notice is the light. Or rather, the lack of light. There are no windows in the place, and the only light is provided by a small torch on each wall.

Straight in front of you as you enter is the bar, stretching across the entire length of the back wall. A number of seats are against the bar, mostly occupied, and a handful of tables and chairs are scattered around the room. Behind the bar, in the back wall in the right corner, is a door presumably leading to the back room, and in front of the bar, in the right wall, is another door leading elsewhere.

As you walk in, nobody even bothers to look round to acknowledge you.

Seanfall
2013-04-12, 01:15 PM
"I'll check the door to the back." Gallant enters the bar and walks straight back to the door behind the bar, with the intent to open it and walk right in.

boldfont
2013-04-12, 01:53 PM
"I'll check the door to the back." Gallant enters the bar and walks straight back to the door behind the bar, with the intent to open it and walk right in.

Kookali gives herself a big ole facepalm. None of these people seems to know anything about subtlety.
I'll ask around. she offers, not wanting any of her friends to muck up that part of the mission. Mucking up the sneaky stuff was her job!

Gather Information
[roll0]
Worst
Rogue
EVER :smallannoyed:

Graham
2013-04-13, 03:23 PM
Gallant

As you try to get past the bar to the door, the nearest barman immediately steps in front of you. Oi. Where do you think you're going? You're not allowed back there!

Kooks
Asking a few questions without trying to arouse too many suspicions, the news of the prophecy is known but you can't find anyone who knows anything more that you've already worked out.

Seanfall
2013-04-13, 11:32 PM
"I'm sorry, my friends and I are looking for someone of less than reputable reputation. There's a chance he might be hiding in your bar, I need to check all rooms of your establishment. I have no desire, on any of your possessions or to interfere with it's operation." Gallant leans in really close his face almost touching the bartenders. "Surely a law abiding citizen such as yourself has nothing to hide from a Paladin of the Silver Flame, I'm sure."

OMG PONIES
2013-04-14, 09:03 PM
Dr. Kessler

Phinneas finds a barstool, and takes a few arduous moments scaling it. Once he is atop it, he sits gingerly on the perch. He spies the bar itself, covered in old yellow liquid that was either stale ale or fresh urine. The fluid is splashed all over the bar and finds its way into the cracks and crevices made by various knifefights and altercations throughout the years. Phinneas tries to find something to do with his hands that doesn't risk placing them near the mystery substance. Finding nothing, he settles for intertwining his fingers over his chest.

Unaware of the first rule of drinking in shady bars, the professor looks around at the other patrons in the bar. A table of elves, pale and otherworldly, stare back at him without blinking once among the whole lot. His eyes bounce away, looking for something less soulless, and his gaze meets that of a dwarven strumpet sitting in a nearby booth. She bats her eyelashes at him, but he finds the abundance of blinking just as offsetting as its absence. His eyes scan over the rest of the crowd, but he doesn't find a single one who looks like they're not plotting how he can be the victim of their next crime.

Phin's ears perk up as he hears Gallant less tipping their hand and more shouting out the cards they were holding. He's about to speak up to stop the creature when he hears the Warforged close by introducing his vocation. Whether this produced results or blew up in their face, the means by which it did so was sure to be spectacular. The Professor decides to but out and let the Warforged lay it on heavy. He turns and flags down a barmaid. The hefty gal looked like she had seen better days; her exposed collarbone bore a few circular scars from cigar burns of sadistic patrons, and one of her eyes bulged out slightly and drifted toward her temple. "Pardon me, miss," he says (barely above a whisper), "does this establishment serve any herbal teas? Specifically something with chamomile?"

boldfont
2013-04-15, 12:17 PM
So, ya know anything about that new dragon prophecy? she asks every patron in the bar is her most casual sounding voice. She even does the hand on chin bored look. But none of this gets her any closer to any answers. When she was sure that she was getting somewhere with a sour grapes dwarf hunkered in corner by his lonesome, Gallant announces to the world that he's a paladin on a mission and Phinneas orders herbal tea. She blames them. How can she be expected to do her job when Clankers and the professor can't even act casual in a bar? There was more than one way to skin a cat! (Why would anyone want to skin a cat? They're adorable!)

Kooks nonchalantly uses mage hand to send a few of the bottles sitting behind the bartender crashing down. While everyone's attention is fixed on the sound of crashing glass and the sight of wasted booze, she makes her move into the back room.

Slight o' Hand [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

If anyone on the other side, and if possible...
Hide [roll2]
Go dice!

Graham
2013-04-15, 12:43 PM
Kessler
Tea? What kind o' place you think this is? I wouldn't even drink the water in 'ere if I were you. Who knows where it's been, if you get me drift

Kooks/Gallant
The bartender just looks at Gallant, arms crossed: Silver Flame? Is that meant to be some kind of threat? You don't scare me, and you're kind aren't welcome in here. Especially not trying to break into there without any kind of permission. You'll be best off going quietly whilst you still can. As the bartender is saying this, a number of bottles jump off the shelf behind him, one landing right by his foot and soaking his leg in what was presumably drink of some kind. Glaring at Gallant again, obviously assuming this was the fault of the Warforged Oi! What the ... Was that you're idea of ... Well, you can just get out of here now before I get you thrown out! As he moves away to clear the broken glass from the floor around him, whilst keeping an eye on the hulking Warforged.

Taking advantage of the distraction, Kooks manages to slip around the other side of the Warforged and through the door, opening it just enough to squeeze through without being noticed. On the otherside she finds a table with 4 men sat around, playing some kind of card game. As she slips in, unfortunately out in the middle of the room with no decent place to hide behind, one of the men looks up at her. And just who do you think you are?

boldfont
2013-04-15, 01:05 PM
Like most things, this worked out a lot better in her head than real life. OHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMAN OH Man! I am screwed now! These were her private thoughts. What came out of her mouth was something totally different.

I think you know who I am! Or rather - She gave the four men the ole' **** eye scrutinizing look. Who I represent... and they are none to pleased about how things have been running here.

It was hard to lie your way out of a situation when you didn't know any of the facts. Kooks had found in the past that the best thing to do was to let the other person feed you bits about the role you should be playing. She called this a cold reading. Reading because you were trying to read the other person for information. And cold because that would be the temperature of your body when they fished it out of the cogs.

Bluff of the century
[roll0]

If fail, as seems likely, then Kooks says Health Inspector?

Graham
2013-04-15, 01:51 PM
Kooks
I think, young lady, that you have the wrong room. And I think that the longer you stay here, the less likely you are to ever become an old lady

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Seanfall
2013-04-15, 02:03 PM
Gallant looks around as he could have sworn he felt something blow past him, however when he turned he saw nothing. Must have been the wind, he looks down at the bartender, and shakes his head. I do not engage in pointless destruction. However he is busy doing something else, Gallant looks back up to the door he was trying to get to. He sighs and looks back around the room to try to find Kooks and Phinneas.

Roll spot to find the two
[roll0]

I'm thinking that if I don't find Kooks I can figure out that she snuck past me.

boldfont
2013-04-15, 02:13 PM
Then Kooks sees the cards. CARDS! Why didn't she just say she was there to play cards?!? D'oh! Was it too late for that angle? Probably, but not knowing when to quit is what got Kooks where she was today. Oh sure, you could point out that she was hardly a success, but that would just be mean and Kooks would never listen. So instead she walked up confidently jingling the little coin that she actually had in her hand and she offered
Boys, I think I've had too much to drink! heh. And you have the wrong impression about me. Oh sure I did sneak in here and sure I tried to fib to you, but it was only because it's so BORING out there and so interesting in here. Ya see, I love card games. They're pretty much the best. I'm pretty good at cards too. At least, that one time I actually played I was good. WHEW That grog was - heh - strong stuff here. Anyways, can I buy in? My friend is holding most of my - hic - my gold and my platinum, but I can go get it. What does it take to buy in? 100?

Second time is a charm...
[roll0]
Oh man! She is SO dead! :smalleek:

Graham
2013-04-15, 02:29 PM
Oh, so you want to play cards do you? Well, I'm sure we can maybe find a place for you, if you can afford to play. You can afford to play, can't you? Because I'm sure you wouldn't want to gamble if you can't afford to lose

boldfont
2013-04-15, 02:50 PM
Kookali gulps and wipes away the sweat beading on her forehead. Her mother warned her about men like these. But she just had to find out what was up with all the spying and stealing of scrolls and stuff! It was probably the worst idea in the whole wide world, so she decided to consult her friends.

:smalleek: Oh yeah sure! ha ha ha... I'm loaded. Got tonnes of jewelry and faberge eggs at home. That's me! Lemme just get some of that coin from my friend. Don't gamble it you can't pay, right? Ha ha!

Oh right! I'm supposed to be drunk
she reminds herself, though the pretense is long past discovered.
Hic*

She backs out of the sleazy back room door and waves to the bar man.

It's alright, I'm playing cards :smallbiggrin:

Kooks whispers in Gallant's ear. Hey big guy! Now don't get all metal and paladin like on me, but the way I see it is we've hit a wall in our investigation and we have two options. The first is you can go back there and bust some skulls until people talk. Don't worry about due process or nothing, I'm pretty sure these guys have done something to deserve it.

She waited for him to refuse so she could pitch him the second slightly less unattractive option... lending her money so she could gamble. :smallamused:

Seanfall
2013-04-15, 03:20 PM
Is that so? Gallant thinks for a moment. Take me back there, I would speak with these men directly.

Rhyvurg
2013-04-15, 04:29 PM
Having arrived at the back door, Gauntlet waits to see who might come fleeing out of it.

boldfont
2013-04-15, 05:03 PM
But... I didn't get a chance to borrow money...
Kooks is taken aback by the fact that the giant metal paladin didn't balk at the suggestion that he should bash some heads. She grins. This will work too!
Nevermind. Follow me. She takes Gallant's hand (Which is itself a gauntlet. Curious. It would be easy to confuse the two. Was this the tough one or the goodie goodie one?) and lead him to the back room. Before sending him in she gives the Professor a friendly "don't mind me, I'm certainly not causing any trouble" wave and mouths he's with me to the bartender.

Okay Gallant. These are rough customers she whispers very very bad men who won't be intimidated by you or your order
you need to pound first and ask questions later
i'll watch the door and jump in if you need a hand, but this is really more your
She pats his big metal chest. Solid. Ooooo! This is gonna be good.
thing

Kooks remembered that they had a second also big and also scary murder bot outside. She could just imagine the looks on these dweebs faces when they escape the beating of one warforged only to run smack dab into a second. She takes the spare lock she keeps as a fashion statement off of her belt and pushes the door open for Gallant. Say hello to my little friend! she announces as she clicks the lock into place.

The professor would not approve.
Oh yeah. This was gonna rock!

Seanfall
2013-04-15, 06:13 PM
Gallant groans inwardly as he's pulled inside, well he did bring this on himself. Calmly he looks to the men playing cards, Hello, my name is Gallant, I need some information and I've been lead to believe you possess such information. Now...how should we do this? Gallant was well aware of the type of people who huddled in back rooms and was ready for a fight should this turn ugly...he suspected it would, he did not wish for bloodshed or a brawl but he was doing this in the name of his god and church, and if they wished for one he'd give it to them.

boldfont
2013-04-15, 06:26 PM
Looks does a face palm. I should have brought the other forged! D'oh!

OMG PONIES
2013-04-15, 07:58 PM
Kessler
Tea? What kind o' place you think this is? I wouldn't even drink the water in 'ere if I were you. Who knows where it's been, if you get me drift

Dr. Kessler stares back at the barman, aghast at what passed for "customer service" in these parts. He looked around again, and realized that none of the patrons were actually drinking anything--how suspicious for an establishment that had a menu full of potent potables. Phinneas realized how foolish he had been; the storefront was a charade. Instead, the customers here paid for the privacy of their conversations and the absence of overly helpful and intrusive waitstaff.

Even still, he found his nerves jumping more than a child who had to use the restroom, and a spot of tea was exactly what he needed. "I'll take my chances," Kessler says, "Herbal tea, please." As the barman pours a mug full of steaming brown water, Phinneas waves a hand over it and the liquid becomes clear. With a smug smile, he puts the tea leaves in the mug and begins to stir.

Spellcraft DC 15 to open:
Phinneas casts Purify Food & Drink.

The blend itself wasn't anything to write home about, but it was tea. The very presence of the mug restored a sense of normalcy to the professor. With his first sip, he got an idea about how to find the man they were looking for. Kessler takes a gold piece out of his pocket and slides it across the bar. He keeps his hand on top of the coin, lifting it only once he was sure it was within the barman's reach. The coin was the cleanest thing in the bar, and it's yellow hue caught every bit of light the place had to give. "Four coppers for the mug," he says pleasantly before dropping his voice to a whisper. "And the rest for letting Mister Jarak know I've got some information that would interest him."

Rhyvurg
2013-04-15, 08:36 PM
If Gauntlet had eyelids, he would have blinked in surprise. "That was unexpected."

Lazy Genius
2013-04-16, 10:48 AM
Gregory, being the curious person that he is, stays quiet throughout the whole exchange of words and sneakiness, and subtly casts a spell on himself to listen in on the conversations going on inside the Dwarf, before entering.

Spellcraft DC16:
Comprehend Languages, duration 20 minutes.

When Kooks slips into the back room unnoticed the first time, Gregory was completely oblivious, just like everyone else. But when Kooks drags Gallant in there with her, undoubtedly for a fight, Gregory makes his presence known with a subtly cough and follows them into the back room. Once there, he looks each of the men over carefully, trying to identify each one of them in turn.

[roll0] to try and see who they are.

Graham
2013-04-16, 12:18 PM
Kessler

Jarak? You're here for Jarak? Let me tell you something, free of charge the barman says whilst pocketing the coin, You don't want to be here for Jarak. If you're asking after him, you don't know what he is. And if you don't know what he is, the best you can do for yourself is to be somewhere else

Gregory
Listening into the various conversations going on in and around the tavern, most of what you hear is talks of various gossip and trades going on in the area - some more legal than others. However, in one corner of the tavern are a couple of men who are discussing some scrolls that they are waiting on.

Kooks/Gallant/Gregory
Entering the back room again, the four men are still sat around the table, and are still playing cards. As the door clicks shut, one of them looks up, obviously surprised that you thought it a good idea to actually return

Information? You think you can barge your way in here and demand such things from us? You are either very rich or very stupid.

Gregory: Knowledge [roll0]
Gregory: Listen [roll1] Gather Information [roll2]

Seanfall
2013-04-16, 12:49 PM
You are trying my patience. Gallant takes a step forward, and places a hand on the table. If you do not possess this information Jarak. Do you know him? If not we will leave, but if you do and you refuse to bargain for the information peacefully. Gallant places his other hand on the back of a chair of one of the men. Moving his cape just enough that they can see the hilt of his sword.

So, have you heard of this Jarak?

Diplomacy
[roll0]

If it works, Sense Motive to try to tell if they're lying
[roll1]

Welp it looks like we're in for one heck of a slobberknocker.

boldfont
2013-04-16, 01:02 PM
Kooks does nothing to her her **** eating grin. This was going to work after all.
Just so you know, I'm crazy, not stupid. And as I was saying, this is my friend.

Now talk!

Graham
2013-04-16, 01:17 PM
Kooks/Gallant/Gregory
You come looking for Jarak? Well, you've found him. And you've interrupted my game. That alone doesn't come cheap

Rhyvurg
2013-04-16, 03:28 PM
"You're right. It might end up costing you some teeth."

Lazy Genius
2013-04-16, 03:41 PM
"Well gentlemen, your assessment is correct. You mentioned we were either very rich or very stupid, and it just so happens that I am rich, not stupid." His serene and utterly calm voice, as if the three of them weren't harassing these men, weren't threatening them, but having a quiet peaceful conversation seemed unsettling. As if the tone of voice wasn't enough, he added a little wink when he said 'am', just to show them they weren't the crazy ones, as if that was even up for debate. Gregory then spread his arms wide, leaving the vast array of weapons he was clearly carrying with him explicitly at his side, and continued his monologue.

"Because clearly you are Jarak, my good sir, I shall come to the point. We have interrupted your game for good reason, as it seems you're sending people to listen in on other people's conversations. Specifically, conversations about the Dragon Prophecy, no? The very same prophecy that describes information that happens to be classified, as well as being supposedly a secret that it even exists. Does it exist? We don't know, we're trying to investigate that very same matter. Of course, this ongoing investigation can't come to succesful fruition if your spies infiltrate our halls. The very fact that we caught them and are now standing here shows you they're not even very good at what they do, no? But no matter, now I'm left wondering what kind of man would send spies, incompetent as they may be, to try and listen to some kind of rumor? As if we have anything at all, nothing, not a single scroll worth to steal. Speaking of scrolls, you're still recieving a shipment of some aren't you, the two men in the other room are still waiting for them, and quite loudly discussing them too, couldn't miss it, the moment I stepped through the door. So in the end, you hire clumsy spies and conspicuous deliveryboys, not a very good operation you've got here, is it? In the end, however, all of these questions come down to what kind of man you are, Jarak, so pray tell; what are you?"

All of this was said while Gregory seemed to look away into space, soliloquizing, speaking his mind, pacing up and down the cramped space, making them believe, he knew just about everything about them and their operation and playing the man who knows he's got nothing to lose, and thus plays all his cards in the open. Of course, this was far from the truth, and Kooks and Gallant knew it, but Gregory gave it a shot and when it came down to it, he'd always have his money to rely on.

Ok, so I'm hoping for some godlike rolls here:
[roll0]
[roll1]

And if it makes a difference, to tell if they might be lying:
[roll2]

Since we went it-might-blow-up-in-my-face-but-if-it-doesn't-we-get SO-much-back, I thought I'd join the bandwagon.

Edit: Eh rolls, not bad, but not what I hoped for.

boldfont
2013-04-16, 04:01 PM
While Greggers went on his lengthily diatribe Kooks thought that this was too damn good for even the stuffy old professor to miss out on. Oh man they were in for it now. Heh heh heh. She unlocked the door and stuch her head out. Greggers was doing a much better job of lying and threatening than she did. One of these days she was going to have to learn those skills. They'd prolly come in handy.

Pssstt! Professor Kessler! she whispered at the level of a dull roar. She made the universal head jerking motion for "get in here you old fuddy duddy" and let him in. He looked at her quizzically and annoyed. Nothing is worth interrupting tea time for that old coot. But Kooks widened she eyes and mouthed "now!" And he came.
He's with me. she mouthed a second time to the bar keep. How did she keep getting away with that? Anyways, when Kessler was inside she locked the door just when Greggers finished his speech.
Congratulations Professor she whispered loudly in his sensitive gnome ears You're about to have you first bar fight and she slapped him on the back for good luck.

Graham
2013-04-16, 04:36 PM
At this speech, the man who has been speaking to you stands up to his full height, standing taller than all but the Warforged in the room, revealing himself to be wearing very expensive clothing and with what is obviously a level of strength to his figure that would not be expected from his age. So, you come in here, you accuse me of spying on your games, chasing after rumours of prophecy that might or might not even be true, and you have the gall to ask me what I am? I am Jarak. I am the darkness that watches over the below-lands of Sharn, where people come because they don't want to be found. This is my place, and you are here without my invitation. Think carefully about what you say, because in this place I hold the cards.

This Prophecy that you accuse me of spying on you for, it is of no interest to me. I will be here long after you have finished your games, trying to predict the future that has not been written yet. Prophecy is of little interest to me.

If somebody has given you my name, it is likely someone who knows who I am much better than you obviously do. I am willing to be magnanimous in this matter, and I will let you leave now. I would suggest you take this offer whilst you still can. At this, the other three around the table also stand up, keeping an eye on all of you.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Rhyvurg
2013-04-16, 08:45 PM
"Let's see if he's more agreeable with broken legs."

[roll0] Intimidate

OMG PONIES
2013-04-16, 08:59 PM
Dr. Kessler

The stout little professor wanders up and extends his hand for a friendly shake, missing the gravitas of Jarak's introduction. "Pleasure, Mister Jarak. Doctor Phinneas Kessler, historian and professor at Morgrave University," he says with a reckless abandon for brevity or stealth. When the thug doesn't take his hand but merely grimaces, Kessler gets the hint. He wipes his hands off on his cloak and continues. "We were told you were paying for information regarding the Draconic Prophecy--far more than a mere 'game,' but the key that unlocks every door in the City of Towers. You seem a smart man, and an entrepreneur at that, so surely you see the value in such a key. If you don't think it valuable, then I apologize for wasting your time and ours; we shall leave and discuss with someone who sees its value. If you can see the value--and you strike me as one who doesn't pass up an opportunity--perhaps we could discuss the matter more like gentlemen and less like dolgrims fighting over the last drumstick."

boldfont
2013-04-16, 09:02 PM
Kooks makes her way towards the back door. She casts mage armour on herself, sensing trouble brewing. Then, because she really wanted to see a fight and didn't think these dudes were going to talk unless it was through a mouthful of broken teeth, she gave the tension in the room a little push. She throws a smooth round rock she keeps in her money pouch (so it won't float away) at the back of Jarak's head with a flick of the wrist when no one is looking.

[roll0] to hit flat footed
If hit [roll1] and [roll2] sneak attack. POW!

Sleight of hand
[roll3]
And if this works he shouldn't even know what hit him.

HOW IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO ROLL THIS BADLY!!!!!!! :smallfurious:

Seanfall
2013-04-16, 10:28 PM
What you are Jarak. Gallant was reaching the end of his patience. Is a Criminal, with an inflated ego, you flout the laws of this city and think yourself grand for it. Do you feel grand? Hiding in the back of a this hole playing cards with a bunch of other thugs. Gallant looks down at the table, You have threatened the safety of a servant of the silver flame and those with whom he travels. I make you this offer Jarak. Gallant lifts up his hand and slams the table with the intent to break it. Surrender yourself peacefully, or I drag you out of here.

Slam attack on the Table.
[roll0]
Damage to table
[roll1] Hey it's a racial slam.

Oh hey! I hit the stationary table.

OMG PONIES
2013-04-17, 08:45 PM
Dr. Kessler

As the others seem intent on provoking Jarath, Phinneas looks uneasy being so close to the man. He backs up and mutters a quick prayer under his breath. "May the Host guard my ghost," he mutters. "I knew that leaving campus was a bad idea."

Spellcraft DC 16 to open:
Phinneas casts Protection from Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm) on himself.

Rhyvurg
2013-04-29, 05:31 AM
"You people are doing a lot of standing-around-and-not-fighting for criminals."

OMG PONIES
2013-04-29, 06:07 AM
Dr. Kessler

Phin shoots daggers at the aggressive warforged with his eyes. However, he's a soft and small man; even if looks could kill, the best Phin's icy stare would do is bounce off of Gauntlet's armored plating. "Shh," he whispers to the warforged, "Don't give them any ideas."

1d20+1

Edit: I guess punctuation messes up rolls.