PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the Lich Queen

Wheels
2013-02-25, 11:08 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm currently DMing the Eberron adventure "Eyes of the Lich Queen" in 3.5 but i'm a little lost and apreciate any help.

On part 2 - Finding the Path, after the group recovers the journal, there is a section with the title "THE JOURNAL" (starts at page 50). In this section, it details what information the PC's will encounter in the journal. Here is the final statement of this section:

"The directions to the tomb outlined in Eliam’s journal were actually the explorer’s escape route, mapped and annotated as he and Thraxis fled the island. However, in a key passage that appears to be written after the adventure, Eliam laments how Thraxis briefly obtained the journal and removed a number of pages. These detailed the runes and symbols copied from the entrance to the tomb, as well as the artificer’s own notes and interpretation of that information. The journal indicates the path the PCs must follow to the tomb’s door, but the secret to opening that door is on the missing pages."

So basically, and reading the bold part, the PC's know how to get to the tomb, but dont know how to open it. So i guess the next part, were they need to rescue Thraxis I can understand. What i dont understand is, why do they need to map from the Prince, if the diary already has that information?

Any help in understanding this is appreciated.

mattie_p
2013-02-25, 11:17 AM
The map of the prince provides the navigation charts to the island in question where part 3 takes place. Without those charts, the ship they have chartered can't get close enough to the shore of that island (safely, that is) to see the landmarks that indicate where they need to land.

Away from book, so I can't be more specific.

Wheels
2013-02-25, 11:30 AM
ty for the quick reply.

Well this is the inicial information provided on the section "THE PRINCE’S MAP" (page 58).

"The PCs have uncovered the second of the three keys needed to locate and unlock Jheamast’s tomb. The tattoos on Thraxis’s body consist of ancient Sarlonan writings in Old Common and the artificer’s own notes on those writings. Thraxis made reference to symbols and glyphs engraved on and around the pillar that marks the tomb’s entrance. His translation indicates that the tomb will remain sealed until those who bear “the power of the Dragon’s Eye” arrive to open it. However, even with Eliam’s journal now complete, the PCs have no idea where on Trebaz Sinara to begin their search for the tomb. Three important landmarks mentioned within the journal—the dragon’s boneyard, the lion’s maw, and the wheel of fire—do not reference locations on any charts of the island that the PCs are able to obtain. Because of its many dangers, Trebaz Sinara has been mapped infrequently. Rumors of treasure there mean that the best of such maps tend to vanish along with the explorers who covet them. As the PCs search for a map that conforms to the details of Eliam’s journals, any Gather Information check in Port Verge reveals the existence of one detailed map of Trebaz Sinara. That map belongs to Ryger ir’Wynarn, ruler of the Seadragon Principality and high prince of the Lhazaar Sea."

As it says, the map provides information on how to find the landmarks and not navigation charts to reach the island. So if the diary already says this, why do the NPC's need this map? And are they required to go to these 3 landmarks to find the temple? it's really confusing lol

Wheels
2013-02-25, 11:55 AM
Ok i'm beginning to understant a little more. It seems you're right about the treacherous reefs and the dificulty to navigate the waters.

It also seems that although the journal has the way to the tomb it only describes how to find the tomb through the landmarks. Navigating around the island they are able to see the dragon's boneyard and the lion's maw so the map is not really needed for this.

It seems they really only need it for a way around the reefs. If the pc's get ahold of a flying ship, the map is useless.

Anyway, ty for the help. It seems that they only really explain whats going more far ahead. If you dont read the inicial part of the chapter "The Hunted Isle" you want understand much.

mattie_p
2013-02-25, 02:29 PM
I do recommend you read the entire book, if at all possible, in advance of running the adventure. If you are already running it (as it sounds like) take the time to read through it several times before your next session. It will definitely help to guide the way you run the adventure.