PDA

View Full Version : Making a Factotum

DarkEternal
2013-02-25, 12:04 PM
I've read a lot of the handbooks(including the one made by Guigarci on this forum which helped quite a bit), but I still have some issues on how to play this the way I envisioned it, which granted might not be what the Factotum was about.

So, we start at level 2 and rolled for stats. The dice Gods were good to me. I rolled:

Str: 13
Dex:14
Con:14
Int:18
Wis:13
Cha:17

Later on, I thought that maybe I should have put Dex in 17 and Cha at 14, but it's too late now.

Anyway, I'm playing a human Factotum. Took Font of Inspiration and Able Learner(since I want to qualify for Chameleon and I think this is the worst feat ever considering it's basically a wasted slot for a Factotum)

Anyway, the idea was to use Iaijutsu focus a lot, though I try to play the character as a gentleman. A butler. An Alfred Pennyworth if you will. I even wasted some much needed skill points in Profession(Teamaking) to be a sir. My prefered weapon is a Canesword

A cunning weapon favoured by nobles, the sword cane has a thin, pointed blade. However, it is usually concealed within an ornate walking cane, often leaving enemies completely unaware that their target is indeed armed with a lethal weapon. A character may use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply his Dexterity modifier instead of Strength to all attack rolls with the sword cane.
Sword Cane: Medium-size Martial Weapon; 35 gp; Dmg 1d6; Critical 18-20/x2; Range –; 3 lb.; Piercing.

I also took a Wand Wrist because it is made out of pure flavorfull awesomeness(not that I can afford anything at this level but soon, if I live that long)

Anyway, english not being my native language, I'm a bit of a loss at how Iaijutsu focus works. It says you need to attack immediatelly after drawing a weapon. Does that mean if the combat starts, I draw a weapon, move and then attack a flat footed opponent, I can't do it?(provided I have the Quick Draw feat)? Or that I can't attack in subsequent rounds with it if my weapon is drawn out of it's sheath, even if the enemy is flat footed(meaning I have to sheathe it first or something?) Should I invest in the Quick Draw if this is the case? Seems like an imperative for anyone using the Iaijutsu focus thing.

So far, I don't really have a lot of luck in getting the enemy flat footed either. My rolls were abysmall in the entire session(5,4,2,2,1,3 were the actual combat rolls I had that I memorised, in a row one after the other), but let's say this evens out. Will I be able to actually hit stuff without going into weapon finesse as I gain in level? Should I work on getting Belts of Strength instead of Gloves of Dex in this scenario? I know of Feycraft weapons but those are expensive, plus knowing my DM, I won't find a Cane sword all that fast anyway.

Granted, I can use Inspiration points to get a bonus to hit, but still...Speaking of which. When I use that Inspiration for Cunning Insight to gain a bonus for attacking, do I need to waste an Inspiration point for Attack and Damage seperately? Or is it one for everything attack related that round? It's a major difference of course.

So far, the best things about getting an enemy flatfooted seems to be the enchantment from MIC that gives you the ability to make them flat footed 10 times a day as a swift action and that Skill trick with tumble, all of which will be pretty hard to get for a few more levels.

Speaking of Using Wands and scrolls and such. My understanding is, a Factotum can use all wands that have wiz-sorc spells in them, right? So, basically I just have to pass the DC on the UMD and off the spell goes, right? Same with scrolls. I bought a few of the Grease ones with my WBL, though I'll have some difficulty passing the DC's for a few more levels(I think I have like four ranks in UMD so far, with Cha giving me 3 more, so yeah..)

Also put a few points in Craft(Alchemy) though it seems like I wasted those for nothing. Thought of rather putting them in Poison making or something.

Anyway, I'll certainly have some other questions since the class is not really the easiest to play.

LTwerewolf
2013-02-25, 12:16 PM
You can get them flat footed using grease or caltrops. Caltrops are pretty cheap, and you can cast grease if you can cast lvl 1 spells.

Yes it does work that way, you need to draw and attack in the same motion. Ever seen those samurai movies where they draw, kill someone, and re-sheath their blade? That's what Iaijutsu is.

DarkEternal
2013-02-25, 12:17 PM
I know that, but it's a bit wonky in how it works with DnD mechanics. So, that means that Quick Draw is essential if I want to make this work.

LTwerewolf
2013-02-25, 12:32 PM
Pretty much, yeah. Otherwise you need to spend a full round action in order to be able to hit once with the skill.

A_S
2013-02-25, 12:37 PM
Not that it means you shouldn't take quick draw, but bear in mind that anyone with 1 bab can move and draw a weapon as part of a single move action. I can't imagine a dm not allowing iaijutsu after that.

Gildedragon
2013-02-25, 12:57 PM
Thanks, glad that that work in progress is of help.

If you are doing an Iaijutsu focused build quick draw is useful for flick of the wrist or the skill-tricks that flatfoot opponents. I would take the latter over the former as feats are expensive.

Also with such high charisma you may want to invest in intimidate; calling out fearsome duels and the like.

For Cunning Insight: Yes, the bonus to hit is separate from the bonus to damage. That is why Power Attack is a nice feat for factotums as it essentially submerses one within the other.

For Sorc-wiz wands you don't need to UMD the wand.

You may want to add a wand chamber to your sword-cane for some eternal wand you use often (mage armor or grease likely).

If you go for a feycraft elven lightblade for your swordcane you get to spend that feat you'd drop on finesse into something else. Able learner is already a feat tax, don't overburden your character with feats you could get elsewhere.

DarkEternal
2013-02-25, 01:14 PM
Okay, my knowledge of UMD is a bit iffy since I never played a character that relied on it. I can use all sorc-wiz stuff without UMD. Great. How exactly does that work on higher level wands(if you are not yet a level that can cast that spell or something like that) or just point me to the PHB. Thanks.

So, let me get this straight with Iaijutsu. I take Quick Draw for my level 3 feat.

Fight starts, and my weapon is still sheathed. My turn comes, I come towards the enemy, use a swift action that does not provoke an AOO to pull the weapon out and strike. Since I can't use two Swift actions in this turn, I can wait until the next turn to either use a move action to put the blade back in, or the Swift action to sheathe it, but none the less, on the second round, I need to waste the move action whatever the case is, if I want to pull off another Iaijutsu attack, right?

And yeah, I was thinking of going into Imperious command later on, even if my DM was looking at me in that look which shows "Don't count on it".

Gildedragon
2013-02-25, 01:45 PM
It doesn't matter for higher level spells with wands.
On your class list? You can cast it.

Fight starts, Surprise Round: You use Knowledge Devotion vs the creature type (free action) (you want to get this feat, it increases your chances of hitting something good and adds an okay amount of damage)
You move to the creature, draw as a free action (quick draw), roll iaijutsu, roll to hit, hit ('cause flat-footed), deal damage, sheath weapon as a free action

LTwerewolf
2013-02-25, 01:48 PM
Drawing is a free action with quick draw, not a swift action.

Qc Storm
2013-02-25, 02:45 PM
You can buy a Least Crystal of return for very little gold and put it in your weapon.

It allows the weapon to be drawn as a free action.

Gildedragon
2013-02-25, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but if you want "Flick of the Wrist" or the Flat Footed skill tricks you need it.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-25, 03:10 PM
I think Marbles > Caltrops for Flat-Footed...

Gildedragon
2013-02-25, 11:38 PM
Caltrops are nice because they slow your enemies down.

besides there's neat enchanted ones that can attack opponents.

Rubik
2013-02-25, 11:52 PM
The problem with wands and scrolls is that factotums don't actually cast spells. They use spell-like abilities, and don't actually have spellcasting. Thus, you probably won't be able to use wands and scrolls without UMD. Ask your DM.

Also, I second the least weapon crystal of return (in the Magic Item Compendium). I'd suggest that you keep upgrading that crystal with additional weapon crystal benefits (such as flaming and frost) for the 50% markup like what the MIC suggests. MUCH cheaper than getting, say, a +3 weapon.

A_S
2013-02-26, 12:55 AM
The problem with wands and scrolls is that factotums don't actually cast spells. They use spell-like abilities, and don't actually have spellcasting. Thus, you probably won't be able to use wands and scrolls without UMD. Ask your DM.

But if you PrC into Chameleon, then EVERYTHING is on your spell list.

Rubik
2013-02-26, 01:00 AM
But if you PrC into Chameleon, then EVERYTHING is on your spell list.This is exceptionally true. However, that doesn't translate to pre-PrC.

nyjastul69
2013-02-26, 01:27 AM
I would definitely check with your DM about wands being used by Factotums. They don't cast spells and thus don't have a spell list. In regards to drawing a weapon, if your BAB is +1 or greater you can draw a weapon as part of a normal move, not as part of a move action. How is that you're sheathing a weapon as a free, or swift action? Normally sheathing a weapon is a move action that provokes an AoO. You might want to look at the Gnome Quickrazor from Races of Stone. It synergizes very well with Iaijutsu Focus.

A_S
2013-02-26, 02:22 AM
I said "move and draw a weapon as part of a single move action," not "draw a weapon as part of any move action."

And, if your DM doesn't approve Gnomish Quickrazors (there's some iffy wording about the end of the round in their description), a Glove of the Master Strategist (budget Glove of Storing, from Ghostwalk) lets you store/retrieve a single item <20 lbs as a free action.

nyjastul69
2013-02-26, 02:38 AM
I said "move and draw a weapon as part of a single move action," not "draw a weapon as part of any move action."

And, if your DM doesn't approve Gnomish Quickrazors (there's some iffy wording about the end of the round in their description), a Glove of the Master Strategist (budget Glove of Storing, from Ghostwalk) lets you store/retrieve a single item <20 lbs as a free action.

I was trying to make it clear to the OP that a PC drawing a weapon with a +1 BAB or greater, is free action, as part of movement, not as part of any given move action. Movement is one type of move action. There are many other types of move actions that do not allow drawing a weapon as part of said action. I apologize for my lack of clarity. No offense was intended, I hope none was taken. It was just a matter of clarity.

DarkEternal
2013-02-26, 08:10 AM
I don't want the quick razors. I saw that they are usually recommended, but the image of a human factotum slicing people up with razors is not really what I had in mind for this character, especially not in an Iaijutsu build. Cane swords is for me.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about not having to use UMD either, but then again that's pretty impossible until at least a few more levels with a Factotum. You have to pass, what, DC 30 or something to use a wand?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-26, 09:30 AM
UMD DC 20 for wands.

A_S
2013-02-26, 10:34 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to get snippy there. Your clarification is absolutely correct.

DEMON
2013-02-26, 12:29 PM
With that charisma of yours, Imperious Command is pretty much a must have. So is Knowledge Devotion for every Factotum regardless your CHA score. Also grab the Font of Inspiration a few more times.

Wands are definately your friends and if you really need a boost in UMD, take a single level of Exemplar for the Skill Mastery (talk to you DM, some do not allow Skill Mastery for UMD).
Wands of Distract Assailant, Grease and Armor Lock come to mind as low level spells making opponents FF (and targeting different saves/skills).
Wand of Whirling Blade for INT to attack and damage (twice if you use Cunning Insight, too) on an AoE (60 ft. line).

And Craft (Alchemy) is good, actually. You can even use it to craft poisons with a penalty, if you need to (albeit without the discount for Craft (Poisonmaking)). Just look around the splatbooks for alchemical items you might like.

DarkEternal
2013-02-26, 05:01 PM
That's a lot of feats :(

So, Quick Draw, Imperious Commad, Knowledge Devotion and Font of Inspiration.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-26, 05:30 PM
Just dropping by to note that Able Learner will pay off once you hit the Chameleon class, so it is not that bad in the end. For what the Chameleon is supposed to be, its list of class skills is disappointing in my opinion. That feat will save you many a skill point in the end (unless the few class skills the chameleon gets are exactly those skills you want to focus on).

Gildedragon
2013-02-26, 06:26 PM
Quickdraw is good but optional; take into account the following:
How often will you be iaijutsu-ing? If you intend to iaijutsu all combat long then you need Quickdraw; if you are satisfied with 3 max, ignore QuickDraw.
Can 6 uses satisfy you? If no you need another feat: flick of the wrist.

Note that when counting the uses I take into account winning initiative and surprise round, and ignore the chance of you being grappled (the latter adds 1 more iai use). You can add a few more IF uses by casting grease and the like.
If it is to draw stuff from a haversack or the like, no way around it; but I would rather not use it up until you've checked how much you actually use it (via the Chameleon's floating feat)

DEMON
2013-02-26, 07:12 PM
Unless you're planning on taking the Skill Tricks that require Quick Draw, you can get the benefit of this feat with a weapon crystal and save yourself a feat slot. And if you use the spells I suggested above, you don't really need the Skill Tricks (that are only usable once per encounter each anyway)...
1 feat slot saved is 1 more FoI to get :smallwink:

DarkEternal
2013-03-08, 09:14 AM
So, gonna be level 3 soon which means level 1 spells. And there are many of them. Grease seems like a natural contender, but I like some others as well. Blade of Blood looks pretty flavourfull, especially if you attack from close range. It gives you an extra 1d6 damage, plus extra 2d6 damage if you take 5 hp from yourself. With Iaijutsu, this can be quite a bit of damage on early levels. It's a swift action spell, and lasts the number of rounds equal to your caster level.

Color spray also seems good, as does sleep. For these low levels, of course. Choices, choices.

Gildedragon
2013-03-08, 02:34 PM
In spell selection think of what your day is going to be like.
If there's any chance of falling: feather fall
If you are using an exotic weapon: master's touch
If you are planning on going into combat: grease or caltrops
If you spent your armor monies on other things: mage armor

Remember each spell can only be used 1/day

DarkEternal
2013-03-30, 09:50 AM
I think I'll skip Quick Draw since my DM says it's impossible to make a "full attack" with an iaijutsu strike, so burning a feat just so I can have a few extra 1d6 in a skill check...well, that is underwhelming. Especially since I'll probably be able to dish out more damage just full attacking with Cunning Insight, especially if I luck out on a crit.

Rubik
2013-03-30, 10:43 AM
I think I'll skip Quick Draw since my DM says it's impossible to make a "full attack" with an iaijutsu strike, so burning a feat just so I can have a few extra 1d6 in a skill check...well, that is underwhelming. Especially since I'll probably be able to dish out more damage just full attacking with Cunning Insight, especially if I luck out on a crit.That's cruddy. Does he do the same with rogues? How about fighters with +1 flaming/shocking/frost weapons?

DarkEternal
2013-03-30, 10:48 AM
He just says it's impossible to unsheathe, strike, sheathe then unsheath and strike again a blade in the span of six seconds, or the equivalent of attacks you can have depending on your BAB.

I tried explaining that DnD is not really up to realism, considering that wizards can break worlds in two, but he doesn't budge.

He also nerfed the Imperious command that I can use it once in battle, and if the enemy saves, they are immune to it for 24 hours or something like that.

Gildedragon
2013-03-30, 01:40 PM
Tch... That bites.
Get the never outnumbered skill trick.
Once per encounter'll be all you're using it so it passes.

Phaederkiel
2013-03-31, 06:28 PM
do not worry about the ability to make full attacks.

My rogue 3 / Factotum 9 / swordsage 1 has done only one or two full attacks since I started playing him at lvl 4.
Which might come from beeing able to one-shot nearly any kind of opponent.

Seriously, do not do quickdraw. Take font of inspiration instead.

My character had knowledge devotion an 5x Font of inspiration since we played with flaws. Since the power of font goes up the more you take it, take it as much as possible.

The most interesting question in a lowlevel factotum is: can you use all your inspiration points on one single sneak attack? (lvl 4 ability)
If you can, you can very early one shot nearly anything, especially if you had any iaijutsu shenanigans on top of it.

For a Factotum who fights in melee and with Iaijutsu, i'd go with nerveskitter as a spell. If you want to snipe someone down from afar, go with snipers sight (i think). You can even use the hollowed stick part from your cane sword as a blowgun. (I love the Teamaking skillpoints. I hope your dm is trying to make them relevant. I know i'd be.)

and then, the last issue. Swordsage. Do it at lvl 9. Then, you have reached the pinnacle of your Factotum abilities (lvl 8) and can get Mind over body, moment of perfect mind, insightful strike (which is your BIG DAMAGE option) and teleport / inivisibilty / concealment or Jump as a swift / scent / wolf fang strike.

Mind over body and moment of perfect mind mean that you will never botch a save ever again. Insightful strike lets you even apply double when you deal a critical, and you can decide to bolster your Concentration check with your factotum lvl AFTER you know you threaten a crit. Which is golden with a high-critting weapon like yours. Getting that swordcane keen is the first thing you should use your money for.
(my character dealt 82 dmg to our big bad evil guy in one hit with one of those crits. Thats relevant damage, especially since you do not need the charging many melee builds need)

oh, and ask your dm if he allows the feat Craven for your ability to deal sneak dice. I do not know if it fits with the fluff, but it is the single feat except knowledge devotion i would take over a font of inspiration

magwaaf
2013-04-01, 04:25 PM
Halfling factotum 8

str 12
dex 18 HP
con 14
int 21 F 14
wis 16 R 17
cha17 W17

CMB 7
CMD 23
BAB 6/1
AC 24

+2 guardian rapier
+1 returning keen throwing axe

+4 stanching mithril chain shirt

cloak of resistances +4
Ring of protection 2
Ring of intellect 2

usual 200g ish starting package

Lightning reflexes
Iron will
Great fortitude
strong soul (forg realm campaign)

dodge
weapon finesse

6500g

acro 4 6 3
bluff 3 8 3
climb 2 1 3
diplomacy 3 7 3
disable device 4 6 3
fly 4 5 3
handle animal 2 5 3
Know arcana 5 7 3
know dungeon 5 7 3
know engineer 5 7 3
know geography 5 7 3
know History 5 8 3
know local 5 8 3
know planes 5 7 3
know religion 5 7 3
Linguistics 5 5 3
perception 2 5 3
ride 4 1 3
sense motive 2 4 3
sleightof hand 2 4 3
spellcraft 5 2 3
stealth 4 5 3
survival 2 5 3
swim 2 1 3
umd 3 4 3

DarkEternal
2013-04-17, 09:34 PM
In one of our recent sessions we came across staff users, and it got me thinking. I rarely ever used staves in games due to their high prices, but I went to check some stuff out, only to find out that they are not half bad for some things(I had no idea you can use your own saving DC's on spells cast from the staff, and not the staffs one, if your is higher, that is). Don't know if it deals like that with damage as well? (For instance, a staff of fireball that is level 7, used by a level 10 character, will the fireball be level 10 in terms of d6 used or level 7 as the staff? Logic would say the latter, but I was known to be wrong before)

Anyway, my question is, could Factotum use staves? It says that to use a staff, you need to have the spell inside of it on your class list. So, since Factotum has all sorcerer-wizard spells up to level 6, could he use all staves with these spells inside of them, or does it work differently due to being spell like abilities or something?

A_S
2013-04-17, 09:43 PM
A factotum doesn't have a spell list, because they don't cast spells, they use spell-like abilities which mimic spells from the sorc/wiz list. They therefore can't use staves natively, although they can UMD them as normal. A level in Chameleon solves that, though.

DarkEternal
2013-04-17, 09:56 PM
I'll be going into Chameleon eventually, but until then I wanted to see what my options were regarding this matter.

DarkEternal
2013-04-20, 06:42 AM
Any way how to cast divine spells with your int modifier being the main thing to look out for? As I look through the chameleons abilities, his divine focus seems excellent, considering yo u have access to all divine spells from all classes. I know of academic priest from dragonlance, but I'm a bit late for that one since I'm not first level anymore.

DarkEternal
2013-04-21, 10:20 AM
Also, in regards to Brains over Brawn - it says you add your int modifier to all your str and dex checks. I wonder now, do I also add Dex to it, or just the highest one? For instance, I want to tumble, I have +2 to Dex modifier. Do I add my int modifier(which is currently +5) and the Dex one to a +7 or just the highest of the two, that is, the int one?

yugi24862
2013-04-21, 10:24 AM
Both, so +7

Norin
2013-04-21, 10:25 AM
Tumble is a dex skill. Roll d20, add your ranks, add dex modifier, add synergy or other bonuses, then add int modifier on top of that.

That goes for all str and dex based checks, not only skill checks. Always add int modifier. Nice, eh? :smallsmile:

Gildedragon
2013-04-21, 04:02 PM
Int for divine spells: Archivist.

TimeWizard
2013-04-21, 04:11 PM
You can make a Sleight of Hand vs opponents Sense Motive to attack them flat-footed under the "palm a dagger/attack with a concealed weapon" rules. Might be worth keeping around after combat starts for bonus damage.