PDA

View Full Version : Trouble chosing character

Macrus
2013-02-25, 12:06 PM
I am just about to finish dming a campaign, and one of the players will be running a new campaign. He will be continuing with the same PCs from the campiagn that i ran. The problem im having is deciding what character I want to use for his campaign I want one that will help out the group ill happily play any class but I can't decide. The other two players are both monks, I was thinking a ranged or magic based class but I don't know specifics. Thank you for your comments

Macrus

Studoku
2013-02-25, 12:17 PM
You could always be a third monk. Be a trio of monks that wander the land, righting wrongs and punching things.

If you want to be useful, pretty much anything would add something to the group, though a skillmonkey with UMD would give them the skills they're missing and be able to heal/knowledge/magic. Perhaps a Bard or Rogue.

ArcturusV
2013-02-25, 12:17 PM
Well, if they're both Monks you should aim for something a little less on the power scale... and adding a lot of capability that they don't have. Least if you want to maintain a unique identity in the game. It all depends on your inclinations though and what you think is fun. I mean I wouldn't suggest a Wizard or a Cleric. You'd overshadow the monks quite a bit. I wouldn't even suggest a straight fighter doing Archery, though that's for different reasons (95% of campaigns don't seem to be set up in a way to make Archery worth the trouble, due to various factors including and not limited to the "Maximum Engagement Range" being far less than you can actually shoot with even a shortbow. Archery looses most of it's advantages when enemies always start within 100-200 feet of you at most).

If it was me? I'd throw down a Paladin. You get some fighting ability to hang with the monks. Some magic, some utility healing that they'd lack. Ability to use Scrolls/Wands of various useful spells. Plus as long as you remove the Standard Issue 10' Pole from the Paladin's backdoor, they can be pretty fun to run with.

Another I personally always wanted to run with, but never had a chance to use, would be the Shugenja class. Which is basically to a Cleric what a Sorcerer is to a Wizard. So it's a step down in raw power, limited armor/weapons. No domains. Elemental Spells only. Void Disciple PrC for them is kinda neat.

Deaxsa
2013-02-25, 12:18 PM
Well, given the fact that they're monks, i think that you A) should not have to try very hard, and B), should not be melee (for variety's sake).

honestly, this is how i would make your character (actually, this is how i would make all of your characters).

start by trying to think of who your character is. as a person. where did he come from, who were his parents, what does he like to do, etc.

then look at the current party. see if there is any way you can contribute without stepping on toes. (in your position, you basically can play as anything but a melee and do OK in this category). IF you cannot, then try and carve out your own niche. for instance, in my campaign, there is a Warblade, a Druid who only Wildshapes, and a Paladin. how do i make sure they all have their own niche? well, the paladin gets to use his mount (and laugh when i make the party roll against fear, as well has having high AC), the warblade gets this really cool magic blade stuff, and the druid does a bajillion damage. (of course, if you're having trouble carving out a niche, talk to your DM, some niches require certain environments; such as being able to ride a horse)

Finally, build the actual character. pick out his stats, classes, etc.

you HAVE to start with the character concept thought. this is a role playing game. act like it.

Macrus
2013-02-25, 12:26 PM
I like the sound of paladin apart that they are lawful good, would a crusader be any good?
Also what do you mean by "Plus as long as you remove the Standard Issue 10' Pole from the Paladin's backdoor"

Macrus

ArcturusV
2013-02-25, 12:31 PM
Well, most Paladins are played in a way that irk other players. Mostly due to the Code/Ethos they have to follow and the fact that if they don't follow it to the letter they turn into Fighters without Bonus Feats.

Part of this code which gives them a 10' pole right up the ass, is that their Code doesn't JUST define THEIR behavior, but tells them who they are allowed to consort with in any regard. So it's not a case of YOUR actions leading you to a fall but, "The guy I teamed up with wants to be evil and by being in a party with him I fall."

Which leads to Paladin players being "Mommy" for the group, telling everyone how to act, getting very preachy, throwing out a lot of ultimatums if people don't do things their way, etc.

If your DM handwaves away the "Other people..." part of the code. Then it's not so much of a problem. Or if you consciously choose to act another way and keep to the spirit of your code without being an ass to your friends around the table and telling them how they should act just so you keep your powers.

If you want something similar to a Paladin without the Code strict requirements, I might suggest the Sohei. It doesn't get a mount, instead it gets a Rage ability and a Flurry of Misses (Monk style) ability. But more or less has the same flavor with the only Alignment consideration/RPing consideration being "Be Lawful".

Shining Wrath
2013-02-25, 12:43 PM
Two monks plus you,their friend.

If you're a wizard or cleric, you are probably their boss, or will be viewed as such.
If you're a fighter or barbarian, you'll be viewed as the blunt, crude one.
A rogue makes for an interesting dynamic. Two lawful, one very not lawful.
A swordsage could be awkward, as you'll always be outclassing them at what they are supposed to be good at.
A factorum or artificer makes you the party skill monkey and doer of magic stuff.

How do you see your character fitting in?

Shining Wrath
2013-02-25, 12:44 PM
Well, most Paladins are played in a way that irk other players. Mostly due to the Code/Ethos they have to follow and the fact that if they don't follow it to the letter they turn into Fighters without Bonus Feats.

Part of this code which gives them a 10' pole right up the ass, is that their Code doesn't JUST define THEIR behavior, but tells them who they are allowed to consort with in any regard. So it's not a case of YOUR actions leading you to a fall but, "The guy I teamed up with wants to be evil and by being in a party with him I fall."

Which leads to Paladin players being "Mommy" for the group, telling everyone how to act, getting very preachy, throwing out a lot of ultimatums if people don't do things their way, etc.

If your DM handwaves away the "Other people..." part of the code. Then it's not so much of a problem. Or if you consciously choose to act another way and keep to the spirit of your code without being an ass to your friends around the table and telling them how they should act just so you keep your powers.

If you want something similar to a Paladin without the Code strict requirements, I might suggest the Sohei. It doesn't get a mount, instead it gets a Rage ability and a Flurry of Misses (Monk style) ability. But more or less has the same flavor with the only Alignment consideration/RPing consideration being "Be Lawful".

Knight. You can't turn or heal, but you can tank like few others.

nedz
2013-02-25, 05:01 PM
Obviously you should be either an anthropomorphic pig, a fish whose been turned into a man, or a dragon in the form of a horse.

Invader
2013-02-25, 06:31 PM
DFI bard seems like a great choice. Add some oomph to the monks and you have enough utility magic to help out in a ton of situations without being overshadowing like a cleric or wizard.

Alienist
2013-02-25, 10:51 PM
A low level Truenamer can do a mega-ridiculous amount of healing.

Failing that, a couple of levels of Monk and Cleric followed by Sacred Fist. Try to find a Dragon, and Polymorph Other it into a Horse (apologies for obscure reference)

Or a mage who focuses on the bigby's spells. Give them pseudo-wuxia sounding names like "Fist of Fistiness" and "Flaming Fist of Fistiness". Whenever you're in melee do Flying Buffalo Kick. Don't take any feats that would make it plausible for you to actually do a flying kick. Do cast lots of touch spells to mess up the bad guys. Deliver them (of course) with your Flying Buffalo Kick.

Warlock (hang back and provide ranged support) works well in a party with lots of melee guys. They'll be doing more damage than you, but that's the point really.

Alienist
2013-02-26, 05:45 AM
Obviously you should be either an anthropomorphic pig, a fish whose been turned into a man, or a dragon in the form of a horse.

What, no Emperor of the Apes?

Also, well done on beating me to it. **kowtow**

nedz
2013-02-26, 07:18 AM
What, no Emperor of the Apes?

I thought that would be too obvious :smallbiggrin:

elvengunner69
2013-02-26, 07:42 AM
I can't tell you home much you should NOT play a Paladin...

If you want to a heroic knightish character I would recommend Crusader or even a Cleric with War Deity. Either would be way better than a Paladin.

My recommendation though since there are already two monks would be to some sort of arcane caster. You will soon outclass the two Monks though unless choose an arcane caster that is more limited (lower tier some would say). Beguilers are a lot of fun and pretty good at battlefield control. Warmage is good if you want to be a blaster type.

mcv
2013-02-26, 07:51 AM
Mechanically, I'd go with a Bard. Adds spellcasting, buffs and skills to the group without overshadowing the monks. Very versatile and easily fluffed into whatever seems appropriate. Do the monks come from the same monastery? Maybe you were the cantor of that monastery, in charge of the music and chanting and such. Or maybe you're trying to reach enlightenment through mastery over mystic forces, instead of mastery over your own body.